PDA

View Full Version : series 3 trailer

barnfindseries3ffr
13th August 2015, 08:33 PM
Please forgive my newby question, I have a series 3 109 ffr, is there a specific trailer I should be looking for (track width? Plug differences?).

I will be taking it down some pretty tight tracks so don't want to get a trailer that is much wider than the landy itself.

Cheers for your input,
Lee

Homestar
14th August 2015, 04:28 AM
Hi Lee, while I'm no expert, I would have thought a No. 5 would have been the go. Like the pic below. Only think I don't like about the is they have no brakes, so it's a lot of trailer to be dragging around for a 750Kg limit, but they are plentiful and robust. Mick or Lotza know much more than me on the subject. Although not technically correct a narrow track Sankey gives you brakes and a greater carrying capacity. I might know where there is one for sale.

Cheers - Gav.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=97658&d=1439493918

Mick_Marsh
14th August 2015, 11:37 AM
What do you want the trailer for?
There are also workshop trailers. There are some No.5's with brakes. They are very rare though.

debruiser
15th August 2015, 06:46 AM
I have a No5 with brakes :p :wasntme:

Sorry I couldn't help but rub that in :o

Mine was originally a no-brake-model but the PO installed a set of hydraulic overrides, it now has the same track as a defender (i think that's because of hte axle length?)

Mick_Marsh
15th August 2015, 08:08 AM
I have a No5 with brakes :p :wasntme:

Sorry I couldn't help but rub that in :o

Mine was originally a no-brake-model but the PO installed a set of hydraulic overrides, it now has the same track as a defender (i think that's because of hte axle length?)
Not fitted in service.
No Brownie points for that.

debruiser
15th August 2015, 08:45 AM
Not fitted in service.
No Brownie points for that.

No not in service..... but they do make it nicera to tow! :p

barnfindseries3ffr
16th August 2015, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I'll be using it mainly for getting firewood from the forest around home plus some other domestic chores and a bit of camping cartage.
Lee

debruiser
17th August 2015, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I'll be using it mainly for getting firewood from the forest around home plus some other domestic chores and a bit of camping cartage.
Lee

Remember that the No5 doesn't normally have a tailgate (well mine doesn't) means that heavy stuff has to be lifted over the side that is 1.4m? high. Point is I took 5 wheels down to the tyre joint the other day... sometimes its a pain.

barnfindseries3ffr
17th August 2015, 07:41 AM
Good point 😀

Mick_Marsh
17th August 2015, 12:31 PM
Lee
You might be better off getting a non military 6x4, putting Landrover wheels on it and painting it Auscam.
It'll look the part and you'll get a more usable trailer for less cost.
You can get a 6x8 2t tandem for about $3k or the Haulmark 1200kg for about $8k.

barnfindseries3ffr
30th August 2015, 06:56 PM
If I was to get a usual trailer like suggested, can I get a hoop to fit the pintle? I don't want to change the hook to a tow ball.

87County
30th August 2015, 07:20 PM
If I was to get a usual trailer like suggested, can I get a hoop to fit the pintle? I don't want to change the hook to a tow ball.

That "hoop" is generally called a lunette and they are available in several different mount variations from advanced trailer shops or component manufacturers (eg. Alko)

It is also accepted that for off-road use, if you have a rotating pintle hook the lunette should be fixed, and conversely if your pintle is fixed then the lunette should rotate. If this rule isn't followed, the towing vehicle or the trailer may be damaged or even overturned.

Mick_Marsh
30th August 2015, 08:45 PM
Please forgive my newby question, I have a series 3 109 ffr, is there a specific trailer I should be looking for (track width? Plug differences?).

I will be taking it down some pretty tight tracks so don't want to get a trailer that is much wider than the landy itself.

Cheers for your input,
Lee
This might look good behind the series.
Heavy Duty Trailer 7x5 in VIC | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Heavy-duty-trailer-7x5-/321845532292?hash=item4aef7d1684)
I don't think it's ex army but it will look the part painted olive drab. The hubs look as if they're off a No.5.
It might also be too wide. You'd have to check it out in person. You can also easily put a lunette on it. I also wonder if it has brakes, which it will need.