PDA

View Full Version : How I filled a Defender Ex-box(puma).

alien
21st August 2015, 05:52 PM
Here is a picture of the end result of a little bit of wiring I did.
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2015/08/391.jpg (http://s883.photobucket.com/user/aliend2/media/SDC11450_1.jpg.html)

I ordered an Ex-box for a 2011 not realising while it's a 2011 delivery its a MY2012 rig;)
Worked out OK in the end though.

See if you can pick what does what:p

Toxic_Avenger
21st August 2015, 06:36 PM
OOOHHHH I love this game!

Looks like you have a DBS setup, a common power rail for your accessories and potentially some shenanigans going on under the factory fuse tray?
Looks like you might have a fuse under the plastic cover which is held on with 2 zip ties...
Is that an earth bus on the bottom of the pic?
Not sure where your relay beside the +ve bus is wired, but looks interesting.

PS you left a plastic zip lock baggie in there :p

Toxic_Avenger
21st August 2015, 06:39 PM
PS Nice Job!

alien
22nd August 2015, 05:47 PM
We have a early winner :arms:

To answer the raised questions...
The large zip tied box is a circuit breaker connected to the second battery bolt.
It and the large earth lead are for the rear mounted Anderson plug for the towed accommodation unit.

The only under fuse box shenanigans is a feed for the DRL's via 1 circuit of the extra fuse box.
All other circuits of the fuse box are from the second battery, used for the air compressor, 4 merits, rear light and dash feed.

The extra relay is for the under seat air compressor, switched via a Mulgo dash switch.

The zip lock bag is spare fuses and a red merit/cig lighter adaptor for the fridge.

Additional info...
The positive bus bar has been removed so it isolates the primary and second battery feeds.
The only other wires at the battery terminals are for the winch.

The original fuse box is wired from the above starter battery bolt.
From this fuse box I've got the power to 2 circuit breakers, head/driving light relays & brake controller.

My second battery dash feed does a few things...
-Power to the cigarette lighter(original acc. feed is now for the UHF & TPMS).
-Power for a double USB outlet(mounted near the passenger grab handle).
-Power for the air compressor switch.

I also want to add a thanks to Tim/Drivesafe for his patience with a few questions I had.
I think I had him worried when I said I wanted all my wiring in the Ex-box.
The bonus for me is with this set up is I can easily work on any power issues.