PDA

View Full Version : A Truly Noble Pursuit

Disco123
2nd August 2005, 07:48 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that traditional sports such as football and cricket are receiving too much attention?
Perhaps we can use this forum to reverse the trend and promote what used to be a very popular pastime. Of course I refer to the noble art of farnarckling.

It has been left to too few to carry on from the heady days of the 70's when farnarckling headed the ABC sports on a regular weekly basis with blow by blow descriptions and latest scores.

It may be time to engage some higher profile and knowledgeable sportspeople like Roy and HG to lead this revival. I seem to recall that Rampaging Roy was a fair player in his day.

DEFENDERZOOK
2nd August 2005, 08:25 PM
<span style="color:green">is that a sport...or some kind of swear word?</span> 8O

Disco123
2nd August 2005, 10:02 PM
Don't tell me I'm the only one old enough to remember farnarckling :oops:

River
3rd August 2005, 08:16 AM
yep style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

Outlaw
3rd August 2005, 10:08 AM
i play at that quite often actually (after googling and finding out what it meant) style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif :twisted:

Redback
3rd August 2005, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Disco123
Don't tell me I'm the only one old enough to remember farnarckling :oops:

Doing some now i believe 8O 8) style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif

VladTepes
3rd August 2005, 10:33 AM
Yes, one interpretation (albeit a crude one - from google):

Farnarckling - as in ****-farting around, wasting time. It's a phrase my grandfather used, as a vague way of swearing, but getting away with it in front of my grandmother. He'd say to her, "Dear, why are you farnarckling around instead of sitting down?"

This definition is rather limiting however, and doesn't really capture the essence of Farnarckling as a gentleman's pursuit.

As with many words, farnarckle has a number of meanings. It can also be a unit of spanner measurement, which preceded the whitworth system. Some mainly English manufacturers persisted with this system into more modern times. Thus it is that a 13/64 Farnarckle Wrench is required to fully strip the wiper motor in a series 2 Land Rover to its component parts.

Another appearance of farnarckling in the English language:

Many also beleive that the farnarckle is some sort of electrical device as in this quote "but will work with that power board and is even fitted with the latest flitzgurtle flashing paper farnarckling diode".

This diode is even thought my some to be the key behind the proper functioning of the horribly complex EAS system on Range Rovers.

It is, in fact, more to do with farnarckling as an alternative to swear words not able to be used in genteel company.

Other such examples include:
What a farnarckling waste
That's really farnarckling dangerous

Redback
3rd August 2005, 12:09 PM
A master of the sport i see Vlad style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif

Ace
3rd August 2005, 12:57 PM
If that is a sport i play alot more sport than i thought, why am i not fit then? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Redback
3rd August 2005, 02:16 PM
Because your type of farnarkling comes naturaly and without effort hence not being fit style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif

DEFENDERZOOK
3rd August 2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Ace
If that is a sport i play alot more sport than i thought, why am i not fit then? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

<span style="color:green">i think its because you are only doing the half of it.....
you are actually using the full word but rather a modern day abbreviated version of it.......</span>

fernockulated
14th August 2005, 03:41 PM
:roll: hmmmmmmmm,methinks my nick mite be some sort of irish /gaelic rendition of the same interpretation of the said "sport"
although it did come from a retort of the last resort ,eg;"well go and get well and truly fundamentally fernockulated,and shove it up your jumper sideways",which was normally enough to confuse and confound most opponents style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif ,i have yet to come across it anywhere else ,so who nows?????????????????????????????????????????? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif