PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew

LandyAndy
4th August 2005, 08:12 PM
Hi Guys
Homebrew,any of you brew your own?????
I have been brewing my own for 15 years or so on and off.Igot sick of all the bottling,it was just too time consuming.
I got a keg system 3 or 4 months ago,should have done it years ago much easier and the beer quality is better.
Andrew

MacMan
4th August 2005, 09:13 PM
I was a most productive brewer and lived with a prissy vegetarian gin drinker. Life was good and the beer lasted. Fast forward, vegetarian gone and replaced with 6' of carnivorous beer drinking motorcycling chick. One brew lasted less than 3 weeks and we both started turning into bargearses. Found a bottle of home brew in the back of the cupboard 3 weeks ago and I'm getting the urge.

We're talking BLACK beer you eat with a fork and can't see daylight though for love nor money.

8)

timbo
5th August 2005, 04:48 PM
My dad and I have been bottling quite a bit over the last few years. Cider is the most popular, but we have done a stout, irish red, pale ale, wheat beer...list goes on. It all turned out pretty well.

LandyAndy
5th August 2005, 07:42 PM
Hi Guys
MacMan,when I got the keg setup,it was a brew a week for 5 or 6 weeks :oops: :oops: :oops: BUT I did have help from mates.Just finished a keg of Coopers Stout with a Grumpys Belfast gold improver kit,heavy duty drop.
If any of you are into Pale Ales,the Cascade with a coopers brew enhancer 2 is mothers milk.The other Cascades are good,that rip top can is very handy.
Timbo,I would love a really good Cider recipe if you can get one,all the commercial cider and ginger beer mixes have artaficial sweetners and I dont like them.
Andrew

George130
5th August 2005, 07:43 PM
I havn't brewed beer for years. I grew up helping my gradfather. At the age of six a gave a lecture in a store for half an hour explaining all the terms and methods. I was told when I was older that I even impressed the owner with my knowledge and understanding, pitty i can't remember it now. We also used to do wine as my grandfather didn't overly like beer but was good at brewing it so used it for trading with others.

timbo
6th August 2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by LandyAndy
Timbo,I would love a really good Cider recipe if you can get one,all the commercial cider and ginger beer mixes have artaficial sweetners and I dont like them.
AndrewArtificial sweeteners?? yuk. The one I used didn't have any of that in it..ours was quite a bitter drop actually, bitter and dry. a very nice cider.

Found a great thing to chuck into a brew is a tub of honey and minus a bit of sugar to bring the primary fermentation back down to size.

Worked REALLY well on our stout. It was beautiful...but it will work much better on lighter brews, because you'll taste it more.

LandyAndy
6th August 2005, 05:40 PM
Hi Timbo
The artaficial sweetner in them is so they are still sweet after brewing,as the yeast eats the sugar leaving it "dry" to taste.I havent got a problem with it being dry,I'd prefer it that way.
Same story with gingerbeer,my mate does a wicked blow your socks of brew with double sugar,but that aftertaste of the artificial sweetners are still there.
Grumpys have a gingerbeer with no artificial sweetners,will have to order one soon.
Andrew

timbo
6th August 2005, 09:01 PM
yeah i understand how it works by not fermenting, but, what I don't understand is WHY?!?! artificial sweeteners taste like crap. they taste kinda metallic

Redback
6th August 2005, 09:55 PM
Yep i do i'm a keen homebrewer and keg mine i have two fridges and 4 kegs 1 45ltr, 2 22ltr and i 10ltr party keg for portable usege style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif powered by a sodastream gas bottle.
http://forum.australia4wd.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=239
http://forum.australia4wd.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=240

Baz.