PDA

View Full Version : Who keeps fish?

Captain_Rightfoot
2nd September 2005, 07:07 PM
Ok, who out there keeps fish?? The video below is of my 300l rainbow tank. I also have a 500l African cichlid tank which is more beautiful, but I haven't videod yet style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/amossw/fish_sm.wmv

timbo
3rd September 2005, 08:09 AM
we have some gambusia in the pond outside. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif

good mosquito control.

hiline
3rd September 2005, 08:28 AM
just love the song captain style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Captain_Rightfoot
3rd September 2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by hiline
just love the song captain style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif
I thought Yellow Submarine sung by the Muppets was perfect style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

George130
3rd September 2005, 07:15 PM
My old man's fish are now all gone. He had to sell the water feature with the house due to its size and weight. His anks are currently empty and waiting for him to start setting them up again.
He has 5 large tanks, 1 jumbo tank and a few breeding and hospital tanks. He stoped as most of his exotic fish died during the move and that his main tank poped a line and pumped itself dry.

Me well we had a couple of gold fish but they committed suicide :cry:

crump
5th September 2005, 08:13 AM
Is that a long finned variety of a Congo Tetra or has it just been a while since I saw one?

Captain_Rightfoot
5th September 2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by crump
Is that a long finned variety of a Congo Tetra or has it just been a while since I saw one?
It is a congo tetra. As they get older their fins get longer if they are in good condition. Interstingly, the ones with the black and yellow stripes are called longfin tetras, and they have short finns. :?: 8O

crump
5th September 2005, 12:15 PM
Wish I hadnt seen the video, gives me the urge again. Still got all the tanks and gear but I just seem to run in 10 year cycles when it comes to tropicals. Got a mate who is a Rainbow nut who keeps trying to get me back into it and when you see some of the Papuan species its hard to resist.They beat the hell out of the Crimson Spots I used to catch as a kid. Better not let the missus know what Im thinking, she's been at me to set up marines again so she can have some Seahorses, yep, nuthin like breeding brine shrimp to keep me busy.

EchiDna
5th September 2005, 03:02 PM
cap'n are you a member of ANGFA? - if not you should seriously consider it...

but as for the congo's, little pleco (or bristlenose?) and associated non-local plants - get them outta there!
Nothing like a fully endemic tank with rainbows, shrimp and gudgeons etc to make up a community tank.

*sigh* I miss my tanks - left em with the parents when I moved overseas.

My tanks:
Long necked tortise (with gambusia feeder fish style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif ) in a 48x24x24
papua rainbow tank (60x24x24)
Aussie rainbow tank (60x18x18)
smaler breeding and quarantine tanks (24x12x18)x4

disco95
10th September 2005, 06:31 PM
Nice, that's one mighty big fish that fll out of the tank at the end :!: style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

I'm into Cichlids myself, I love their personalities. Only got 1 135 litre tank running at present. 4" Tangerine zebra, two pleco's who are getting to about 6" each, a couple of little fish (dwindling population) tetras and such, and an albino type cat fish with red fins about 4" long. Can't remember what he's called, weird shape though, big body little head style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif
They're beginning to outgrow the tank now , the big tank's nearly ready for them.

Andyc626
23rd September 2005, 08:19 PM
G'Day,
I used to work in a aquarium for years.I had tanks all over the house.
I love natives and cichlids,I used to breed Haplochromis moorii and
Aulonocara nyassae.I would love to set the tanks up again(although it
drives everyone mad)and get my hands on some Tropheus moorii and some tropheus duboisi.

Erin. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif :wink:

Grizzly_Adams
25th September 2005, 01:47 AM
I use to have a lovely 100+ltr (approx) tank that was my fathers before he passed away.

Unfortunately after a spit up with my partner at the time, she went and sold it before I could organise to get it and the fish moved :cry:

I now have a small 54ltr tank with a 2 x catfish (1 x Bristlenose and 1 x other that I can't remember his name). I had some tetra's and some other fishees (including a black sharky thingy) but they all seemed to have either died or disappeared over time..

It was bizarre - I just couldn't figure out how the biggest fish in the tank could disappear overnight 8O

Captain_Rightfoot
25th September 2005, 06:42 AM
Good to see so many fishkeepers around here.

I'm going through problems here because one of my cichlids got sick, and then got picked on, and got his tail bitten off! 8O 8O So I removed him, and medicated him and he got physically better.. but then I put him back int he main tank and all his old mates are trying to take him down style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif

cal415
26th September 2005, 11:01 PM
Gday,
I am a fish keeper, although i am currently selling off all my tanks, i have a 5ft, a 3ft and a 4ft for sale, at one stage i had about 15 tanks running but i just dont get the time for it any more.

I have kept and bred heaps of cichlids - Discus, oscars, dovii, eye biters, lionheads, red devils, and heaps of others, at the moment all i have left is a large male Dovii, a few eye biters and a sail fin pleco.

Its a good hobby if you have the time..

disco95
27th September 2005, 07:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>It was bizarre - I just couldn't figure out how the biggest fish in the tank could disappear overnight
[/b][/quote]

I had that happen to my green terror, then I found him 2 weeks later all brown and hard behind the stand. :roll:

I really liked my green terrors, bought one, she kept laying eggs, so I bought a male to mate. They mated, I read that they'll work together as parents, don't need to seperate them, then the male ate all the babies, bit, by bit. Once they were all gone he ate the female. :roll:
Then he got really sick, thought it may have been hole in the head, but he got a bit better before he finally commited suicide.

Captain_Rightfoot
27th September 2005, 07:51 PM
Fish can be viscous. One of our cichlid is an outcast... whenever we put him in the tank the other beat on him so bad that in 24 hours they nearly killed him style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif

Now he has to stay in the hospital tank until we work out what to do with him? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif

cal415
27th September 2005, 10:03 PM
Yeh i have had some nasty fish like that, none worse then my Dovii i currently have, he shared my 600L tank with my breeding pair of oscars, divided the tank with a barrier of course, he never liked the oscars and then one day he knocked down the barrier and killed them both.......

he is about 14-15in and they were about 12in, it really ****ed me off, took me so long to raise them oscars from 1-2in and get a pair from my original 12. part of the reason i want to get rid of him!!

101RRS
1st December 2005, 10:10 AM
So why does my dwarf guoarmi (spellin?)only swim in anti-clockwise circles of about 6" in diameter. It never swims straight or in a clockwise direction.

Some have said it is coriolis (spelling?) others have said it is blind in its right eye.

Any ideas?

Gazz

abaddonxi
1st December 2005, 10:39 AM
Had a texan cichlid for six years, got it when it was two inches long, ate the tank out in a week.

When it died of extreme bad temper it was 14" long and had a 4'x2'x2' tank all to itself.

Gave up on fish, too much death to explain to the kids.

Cheers
Simon

Captain_Rightfoot
1st December 2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by garrycol
So why does my dwarf guoarmi (spellin?)only swim in anti-clockwise circles of about 6" in diameter. It never swims straight or in a clockwise direction.

Some have said it is coriolis (spelling?) others have said it is blind in its right eye.

Any ideas?

Gazz
Absolutely NO IDEA on this https://www.aulro.com/afvb/

I do have two gourami though, so I'll have a special look at them tonight and see if they do anything similar.

101RRS
1st December 2005, 02:08 PM
My other gouramis do all the right things though

Lionelgee
31st January 2018, 08:21 PM
Hello All,

I am reviving an old thread instead of forming a new one.

I found a link that states for Fancy Gold Fish the tank size should be... "30 gallons (36 US gallons, 140 litres) for the first fish; with an extra 10 gallons (12 US gallons, 45 litres) for each extra fish. The tank needs to have a minimum length of 3 feet to allow swimming room" Accessed 31st January 2018 from, Fishkeeping - Goldfish Size, Life Expectancy and Tank Recommendations - Coldwater Articles - Articles (http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_74/goldfish-size-life-expectancy.htm).

Is the figure of140 litres for a single Fancy Gold Fish correct? Plus, it seems 45 litres on top of the 140 litres for every extra Fancy Gold Fish.

Also, what would be a good reference book for keeping Gold Fish in Australia?

Kind Regards
Lionel