PDA

View Full Version : Trailer in Simpson Desert

Michael2
14th September 2005, 10:39 PM
Does any one have any opinions on towing a trailer across the Simpson Desert? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif 8O :!: :?: style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Now, before you call me mad, I'll explain: :wink:

Most Australian, literature / opinion seems to recommend against this, whereas European literature, mostly pertaining to Sahara crossings, recommends trailers - Mainly due to the longer distances (thus more fuel & water); the advantage of being able to spread the weight over 3 instead of 2 axles; and a less cluttered passanger compartment. The Land Rover book by Tom Sheppard on Expedition Preparation also recommends trailers.

I'm planning a trip across next year with a couple of friends who are taking their families (4 and 5 people per vehicle). We plan to do the trip East - West, while this means ascending the steeper side of dunes, it also means the least churned up side of dunes.

Okay, now tell me what you reckon.

JDNSW
14th September 2005, 11:02 PM
I am speaking from the experience of nearly two years living in the Simpson Desert in the sixties, so my knowledge is a bit dated - but my total experience of the conditions may well be more than most, and I doubt if the desert has changed much in forty years.

It is possible to travel with a trailer in the desert, but you are making things a lot more difficult for yourself if you do. A major difference between the Simpson (and most other Australian Deserts) and typical African or middle east deserts is that the Australian deserts have sand ridges not isolated (usually crescentic) dunes. This means that it is impossible to avoid driving across them, unless you confine yoour travel to one direction. Further, most tracks across the Australian deserts started life as survey lines that went straight regardless of sandhills, where in Africa or the middle east most tracks started as camel tracks that deliberately followed the line of least resistance. The result is that in Australian Deserts, you have far more travel uphill on sand than in Africa or Asia. (and downhill, but that is not a problem) And this is where a trailer is a problem; not only are you more likely to fail in your first attempt at the hill, but the consequences of failing are a lot worse - ever tried backing a trailer in loose sand down a steep hill? Leaving a trailer at the foot of a sandhill and winching it up is not a big deal the first couple of times - but if you have to do it every half kilometre, it will rapidly wear thin.
When I was working there we had trailers - but they were only moved when the camp moved and we learnt from experience that we needed to have a bulldozer available.
The problem with the idea that three axles are better than two is that the third axle is unpowered. If you proposed powered trailers, the problems are less, but they introduce their own problems. You would also find that far from spreading the same weight over three axles, you would end up with a lot more weight. The secret to easy desert travel is travel light!
East to West is much more difficult than West to East - the steepness of the slope is by far the most important factor,
Hope this helps.

walker
14th September 2005, 11:05 PM
Michael,
I have been accross the Simpson twice in the last 2 years. My opinion is that if you can pack light enough to not need one it would be better but you will not have any problems towing a trailer across.

The main proviso on this is that it is a good offroad trailer.

I went across last time with a rooftop tent, on the roof of caurse, but for the next trip I plan to have the tent on a trailer. I think you are right that it spreads the load, it is also a lot easier on the vehicle springs and shocks.

The main reason experts say not to take a trailer is because the fall apart, not just in the desert but on the corrogations getting there. In my opinion I would not take a trailer with leaf springs but only one with independent coils. You also need to make sure you take plenty of spares for the trailer, especially wheel bearings. I think ik you would want to have brakes on the trailer also, preferably electric.

There were plenty of people with offroad campers travelling across the Simpson this year. They were all of the good quality type. We did meet 2 people who had offroad trailers with leaf springs and they had both had to make running reapirs both before and in the desert.

Lastly, don't fill the trailer. Just because you have the extra room in the trailer does not mean you have to use it. The lighter you pack the easier the trip will be.

Michael2
15th September 2005, 02:53 AM
Great responses, thanks.

One guy (2 adults 2 kids) is hoping he can take an off-road camper, he was thinking behind a 100 series, but he's now convinced he should get a Defender style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

The other guy (2 adults 3 kids) has a S1 V8 Disco (and hence no room), though he may be replacing that.

I've got an off road trailer, it's got a light chassis - U section steel with big holes like an aeroplane frame - looks military. It is leaf sprung with 7.50x16 tyres on Land Rover rims. It has a couple of hydraulic resitance arm/canister things on the axle that have had the linkages disconnected 8O . I've had a steel tub with front and back tailgates made up for it. I was thinking of slightly extending the draw bar for better manueverability and fitting an off-road hitch; fitting shocks; slinging a spare tyre underneath; as well as a caravan type water tank; and maybe electric brakes; and lending it to the 2nd guy. (he pays for the mods - I've already got the hitch and water tank, and he gets to use it for his trip to the Simpson - Broome - Perth - Melb).

I'm hoping to take my SIII, 2 adults and travel light.

My fear is that if there are no trailers, I'll become a mule and I don't want to overload the Landy. If we do take trailers, I'll have a capstan winch, which would be better for continuous use than electric, but I don't want to stuff up my winch repeatedly towing trailers up sand dunes.

I'll pass your feedback onto these guys. Please keep the comments coming.

Captain_Rightfoot
15th September 2005, 07:22 AM
I've only been to the simpson once, but we went a long way off the beaten path. We travelled in the simpson for 10 days, and carried enough water, 260 litres of fuel, and enough food and camping gear for 2 people + child in a defender with no roof rack. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

As has been said, light is the most important thing, but then if you're just driving the French Track which is pretty much a road you'll be fine. You can't get into too much trouble with that much traffic around. I think you'll have some unpleasant times getting over the sandhills but you won't die or anything and it's your choice and you'll have to live with it. 8O

If you are intending leaving the track you'll be in real trouble. Unless you just travel nnw/sse you are going to have to cross dunes. What's more, you'll need to cross big dunes. There were many where our party had to have a number of goes and we weren't towing. 8O 8O

When we were going in there was a guy towing a trailer. When we came out that same trailer was there abandoned full of gear because it broke. Turns out he sold it to the servo owner for two tanks of fuel 8O

Good luck!

walker
15th September 2005, 09:59 AM
Hey Captain, I can't agree with you on your comments about the French Line. It is true that it is the most travelled, so you will see plenty of people, but it is also the most difficult and hardest track on the vehicle.

Most people who take trailers get of the French line ASAP and travel around some of the other tracks such as the Rig Rd and Knolls tk. Even without a trailer this would be my suggestion as it breaks up the trip a bit and puts variety into the driving. Both Tracks mentioned are clay top tracks so they are a bit bumpier put you do not have the bad sand drifts on top of the ridges.
IMHO I would stay away from theWAA line if you are doing the trip fro the first time with a trailer, I reckon it is probably the hardest (the most fun) and is similar to the French Line but a lot rougher.

Michael2
15th September 2005, 03:12 PM
We haven't determined a definate route, but I was toying with the option of entering the desert further south through the clay pan / salt pan areas.
Warburton and Rig or K1 tracks.

We'd do some exursions to the border area (Poeppel Cnr) and then we were hoping to head for the East McDonell ranges by traversing the Colson Tk.

I've since learned that the track is closed, but one of the guys is hoping that we may do it anyway by somehow getting a permit :roll:

Has anyone done the Colson Tk? What's it like? How would a roaming trip like this go with a trailer as opposed to a straight out crossing?

You can see that such a trip would put an increased fuel load on the group.

Any ideas?

walker
15th September 2005, 05:33 PM
We were thinking of doing the Colson track this year (well I was anyway) but it was the fuel issue which stopped us. I have a V8 Disco so I carried 205litres just to do the Simpson. You would have to add a lot more for Colson Track.

Michael2
16th September 2005, 09:37 PM
Happy to confirm (pending delivery) that one other vehicle for the trip is a Defender (02) style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

Redback
18th September 2005, 05:04 PM
Michael we have just returned about 1 month ago from the Simpson and we crossed with our trailer, we had no problems and was told that we did the hard route a east/west crossing on the French line, do it you'll have no problem at all.

It is recommended that you take the Rig Rd with a camper, but it is still alright to do the other tracks, just reduce your pressures to 18 to 22psi, on the car and 22psi on the camper.

http://www.4wdlinks.com.au/albums/bazzar/ajx.sized.jpg
http://www.4wdlinks.com.au/albums/bazzar/akr.sized.jpg
http://www.4wdlinks.com.au/albums/bazzar/aji.sized.jpg

Baz.

barney
22nd January 2006, 11:10 PM
OF COURSE IT CAN BE DONE.
in 2002 we travelled in a convoy of 6 vehicles at the height of the drought when the sand was softest. the trip leader had made a camper trailer that was very well designed for off road but was really heavy, he was in a 200tdi disco and had done the trip many times without a trailer as a tour leader. another towed a cavalier camper with a new playdoh, he was not very experienced but we figure that this wouldn't be a problem since 4 of the drivers in the group had 15 to 20 yrs 4wd experienc under their belts.
we went from east to west, the first obstacle, big red, was too much for the disco and being a clever bloke, he saw the rest of us up, then turned around to take the warbuton track and meet us at the knolls 2 days later, we weren't leaderless however as his off sider was in our group in a 130. maybe 10-15 times on soft dunes over the next 2 days we had to recover the guy with the trailer, once we got onto the harder clay capped tracks they were fine though.
after 1 or 2, maybe up to 5 recoveries we were enjoying the challenge and adventure, butthis started to wear thin when we were falling way behind schedule.
it didn't help that this clown wouldn't listen to advice either, but that aside it really tasted everyone's patience after a while and could have got a lot worse had we not all been reasonable sane.
my advice is that if you can whittle your gear down so that you don't need a trailer, then don't take a trailer. its nice to be comfortable when you camp but you are on a desert trip in one of the most harsh landscapes on the planet.
food, water and fuel is all you need, everything else is ballast and expendable. pack in order of importance for survival.
water, food, fuel, warm things for night, recovery gear (cook on shovel)
have a good trip.
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/
this ute of mine was carrying 220L of petrol,60L of water, 40L engel, esky, food and cooking gear (2 weeks supply) swag, camera gear, clothes and recovery gear. as the petrol in the tank was used, it was transferred from the jerrys in the tray, and the empties were them moved to the top of the rack to keep the weight low

seqfisho
23rd January 2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by barney

this ute of mine was carrying 220L of petrol,60L of water, 40L engel, esky, food and cooking gear (2 weeks supply) swag, camera gear, clothes and recovery gear. as the petrol in the tank was used, it was transferred from the jerrys in the tray, and the empties were them moved to the top of the rack to keep the weight low

Yeah but try fitting all of that in a disco with 3 people on board 8O

barney
23rd January 2006, 05:28 PM
i know what you mean.
but like i said, "it can be done" it has the potential to not only sully an otherwise magical trip but depending on your travelling companions, could test your friendship aswell.
one good idea would be to make sure that the trailer can be attached to any of the vehicles, with our trip, every one of the non-towing vehicles was unable to attach the heavy trailer to it for one reason or another. he had a treg hitch on it attached to a hayman-reece style bar, but it was not standard dimentions and wouldn't fit the other recievers and my towball was welded on, which was frustrationg because mine was the only one that sailed over all of the dunes. (the only petrol V8 in the group)

seqfisho
23rd January 2006, 06:04 PM
point taken, and if your going to lug it, dont expect anyone to help you or waste their time dragging you out of the poop always.

in other words be prepared to be self sufficient and if not then you shouldn't be taking it.

barney
23rd January 2006, 06:40 PM
i know we should all have the all for one, one for all attitude in a situation like this. but when you are with people day in day out that you only see occasionally, small traits of their personalities emerge and it's unfortunate but true that when you really want them to help you out, is when they'll let you down the most (it's all proportional).
four weeks of this and we learned to just walk away for a while and have some "me" time. it worked really well for the whole trip.

Captain_Rightfoot
23rd January 2006, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by seqfisho+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seqfisho)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-barney

Yeah but try fitting all of that in a disco with 3 people on board 8O[/b][/quote]
We managed to fit everything we needed including 260l of fuel, 110 of water, a 40l engel, and everything else we needed in our defender on our simpson trip. We were totally packed though https://www.aulro.com/afvb/ We now have a roof rack and pod, and I think next time we'll be comfortable https://www.aulro.com/afvb/

As to the trailer, with my limited experience I think the answer is depends https://www.aulro.com/afvb/. When we were there it had rained recently, and the French line was easy going. A crippled FWD playdo had no trouble. We even saw a subaru outback towing a camper trailer on his own!.

So, if you have conditions like we did the French track with a trailer would be doable. We spent most of our time off defined tracks. In these 8 days I can only remember getting past second low on a handfull of occasions. https://www.aulro.com/afvb/ There is no way known I would attempt a trip like this with a trailer.

However, people I trust have been there numerous times tell me that the sand was really easy when we were there with all the rain. They tell me that when it's really dry it can be a nightmare. I think if you hit it with a trailer when it's bad you'll look at a tent and say that the small loss in comfort easily offset the pain you felt during the day.

This is IMHO https://www.aulro.com/afvb/

stevo68
24th January 2006, 04:52 PM
Hey all,

Just wanted to say great thread and wonderful to read some of you travelling/ camping experiences, it just make me chomp on the bit to get out ( soon hopefully) and have some of my own experiences,

Regards

Stevo