PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Mercedes?..Hello RRS

DrFox1969
29th March 2016, 02:09 PM
My last daily driver was a 2013 Mercedes ML350BT which was a great car and I considered a new GLE500 for a while, as well as a Porsche Cayenne S before deciding on a Range Rover.

After a 5 month wait (actually to the day!!) I picked up the keys last week to my first Land Rover product, a 2016 RRS SDV8 HSE Dynamic. Handover was good apart from the missing tow pack which started a slight issue with the dealer principal, after they tried to suggest it was my fault that it wasn?t ordered. This got resolved and it will be fitted in the next few weeks, however it did leave me with some negative impressions regarding the dealership.

The car didn?t get driven much for the first few days, but with an Easter weekend full of day trips I finally had the chance to put it through its paces?.first impressions are it?s an awesome vehicle and I thought I would share a few observations.

Coming from the ML, it certainly seems to be larger inside the cabin, much more spacious, but not sure about the boot space as this seems to be narrower in the RRS. Luxury wise it?s in a different class. Even the wife commented that ?it makes the Mercedes look cheap in comparison!!!?

The ride is very good, the car just seems to waft along at freeway speeds however it also loves the twisty stuff in Dynamic and Sport mode. It?s certainly no lightweight sports car and the Cayenne is certainly more of a driver focused SUV, but then I didn?t buy the RRS for that purpose.

I did struggle with the seats at first but after a few days I managed to find a comfortable seat position. Storage space in the cabin is a little limited and I know others have commented on this before. I certainly notice it compared to the Mercedes.

Meridian Surround system is pretty good. I?m no expert in this field but it is definitely a step up from the HK system in the Merc (which I also used to think was good).

Adaptive cruise control is simple and effective to use and was a good option choice in my opinion.

I know this is a well-known issue, but the front parking sensors not working automatically is an annoying matter. I raised this with the dealer at handover and they didn?t know how to turn them on automatically. I found the setting in the main setup screen and turned on auto, but it re-sets each time the vehicle is turned off. I am aware of a software upgrade for this so will have the dealer look at this soon.

In control apps seems to be a waste of money. The apps available in Australia are limited and the ones which are available provide no better functionality than the infotainment system provides as standard. Unless things improve in the future my recommendation would be to not tick this on your options list.

The surround cameras work well and provide good views; however I would have liked the picture quality to be better.

The much-maligned infotainment system is actually better than I was expecting. After a little practice I can find most functions easily. I think the criticism regarding the speed of the system is warranted and this is an area which needs improvement. As a comparison, I had a new Mercedes C250 as a loan car over xmas and the infotainment system/satnav was incredibly slow to react, much slower than the RRS in fact. Just shows that this issue is not limited to JLR systems.

The Sat Nav system is good and seems on a par with other systems I have used, even if the graphics are a little dated. Works fine though and is perfectly functional.

The V8 diesel engine is a monster. Clearly not as quick or powerful as a supercharged V8 but it pulls very well and has a nice V8 growl to accompany rising revs, with buckets full of torque. It is surprising just how quick you can pile on speed with very little effort?..something I will need to be careful of or risk the inevitable speeding fines!!! It?s not the right time to be measuring fuel efficiency as I am enjoying the new engine too much at the moment. :D

When it comes to looks it certainly has to be one of the best looking SUV?s around. I spec?d mine with Indus Silver, Contrast Santorini roof and custom coloured Style 508 22 inch wheels. Along with the Dynamic pack black trim I am very happy with the colour scheme. I even had the LR badges changed to the old black/silver ones to keep with the colour of the dynamic pack.

A few days after collection the car went to a local detailer for Opticoat Pro paint protection to be applied to exterior and wheels. Window tints were fitted and interior fabric leather protection also applied.

The final results are fantastic (see pics) and I?m certainly looking forward to spending more time on the road??..and I don?t miss the Mercedes at all!!! [biggrin]

CSBrisie
29th March 2016, 04:49 PM
Great write up - good to hear from more RRS owners too. I've got the same V8 in my older heavier Vogue and am more than happy with the performance so I expect in a much (600kg!) lighter RRS it must be quite something!!!
Perfect car for jaunts to the Barossa, Clare, McLaren Vale..etc
cheers

LRD414
29th March 2016, 05:35 PM
Excellent write-up. Looks awesome, would love to try one. Do you have any plans for touring/offroading?

Scott

huggies
29th March 2016, 06:25 PM
Looks fantastic. Enjoy, Great Write Up

Sent from my MotoG3 using AULRO mobile app

DrFox1969
30th March 2016, 10:55 AM
Great write up - good to hear from more RRS owners too. I've got the same V8 in my older heavier Vogue and am more than happy with the performance so I expect in a much (600kg!) lighter RRS it must be quite something!!!
Perfect car for jaunts to the Barossa, Clare, McLaren Vale..etc
cheers

Thanks Brisie. Car is effortlessly quick, but at the same time is a smooth and relaxing cruiser.....I think i'm going to enjoy this one!! lol

Agree with your comments about jaunts to the wine regions of SA........I was up at a few vineyards in Adelaide Hills over the weekend. Problem is I need a driver for the way back....hic......and not sure I'm ready to hand the keys over yet!!! :D

DrFox1969
30th March 2016, 10:59 AM
Excellent write-up. Looks awesome, would love to try one. Do you have any plans for touring/offroading?

Scott

Hi Scott,

I suppose its the old question....why buy a Range Rover when you don't plan to go off-road?!

Generally the car will stick to the black stuff (especially with my wheels!!! :D), but that's the beauty of a RRS, equally as happy on the road and off it.

Some long distance trips are definitely being planned though!!!

SBD4
30th March 2016, 09:12 PM
Beautiful Car. Good to read that you are enjoying it.

rar110
30th March 2016, 09:17 PM
I have the 3.6 tdv8 and am impressed by how smooth a motor it is. I understand the 4.4 is better.

Nice write up. Don't be a stranger. Keep us updated on your experiences. It's a nice looking vehicle, except for those tyres (from a touring perspective). I assume the rims are 20"?

DrFox1969
31st March 2016, 12:26 PM
I have the 3.6 tdv8 and am impressed by how smooth a motor it is. I understand the 4.4 is better.

Nice write up. Don't be a stranger. Keep us updated on your experiences. It's a nice looking vehicle, except for those tyres (from a touring perspective). I assume the rims are 20"?

Hi rar110,

Rims are 22's.

Tyres are standard OEM Continental CrossContact? LX Sport 275/40/22. Predominantly for road use and general off road use according to Continental. They are definitely not 4x4 off road tyres!!!

99% of the time the car will be on the black stuff, so the tyres will do the job for me. If the car was going to be spending much time off road I would be going for smaller diameter rims.

Jkay
9th April 2016, 07:14 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, that's a great looking Range Rover Sport, and I love how the wheels (colour and design) go with the Indus Silver paintwork ...

Ps Just out of curiosity, I wonder why this thread was moved from the L405/L494 section when this post is specifically about an L494?

Barryp
10th April 2016, 05:09 PM
It would make more sense and less confusion if all RRS were under the Range Rover area of the site.
Regards
Barry

Jkay
10th April 2016, 05:29 PM
It would make more sense and less confusion if all RRS were under the Range Rover area of the site.
Regards
Barry

Agree with the above. The old Range Rover Sport shared the same chassis as the discovery

The new Range Rover Sport (L494) shares more with the Range Rover

Seeing as there's a section on here called L405/L494, and the car in this thread is an L494, wouldn't it would be more appropriate to have this in the L494 section ?

At the moment there's both an L494 section and a Range Rover Sport (presumably the old model rrs) section

LandyAndy
10th April 2016, 05:29 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, that's a great looking Range Rover Sport, and I love how the wheels (colour and design) go with the Indus Silver paintwork ...

Ps Just out of curiosity, I wonder why this thread was moved from the L405/L494 section when this post is specifically about an L494?

It was shifted here by mistake,it is marked to be shifted to the L494 area by the moderator involved.
Andrew

LandyAndy
10th April 2016, 05:33 PM
Agree with the above. The old Range Rover Sport shared the same chassis as the discovery

The new Range Rover Sport (L494) shares more with the Range Rover

Seeing as there's a section on here called L405/L494, and the car in this thread is an L494, wouldn't it would be more appropriate to have this in the L494 section ?

At the moment there's both an L494 section and a Range Rover Sport (presumably the old model rrs) section

The old D3/D4 RRS models will continue to be here,they share nothing with the new RRS.
The new RRS will continue to be in the fully fat Rangie area as it is now a tru baby rangie.We are working on adjusting the forum titles to reflect this clearer.
Thanks
Andrew

Jkay
10th April 2016, 06:20 PM
Ah thanks for clearing that up Andrew

simmo1
10th April 2016, 08:03 PM
A comment. Most of the driveline and electrickery are common. I wonder about the D5. I guess that will likely be much like the current rrs. I don't see the need to change at least untill the D5 arrives.
Simmo

DrFox1969
11th April 2016, 11:23 AM
Ah thanks for clearing that up Andrew

Hi JKay, fancy seeing you on here!!!

I haven't been able to get online this weekend, however I did get a PM from Mark (one of the Mods) on Saturday saying the post had been moved from L494 section to the older RRS section.

On Sunday this decision was reversed as it seems the Mods had a discussion about the best location for this thread. I think Andrew also cleared this up in his message above.

All resolved and no harm done.

DrFox1969
2nd May 2016, 11:35 AM
Went for a blast up in the Adelaide Hills wine region for a few hours yesterday.

Dynamic and Sport modes used to full effect......fantastic afternoon.

Here are a few shots coming up to sunset.........with exhaust ticking away in the background [biggrin]

Disco-tastic
2nd May 2016, 12:17 PM
Looks very, very nice.

*cough*jealous*cough* :p

Cheers

Dan

Jkay
3rd May 2016, 05:38 AM
Love those latest shots DrFox

Glad you're enjoying the car!

above and beyond
17th July 2016, 04:22 PM
Nice!!
You have put together a good looking Rangie!! Dr Fox :)

DrFox1969
25th July 2016, 01:01 PM
Nice!!
You have put together a good looking Rangie!! Dr Fox :)

Thanks for your message.

4 months and 6000 km's into ownership and loving the car.

Just done a 2000 km plus road trip from Adelaide to Melbourne, then back over 4 days along the Great Ocean Road. 2 adults, 2 kids and a weeks worth of clothing/gear. The car never missed a beat although i did think the luggage space was a little smaller than my Mercedes ML and was piled high so I could not use the rear mirror. I rarely fill up the luggage space so much so not really an issue.

Very comfortable long distance cruiser from Adelaide to Melbourne......stick it in cruise at 110kph and relax. Only used 2/3 of a tank so was also impressed by the economy.

Then on the GOR it was great along the twisty roads although with the family in tow it was not a time to be putting the foot down. A few shots below of the Rangie en route.

Went through some horrendous weather on the way back from Mt Gambier with monsoon rain and heavy winds, but the RRS was firm and steady, even at speed through standing water.

Great road trip in a fantastic car. Hope you like yours when it arrives.

benbsb29
9th July 2020, 10:32 AM
My first post on this forum, and what a place to start, than on this thread.
Beautiful car, and thanks a lot for sharing your experiences with it. Love the pics too.

As a prospective future owner for a pre-owned RRS, i am going through ownership threads to learn more about the experience. If you dont mind sharing, what are the average service costs like?

Bails
10th July 2020, 09:24 PM
My first post on this forum, and what a place to start, than on this thread.
Beautiful car, and thanks a lot for sharing your experiences with it. Love the pics too.

As a prospective future owner for a pre-owned RRS, i am going through ownership threads to learn more about the experience. If you dont mind sharing, what are the average service costs like?

Service costs to date have been very reasonable. for instance about halve a V10 Touareg and 40% of the cost of my wife's SQ5.

I have change brake pads to REDstuff , ECB is the brand , other than this change very little done. I have two sets of wheels 20 inch and the 22 inch the car came with. Now have 112,000 k's , car runs well , did have some issue with the oil seeping down the cable into the turbo ECU , fixed under warranty now about 19 months ago. All in all 2016 model without add-blue is the SDV8 to get IMO.

Pedro_The_Swift
17th July 2020, 11:37 AM
What year did the diesels get adblu?

CSBrisie
19th July 2020, 11:57 AM
MY17 onwards