PDA

View Full Version : VW Amorak V6 diesel coming

bob10
7th May 2016, 04:52 PM
Sounds like Land Rover has missed the boat again, regarding engine power. [ The new LR Defender? ]

https://www.mr4x4.com.au/volkswagen-amarok-v6-diesel-announced/?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Volkswagen+set+to+release+the+most+pow erful+4X4+ute+in+2017&utm_campaign=Newsletter+%23145

PAT303
7th May 2016, 07:28 PM
Why,do you know what engine the defender is getting?. Pat

frantic
7th May 2016, 10:06 PM
My question is why haven't they/ when will they ,make a 7 seat wagon version like virtually every other ute manufacturer has done. Hilux-fortuner, ranger-Everest, triton-challenger, dmax-mux, and of course the best defender 110/130 2-5 seat ute/tray-defender7 seat wagon(originally series I,II,III with a up to 12 seat wagon!)

stuee
7th May 2016, 11:52 PM
Still don't like the idea of not having a dual speed transfer case. Its like saying the evoque is a proper offroader because it has a 9 speed transmission...

Sounds like a lovely motor though.

BMKal
8th May 2016, 12:00 AM
Still don't like the idea of not having a dual speed transfer case. Its like saying the evoque is a proper offroader because it has a 9 speed transmission...

You can get low range in a manual transmission. Only the 8 speed auto is single range. ;)

Stuart02
8th May 2016, 01:10 AM

Mr Pepper believes the auto is every bit as capable offroad, and with that much torque it'll only be more so. I think the question mark is how much offroad towing would strain the box and brakes

Sent from my SM-G900I using AULRO mobile app

Stuart02
8th May 2016, 01:12 AM
My question is why haven't they/ when will they ,make a 7 seat wagon version like virtually every other ute manufacturer has done. Hilux-fortuner, ranger-Everest, triton-challenger, dmax-mux, and of course the best defender 110/130 2-5 seat ute/tray-defender7 seat wagon(originally series I,II,III with a up to 12 seat wagon!)

It's been hinted at all along but yeah, I'd love to see them show Ford how it's done!

Sent from my SM-G900I using AULRO mobile app

Slunnie
8th May 2016, 10:48 AM
Sounds like Land Rover has missed the boat again, regarding engine power. [ The new LR Defender? ]

https://www.mr4x4.com.au/volkswagen-amarok-v6-diesel-announced/?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Volkswagen+set+to+release+the+most+pow erful+4X4+ute+in+2017&utm_campaign=Newsletter+%23145

I reckon by then the new one will have a 2.0TD Ingenium diesel and 6sp manual. There is that down sizing trend, and the motor is there ready to go. And, I think it will come in the "powerful" 110kw spec, because that's how much power a Defender gets. :D

PAT303
8th May 2016, 11:43 AM

People didn't like the idea of constant 4wd,power steering,A/C,automatics etc either.Personally the only thing I don't like is the fact it's taken so long to do it,smart idea. Pat

frantic
8th May 2016, 12:21 PM
I reckon by then the new one will have a 2.0TD Ingenium diesel and 6sp manual. There is that down sizing trend, and the motor is there ready to go. And, I think it will come in the "powerful" 110kw spec, because that's how much power a Defender gets. :D

And that's great for Europe, the rest of the world prefers larger capacity for their 4wds. The amarok won numerous awards but in actual sales is struggling, and that's down to a few main things, first being engine displacement, people would rather buy a less capable triton /,hilux/ Colorado/ Dmax/rangaBT with 25-60% larger capacity engine in the belief that it's not being worked as hard. The others are parts and service location

Slunnie
8th May 2016, 12:32 PM
And that's great for Europe, the rest of the world prefers larger capacity for their 4wds. The amarok won numerous awards but in actual sales is struggling, and that's down to a few main things, first being engine displacement, people would rather buy a less capable triton /,hilux/ Colorado/ Dmax/rangaBT with 25-60% larger capacity engine in the belief that it's not being worked as hard. The others are parts and service location
I agree, the VW TDV6 is a great motor and its a smart move putting it into the Amarok. Likewise I agree that LR should have a TDV6 in the next Defender. Actually, the LR 3.0 TDV6 needs a revamp too for the next models if its going to keep up with the competition.

BMKal
8th May 2016, 12:44 PM
I originally thought the same about the small 2 litre engine capacity. I very nearly bought an Amarok instead of the D4, mainly based on price comparison. The only thing that put me off at the time was the fact that the Amarok was only available then with the 6 speed manual, and I was going to be using it mainly in the city. I also got offered a very good deal on a demo D4, which I bought.

My son now has an Amarok Highline 2.0 litre diesel with 8 speed auto, and I've lost my reservations about the size of the engine in these things. It blows the doors off my Disco, and is a bloody nice ute to drive. Engine never feels like it is "working" hard at all - in fact it feels more "relaxed" than my Disco (possibly due at least in part to the 8 speed auto vs the 6 speed in my Disco). Bloody big ute though - it's not until you park one alongside other vehicles that you really appreciate the size of these things. We took some photos of it parked between D2 and D4 recently, and it makes both Discos look small. :o

I have driven both the Amarok and the 3.2l Ranger diesel (which was another of my preferred options) - and would choose the Amarok over the Ford any day of the week. ;)

Off road - the low gearing of the VW auto and the torque of this engine is plenty good enough - I have driven the thing loaded with firewood and pulling a trailer with another couple of tonne of wood behind it, and it didn't struggle at all.

Must admit though, that I would still be more likely to consider a 3.0l V6 diesel version of the Amarok if looking at a replacement for the Disco.

stuee
8th May 2016, 01:26 PM
You can get low range in a manual transmission. Only the 8 speed auto is single range. ;)

Now that would make a tidy car. Its a shame they dont offer the transfer case and full time 4wd with the auto.

People didn't like the idea of constant 4wd,power steering,A/C,automatics etc either.Personally the only thing I don't like is the fact it's taken so long to do it,smart idea. Pat

I think if it was at the point where 2 speed transfer cases were really not needed then Land Rover wouldnt be offering them with the current Discovery and Ranger Rovers on top of the ZF 8 speed. I believe its because they don't feel they have the spread of ratios to achieve the fuel economy, off-road performance, and low speed towing control they desire. A few more gears, both forward and reverse, and the 2 speeds transfer case will be a thing of the past. It will happen and I have no issue with it but I dont think the 8 speed is whats going to make it so.

DrivelineNews.com ? Land Rover Gives New Dimensions to DCT (http://www.drivelinenews.com/transmission-insight/land-rover-gives-new-dimensions-to-dct/)

With just the 8 speed general offroading would be fine. But I think you'd miss the ultra low ratios when towing heavy loads in tight areas or doing very technical tracks.

Pickles2
8th May 2016, 01:28 PM
I don't think Landrover has "missed the boat" at all. Are we talking Defender here? If we are, I don't know whether they've even "started for the boat", as far as Defender is concerned.
But, 3.0L V6 diesel, 165KW, 550NM.,...sounds like a "beautiful set of numbers" for a Defender.
Amarok seems to be a great vehicle as does Ranger, & of course Hilux, all of which any "new" Defender will have to compete with on performance & price? The question is, will Landrover have a go,...will they want to compete against these guys.
But maybe I'm wrong, will this be Defender's competition, or do you guys think Defender will be aligned somewhere else?
Pickles.

PAT303
8th May 2016, 06:39 PM
Now that would make a tidy car. Its a shame they dont offer the transfer case and full time 4wd with the auto.

I think if it was at the point where 2 speed transfer cases were really not needed then Land Rover wouldnt be offering them with the current Discovery and Ranger Rovers on top of the ZF 8 speed. I believe its because they don't feel they have the spread of ratios to achieve the fuel economy, off-road performance, and low speed towing control they desire. A few more gears, both forward and reverse, and the 2 speeds transfer case will be a thing of the past. It will happen and I have no issue with it but I dont think the 8 speed is whats going to make it so.

DrivelineNews.com ? Land Rover Gives New Dimensions to DCT (http://www.drivelinenews.com/transmission-insight/land-rover-gives-new-dimensions-to-dct/)

With just the 8 speed general offroading would be fine. But I think you'd miss the ultra low ratios when towing heavy loads in tight areas or doing very technical tracks.

The thing is Stuee an 8 speed auto has the same number of gears as a normal 4-5 speed main/2 speed transfer vehicle with the added bonus of all of it in one gearbox,less weight=bigger payload,cheaper servicing,easier servicing,better ramp over angle and the best advantage of all,no input/idler shaft leaks:D.A crawler 1st,low 2nd-3rd with low reverse will cover all but the hardest driving. Pat

PAT303
8th May 2016, 06:44 PM

Yes they do like bigger engines like the D4D V8, no better engine when you want to wobbling along at 80 with a freight train of ****ed off drivers behind you as you try and keep the fuel consumption down :). Pat

Disco Muppet
8th May 2016, 07:01 PM
If you can afford to buy a new Toyota Pat, you can afford the fuel bill ;)
It's one of the reasons why I love driving them at work; I don't pay for the fuel :D
That said, 16.7L/100km isn't atrocious considering I was towing a large trailer, had the AC on all the time and was sitting on 110.

Sent from my HTC One using AULRO mobile app

NavyDiver
8th May 2016, 08:05 PM
7.6 litres per ....... got my attention. If/when the D3 needs a replacement getting back in a ute would suite me fine.

Ground clearance would need a step up and ramp over specs could be a problem for some. Torsen differential ? no idea how well that works and the tire sizing - Love my Disco but like 4wd not the skinny rubber Landrover seems to be forcing on new varieties.

Be watching this one. Luckily I have no need to hurry.

scarry
9th May 2016, 06:23 PM

The RRS is available with a single speed TC as an option in some models.

Avion8
9th May 2016, 07:25 PM
It would suit us fine as well as a tourer with the caravan, the only problem is the length of these crew cabs as my town garage is only 5.15 mtrs long & the Amarok is 5.180 without the tow hitch! Why do they make garages so small these days? Problem is all the cars left on the street in our area of Perth end up with broken windows & or no wheels:mad:

Toxic_Avenger
9th May 2016, 07:39 PM
Meanwhile in the VW drawing room...

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2016/05/676.jpg

carlschmid2002
9th May 2016, 07:49 PM
If you can afford to buy a new Toyota Pat, you can afford the fuel bill ;)
It's one of the reasons why I love driving them at work; I don't pay for the fuel :D
That said, 16.7L/100km isn't atrocious considering I was towing a large trailer, had the AC on all the time and was sitting on 110.

Those figures make me feel better in my D3 V8. I get 12l/100km on the highway and 16l/100km towing a trailer doing more than 110. Sounds better than a Toyota too.

scarry
9th May 2016, 08:26 PM
Meanwhile in the VW drawing room...

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2016/05/676.jpg

Are you sure that is not a spy pic from LR's highly secret Defender development program?:D

Toxic_Avenger
9th May 2016, 08:33 PM
I only wish I could roll that much coal...

Disco Muppet
9th May 2016, 08:41 PM
Suddenly I wish I wasn't your friend :p
Clean Diesel FTMFW :p

Toxic_Avenger
9th May 2016, 08:47 PM
I live my life one combustion event at a time. For that 10 litres of diesel or less, I'm free.

Disco Muppet
9th May 2016, 09:15 PM
Granny shifting, not rolling coal like you should?

Toxic_Avenger
9th May 2016, 09:21 PM
Now, me and the mad scientist got to rip apart the engine and replace the piston rings I fried. Rebuild that injector pump with overnight parts from solihul.

frantic
11th May 2016, 02:49 PM
One other reason for D2/3/4 owners to look at amarok is the stud pattern. Its the same as your disco , and the bmw x5, just different/smaller centre size. There are I believe already adapter rings on evilbay (like nuggets for dynamic) as a lot of rok owners wanted wider/ different offset wheels and D2/X5 where/are a cheap option

Disco-tastic
11th May 2016, 05:11 PM
I agree, the VW TDV6 is a great motor and its a smart move putting it into the Amarok. Likewise I agree that LR should have a TDV6 in the next Defender. Actually, the LR 3.0 TDV6 needs a revamp too for the next models if its going to keep up with the competition.

Apparently the next disco will have a straight 6:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/jaguar/jaguar-land-rover-readies-ingenium-straight-six-for-launch-in-20171/

Cheers

Dan

Pickles2
12th May 2016, 08:17 AM
It will be interesting to see which Ingenium engines are available in the "New" Defender,....if we ever see one.
Pickles.