PDA

View Full Version : Damaged door during recall work

AJ1
17th May 2016, 02:57 PM
So I took my Baby in for the following jobs (all under warranty)

1. Replace front and rear brake pads (as existing ones squeaking)
2. Replace tailgate hinges and realign tailgate.
3. Rectify noise in headlining.

They gave me a courtesy car for the four days they had mine and the service manager personally delivered my Baby home on the Friday evening (in the dark)

The following morning I discovered the rear passenger door was a different colour to the rest of the car and it had been fully resprayed (badly) in some sort of an attempt to hide damage. Also, the vehicle was literally covered in laquer overspray, feeling like sand paper. And finally the front passenger side wheel was severely scratched where the wrong size adapter was used to secure the wheel nuts.

They've offered to respray the "respray" in an attempt to improve the colour match.

My concerns are obvious, once resprayed will it fade at a different rate to the existing bodywork. Apart from my distrust in the the delership, I do have reservations about their offer.

Your thoughts and opinions are most welcome.

Andy..

rar110
17th May 2016, 04:06 PM
If they didn't tell you about the damage/repair at least when picking up the car, you can't assume an honest answer on anything from here on. Everything in writing. You choose a repairer to fix the botch job. They've had a chance. Even that amounted to unauthorised repairs.

AJ1
18th May 2016, 08:08 AM
I agree about trust.

Here comes the kicker....

The General Manager nor the Service Manager were aware of what had occurred. Apparently, one of the mechanics scratched the door while working on it and made a decision to get a mobile paint sprayer to blow it in quickly without informing his manager.

I've now been in contact with Land Rover Australia and they're now overseeing the upcoming respray and a replacement wheel.

It's going in on Monday for the fresh respray, why do I feel nervous !

DrFox1969
18th May 2016, 10:58 AM
AJ,

I read about this on rrsport.co.uk.......pretty lousy treatment by any standards.

You are doing the right thing by going through LRA. I would be looking for something in return for your troubles as a gesture. Extended warranty maybe or free servicing etc.

Hope they sort everything out for you.

My 2 month old RRS is currently in the stealers for 4 days having warranty work done:-

1. Tow pack fitted which was missed off the factory order
2. Deformed passenger wing mirror housing being replaced
3. Rear roof spoiler paint was stained - being re-sprayed
4. Rattle from driver side door speaker - being replaced
5. Rattle from center console
6. Optional TPMS does not show tyre pressures in computer - investigate software
7. Front parking sensor auto software fix
8. Opticoat being re-applied to replaced parts

After reading your post I will be sure to give the vehicle a thorough inspection when I collect on Friday!!!!

AJ1
18th May 2016, 12:43 PM
Hey Dr,

I've been offered a two year extended warranty. More importantly for me, is to get the car back to where it was. I've now got everything in writing and I've demanded a written lifetime guarantee for the work. It's going in on Monday for the week.

If I were you I'd get the car out in direct sunlight and go through it with a fine tooth comb before leaving the stealers ! I've now discovered further overspray on my centre console ffs! I'll never trust them again.

DrFox1969
19th May 2016, 09:33 AM
Hey Dr,

I've been offered a two year extended warranty. More importantly for me, is to get the car back to where it was. I've now got everything in writing and I've demanded a written lifetime guarantee for the work. It's going in on Monday for the week.

If I were you I'd get the car out in direct sunlight and go through it with a fine tooth comb before leaving the stealers ! I've now discovered further overspray on my centre console ffs! I'll never trust them again.

Thanks for the tip AJ. Feel for you buddy.

scarry
19th May 2016, 06:13 PM
I would be taking pics,although the may not show much.

Then after the work is done,i would have it inspected by a good quality paint shop for an independent opinion.

Or maybe have this done before it goes in as well, so you have a before and after record.

Hope it all goes well,i feel for you as well.

I am sure JLR aus will not be happy with the dealership.

AJ1
21st May 2016, 06:42 AM
Thanks Scarry,

Photos already taken.

I received a written official apology from JLR now and it's going in on Monday for unto 7 working days. :(

AJ1
23rd May 2016, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the tip AJ. Feel for you buddy.

Dr Fox,

How did the collection go last week ?

It's D Day for me today....

DrFox1969
23rd May 2016, 08:26 AM
Dr Fox,

How did the collection go last week ?

It's D Day for me today....

All good from my end AJ,

Car came out of dealers without a mark.

1. Tow pack fitted
2. Deformed passenger wing mirror replaced
3. Rear roof spoiler paint stain polished out
4. Driver side door speaker replaced
5. Rattle from center console couldnt be replicated but I will monitor
6. TPMS shows tyre pressures - user error
7. Front parking sensor auto software - update solved the problem
8. Opticoat being re-applied to replaced parts - car booked in next week to give paint time to cure

Good look with your today.

digger
23rd May 2016, 11:58 AM
Hey Dr,

Be grateful for the warranty extension.

I haven't been able to get them to extend my warranty at all! They have had my car back numerous times for engine and other failures and they won't give me an extended warranty on their own gear ( for instance I'm on my 2nd motor, 3rd oil pump assembly and 4th turbo!)

They did however offer me a free service and a " Land Rover experience day"
That'll give me nice memories to relive as I sit on the side of the road when it craps itself again...

According to the " customer service" person, "Land Rover don't do that"

DrFox1969
1st July 2016, 09:19 AM
Hi AJ,

Did you get a final outcome with the dealer?

DazzaTD5
7th July 2016, 05:38 PM
Good grief is all I can say to the OP......

You know I find it bloody hard to believe a mechanic damaged the vehicle and on his own got someone in to repair it..... and the service manager didnt know about it.... thats BS, busy dealerships i've worked in, a mechanic couldnt scratch himself without a supervisor knowing it....

Apart from all that.... what a bloody disgrace to the motor vehicle industry...

Regards
Daz

AJ1
9th July 2016, 01:44 PM
The saga continues.....

So the dealer took it back several weeks ago in a second attempt to respray the door. Btw, Corporate LR were not interested as it was an " in house issue."

I had an agreement drawn up that if I was any thing less than 100 percent happy with the second paint job, they would then pay me to ascertain my satisfaction..... I'll come to that in a bit.

Anyway, they had the car for just under two weeks to simply paint the top of the passenger rear door to match e rest of the car. I told them not to call me saying it's ready, until it's perfect. So I got the call, " it's perfect Mr Jones, come and collect it" there it was, waiting for ey all shiny in the showroom like a brand new vehicle, this looks promising I thought. But no...... It was bloody awful. Wrong colour match again and the overspray was still present everywhere. So I told them I'd be suing them as per our written agreement.

Long story short, two weeks later, their insurance company paid me out just short of $18,000 which I'm happy to settle on.

I've just had it painted for the third time by my own chosen paint shop and the job is outstanding.

If you're wondering how the payout became so high, it's due to the high replacement costs of over-sprayed parts such as headlights, tail lights, door mirrors, interior polished alliminium and every single black exterior trim including the front grill and bonnet grills.

In the interest of discretion, I'll refrain from publishing the figure I paid my local painter.

Finally I heard the guilty mechanic was in fact the Forman, who now no longer works there. The question is, do I ever take the vehicle there again for any future warranty or servicing as the next nearest authorised dealer is a two hour round trip.

scarry
9th July 2016, 03:16 PM
Glad it was all eventually sorted,but i feel your pain.:mad:

That dealer doesn't deserve your business or for that matter anyone else's business.

Disco-tastic
9th July 2016, 03:42 PM
Yep. I vote for the 2 hr round trip.

If they think that the paint was "perfect" what else do they think is "perfect"?

Dan

sheerluck
9th July 2016, 04:25 PM
.....over-sprayed parts such as headlights, tail lights, door mirrors, interior polished alliminium and every single black exterior trim including the front grill and bonnet grills......

That is totally inexcusable. That is just terrible preparation, and terrible quality control. They must have had the local bodge it shop have a go.

rar110
9th July 2016, 06:58 PM
Wow. All they've done is damage their own reputation more. How do these people build a business that big.

LRA is nearly as culpable for doing nothing to improve or even maintain brand reputation.