PDA

View Full Version : Why do I attract problems

jx2mad
22nd June 2016, 01:39 PM
I have just replaced the old cassette radio in the car with a new jvc/kenwood cd/radio for obvious reasons. The old radio worked well on am and fm. This new radio works well on fm but wont tune any am stations unless I drive up the road to a slight rise. It will now find the am stations but they are so weak. No am signal in the driveway. Am I doing something wrong, considering the old radio worked fine on am. Jim

Ferret
22nd June 2016, 02:32 PM
Sounds like the antenna is not plugged in properly.

PhilipA
22nd June 2016, 02:51 PM
What sort of car?
If an RRC they had a Eurovox radio with good AM sensitivity, while all modern Stereos have crap sensitivity because the makers want to avoid cross talk in countries with lots of AM stations like Japan and the USA .
I have the same problem although my Pioneer has deteriorated since I fitted it, and I am wondering if I have a bad earth but cannot be fussed to take it out and check.
I can hear every injector,indicator, an brake application in my D2, but my wife's Jazz is not much better.
It is said that solar panel installations have caused much of the problem and the LED traffic lights don't help, by increasing RF interference.
Regards Philip A

jx2mad
22nd June 2016, 04:51 PM
It is a European car and I couldn't get a conversion cable so it was cut and patch job. connections ok or fm wouldn't work. Grrrr

Tombie
11th July 2016, 11:28 PM
AM is tuned internally to the unit and yes. Many modern units are very poor on AM...

jx2mad
13th July 2016, 04:20 PM
fittred an inline booster amp. works a lot better but still not good