PDA

View Full Version : RC Cars

Phoenix
18th October 2005, 03:42 PM
Anyone else into RC cars, or RC anything for that matter??

After saving for ages I finally got a proper (nitro :twisted: ) rc car.

It's a HPI MT-2. I'm still breaking it in, but it's awsome 8)

http://www.aulro.com/albums/album94/DSC04485.jpg

http://www.aulro.com/albums/album94/DSC04487.jpg

DEFENDERZOOK
18th October 2005, 06:16 PM
<span style="color:blue">and they are also heaps of fun ......till you break something.

then you go down to the hobby store to buy the simple $20 dollar part....
and you walk out $300 later and realise you forgot what you walked in to get in the first place because distracted by a million other things.....

but its still fun.....</span>

<span style="color:darkred">
now they have rock hoppers available which are geared really low and have some serious long travel suspension.....almost identical to the real things like you see in tuff truck challenge....just smaller...and fascinating to watch.....</span>

Captain_Rightfoot
18th October 2005, 06:36 PM
Cool car style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif I love cars but do get bored of them. I sold them while working in a hobby shop to pay for my edumicatun. If you get at all serious about them they become very expensive... worse than planes usually.

I did start a thread aboiut rc aeroplanes.. but I probably didn't give it the best start with the title I chose :roll: :roll: I've been flying for 21 years now 8O Mostly competition aerobatics. I have just come back off a sabatical of a couple of years although I don't think I'll go back to competition. No spare mojo for it anymore :wink: :wink:

DEFENDERZOOK
18th October 2005, 08:36 PM
<span style="color:blue">im not too sure about planes.....

i always think that if you stall a car it just stops....
it doesnt then have to drop fifty feet and land in a heap.... 8O

cars sound cheaper to me.....(radio gear on the ground vs in the air) </span> style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Phoenix
19th October 2005, 08:23 AM
I was interested in planes, but being able to use the car anywhere appealed to me :wink: . My boss at cadets still flies as well.

Boats have a similar problem, yes, they just stop, but you can hardly go over and pick them up style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

I don't think that i'll race, I know a guy who used to race, and yup, he said it got really really expensive very fast!

PSI250
19th October 2005, 06:03 PM
i've had a few RC cars, were great fun but ended up just sitting in the shed after a while, when money, time and actually getting a real car took over!!

The best would have been the 1/8th Kyosho MP5 or whatever it was 4wd buggy. Used to love the jumps at the local BMX track!!

i've still got the 3 RC cars and my old man has 3 RC helicopters somewhere, just haven't used them in ages.

LandyAndy
3rd November 2005, 11:56 PM
Hi Phoenix
My boy has a R/C BIG INTEREST
He wants to put a post in.
hi
ive got around 15 rc cars, with more on the way. Ill just put down the good ones.

Team Associated RC10 t4- Stock, except for factory team front a arms, the venom fireball mod motor, venom 3000mah batt packs and a high torque metal geared servo.(its third) was $540 W.O. Batts or charger.
Now total cost would have come to $950 unless stanbridges was nice enough to give me a new motor and one servo.

Tamiya TA-01(touring car) (i think). Was a kit, mostly stock, given to me by a neighbour (we have some pretty nice people in our neighbourhood, and some not so nice.) its got a nissan skyline godzilla body.

got about 5 micro cars, all similar except one.

Ive getting a a-tech MG (small scale monster truck) on saturday the 12th.
$170 W.O. Batts.

The Project
Not begun yet, but im getting some ideas.
itll be a buggy (very big, over 1m) powered by dads 2 cyl echo chainsaw motor.
Wont be done for a long time.

i think thats about it.

Lindsay

Phoenix
4th November 2005, 09:31 AM
How does he find time to drive them all 8O 8O

The big one as a project sounds like good fun though :twisted: :twisted:

DEFENDERZOOK
4th November 2005, 05:25 PM
<span style="color:green">i have seen big ones with whipper snipper engines but not chainsaw engines.....

i have a friend who is about to list two cars...i think one is electric...on ebay....
he is asking between $600-700 for around $2000 worth of gear....
cars radio gear spares fuel etc...</span>

LandyAndy
4th November 2005, 10:14 PM
Hi Phoenix
He is full on into his R/C gear.
The Team Assosiated Truck(buggie) is wicked,that worked motor combined with his +1 inch tall tyres make it a real eye opener,its QUICK and controlable.
Ever since I smashed my chainsaw he has been at me to have it for a project,despit trying I cant get a new body for my beloved chainsaw so I relented the other day and told him we could make a dad and son project out of it.I also said the more you BUG me about it the longer it will take.We sort of figured a 1m or so scale model Series Landy style 2WD buggy,with a 66cc twin cylinder chainsaw motor.Should go pretty well I would say 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
Andrew

Ace
9th November 2005, 03:44 PM
The Industrial Arts Teacher here at school is right into planes, the most expensive thing is learning how to fly them. Cars are cheaper because you dont trash them like you do a plane if you prang it. Having said that if you dont prang the planes i am sure cars would be dearer. Matt

Captain_Rightfoot
9th November 2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Ace
The Industrial Arts Teacher here at school is right into planes, the most expensive thing is learning how to fly them. Cars are cheaper because you dont trash them like you do a plane if you prang it. Having said that if you dont prang the planes i am sure cars would be dearer. Matt
The aeroplan I'm flying at the moment I built myself from scratch in 1992, and probably cost me about $50 at the time. I am still flying it, and it still outperforms most other aircraft style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

Sure there have been other planes in the meantime, but this things has had countless hours and tonnes of grinns over the years style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif It is reaching it's service life now because of fatigue and oil saturation... oh well.. cheap fun style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

Ace
12th November 2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Captain_Rightfoot+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Captain_Rightfoot)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Ace
The aeroplan I'm flying at the moment I built myself from scratch in 1992, and probably cost me about $50 at the time. I am still flying it, and it still outperforms most other aircraft style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

Sure there have been other planes in the meantime, but this things has had countless hours and tonnes of grinns over the years style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif It is reaching it's service life now because of fatigue and oil saturation... oh well.. cheap fun style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/b][/quote]

It depends how far you go i suppose. Kev has been telling me stories about planes worth thousands biting the dust.

We are building a remote control solar car at school at the moment to compete in a race on the 9th of December at mount panorama, the track will be 110m long behind the pits. But we are using the guys from the power station as our industry partners and one of the technitians is into RC cars, he is actually the president of the RC Club in lithgow. He was showing us one of his cars, which had a carbon fibre chassis. Total cost for the chassis, suspension and steering (no engine of plastic cover) $700 8O

I can see that cars would cost more than planes, but it all depends on how heavily you get into it, its like 4wding, its limited only by your budget. Matt

abaddonxi
12th November 2005, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Ace

I can see that cars would cost more than planes, but it all depends on how heavily you get into it, its like 4wding, its limited only by your budget. Matt

Like 4wding it's limited only by your sense.

Cheers
Simon

Captain_Rightfoot
12th November 2005, 10:02 PM
I was just chatting to a friend of mine in melbourne who is putting together a turbine jet style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif He went round to see a friend of his who had a jet to see how to hook things up. His aeroplane had twin turbines worth $8000 alone. Now that is silly! 8O 8O 8O

Ace
13th November 2005, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Captain_Rightfoot
I was just chatting to a friend of mine in melbourne who is putting together a turbine jet style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif He went round to see a friend of his who had a jet to see how to hook things up. His aeroplane had twin turbines worth $8000 alone. Now that is silly! 8O 8O 8O

I would agree, think what you could put on a landy with $8k. Matt

LandyAndy
14th November 2005, 10:43 PM
Hi Guys
I spoke to one of the guys at Stanbridges the other day,around $400 for all the electronics needed to create a chainsaw powered R/C.
The chainsaw is a twin cylinder 66cc and I have a diffcentre/axle setup from a Gopher.
The plan is to copy the front suspension setup from Lindsays TeamAssociated RC10,then look in my 4x4 mags for ideas for the rear setup,should be easy.Motorbike coil over shocks on all corners.With the right gearing 100kph wont be a problem 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
Andrew

landy_man
14th January 2006, 10:51 PM
Cool... only just found this topic...
Love the RC cars I have a few...
My "garage" includes...

Tamiya TL01 - Electric 4wd touring car
Tamiya TR15T - Nitro Stadium truck
Electric VW Baja Bug
Power Racing Swift - Nitro 4wd Buggy
Kyosho Inferno Kanai II - Super bling Nitro 4wd Buggy with .30 ci (5cc) Os engine that pulls 3.5hp... mega fun...
Will get some pics up soon...

Phoenix
19th January 2006, 10:15 AM
That's quite a garage. I'm considering a Nitro touring car, but untill I can afford one, what I have will have to do the trick :wink:

landy_man
19th January 2006, 10:23 AM
The nitro touring cars are fun for a little while.. but I tend to get bored with them pretty quick...
Much prefer the offroad buggies and going to the local BMX track and jumping them high... big roosters... and trying to do backflips..

If you need any help setting anything up or need any advice.. give us a yell..

:wink:

LoadedDisco
19th January 2006, 04:50 PM
Nitro cars are good just be ready for the on going continual expensive cost to keep them running. If you get a nitro car and intend to race it will be expensive as racing these cars is very competitive just like the real thing with cost of new tyres and parts do add up.

The 4x4 trucks and buggies are more fun probably less damage running a 4x4 monster truck and more fun.

Gidget
19th January 2006, 09:17 PM
Here is my Tamiya txt. I havn't had it long but jee has it has some modifications already.
Cost me around $1200 so far, But as like the real thing, they are never finished. :twisted:
Is heaps of fun.
I would love to get a Landy body for it & the only place I can find them is in the UK on ebay. Just not sure how to send them money, or real sure about giving money to a bloke on the other side of the world & hopeing he is a good bloke.

http://www.aulro.com/albums/RC-Cars/inbox_024_resize.jpg

http://www.aulro.com/albums/RC-Cars/inbox_022_resize.jpg

landy_man
19th January 2006, 09:32 PM
cool crawler mate..

best way to buy stuff off ebay is with a paypal account.. it is like an internet bank so to speak and is linked to either your credit card or bank account...and is safe.. it is owned by ebay..
If you pay for something with paypal and it does not arrive, Paypal will follow it up for you and refund the money if they cant get the person to explain where the part is...
That is the best way to do it... also make sure the seller is a "buy with confidence" seller.. basically means they have passed a few criteria and are deemed good business people...

Hope that helps

Gidget
19th January 2006, 09:35 PM
I have never actually used ebay, only looked there,,do I sign up for paypal on ebay??
thanks for your help.

landy_man
19th January 2006, 09:38 PM
yep.. you can follow the links from ebay..
it is a good idea to obviously sign up on ebay first..
there are heaps of tutorials on ebay and paypal on how to use the service..

cheers

LoadedDisco
19th January 2006, 11:34 PM
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/ Cool Crawler is definitely the write word https://www.aulro.com/afvb/
And it would look great with a Land Rover body.

Phoenix
23rd January 2006, 02:53 PM
Funny you should mention landy bodies. Somebody posted on the ausrc forums about some on e-bay the other day

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Somebodiesuk_Rev...x-Savage-Bodies (http://stores.ebay.com.au/Somebodiesuk_Revo-T-E-Maxx-Savage-Bodies)