PDA

View Full Version : Legal distiller now

GG
10th August 2016, 02:47 PM
Hey all, been distilling for about 4 years now, been legal now since moving to nz, loving it! :). Rums my poison, amongst other things.

TerryO
5th November 2016, 11:46 AM
Regarding stills, through my wife's family in Orange I got to know a number of years back a grand old gentleman from Latvia who had fought the Germans, swapped sides fought the Russians and when the time came swapped back to fight the Germans, he told me the only reason he lived was he could speak German and Russian and several other useful languages so each side kept him alive as an interpreter, he as a very interesting man with many interesting story's about WW2 and what he saw.

Anyway he used to have his still running every time any locally grown fruit was plentiful.

The drink he produced in gallons was known as white lady. It was truly evil and could melt paint, God knows what it was doing to your guts.

How ever old Joe drank it day after day and he lived to a grand old age. Me I would have one glass each time I saw him so as not to offend him. Not sure I would have lasted two glasses if he had ever pushed the point. ... ;)

Gordie
5th November 2016, 01:23 PM
Cool, when I was in NZ a few months ago, I had a bottle of cherry schnapps that a friend of my Mum's had distilled...and she couldn't drink it, too powerful for her. So I gladly drank it...a bit at a time, it was just the shot on a cold winters night! Always been interested in a still, used to do homebrew beer.

carlschmid2002
6th November 2016, 07:41 AM
Is a still illegal in Aus?

Homestar
6th November 2016, 08:25 AM
Is a still illegal in Aus?

I don't think so, but I'll stand corrected - It's something I've always wanted to try.

Edit - found this pretty quickly, but not sure if it's the be all and end all - https://nationalhomebrew.com.au/spirits-topics/legal - so you make a still for distilling essential oils, if other ingredients find there way in.... :angel:

It's only illegal if you get caught right? ;)

And there's always varying degrees of legality - it depends on how the local law enforcement sees it. 33" tyres are illegal on most vehicles, but a there's many here that run them happily and have no issues with the law.

Personally, I would think if you're using a still to make stuff for yourself, no one would really care (unless you blew it up) :D

carlschmid2002
6th November 2016, 08:30 AM
I don't think so, but I'll stand corrected - It's something I've always wanted to try.

Edit - found this pretty quickly, but not sure if it's the be all and end all - https://nationalhomebrew.com.au/spirits-topics/legal

It's only illegal if you get caught right? ;)

And there's always varying degrees of legality - it depends on how the local law enforcement sees it. 33" tyres are illegal on most vehicles, but a there's many here that run them happily and have no issues with the law.

Personally, I would think if you're using a still to make stuff for yourself, no one would really care (unless you blew it up) :D

Me too!

LandyAndy
13th December 2016, 08:37 PM
Home distilling is legal in WA.
Have tasted some very nice and powerful Black Sambucca,and some very ordinary Jim Beam copy,so ordinary it even froze in the freezer.
I'm lucky if I buy a bottle of spirits a year,and the odd pre-mix can so not my cup of tea.AT THE MOMENT.
Andrew

loneranger
13th December 2016, 08:48 PM
It may pay to read this:
https://www.ato.gov.au/business/excise-and-excise-equivalent-goods/alcohol-excise/spirits-and-other-excisable-beverages/stills-and-distillation/

Homestar
13th December 2016, 09:38 PM
It may pay to read this:
https://www.ato.gov.au/business/excise-and-excise-equivalent-goods/alcohol-excise/spirits-and-other-excisable-beverages/stills-and-distillation/

Yeah, but who ever listens to the ATO...? :D:wasntme:

Toxic_Avenger
13th December 2016, 10:08 PM
Pretty sure we distilled alcohol (ethanol/metho) from water in science class in school many years back. Tested the experiment with the old 'will it burn' test.
By definition the school would be breaking the law.
If you're out there Mr D, shame. SHAME. :p