PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug Gap HP 179

Dark61
22nd August 2016, 08:03 PM
Can anyone advise please what the spark plug gap should be on the HP 179? Having trouble finding much in detail about this.
cheers,
D

67hardtop
22nd August 2016, 09:40 PM
The plug gap all depends on the type of ignition system have. If u have original points and standard coil then the gap should be from memory 28th or 32th. If u have a gt40 or gt40r coil then 34th. If u have an hei ignition system, fitted out of a commy blue black motor, then 40th. from memory, possibly even 60th. If u have aftermarket electronic ignition then usually 36th. To 40th.

Dont take it as gospel but im sure that those are the correct measurements just from my fading memory.

Cheers Rod

Im sure if im wrong there are others out there that will set u right.😆
Sent from my GT-I9507 using AULRO mobile app

Dark61
23rd August 2016, 05:43 AM
Thanks Rod. THe Holdens all new to me. I'll take a look at the coil etc.
Cheers,
D

mick88
1st September 2016, 09:43 AM
As a rule of thumb I usually just doubled the points gap on the plugs. I have a Holden manual in the shed so I will check it for you.

Cheers, Mick.

Dark61
1st September 2016, 09:58 AM
I'm surprised there's so little specific stuff on the net - plenty for Land Rovers - can only find historic / general stuff for the Holden's.
cheers,
D

Davehoos
1st September 2016, 08:34 PM
Didn't post before as it was covered basically by .67hardtop.

It is hard to find info on what should be a common vehicle.
I think you find it is why conversions often get rubbished as they are tuned for the application. Also Something new mechanics don't learn at TAFE.

BASIC IGNITION with you go for 0.8 mm.
Better coil 1.0mm-1.1mm.
high energy 1.5mm.

my memory was 8-12K volts basic-
25-40 K for a good electronic
40+V for high energy.

Put it on a scope and watch the spark pattern and adjust the gap to suit. adjusting the length of leads and what they are made of to get a balanced voltage

I can remember using a coloured spark plug to work out the heat range-then you have the fact that its in a landrover that you have to work out its operating temp, load V speed and choose a plug to suit. lean mixture needing a bigger gap and cooler plug.

last is how modified the head is cam and exhaust.-12 port etc. extractors.