PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Coil Sprung Land Rover

Dervish
17th September 2016, 02:34 PM
Well we've had the Oldest Discovery and Oldest Series Land Rover threads, so how about the oldest coil sprung Landy? For this discussion lets not include Range Rovers - there's plenty of that information already available on the forum about the first Rangies - let's focus on the One Ten (or more recognisable to Australian ears, the County).

So who knows when the One Ten hit Australian shores?

87County
17th September 2016, 03:43 PM
G'day dervish - I've not seen one before '84, but you never know ....

...watching with interest :)

JDNSW
17th September 2016, 07:32 PM
As far as I know, 1984 - but there are almost certain to be the occasional personal import of earlier ones.

The only pre-Defender coil sprung Landrovers sold in Australia were the V8 and the Isuzu engined variants. The Isuzu engined ones were, I believe, V8 chassis, modified during assembly in Sydney.

The 2.25 and 2.5 petrol and diesel were never sold here, but there are a few about that came in as personal imports, perhaps none of the 2.25 - these were not made for very long anyway.

Worth noting that the 90 did not appear here until well after the introduction of the Defender, and only sporadically until after about 2010.

As far as I know, the models sold were 110 Hardtop, 110 cab/chassis or trayback, 120" cab/chassis or trayback, 110 County wagon, 110 6x6 cab/chassis or trayback. A limited run of 110 dual cab V8s were made for the Bicentennial Authority in 1988.

Except for the County, most were fitted with the Isuzu, and this was the only engine offered in the 6x6.

John

Dervish
18th September 2016, 09:13 AM
Searching around this morning I found a very thorough resource on the topic:

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=Npl8AwAAQBAJ&lpg=PT91&dq=land%20rover%20one%20ten&pg=PT109#v=onepage&q&f=false

It basically reinforces everything JDNSW has said - thanks John - but goes a little further to say that the release date was November 1984.

Now I'll say that my interest has been piqued due to a new acquisition.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2016/09/499.jpg

If the One Ten release was indeed November 1984, this vehicle would have been brought into the country for the release - possibly making it one of the oldest civilian units around.

As for the military, as usual REMLR has a well researched and documented page:

Project Perentie Trials, Prototype and Development Vehicles - Land Rovers Vehicles - REMLR (http://remlr.com/perentie-project-LR.htm)

Which includes possibly the definitive answer to the question of oldest coil sprung LR, a pre-production 1982 110 brought into the country for military evaluation. Note the presence of a starter crank hole in the bumper in a position to suit the 2.25 family of engines, rather than the hole in the grille surround to suit the V8 - suggesting this might have been a 2.25 litre unit before the 4BD1 was fitted.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2016/09/500.jpg

JDNSW
18th September 2016, 03:06 PM
That does look as if it is one of the first coil sprung ones sold in Australia. It would be interesting to work out whether it was imported or locally assembled. I'm not sure how you would do this!

John

Dervish
18th September 2016, 06:57 PM
That does look as if it is one of the first coil sprung ones sold in Australia. It would be interesting to work out whether it was imported or locally assembled. I'm not sure how you would do this!

John

According to this website (http://www.expeditiongear.co.za/cu5/Decoding-your-Land-Rover-VIN-Number.aspx) the last letter of the VIN indicates the assembly location; in this case, Solihull.

isuzutoo-eh
19th September 2016, 06:03 PM
Great sleuthing!

Mine's a Feb '85 model, I know Barney has an '84 V8 model as imported for the navy, but not sure which month.

barney
19th September 2016, 06:18 PM
Yeah. Mine was born in november 1984 and shipped to Australia with 7 similar truck cabs. They were prepped for the Navy by Rolfe Classic in the ACT and put into service as military police vehicles. The purpose of this was for evaluating their suitability for the military's new fleet of vehicles - the perentie project. You can read about them on remlr.

Sent from my SM-G935F using AULRO mobile app

barney
19th September 2016, 06:41 PM
This is two photos, the one on the left was taken by Bushdriver magazine in 1985
The one on the right I took at Garden Island in 2011, I think.114146

Xtreme
19th September 2016, 07:36 PM
Can't find my records ATM to check VIN etc. but I bought a new coil sprung Isuzu County in October 1984. One of the most reliable Landys I've owned.

barney
19th September 2016, 07:48 PM
The 110 was released in the UK in 83, while I'm not calling bull****, I didnt think they reached our shores until 85 and only the with the V8 or the 2.25? Diesel. I guess my source was wrong.

JDNSW
19th September 2016, 08:31 PM
The 110 was released in the UK in 83, while I'm not calling bull****, I didnt think they reached our shores until 85 and only the with the V8 or the 2.25? Diesel. I guess my source was wrong.

The picture above of an Australian compliance plate dated 9/84 clearly shows that there was at least one ready to be sold by September 84. And while it is probable that imported V8s were sold first, as the Isuzu engined ones would have required at least some design work, I doubt these were far behind - after all, they were already fitting them to the Series 3, and were almost certainly their best seller.

The 2.25 coil sprung Landrover was definitely never sold in Australia, and while one or two may have come as personal imports, I have never seen one.

John

barney
19th September 2016, 08:43 PM
A mate has an 86 isuzu, thats the earliest one I've seen.

Shingleback
19th September 2016, 09:01 PM
Interesting info on Landy history. wasn't aware mine must be one of the earliest ones, is 10/84. Isuzu 120.
Cheers, Andrew.

Sent from my E5823 using AULRO mobile app

JDNSW
20th September 2016, 05:43 AM
Mine is 86 - must be one of the last ones with the LT95.

John

Dinty
20th September 2016, 07:11 AM
My 110 Isuzu was one of the press release vehicles used by JRA when the County was released, it is a October 1984 build, I have a magazine with the vehicle being promoted by Asquith/Johnson, cheers Dennis

Dervish
20th September 2016, 04:24 PM
My 110 Isuzu was one of the press release vehicles used by JRA when the County was released, it is a October 1984 build, I have a magazine with the vehicle being promoted by Asquith/Johnson, cheers Dennis

G'day Dennis, any chance you could post up the ad? I think a lot of people would love to see it.

Dinty
20th September 2016, 04:59 PM
The best I could do, as I'm not tech savvy with computers
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2016/09/402.jpg
if at the time I had known of it's historical significance I would have had the plates remade, cheers Dennis

Jitterbug
26th September 2016, 08:55 AM
My LR90 is a 1984, not sure of build month, but a personal import, I guess it is one of the earliest 90s. Other than the body and chassis there isnt much left original on it anymore though.

Old Farang
28th September 2016, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=JDNSW; snip
A limited run of 110 dual cab V8s were made for the Bicentennial Authority in 1988.
Except for the County, most were fitted with the Isuzu, and this was the only engine offered in the 6x6. John[/QUOTE]

Are you sure about the year, John? I was still flying helicopters at the conclusion of the Americas Cup in Fremantle in 1987. I did some aerial filming work along the Kwinana Freeway for the Bicentennial Authority, if I recall correctly, around February or March 1987. I do recall being very impressed with the dual cab Land Rovers during the briefing, as I had not seen one previously. Do not recall which engine they had. At the time I had a 1976
2 door Range Rover.

JDNSW
28th September 2016, 07:11 PM
No, I'm not sure of the year, and it probably was 1987 - I should have said "for the bicentenary year in 1988"!

John

Old Farang
28th September 2016, 07:50 PM
No, I'm not sure of the year, and it probably was 1987 - I should have said "for the bicentenary year in 1988"!John

Again, old timers disease is showing, but I seem to recall that JRA were providing some form of sponsorship for the Bicentennial, combined with showing off the Land Rovers. :twobeers:

dickyjoe
4th October 2016, 07:44 PM
I'll have to check the plate on my 110. Its a 1984 Model thats for sure, just not sure of its month or VIN..

isuzurover
5th October 2016, 08:42 PM
Mick Garner (lives near Brisbane) owned an army prototype/trials 110 for a while. I recall it was a 1983 model with a non-galvanised chassis and 4BD1.

DiscoMick
7th October 2016, 02:40 PM
This is a very interesting discussion.

dickyjoe
14th October 2016, 09:07 AM
Ok

I have checked my VIN and it reads:-

SALLDHAV1BA223024*1184

I'm guessing it's Nov84?

Larry
14th October 2016, 03:15 PM
Ok

I have checked my VIN and it reads:-

SALLDHAV1BA223024*1184

I'm guessing it's Nov84?

Enter your full chassis number here Clifton Scientific Text Services, the Netherlands (http://www.clifton.nl/index.html?calvin.html) & it should tell you. ;)

dickyjoe
16th October 2016, 09:39 AM
Enter your full chassis number here Clifton Scientific Text Services, the Netherlands (http://www.clifton.nl/index.html?calvin.html) & it should tell you. ;)

I did that. It's interesting that it says it was a "basic" and never a wagon. It was later changed into a Trayback ute which is how I have it now. It may have been a two door wagon.

The manufacturing date says it's an early model but not anything specific to month and year.

Sitec
21st October 2016, 07:19 PM
From what I remember the first to come out was the 110, released in 1983 in the UK.. From memory engine options were a 5 bearing 2.285 petrol, and a restricted 3.5 V8 carb petrol. The V8 was coupled to the LT95 4 speed. But... In relation to original question, there were several Land Rover built coil sprung Land Rovers floating around quite a while before that.. They were mostly based on molested Stage 1's and looked like this....

Sitec
21st October 2016, 07:27 PM
Then there's this.. A 'T' reg 100" military prototype. The 'T' puts it at 1978....

Sitec
21st October 2016, 07:38 PM
And of course once they'd mucked around with 110's and got them right, they released the 'Ninety' in 1984 with the LT 77 5 speed out of the Freight Rover van.. I know for certain that these were originally optioned with the 2.286, as we removed one and replaced it with a n/a 2.8 Isuzu diesel. In 1985 Land Rover released a few V8 Ninety's with the Santana LT85.. I owned a chocolate brown one and it was great! Diesel options were the 2.5 n/a 5 bearing diesel. :)

Sitec
21st October 2016, 07:45 PM
Around 1989/90 after calls for it Land Rover offered the 19j Turbodiesel in both the Ninety and 110. A Tdi it was not, but at the time, it at least kept up with the 2.8 Daihatsu Fortrac's, Peugeot Utes and other diesel offerings.. They were not known for a long life as they were an already dated and over stressed engine. (That said I found a low km unit, fitted it into a Series 1 88", intercooled it and wound the pump out and it flew. It was perfect for Series SWB conversions!)...

JDNSW
21st October 2016, 08:28 PM
From what I remember the first to come out was the 110, released in 1983 in the UK.. From memory engine options were a 5 bearing 2.285 petrol, and a restricted 3.5 V8 carb petrol. The V8 was coupled to the LT95 4 speed. .... You left out the 2.25 five bearing diesel, which was certainly available, although never sold in Australia in a coil sprung Landrover. As I think I commented earlier, when the 110 appeared here it was available only in the V8 and Isuzu, intially both with the LT95, I think.

John

Sitec
21st October 2016, 08:49 PM
You left out the 2.25 five bearing diesel, which was certainly available, although never sold in Australia in a coil sprung Landrover. As I think I commented earlier, when the 110 appeared here it was available only in the V8 and Isuzu, intially both with the LT95, I think.

John

Yeah, I wasn't sure.. I didn't think they carried the 2.286 diesel across to the 110 as it wasn't big enough for a LWB Series 3. I never ever saw a 110 with the smaller diesel engine if they did exist.. Saw plenty of V8's and 4 cyl petrols tho! :)

isuzurover
21st October 2016, 11:45 PM
Yeah, I wasn't sure.. I didn't think they carried the 2.286 diesel across to the 110 as it wasn't big enough for a LWB Series 3. I never ever saw a 110 with the smaller diesel engine if they did exist.. Saw plenty of V8's and 4 cyl petrols tho! :)

The 2286D went OK in a 109" if you tweaked it a bit.
Land Rover even fitted them to 109" Forward Controls!!! Now that would have been a slow trip...

JDNSW
22nd October 2016, 05:04 AM

There was no choice. By the early 1980s diesels were a major part of the market - Landrover had been selling them for approaching thirty years, and they could not afford to give the market to competitors until the 2.5 was available, although I suspect most sales were to institutional buyers. (Same reason the turbocharged version of the engine was rushed into production before the 200tdi version was ready)

The company had not, at that stage, decided it was solely a luxury car maker, rather than a supplier of work vehicles. That came later.

John

Sitec
22nd October 2016, 08:40 AM
The 2286D went OK in a 109" if you tweaked it a bit.
Land Rover even fitted them to 109" Forward Controls!!! Now that would have been a slow trip...

A very slow trip! Land Rover should have worked a lot closer with Santana... because a turbo intercooled version of this would have been a big hit and a stop gap.. It may have even lead to a Tdi6! ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IoH2WA7ilqw

dickyjoe
22nd October 2016, 08:44 AM
Wow! I guess that would be about 3-3.5 litres. Very English looking (obviously a six pack version of the 4 cylinder).

Sitec
22nd October 2016, 08:46 AM
And we won't go into what the Ninety or 110 would have been like if they had optioned this as an engine choice! Pity there was an oil crisis! Doh!! :D

Sitec
22nd October 2016, 08:49 AM
Wow! I guess that would be about 3-3.5 litres. Very English looking (obviously a six pack version of the 4 cylinder).

Yup. 3.429 indirect 6 with a CAV pump. :)

dickyjoe
22nd October 2016, 08:53 AM
And we won't go into what the Ninety or 110 would have been like if they had optioned this as an engine choice! Pity there was an oil crisis! Doh!! :D

I wonder how these would have lasted. The petrol version wears fairly hard in my opinion. I would think if the compression was 22:1 it probably would have needed to be recast in iron.

Sitec
22nd October 2016, 09:02 AM
I wonder how these would have lasted. The petrol version wears fairly hard in my opinion. I would think if the compression was 22:1 it probably would have needed to be recast in iron.

They were indeed block crackers.. The first engines were higher compression n/a's and didn't work. Then the block was upgraded with thicker webs (what later became the base for 3.9 and 4.2's I believe) and it was also turboed with what they called an 'interim' manafold which was suppose to help support the top of the Vee. They'd got the 3.5 V8 turbo diesel running well by all accounts, and then the 80's oil crisis arrived and it was shelved, never to resurface. Pity really. I'd have loved one! :)

isuzurover
22nd October 2016, 10:16 AM
A very slow trip! Land Rover should have worked a lot closer with Santana... because a turbo intercooled version of this would have been a big hit and a stop gap.. It may have even lead to a Tdi6! ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IoH2WA7ilqw

Yes indeed. I have always wanted one of those engines.