PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes benz experiences unprecedented demand for their new Dual Cab

Tote
23rd February 2017, 11:22 AM
Just goes to show what a concept that has decent tyres and (arguably) good looks can do. A very different concept to the DC 100 and I note that the other Mercedes concept that had the softer looks that was released at the same time is not featured.

Mercedes ute arrives in Australia (http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/first-ever-mercedesbenz-ute-lands-in-australia-as-cashedup-tradies-pay-record-prices-for-pickups/news-story/04d8e6d57e1949355bd9c335c518b15e)

I would imagine that LR will be watching with interest...

Regards,
Tote

PhilipA
23rd February 2017, 04:12 PM
Its a rebadged and reengined Nissan Navara.
Regards Philip A

cripesamighty
23rd February 2017, 05:17 PM
So does that mean this will be the only version of the Navara that doesn't smoke like a coal factory..... :wasntme:

Grumbles
23rd February 2017, 06:00 PM
Side on it looks like a Tata Xenon.

RobA
23rd February 2017, 07:04 PM
Its a rebadged and reengined Nissan Navara.
Regards Philip A

OH? I understood it is based on the original mil spec chassis?

Rob

tonyf
23rd February 2017, 07:19 PM
Interesting that it should be so eagerly awaited and perhaps says something about the Australian market - for example, tradies buying a luxury vehicle in a tax-effective way. I see it more as a copy of many vehicles already on the market, rather than a concept. I would hope that Land Rover pays more attention to the Toyota LC 70 series, especially in relation to a Defender replacement.

loanrangie
23rd February 2017, 08:51 PM
OH? I understood it is based on the original mil spec chassis?

Rob
No , shared platform from the navara as Phillip said.

Eevo
23rd February 2017, 09:13 PM
god! it looks like an open autopsy!

scarry
25th February 2017, 11:38 AM
Interesting that it should be so eagerly awaited and perhaps says something about the Australian market - for example, tradies buying a luxury vehicle in a tax-effective way. I see it more as a copy of many vehicles already on the market, rather than a concept. I would hope that Land Rover pays more attention to the Toyota LC 70 series, especially in relation to a Defender replacement.

I bet they don't,as it isn't very popular or possibly not even available in Europe or the US.

Sure, they should look at it,and they (70series),are very popular here,but we are only a very small market for LR worldwide.

They are more likely to target other direct competitors such as the modern large ute market, VW,Merc,Hi lux,Navara,etc.

The 70 series is old school,and toyota have said themselves it will go the same place as Defender in a few years,which is odd as it really has no direct competitor.

DazzaTD5
25th February 2017, 03:22 PM
Personally for me hell would freeze over before I looked at buying a "work ute" from Merc, VW or any other **** euro trash brand......

Toyota with the Land Cruiser and Hilux set the bench mark for tough and reliable work horse vehicles throughout the world.
Toyota biggest market for the LC70 series is the Middle East and Australia

Just like the end of the Defender.... the last of the Land Cruisier work horse will also be a shame.

Regards
Daz

Stuart02
26th February 2017, 06:34 AM
I think the world's defence forces and emergency services would agree that Merc deserve just a tad of credit for knowing how to build tough honest 4WDs (and charge through the teeth for them).
If you believe what you read there's more differences than similarities between the Merc and the Nissan donor...

DiscoMick
26th February 2017, 08:23 AM
It seems we are following the American trend of buying lots of trucks. We want rugged, but also lots of comforts. I'm sure LR will cover the trend with the next Defender. LR will want to sell boatloads in the USA and Europe. We are a small market and will have to take what we can get.

scarry
26th February 2017, 09:28 AM
Personally for me hell would freeze over before I looked at buying a "work ute" from Merc, VW or any other **** euro trash brand......

Regards
Daz

Thats why i run a fleet of Toyota vans.....and some have done upwards of 300 000k,they run fully loaded all day, without an issue,not even touched the brakes.

I know a few guys who run the European stuff,drama after drama.They are OK for about 100 000k,then they need lots of maintenance,repairs,blah,blah....

Ours are never off the road,even the services are done by the dealer after hours.

Service prices are also very reasonable,none of this $200/hr garbage.

And resale,way above any of the European stuff.

Just my 2cents worth....

Sitec
26th April 2017, 08:15 PM
Personally for me hell would freeze over before I looked at buying a "work ute" from Merc, VW or any other **** euro trash brand.....

Says he who has Td5 in his user name!! 😂 What Euro Trash do you drive? Defender or Disco Td5? I wouldn't own a Hilux or Hiace or anything similar, because they're all boringly similar, and predictable. We love our Euro trash. VW Golf, Range Rover, and Mercedes truck. Matter of preference I guess. :)

DazzaTD5
27th April 2017, 11:44 AM
Says he who has Td5 in his user name!! 😂 What Euro Trash do you drive? Defender or Disco Td5? I wouldn't own a Hilux or Hiace or anything similar, because they're all boringly similar, and predictable. We love our Euro trash. VW Golf, Range Rover, and Mercedes truck. Matter of preference I guess. :)

*People from the U.K all seem to have the viewpoint of ... there is the United Kingdom and way over there is Europe.
*If by "boringly similar, and predictable" you mean good built quality, good r&d, reliable... then yes, too true.
*Japanese brands that are built in Thailand (all Jap light 4x4s) and South Korean brands have some of the best build quality and reliability of any brands.

I just dont see why anyone would realistically or rationally buy a (supposedly) premium brand and pay premium price for a modern vehicle that is plagued with poor build quality and poor reliability issues.

The other slap in the face to consumers with premium brands
VW and its horrific scandal of cheating emissions regulations around the world. We arent talking about some CO emissions irregularity, its about 11 million vehicles producing horrific levels of NOX (oxides of nitrogen).
VW continued its attitude of maximising its profits over human health with the same emissions scandal to get the Audi Q7 into the Chinese market (after the original incident).
Audi accounts for 40% of the VW Group profits, Audi models such as the Q7 are a re-badged VW touareg built in Slovakia (same as Porsche and Bentley).
The Mercedes light 4x4 is after all the BS is said and done, is a Nissan NP200 built by Nissan in Spain or Argentina.
The Mercedes Musso (ah la Samyang Musso) built in Russia.
Numerous Mercedes and Volkswagen models built all over the world (read where ever there is cheap labour).
Mercedes CLA (model) relegated into the worst reliability reports down there with other **** boxes such as the Ford Focus, Holden Captiva or anything with a Dodge or Chrysler badge

Regards
Daz

Tombie
27th April 2017, 12:04 PM
So... Being Navara chassis its likely to snap in the middle like a twig?

Sitec
27th April 2017, 06:19 PM
*People from the U.K all seem to have the viewpoint of ... there is the United Kingdom and way over there is Europe.
*If by "boringly similar, and predictable" you mean good built quality, good r&d, reliable... then yes, too true.
*Japanese brands that are built in Thailand (all Jap light 4x4s) and South Korean brands have some of the best build quality and reliability of any brands.

I just dont see why anyone would realistically or rationally buy a (supposedly) premium brand and pay premium price for a modern vehicle that is plagued with poor build quality and poor reliability issues.

The other slap in the face to consumers with premium brands
VW and its horrific scandal of cheating emissions regulations around the world. We arent talking about some CO emissions irregularity, its about 11 million vehicles producing horrific levels of NOX (oxides of nitrogen).
VW continued its attitude of maximising its profits over human health with the same emissions scandal to get the Audi Q7 into the Chinese market (after the original incident).
Audi accounts for 40% of the VW Group profits, Audi models such as the Q7 are a re-badged VW touareg built in Slovakia (same as Porsche and Bentley).
The Mercedes light 4x4 is after all the BS is said and done, is a Nissan NP200 built by Nissan in Spain or Argentina.
The Mercedes Musso (ah la Samyang Musso) built in Russia.
Numerous Mercedes and Volkswagen models built all over the world (read where ever there is cheap labour).
Mercedes CLA (model) relegated into the worst reliability reports down there with other **** boxes such as the Ford Focus, Holden Captiva or anything with a Dodge or Chrysler badge

Regards
Daz

Yikes.. Did I touch a nerve? Dot points too!!😂 I was taking the **** at the fact that you slated Euro stuff yet you run and repair Land Rovers (and Jeeps I see). There was no need to get over excited back. I couldn't give a hoot where they're made. I just know that my Mercedes truck (not car, 4x4 etc) is German built, over engineered, solid and reliable. I can get parts for it world over in any country by just quoting the chassis number, and it is the only choice for a good overland vehicle. I also know that the VW Golf is solid, reliable and faultless and goes like a cut snake. My old 1990 GTD sold reciently for $5000 and had 400000kms on it and is still going like a cut snake! I actually can't stand anything else that's British built because the quality is/was dismal. Focus's, Astra's and Captives' are all shocking things.. Right up there with anything Dodge, Chrysler, Holden or Jeep built IMO. Anything I've had to do with Jap stuff has been good, if a little boring. The Hilux is over priced, and I hear good for cracking pistons now.

Re VW and its 'scandal', in the grand scheme of things its tiny.. Look at the amount of fuel any V6 or V8 Ford or Holden consumes.. (And the thirst of most older US cars). VW just got caught.

No offence was ment, I just had to smile when you had a stab at Euro stuff yet had/run a Td5. :)

loanrangie
27th April 2017, 07:49 PM
I wouldn't call a td5 euro , just the black sheep of the usually crap pommy ****boxes - yes I love my pommy ****boxes :)

DazzaTD5
1st May 2017, 11:06 AM
Yikes.. Did I touch a nerve? Dot points too!!😂 I was taking the **** at the fact that you slated Euro stuff yet you run and repair Land Rovers (and Jeeps I see). There was no need to get over excited back. I couldn't give a hoot where they're made. I just know that my Mercedes truck (not car, 4x4 etc) is German built, over engineered, solid and reliable. I can get parts for it world over in any country by just quoting the chassis number, and it is the only choice for a good overland vehicle. I also know that the VW Golf is solid, reliable and faultless and goes like a cut snake. My old 1990 GTD sold reciently for $5000 and had 400000kms on it and is still going like a cut snake! I actually can't stand anything else that's British built because the quality is/was dismal. Focus's, Astra's and Captives' are all shocking things.. Right up there with anything Dodge, Chrysler, Holden or Jeep built IMO. Anything I've had to do with Jap stuff has been good, if a little boring. The Hilux is over priced, and I hear good for cracking pistons now.

Re VW and its 'scandal', in the grand scheme of things its tiny.. Look at the amount of fuel any V6 or V8 Ford or Holden consumes.. (And the thirst of most older US cars). VW just got caught.

No offence was ment, I just had to smile when you had a stab at Euro stuff yet had/run a Td5. :)

*I realise no offense was intended, and I'm not intending the same either, to which I normally start with a "IMHO" (In My Humble Opinion) and at the end of the day, thats all it is, simply my view point on things, cheers.
*To be fair (or more balanced maybe) Mercedes trucks seem to have a good reputation for both build quality and reliability well beyond that of other truck brands.
*This does not equate to the same standards set by the car manufacturing.
*Just like your (or anyone's) old model VW's build quality does not equate to good build quality on new models.
*Yes I repair both the Land Rover and Jeep brands, I like them and could think of nothing worse than working on other brands. Apart from that dubious reason, sometimes there really is no accounting for stupidity.
*I try to use dot points where I can, including invoices to customers as it reduces my somewhat long winded explanations on things.
*Who could not have a passion for a bloody good engine such as the TD5 (again ref: I like them and no accounting for stupidity).

*I'm sure on a Corporate level Volkswagen LOVE NOTHING MORE than consumers that say:
*Oh its a minor thing.
*Its only a gov regulation thing.
*they arent the only ones, they just got caught out.
*Its a conspiracy against German car manufacturers by the American.
*Any other non qualified comment etc etc etc.

*NOx (oxides of Nitrogen) emissions are a serious health risk (plenty of factual information out there).
*Emissions/health issues aside. We are talking about a Corporation that took a corporate level decision to maximise their (the corporation) profits, rather than meet government regulations which would have been well within their (the corporation) scope of engineering ability.
*Yes there are plenty of corporations world wide that are maximising profits over consumers health or the planet (big tobacco, big oil etc etc).
*There are also plenty of corporations that are doing business in a ethically and environmental manner.

*As consumers should we not support corporations and businesses doing the right thing (you know, ethics and such) over ones that are blatantly not giving a ****? or do we just not care?

Regards
Daz