PDA

View Full Version : Good review of a Landcruiser Troopy - Andrew St Pierre White

spudboy
22nd March 2017, 01:24 PM
Pretty honest review of the LC Troopy, from someone who's spent 1,000s of KMs in a Defender (and Range Rover):

LAND CRUISER TROOPY V8 REVIEW. AndrewSPW Land Cruiser build-6 - YouTube (http://youtu.be/gnqnIQSe6DA)

http://youtu.be/gnqnIQSe6DA

Cheers
David

weeds
22nd March 2017, 01:46 PM
Started watching but didn't bother.....in another review comparing the defender to the troopy I'm fairly certain he say the troopy wins hands down......plus I doubt there is much to back up his stats.

cripesamighty
22nd March 2017, 03:55 PM
He was a bit more complementary about the Defender this time around, and the review is fairly good. He sure didn't hold back too much.

weeds
22nd March 2017, 04:11 PM
Might watch the whole thing than

cripesamighty
22nd March 2017, 04:12 PM
Funny thing I noticed was that he looks to be now based in Perth, given the number plate. When I looked at the video on Youtube it says to thank one of the Toyota dealers North of the river here. I haven't watched his channel for a while so didn't know he had left Sth Africa.

Robmacca
22nd March 2017, 04:56 PM
He obviously hadn't experienced the 1hdft & 1hdfte engines that came out in these Troopies. That in my opinion was the last good/reliable engine that toyota put in their vehicles. They're not a sensitive engine like the V8's either and gave reasonable economy and were able to be tweaked for even better performance....

Not sure I understand his comment about running leaf's in the rear and how when LR converted to coils all round that it was to their detriment?

To me, fitting coils all round and fixing up the rear track would only increase the popularity of the vehicle....

spudboy
22nd March 2017, 05:38 PM
I think he was saying that the leaf springs became the limiting thing for the car being driven too hard/fast.

Because the Defender got coils, people drove it harder and therefore it was more prone to breaking. With the leaf springs, your back and fillings tell you to slow down, so the car has better longevity.

Twisted logic!

scarry
22nd March 2017, 06:33 PM
You would pick up a damm good D4 for $75K....2nd hand of course

Robmacca
22nd March 2017, 07:35 PM
I think he was saying that the leaf springs became the limiting thing for the car being driven too hard/fast.

Because the Defender got coils, people drove it harder and therefore it was more prone to breaking. With the leaf springs, your back and fillings tell you to slow down, so the car has better longevity.

Twisted logic!

Yeah, you're probably right..... but someone forgot to tell all the backpackers on Fraser Island about it though.... ;)

stealth
22nd March 2017, 08:00 PM
Why do they call them a troop carrier when they don't.

Land Cruiser- an investment in rust guaranteed to pay off.

AK83
23rd March 2017, 12:22 AM

Twisted logic!

Spend a small fortune for what amounts to a 1800's cart, with major design flaws in the suspension(ie. rear track) and call it brilliant!

Umm, yeah! ... totally unbiased [bighmmm]

ozscott
23rd March 2017, 05:44 PM
You would pick up a damm good D4 for $75K....2nd hand of course
Agreed and the troopy isn't my cup of tea BUT if you want an overland tourer with big load capacity for weight and space for rear and roof the D4 isn't the right vehicle. Andrew is into heaps of room and load. Personally I would have done a 110.

Cheers

DiscoMick
24th March 2017, 08:55 AM
Can't buy Troopies in SA so he had to come to Perth to buy it. Said Australia has more accessories available for it than anywhere else do he would have the rear track widened and lots of other things fitted. I assume it will then be shipped to SA for him to use there.

spudboy
24th March 2017, 11:10 AM
Nope - he's left South Africa (& England) behind and has bought a house in Perth, so he's emigrated here!

scarry
24th March 2017, 03:19 PM
If a new Defender was available,i bet he would have had a good look at one before buying the Tojo.

As for the front and rear tracking differences,i bet 90% of owners wouldn't know about it,or even notice.

Even though it is ridiculous it has been left like it is by the manufacturer.

Actually,some of the leaf sprung patrols were the same.

weeds
24th March 2017, 06:12 PM
Only if he fit a pop top...my bet is his troopy will have a Alu-cab Poptop fitted