PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the VW fix for the emissions cheating software

spudfan
1st April 2017, 01:55 AM
If anyone is interested....
VW emissions software update - disaster - boards.ie (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057702638)
8 Reports of Volkswagen Tiguans Losing Power After EA189 Emissions Fix | Motoring News | Honest John (http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/volkswagen-emissions-scandal/8-reports-of-volkswagen-tiguans-losing-power-after-ea189-emissions-fix/)

cripesamighty
1st April 2017, 06:44 AM
Have heard of quite a few of these problems due to the supposed fix, mostly of overseas VW owners. Although some people might not like him, John Cadogan on his autoexpert website regularly eviscerates VW and their poor behaviour.

ramblingboy42
1st April 2017, 09:12 AM
I'm almost surrounded by VW products and they are behaving perfectly.

2 Toyotas at the end of the street aren't though.

I don't own a VW but my Ford Ranger, almost same mechanicals as a Defender , has none of the constant problems that appear to plague Defender owners.

Just depends how you look upon a product and where your allegiance lies. I have none.

Vern
1st April 2017, 11:08 AM
All our vw's past and current have been flawless!

Pedro_The_Swift
1st April 2017, 11:37 AM
Maybe,, but they are trying hard to kill the planet, VW had a choice, the worlds health or money..
and they chose money.
This problem wasnt an accident. They deliberately lied to the world about their emissions. They built millions of cars BY DESIGN that did not conform to health regulations. I dont care that they perform flawlessly (though you may not have 100% backing there--) I care about the fact VW dont care about the worlds health.

I hope the ACCC sues 'em for billions.

PAT303
1st April 2017, 03:18 PM
So all the other car makers who built millions of vehicles that don't comply,not to mention all the LR owners who disabled their EGR's etc are angels then?. Pat

Sitec
1st April 2017, 07:38 PM
Hi all. We have a MY12 VW Golf GTD that we bought new as Wifetec drives from The Barossa to Port Adelaide daily (and wastes an hour of her life each way IMO). Our Golf was in the 'group' that required the 'upgrade' to the software. I was sceptical and held off on getting it done for ages (car has now covered 180000kms), but the garage started getting funny about it so I relented on the proviso that they could guarantee no change in power. Anyway, before it went in, I did a timed 0 to 100 in a known clear safe spot. After the mod was done, I repeated the test, and there was no change in the time. So, we are happy, and still love the car.

Pedro_The_Swift
1st April 2017, 07:38 PM
no, where did I say that Pat?

They won big at the Car Of the Year two years back,, lots of awards, lots of ads saying Look at US we won these awards!
Then the awards organization kicked them out the next year and this year they, Audi and VW, are not offering cars for evaluation saying the awards "lack validity".
as a company VW can be categorized as sociopathic.

Someone elses opinion now,,
"The poison

Oxides of nitrogen - the poison gasses in question - are toxic chemicals. A peer-reviewed study in the journal: Environmental Research Letters >> (http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/10/11/114005), estimates 59 premature deaths in the US alone. The same study found 130 additional deaths would be prevented by making the cheating vehicles comply with emissions laws by the end of 2016. Good luck with that.

Learn more about oxides of nitrogen in Australia >>
(http://www.npi.gov.au/resource/oxides-nitrogen-0)
About half a million vehicles in the US are affected - thatís about four-and-a-half per cent of the total globally. Official global death toll estimates are unavailable. So if we pro-rate those deaths, multiply by 22, for a ballpark estimate, for 11 million cars, thatís 1300 prematurely dead people. One thousand, three hundred. (Or 4158 if they donít fix their f^ck-up by the end of the year.)

Four thousand plus: Thatís more deaths than those Saudi Al Qaeda assholes killed 15 years ago in New York. Imagine if Boko Haram, Al-Shabaab or Hamas killed 4000 people - westerners - tomorrow. How indignant would you feel about that?

Why is this any different? Those lives matter too. Surely your life is not worth less outrage if you are killed by a carmaker instead of a terrorist?"

PAT303
2nd April 2017, 10:46 AM
Pedro,How many deaths can be blamed on a 2.0ltr VW T/D burning 5ltre/100 compared to the millions of Yank tanks fitted with oversize engines burning 20ltres/100 that had no chance of passing emission laws so they simply changed the laws?.If you want to prosecute VW over 4000 deaths they supposedly caused,why don't you sue McDonalds,KFC,Hungry Jacks,Coke,Mountain Dew etc over the obesity epidemic they are directly responsible for which kills more people a day than any other cause?.

Eevo
2nd April 2017, 11:01 AM
VW lied to us. thats enough for me.

PAT303
2nd April 2017, 11:03 AM
As to the journal article,sorry the researchers even admit there's too many variables,they used probabilistic outcomes blah blah.They would have their outcome cut to pieces under even modest scrutiny.

ATH
3rd April 2017, 08:09 AM
If there's going to be bureaucratic led witch hunts for everyone whose product supposedly caused a premature death, what about the fag producers then? Or alcoholic drink people?
Those 2 products have caused far more deaths than probably any other product ever without that being proved by dodgy statistics. 59 deaths in the US !!!!! Well bugger me there's over 300 million of them left so the figure is virtually meaningless.

AlanH.

vnx205
3rd April 2017, 11:29 AM
is the issue whether or not their product is harmful?

Surely the more important issue is their dishonesty. They were deliberately trying to hide the truth.

In the same way that it seems to be that when politicians do something wrong, any attempt to cover up is regarded as a more serious issue that the actual offence. Lying to Parliament is even more serious.

Volkswagen's dishonesty falls into a similar category.

PAT303
3rd April 2017, 03:35 PM
Tanaka lied about their faulty airbags that have killed people,they not getting dragged over the coals because of it. Pat

Pedro_The_Swift
3rd April 2017, 04:18 PM
well Pat, actually they are.
The company is basically stuffed now.
and so they should be.

Sitec
3rd April 2017, 06:48 PM
I think we're all forgetting something here... VW as a group is not to blame.. Some numpty who decided it would be alright to make software to adjust the emissions when test equipment is connected is to blame. There would have been a chain of 'management' who knew and were involved, but 99% of the manufacturing workforce, sales and service teams would have no idea. So, tearing 'VW' to shreads probably isn't the best approach, because doing so might just put an awful lot of people out of a job! Yup, its wrong, yup, it shouldn't have happened, yup someone needs their backside kicked, and thats probably happening. There are bigger issues in the world.. China and its pollution, India and its pollution, all the fighting between religeous numptys. Add to that the fact that 50% of the big old lazy diesels here and in Europe pump out all sorts of rubbish (petrols included) and go largely unchecked, America and the muppet that's currently 'running' it is a huge worry. So really, in the grand scheme of things VW's little 'oops' is a fart in a swimming pool. :)

DiscoMick
3rd April 2017, 06:56 PM
Management knew about it to a high level. Those who didn't know, should have known and were obviously incompetent.
I have been a director of non-profit companies and I took my responsibilities seriously enough to ask questions about things management wanted to cover up. In one case that helped to uncover that $180,000 in spending was unaccounted for. That's very small beer in the scheme of things, but it is an example of how it should work work.
The managers in VW who knew and covered it up should be sacked for fraud and the directors who should have known should be sacked for incompetence.
Lying has badly damaged VW's reputation. They should have taken responsibility and resigned, rather than waiting to be found out.

PAT303
3rd April 2017, 07:20 PM
Mick,I've argued with you in the past about this,none of the vehicles,be it petrol or diesel have ever past emissions tests or economy tests because the whole testing criteria is a load of rubbish.VW found a loop hole and exploited it,nothing more. Pat

PAT303
3rd April 2017, 07:46 PM
well Pat, actually they are.
The company is basically stuffed now.
and so they should be.

Their fine for knowingly supplying faulty airbags was US 25 million,not much for causing the biggest recall in vehicle history,the fine for their seat belt recall cost them a staggering US $50,000,yes fifty thousand dollars.They paid off the courts last year to the tune of 1 Billion dollars in exchange for closing the case,no more convictions,pay outs,compensation etc,they wiped their hands of it.It puts VW's manipulation of a fake emission test into perspective doesn't it?. Pat

PAT303
3rd April 2017, 07:51 PM
I think we're all forgetting something here... VW as a group is not to blame.. Some numpty who decided it would be alright to make software to adjust the emissions when test equipment is connected is to blame. There would have been a chain of 'management' who knew and were involved, but 99% of the manufacturing workforce, sales and service teams would have no idea. So, tearing 'VW' to shreads probably isn't the best approach, because doing so might just put an awful lot of people out of a job! Yup, its wrong, yup, it shouldn't have happened, yup someone needs their backside kicked, and thats probably happening. There are bigger issues in the world.. China and its pollution, India and its pollution, all the fighting between religeous numptys. Add to that the fact that 50% of the big old lazy diesels here and in Europe pump out all sorts of rubbish (petrols included) and go largely unchecked, America and the muppet that's currently 'running' it is a huge worry. So really, in the grand scheme of things VW's little 'oops' is a fart in a swimming pool. :)

It's even funnier reading peoples concerns about pollution on this forum when better than half of all the post Tdi Land Rovers on here have had the pollution equipment either bypassed or disabled. Pat

DiscoMick
3rd April 2017, 08:33 PM
Yes, that's one reason I've left mine alone. I'd feel like a hypocrite if I criticised others and then did it myself.

Pedro_The_Swift
4th April 2017, 06:11 AM
so, its all ok Pat??
you seem almost against these companies getting into trouble for choosing money over people,,
regardless of what penalties are involved the OUTCOMES provide what is acceptable to people as to how a company does business.
If you are happy to deal with companies that LIE and CHEAT, thats ok, FOR YOU.
Dont expect to convince me thats a good way to live my life.

Pedro_The_Swift
4th April 2017, 06:21 AM
Their fine for knowingly supplying faulty airbags was US 25 million,not much for causing the biggest recall in vehicle history,the fine for their seat belt recall cost them a staggering US $50,000,yes fifty thousand dollars.They paid off the courts last year to the tune of 1 Billion dollars in exchange for closing the case,no more convictions,pay outs,compensation etc,they wiped their hands of it.It puts VW's manipulation of a fake emission test into perspective doesn't it?. Pat

Takata Bidders Said to Favor Japan Bankruptcy; Shares Tumble - Bloomberg (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-19/takata-stock-set-to-fall-after-bidders-said-to-favor-bankruptcy)
"The $1 billion it agreed to pay in the U.S. settlement includes $25 million to the authorities and $975 million to compensate carmakers and people who were injured, according to court papers. While the criminal fine is due within a month, the company doesnít have to pay the restitution until itís sold because it canít afford to pay now."

I would say its exactly the right amount, cant get blood out of a stone and this amount will bankrupt the company.

as for perspective,
lot more blood available at VW,

Volkswagen emissions deception involved executives at highest levels, U.S. lawsuits allege | Financial Post (http://business.financialpost.com/news/transportation/volkswagen-emissions-deception-involved-executives-at-highest-levels-u-s-lawsuits-allege)
ďThe allegations against Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche reveal a culture of deeply rooted corporate arrogance, combined with a conscious disregard for the rule of law or the protection of public health and the environment,Ē Eric T. Schneiderman, the New York attorney general, said in a statement.

DiscoMick
4th April 2017, 06:55 AM
VW is the world's largest automaker and must be required to operate to acceptable standards of corporate behaviour or it will become a threat to democracy.

DeanoH
4th April 2017, 07:30 AM
VW lied to us. thats enough for me.

:Rolling::Rolling:

FFS Eevo [bigrolf], politicians lie to us every day. Neville Chamberlain said there'd be "peace in our time", Bob Hawke said "no child will live in poverty", Little Johnny said there'd "never ever be a GST" and so on and so forth. I'll start worrying when powerful people start telling the truth. [bigrolf]

VW is the world's largest automaker and must be required to operate to acceptable standards of corporate behaviour or it will become a threat to democracy.

Crikey Mick, you've got to be kidding. [bigsmile1] This is VW we're talking about here not Adolf Hitler and the burning of the the Reichstag. Someone in VW played games with their testing software to give a misleading result, big deal, the lawyers will have a field day and make a bloody fortune, for the rest of us ................... small beer.

Finally, a voice of reason and perspective. [bigsmile1]

'Be careful of high horses .......................... you can fall off and break your neck'

Deano :)

Eevo
4th April 2017, 08:03 AM

FFS Eevo [bigrolf], politicians lie to us every day. Neville Chamberlain said there'd be "peace in our time", Bob Hawke said "no child will live in poverty", Little Johnny said there'd "never ever be a GST" and so on and so forth. I'll start worrying when powerful people start telling the truth. [bigrolf]

there is an expectation that politicians lie.

does that same expectation exist for car manufactures other than the salesman?

DiscoMick
4th April 2017, 08:18 AM

Crikey Mick, you've got to be kidding. [bigsmile1] This is VW we're talking about here not Adolf Hitler and the burning of the the Reichstag. Someone in VW played games with their testing software to give a misleading result, big deal, the lawyers will have a field day and make a bloody fortune, for the rest of us ................... small beer.

Finally, a voice of reason and perspective. [bigsmile1]

'Be careful of high horses .......................... you can fall off and break your neck'

Deano :)
VW tried to cheat the anti-pollution laws introduced by democratically - elected governments to reduce the pollution caused by businesses, so VW deliberately challenged democracy and the rule of law. So that is a very big deal. Who runs our countries - governments elected by the people or corporate executives who answer only to shareholders?
This is a similar issue to the fact that one-third of Australia's largest companies have rorted the tax system so they don't pay any company tax - none at all.
That means ordinary people have pay more tax or have government support cut, such as false robo-debt demands on pensioners, so the poor suffer because the rich have gone on strike and refuse to contribute to the society which generates their wealth.
So yes, this IS a big deal.

PAT303
4th April 2017, 08:52 AM
so, its all ok Pat??
you seem almost against these companies getting into trouble for choosing money over people,,
regardless of what penalties are involved the OUTCOMES provide what is acceptable to people as to how a company does business.
If you are happy to deal with companies that LIE and CHEAT, thats ok, FOR YOU.
Dont expect to convince me thats a good way to live my life.

Not at all,I'm providing a different side to the story,plus I really enjoy these discussions.I'm all against corruption,but lets look at it in depth,why was VW able to use cheat software?,why,because they test emissions by sticking the vehicle on a rolling dyno with the back wheels stationary and the front ones spinning at 2200 engine rpm's.Is that an effective way to check emissions?,of cause it's not.VW simply wrote a code that allowed the ECU to recognise when the rear wheels were stopped via the ABS sensors when the fronts were spinning allowing the fuel mixture to then be leaned out and passing the test.Whats the point in fining VW when the test itself is totally bogus?.If we want to get real on emissions lets get real and test vehicles correctly.You are being incredibly nieve if you think VW are the only ones doing it considering every Tom Dick and Harry have done real world tests,I've read quite a few and found VW to average the lowest emissions,if they have the lowest and needed cheat software what are the others doing?. Pat

DiscoMick
4th April 2017, 11:59 AM
Of course the test is artificial but all tests have to be standardised so the results can be compared. I see a road driving cycle is being added to make them more real world.
The point is VW gamed the system to cheat and then lied about it. That is unacceptable corporate behaviour.
Governments must reassert control over multinationals or democracy will be undermined and we'll end up as wage slaves of the rich and powerful.

PAT303
4th April 2017, 07:50 PM
[QUOTE=Pedro_The_Swift;2658215]Takata Bidders Said to Favor Japan Bankruptcy; Shares Tumble - Bloomberg (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-19/takata-stock-set-to-fall-after-bidders-said-to-favor-bankruptcy)

They are going bankrupt to get out of paying compensation,that's very different from going bankrupt paying compensation. Pat

V8Ian
4th April 2017, 08:01 PM
we'll end up as wage slaves of the rich and powerful.

You lucky buggar Mick, I already am. [bawl]

cuppabillytea
5th April 2017, 01:24 PM
Hey spudfan, remind me I owe you one next time I'm over there.[thumbsupbig]

DiscoMick
22nd April 2017, 11:02 AM
Volkswagen fined US$2.8 billion in emissions scandal Volkswagen to pay US$2.8 billion in emissions scandal, judge orders - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://ab.co/2ocWKXb) - via @abcnews
VW goes down again. Cheating doesn't pay.

Slunnie
22nd April 2017, 12:43 PM
I wonder if they will go after all of the other manufacturers who don't comply with US emission laws also.

Mick_Marsh
24th October 2017, 12:48 PM
Environmentally friendly vehicle consumers being ripped off, 'real-world' testing shows - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-23/environmentally-friendly-vehicles-rip-off-consumers:-report/9078038)

Vern
24th October 2017, 01:24 PM
Environmentally friendly vehicle consumers being ripped off, 'real-world' testing shows - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-23/environmentally-friendly-vehicles-rip-off-consumers:-report/9078038)Hang on, so other car companies other than vw have lied to us![emoji848][emoji848]

superquag
24th October 2017, 02:41 PM
So, there is a 'disconnect' between Real World Use and govt. mandated efficiency testing... No point in stressing over that, when your State governments are squandering assets (a better price might fix a highway or two...)
VW or govt assets being gifted to Very Rich Individuals, which is the less honest...

How a power station sold for peanuts became a $730 million asset - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-24/coal-power-station-sold-for-peanuts-becomes-730-million-asset/9077582)

PAT303
24th October 2017, 03:25 PM
Hang on, so other car companies other than vw have lied to us![emoji848][emoji848]

Your kidding aren't you?,next thing you'll be telling me is Santa Clause is not real.[bigwhistle] Pat

Vern
24th October 2017, 03:27 PM
Your kidding aren't you?,next thing you'll be telling me is Santa Clause is not real.[bigwhistle] PatNah he is real alright! And he is due to show his face very soon

frantic
26th October 2017, 11:40 PM
In the original test that set the vw dieselgate ball in motion, they where originally trying to show how much better small diesel cars where for the environment. They where shocked that a vw was pumping out 40, yes 40 times the maximum level of Nox ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
now as someone elsewhere said " what about their big trucks" well of that type of emission, a semi puts out less..... This is actually tested on the run by equipment permanently fitted after a truck maker tried the same trick years ago.
as has been said vw set it up so in the lab they did euro5 or California xyz but on the road 40 times worse.
The emissions that cause the breathing problems are not the "rolling coal" type from no egr but are invisible and deadly.
Think about this, they programmed the egrs and injectors etc to run rich and not use recirculated crap, now those poorly designed to be used little components are going to be working very hard, how long do you think they will last?
As for VW reliability BULL**** !!!!!!
Our ex multivan almost killed us and it's dsg is a well known problem common across the world, yet we get screwed here. Basically driving home on freeway and at 100kph it goes into limp mode in front of a semitrailer! Lucky it was downhill and I got into the exit lane. The dsg gearbox had decided to **** itself and lost even gears. Repair bill was over $11,000 which we argued with vw about and eventually got it down to $5800.
Now in USA, Japan or China it would have been free as their govts have all enforced a 10 year warranty on all dsg VW's after lots of the same issues. The van was 6.5 years old 140,000km and just outside the extended warranty we paid for, fully serviced by our mechanic to book.
Other Tdi common problems, besides gearbox are the water pump or pipe seals ,which leaks onto egr electronics and stuffs them. We where lucky to have that happen under warranty at about 90,000km so free fix. Egr valve or spring itself after 70,000km Fast wear out of front tyres even with rotation.
We got rid of it as soon as it was fixed, and EVERY dealer , we went to 8, asked and tested the transmission including 2 who had vw in their multi franchise.

And one other point to ponder, no insurer will offer an extension to the vw warranty now past 5 years, yet the dinosaur we got for my wife ,Isuzu MUX, comes standard with a 5year and it's cheaper to get a 5 year extension to 10 years than it is to up the vw by 2 years (or 3years that we did in 2011)to 5 years..... Now why would a statistical based company refuse coverage hmmmmmmm,,😉

Vern
27th October 2017, 06:41 AM
That's your opinion being that reliability is bull****, and i see you have had bad luck.
We have had trouble free motoring from all our vw's, dsg included.
Worst thing we have had happen was a tiny split in an intercooler hose.
They have been much better and more reliable than any other cars we have owned, land rover included.

frantic
27th October 2017, 07:42 PM
Honestly Vern, the dsg reliability issues are not my "opinion" their a documented fact. Simply do a search on warranty forced by Japan , USA and china on defective dsg. To get that response into law requires far more than one "opinion" it is from thousands of owners with the same issues.
Throw in the fact that a replacement gearbox is almost the value of the 6 year old car that was $50k new and it's designed obsolescence.

incisor
27th October 2017, 08:17 PM
There are multiple types of vw dsg and it is the dry clutch dsg that had the issues

Had no issues with the wet clutch dsg my vehicle was fitted with

Vern
27th October 2017, 08:20 PM
Honestly Vern, the dsg reliability issues are not my "opinion" their a documented fact. Simply do a search on warranty forced by Japan , USA and china on defective dsg. To get that response into law requires far more than one "opinion" it is from thousands of owners with the same issues.
Throw in the fact that a replacement gearbox is almost the value of the 6 year old car that was $50k new and it's designed obsolescence.You said vw reliability, not reliability of the dsg gearbox.
We only had one vw with this box and had no issues, the other 3 have been manual, and as i said have not had any dramas with them whatsoever.

Vern
27th October 2017, 08:22 PM
There are multiple types of vw dsg and it is the dry clutch dsg that had the issues

Had no issues with the wet clutch dsg my vehicle was fitted withI am not sure which version we had (2009 passat) , but if was flawless for us.
I notice a lot of other car companies run a version of the dsg too

incisor
28th October 2017, 08:08 AM
I am not sure which version we had (2009 passat) , but if was flawless for us.
I notice a lot of other car companies run a version of the dsg too

Ask a ford owner about their dsg

Multiple class actions there....

frantic
28th October 2017, 08:12 AM
The other dsg culprit is the ford focarse. It is also a major source off issues, to the point that ford don't sell dsg focus in USA. They put in a normal auto.Lemon laws and litigation would have nothing whatsoever to do with that[bigwhistle].......
The wet dsg is so reliable that there was another van same age as mine in getting the same job, ohh and supplies where in such great abundance ,piled up sitting on shelves gathering dust, that we only had to wait 2 weeks for a gearbox to be shipped in from Germany [tonguewink]. This is the same gearbox used in every auto Tiguan and multivan/Caravelle/transporter.... Not like they only sell 1 a month. Imagine calling Toyota and being told there are no RAV4 gearboxes here.
The problem is a 3 pronged one,
first design. The electrical control unit(called mechatronic unit$3500) is inside the gearbox, now sitting a computer in hot oil does not ensure longevity.
Secondly there is no trade discount or second had rebuilt devices. Go to a independent garage and they still have to pay full retail for a new gearbox. Now on a 6year old plus van, Tiguan or golf this will be close to or exceed the cars value.
Thirdly even if you get an independent specialist to replace either the entire box or the control unit, you still need to get it towed to a VW dealer to mate the box to the mechatronic unit and engine Ecu as vw keep all the codes under a security claim. This further increase the cost of any gearbox work.
Their not the only ones to do this and there is a big case being run against numerous manufacturers locking up their software unless a fee is paid.

You might ask how we know the cost of the mechatronic unit? Well the timeline was :gearbox fail, diagnosed by independent as mechatronic unit, went to vw to see as just outside extended warranty with full service history; offered 1/2 price mechatronic unit; we had no time to pick up that late so said would get next day; am get phone call from dealer gearbox is stuffed , diagnosed remotely by vw! ,so whole unit needs replacing, let the games begin........

2009 Passat was the dry, so you where lucky. Don't bother looking in the local vw watercooled forum as ANY negative posts get removed or heavily edited, almost like there's a VW employee admin????[bigwhistle]

incisor
28th October 2017, 10:16 AM
we get it that you have an agenda

fair enough, you had a bad experience

the failure rate on the wet 6 speed dsg was by all accounts well below industry averages when i was doing my research

best gearbox i have ever had the pleasure of using IMHO

couldn't ever say the same for the integrity of the dealer network...

but thats another story

frantic
28th October 2017, 09:14 PM
we get it that you have an agenda

fair enough, you had a bad experience

the failure rate on the wet 6 speed dsg was by all accounts well below industry averages when i was doing my research

best gearbox i have ever had the pleasure of using IMHO

couldn't ever say the same for the integrity of the dealer network...

but thats another story
No agenda, but the way Oz was and is being treated compared to USA, china or Japan is disgraceful. Let's start with 500,000 plus recalls on dsg
Access Denied (https://www.motoring.com.au/volkswagen-australia-recalls-dsg-cars-37051/)

Follow that with 1.6 million.
Volkswagen recall cars worldwide over faulty gearbox and light fuses | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2507401/Volkswagen-recall-cars-worldwide-faulty-gearbox-light-fuses.html)

And this one highlights our treatment v USA / china/ Singapore/Japan because the code is voluntary unless forced by a minister:
Faults that trashed a reputation (http://m.drive.com.au/it-pro/faults-that-trashed-a-reputation-20130607-2nvlc)

My agenda is that my wife and I where almost killed , and we would have left behind 5 kids 5-17, 2 with type one diabetes and none of our family have a clue how to manage their insulin needs, change a set, change or calibrate a CGM, set bolus carb ratios or correction ratios on their pumps. Our 11 year old can bolus himself for food, but our 5 year old cannot.
So when I see vw not only trying to hide it's mistakes, but actively threatening news outlets by withdrawing advertising if any negatives are published, and then forced into a 10 year warranty on known issues in numerous other countries, but screwing over numerous people here, it makes my blood boil. Throw in dieselgate and it's the cherry on the manure pile by vw