PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle search

Baldrick
9th April 2017, 10:01 PM
Hi, my first post so thought it should be a good one...
I am searching for an old Land Rover used during the Snowy Hydro construction. However this vehicle was used by NSW Police. I believe it was based in Cabramurra, NSW. It had NSW rego DNK668. (See attached photos). I was wishing to find out how to track the vehicle down with no chassis number etc, only a rego? Any assistance appreciated.
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2017/04/812.jpg https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2017/04/813.jpg

cuppabillytea
9th April 2017, 10:23 PM
Good luck with this one Baldrick.( Great username. Which I'd thought of it.)'
The last time we had a thread start like this, it became a great Epic and the end was just bloody brilliant.
So, take heart. You never know.

Baldrick
9th April 2017, 10:28 PM
Good luck with this one Baldrick.( Great username. Which I'd thought of it.)'
The last time we had a thread start like this, it became a great Epic and the end was just bloody brilliant.
So, take heart. You never know.

Thanks Cuppa,
I know it's a long shot.
It was my Uncle's vehicle when he was based at the Cabramurra Police Station. Would love to track it down. Hopefully it is still running.

Tim_AM
10th April 2017, 07:53 AM
Nice photos!

There is an ex Snowy Hydro landy on Carsales at the moment, but i dont think its the same one, Side lights/ indicators are the other way around,

Good luck with your search!

QRS40
11th April 2017, 12:09 PM
You should be able to do a rego search through RTA (or whatever its called these days). You wont get personal details (privacy restrictions) but you should be able to get the engine & chassis number. That will give you much more to go on.
Also, to me that looks like a Series 2 (or 2A?) vehicle so that will also narrow it down for you. Some with better knowledge here will probably be able to confirm the likely model/years of production

BTW, Great photos!
Good luck

harry
19th April 2017, 04:52 PM
Hi Baldrick,
I have an ex NSW police s2a, but its not the one you are looking for.
there is another member on here who also has an ex NSW police car and I have forgotten who he is, but I will check for you, it shouldn't be to hard to find him.

but it's a long shot that it's the same car.

do you or your father have any other pictures of police land rovers?
and particularly the police emblem on the doors?

I notice your pictures show only the badge on the drivers door, but the passenger door looks to be a different colour.

interesting to see chains on the front wheels, not the rears, I guess they only had one set of chains.

great photos.

harry
19th April 2017, 05:03 PM
ok, back again,
isuzutoo-eh has the other 2a ex nsw police. you can find him by searching or pm him.

interestingly, his car has different colour doors as does mine.
I think this may be because the cars had the paint stripped off the doors on sale to remove the police insignia.

harry
19th April 2017, 05:05 PM
bugger, I just looked again at your photo's, now I need to buy some spotlights/fog lights!!!

JDNSW
19th April 2017, 08:25 PM
From the pictures it is a 2 or 2a pre -1967.

John

mick88
20th April 2017, 01:40 PM
A soft top in the snowy!
It makes me shiver with cold just looking at the photos of it.
Looks to have a seat belt hanging out the drivers door.
John does that help with narrowing down approximate year of the vehicle?

Cheers, Mick.

JDNSW
20th April 2017, 02:32 PM
Looks to have a seat belt hanging out the drivers door.
John does that help with narrowing down approximate year of the vehicle?

Cheers, Mick.

Not really - the SMHEA mandated seat belts in all vehicles from the very early fifties, and while a police vehicle would not have come under their mandate, it would be likely to be strongly influenced by this policy - SMHEA might even have fitted it for them.

Don 130
20th April 2017, 07:47 PM
[QUOTE=harry

interesting to see chains on the front wheels, not the rears, I guess they only had one set of chains.
[/QUOTE]

Chains are fitted to the front to ensure steering is effective
Don.