PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weld Epoxy

Dark61
27th June 2017, 05:22 PM
Went to offer up the starter motor back in place and the top l/h thread on the case is fuggered. Looks like someone has tried to drill out a stud or bolt at some point and failed miserably.Theres no thread left and its hard up against the side of the engine so i doubt i could get in a drill and re thread it.So was thinking would a Tube of cold weld be enough to hold a bolt in place with the main strain held on the bolt bottom r/h or am i wasting my money. Its only the bush basher, not intended for anything other than collecting wood.
Cheers,
d

Homestar
27th June 2017, 05:47 PM
If everything is scrupulously clean and prepared properly, JB Weld might do the trick. I've used that stuff for all sorts of things including holding an alloy timing cover together that was broken in half - which is still going strong many years later.

Worth a try IMO.

Dark61
27th June 2017, 07:32 PM
Thanks - I was thinking give it a go - but if loads of people came back to me and said no its rubbish I wouldn't bother. So I'll have a crack at it and will let you know.

cheers,
D

bee utey
27th June 2017, 08:14 PM
If it's properly stripped out a helicoil tap might get in there, driven by a 1/4 or 3/8 drive ratchet.

Dark61
29th June 2017, 02:32 PM
If it's properly stripped out a helicoil tap might get in there, driven by a 1/4 or 3/8 drive ratchet.

I had no idea this stuff existed - thanks for the heads up.

I slapped a small amount of the epoxy stuff on the thread of the bolt - there was a tiny bit of thread left in the hole and pushed the bolt in. Bottom bolt all good. Shoved a lump of wood under the starter, resting on the engine and the chassis just to give it some extra support. Hit the starter and all good - its turning over nicely. Now to put the manifolds, carby and ass pipework back on. And then fingers crossed.
Cheers,
D