PDA

View Full Version : Phase Change Material - Heating or cooling

NavyDiver
4th July 2017, 08:04 PM
I added Phase Change Material -PCM -in the floor space between the ground and 2nd floor during a house reno. Almost a total rebuild.

When I brought the PCM I could only get PCM which change phase at 23 degrees. The supplier was a bit worried I might have trouble cooling my house. I just found an interesting opposite which some of you might like to see.
We have had the house heated via Hydronic heating mostly for free via solar PV and heat pumps at 20 degrees or so for a few months now. With a few sunny days I change the temperature on the heating to 25 degrees. When the sun was up. House stayed at 21 to 21.5 with the heating on much more than normal. I had also installed cooling via split systems. I turned them to heating and 24 degrees when the sun came up brightly today. House was still 22 only. four hours later!

Turned up everything to 27 and 3 hours late the temperature is a nice 23 degrees. It took a lot of energy to move the house to the 23 degrees. I did the same with a Split system I have at work and inside 10 minutes it was 27 degrees.

This was clearly not a scientific test but as it was for free using solar and it seems to suggest to me that holding my house below 23 degrees in summer should be cheap or (free via solar power)

If building you might like to consider if this might work for your heating and cooling.

Have to go find my shorts now.