PDA

View Full Version : What's this worth now???

Mercguy
13th July 2017, 02:25 PM
Yesterday, just around the corner I saw a new Disco Sport turning into the next street.... and then

This happened.

I'm sorry, but have a close look at the picture.

Now, are you laughing? or are you feeling empathetic?

I felt sorry for them, as I saw the accident.

But then I saw something else when I took this pic, and was all of a sudden in two minds as to whether or not there wasn't a teeny weeny portion of blame there.

Mick_Marsh
13th July 2017, 02:32 PM
At least they got the rego plate of the car that ran into them.

cripesamighty
13th July 2017, 03:01 PM
Yeah, that made me laugh. I saw that right after I saw the number plate surround. Dumb question though, but what happens to the new cars coming out with monocoque Aluminium bodies/chassis in the event of an accident? Are they as repairable as traditional cars built out of steel or are there limitations because of say, stress fractures propagating in the alloy etc? Will some cars now be written off after minor impacts that in the past were easily fixed? I have no idea of the metallurgical properties of the new breed of monocoque aluminium cars so am interested in what if any changes this might usher in repair-wise.

trout1105
13th July 2017, 03:04 PM
I doubt that the same impact on a D2 would cause that much damage [bigwhistle]

ozscott
13th July 2017, 04:38 PM
I doubt that the same impact on a D2 would cause that much damage [bigwhistle]
I had my D2 rammed hard by a Pajero...only gave it a mild twist to the spare wheel carrier. The d2 is a little tank in comparison. Especially the rear sections. Cheers

Mercguy
13th July 2017, 05:06 PM
I'd better extrapolate a little.

The vehicle that hit the disco was an Amarok.
It was not a high speed impact. No airbags deployed.
The rear spare wheel tub on the disco is punched in behind the bumper - I had a pretty good look at it.
I reckon there's a pretty big repair bill coming.

TB
13th July 2017, 07:56 PM
I had my D2 rammed hard by a Pajero...only gave it a mild twist to the spare wheel carrier. The d2 is a little tank in comparison. Especially the rear sections. Cheers

I'm pretty sure this is a well-worn conversation by now... it's much cheaper to fix a vehicle than it is to fix its occupants. I'm very happy with the improvements in safety over the years.

ozscott
13th July 2017, 09:26 PM
Crush zones are fantastic at slowing the human body's deceleration. Crush zones are great...until they run out...then they are not. I prefer crush zones WITH a lot of structure. The ultimate example of that is not D2 but in fact D3/4. The D2 is Strong though. Cheers

Cheers

trout1105
14th July 2017, 12:12 AM
I'm very happy with the improvements in safety over the years.

So are the new car dealers and smash repair people I would imagine [bigwhistle]
A low impact contact like what happened to this car should not do this much damage, It appears to be a case of Under engineering to me.