PDA

View Full Version : Veggie Oil conversion on a 300 TDi

TonyB
30th January 2006, 03:34 PM
I am currently converting my 300 TDi Defender over to use Waste Vegetable Oil as fuel.

Has anyone here done a similar conversion?

sclarke
31st January 2006, 11:30 AM
let us know how you go.

Outlaw
31st January 2006, 11:59 AM
so you talking straight oil or turning it into bio-diesel?

cameron
1st February 2006, 07:39 PM
Hi Tony,
I haven't converted my 300tdi to WVO but I have been running it on biodiesel for about 50,000km without much problem.

The point of this posting is though to recommend that you click across and check out the biofuels forum (if you have not already) as there are a bunch of people with a lot of experience in this area and also quite a lot of landrover members in there as well so if you are likely to find an answer on WVO & landrovers from anywhere in Australia (and some from overseas but it is primarily focused on the Australian biofuels community then that is as good a place to start as any for local help. It is funny - there must be something about people who like landrovers that they often like mucking around with other stuff as well ....

www.sydneybiodiesel.com for the main homepage or

www.biofuelsforum.com/index.php

for the forums page (which you can link to from the Sydney Biodiesel home page).

You will find main categories such as:
'Using Biodiesel'
'Making Biodiesel'
'General Biodiesel Discussion'
'Australian SVO - Straight Vegetable Oil/WCO - Waste Cooking Oil'
'Sydney Biodiesel Users'
'Melbourne Biodiesel Users'
'Brisbane Biodiesel Users'
'Perth Biodiesel Users'
'Adelaide Biodiesel Users'
'Canberra Biodiesel Users'
'Darwin and Alice Springs Biodiesel Users'
'Hobart Biodiesel Users'

... and within them a myriad of interesting threads to research and people to get in touch with.

You don't need to get to the forums via the Sydney Biodiesel home page but I would recommend it as there are heaps of interesting items and articles that you can explore on there.

As you progress through your project we would REALLY like to hear how you go and even better to get photos?

If you are interested too by the way I have discovered a ready made, cheap fuel preheater / heat exchanger that you could look at incorporating into your system. Haven't fitted one yet but I intend to do so before winter comes and for WVO I imagine it would be a necessity.

Also if you were keen to go biodiesel rather than to convert to WVO I know of a person in Byron Bay who has access to a source of biodiesel. I could find out if there is excess production available for sale?

Best regards,
Cameron

dullbird
2nd February 2006, 12:27 AM
we put veg oil in our 200tdi when there was a fuel shortage in the uk 8O

we didn't do any great milage on it though

boyfriend had done it on a couple of occasions............... :? don't personaly know if it does any damage but i would imagine it would make for great chips when it explodes :wink:

TonyB
3rd February 2006, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the info Cameron.

I already have a Heat Exchanger - I bought one meant for a Glind Shower. Seems a really good unit.

I need to find a place to fit a large 5 Micron Filter & mount a good pump.

Must get moving on it.

cameron
4th February 2006, 05:06 PM
Hey Tony,
Before you use a good (more expensive) shower heat exchanger (save that for the shower!) you might like to go to the Helton website and suss out their much smaller, much cheaper, specifically designed for biofuels heat exchanger.

http://www.helton.com.au/biofuel.htm

As I said before I can't comment on them yet myself as I don't know anyone using one but I am going to trial one on my 300tdi defender.

Cheers,
Cameron

Roy
11th February 2016, 06:54 PM
Hi Tony,

I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my '93 TDI Defender. I see you made your post a number of years ago - do you have any advice for me?

A mate converted his truck (not a Landrover) using a kit from ATG:http://www.diesel-therm.com/vegetable-oil-kit.htm

Is anyone familiar with them?

Cheers,

Tim

Roy
11th February 2016, 06:57 PM
Hi Tony,

I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my '93 TDI Defender. I see you made your post a number of years ago - do you have any advice for me?

A mate converted his truck (not a Landrover) using a kit from ATG:http://www.diesel-therm.com/vegetable-oil-kit.htm

Is anyone familiar with them?

Cheers,

Tim