PDA

View Full Version : Energy from human waste, worthwhile idea for use as fuel?

Roverlord off road spares
9th August 2017, 08:38 PM
Fact of life we all poo, but it is an alternative fuel source for burning. Recycling human poo BBQ fuel, , it could fire furnaces. Pulling billy steam train in the Dandenongs could run on it instead of coal
We churn out tons of this stuff everyday.

https://www.facebook.com/NowThisFuture/videos/1684766528231187/

NavyDiver
9th August 2017, 09:35 PM
Bill Gates is on it
Omni Processor - Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omni_Processor)

cuppabillytea
9th August 2017, 10:40 PM
The concept is not new. I remember talk of capping disused refuse tips to capture Methane, ( a greenhouse gas ) long before Climate change was heard of.
Incidentally, I also remember talk of Hydrogen being the most likely replacement for Fossil Fuels, ahead of Electricity. That was back in the Seventies, when fuel prices were getting out of control. The main problem then was one of storage. A problem which might soon be solved.

donh54
10th August 2017, 09:50 AM
Country folk in India have been doing it for years, even running motorbikes on it.
Do a search for "gubar" gas generators. The average family can produce enough gas to cover their own cooking needs, and more if you have a couple of domestic animals.

PAT303
10th August 2017, 04:29 PM
My wife is doing one of those detox diets at the moment,I'm waking up at night fearing for my life as disaster is a random spark away :firedevil: Pat

ozscott
10th August 2017, 08:06 PM
I have a mate on a so called detox...very strange...how eggs and chicken is detoxing is well beyond me. Detoxing is heaps of greens, coffee, white tea, beans, and giving up meat and dairy.

Cheers

cuppabillytea
10th August 2017, 11:15 PM
I have a mate on a so called detox...very strange...how eggs and chicken is detoxing is well beyond me. Detoxing is heaps of greens, coffee, white tea, beans, and giving up meat and dairy.

Cheers
Yes but is he producing the gas, or is that a given?

donh54
11th August 2017, 09:10 AM

Cheers

I thought a "real" detox was not putting in your gob anything with ingredients your grandmother wouldn't recognise!

ozscott
11th August 2017, 09:16 AM
Don would be best if you had a Okinawan or Greek grandmother...

Cheers

Dorian
11th August 2017, 11:56 AM
The concept is not new. I remember talk of capping disused refuse tips to capture Methane, ( a greenhouse gas ) long before Climate change was heard of.

There are at least 1/2 a dozen sites doing this in SEQ and, and have been operating for 5-6 years. A lot of pig farmers do it with their effluent dams and I'm pretty sure a couple of councils around here are already generating electricity from the sewage plant gases.

Eevo
11th August 2017, 12:05 PM
sounds like a **** idea

cuppabillytea
11th August 2017, 12:32 PM
There are at least 1/2 a dozen sites doing this in SEQ and, and have been operating for 5-6 years. A lot of pig farmers do it with their effluent dams and I'm pretty sure a couple of councils around here are already generating electricity from the sewage plant gases.

There you go. Definitely not new then.

bee utey
11th August 2017, 12:38 PM

A SA local brick works was burning gas piped from the next door capped landfill as far back as the 1980's. Piggeries can meet quite a lot of their energy needs from poo digesters while reducing the smell associated with their operations. Sewage works can use their gas as well as floating solar panel sets on their final holding dams to keep the panels cooler and reduce evaporation.

cuppabillytea
11th August 2017, 12:44 PM
A SA local brick works was burning gas piped from the next door capped landfill as far back as the 1980's. Piggeries can meet quite a lot of their energy needs from poo digesters while reducing the smell associated with their operations. Sewage works can use their gas as well as floating solar panel sets on their final holding dams to keep the panels cooler and reduce evaporation.

I always Knew floaters weren't totally useless. [thumbsupbig]

Toxic_Avenger
11th August 2017, 05:09 PM
I visited a meat processing facility yesterday. They use a biogas generator to digest the blood from their operations into usable fuel for their boilers. Blood from the knock box and the rest that is collected goes to a bacteria digester.
This gas product is used (amongst other things) to make their blood and bone product (dehydrated blood) with almost 100% efficiency. Only time they use LPG is to get the boiler up to temp, I'm told.

I found this to be an interesting documentary on the topic.
NYC sewer documentary- Vice (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiNiBZiR_uA)
If you can't handle the S word, don't click the link. I personally found it to be a very interesting short docco...

DiscoMick
15th August 2017, 09:35 AM
Poo-powered car hits the streets of Brisbane (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/poopowered-car-hits-the-streets-of-brisbane-20170811-gxu4pi.html)

Hall
15th August 2017, 05:56 PM
So finally we may have a proper reason for the term poo -trol [bigwhistle] Might let my son in on this as he owns one. Next I reckon that would be needed is a portable poo processor and a decent curry. Would encourage ride sharing as any passenger would be a potential fuel source. Like to see a fuel consumption report. 100k`s per ??? [bighmmm]
Cheers Hall

Toxic_Avenger
15th August 2017, 06:22 PM
mmmmm Vindaloo.

DiscoMick
15th August 2017, 07:25 PM
Mmmmmn buttered chicken!