PDA

View Full Version : Sunbeam Tiger V8

Baggy
13th October 2017, 11:43 PM
Hi All,

I was looking for a photo of the rear of my 81 2 door classic as its a rare auto with an automatic badge on rear tailgate to post on the
Classic Rangie Forum.

Anyway ... I came across these photo's I'd taken of a rare original Sunbeam Tiger V8 that happened to be behind my mates factory
quite a few years ago now ..... though some may enjoy these photo's.

Its an original mint condition with the 260 CU (4.3L) Ford V8 engine ....in there final year of production they fitted a 289 (4.7L) ford V8.

Worth a lot back them and I'd suppose even more now .....:D

The kicker is that the rear LH Side bank of spark plugs are accessed via a pull down inspection cover in the passenger side of cab ... it came
with a special factory spark plug remover.

I asked the owner what it was like to drive .... he remarked even when standing its dangerous to drive :firedevil:

Cheers,

Baggy

Ancient Mariner
14th October 2017, 06:46 AM
Hi All,

I was looking for a photo of the rear of my 81 2 door classic as its a rare auto with an automatic badge on rear tailgate to post on the
Classic Rangie Forum.

Anyway ... I came across these photo's I'd taken of a rare original Sunbeam Tiger V8 that happened to be behind my mates factory
quite a few years ago now ..... though some may enjoy these photo's.

Its an original mint condition with the 260 CU (4.3L) Ford V8 engine ....in there final year of production they fitted a 289 (4.7L) ford V8.

Worth a lot back them and I'd suppose even more now .....:D

The kicker is that the rear LH Side bank of spark plugs are accessed via a pull down inspection cover in the passenger side of cab ... it came
with a special factory spark plug remover.

I asked the owner what it was like to drive .... he remarked even when standing its dangerous to drive :firedevil:

Cheers,

Baggy Steering on the right brake booster on the left, yep could be dangerous:wheelchair:

Pickles2
14th October 2017, 07:00 AM
Looks like a beautiful original example to me.
Pickles.

rangieman
14th October 2017, 07:15 AM
Noice [thumbsupbig] now for the cone of silence[bigwhistle]

p38arover
14th October 2017, 07:58 AM
I've always liked the Alpine and Tiger. I did consider spending the money I did on the L322 on an Alpine instead. I could afford one of them. Not so a Tiger which fetch over $100,000 in Oz.

Having owned several Hillmans and Sunbeams, I am familiar with the engines and gearboxes, etc., so owning an Alpine would not cause any worries about unfamiliarity.

p38arover
16th October 2017, 11:40 AM
Me, in a Sunbeam Alpine in Washington (State). I have "known" the owner for many years through the Hillman Yahoo list. He also owns Hillmans.

rick130
17th October 2017, 10:27 AM
I have "known" the owner for many years

]

[emoji33]

As in the biblical sense Ron!!??

Not that there's anything wrong with that, and it's none of my business but I must say you're wife is a very tolerant woman...

[emoji1]

Bigbjorn
17th October 2017, 01:36 PM
I asked the owner what it was like to drive .... he remarked even when standing its dangerous to drive

The Allard J2 replica I used to have was like that. My mates reckoned it would change ends without being told. Frightened hell out of most people who drove it except for a well known speedway midget pilot who was regarded as half-mad to start with. I persevered with it as a second car (play car) for nearly two years before giving up and finding a wood duck to buy it. Probably worth a squillion nowadays.

p38arover
17th October 2017, 02:32 PM
[emoji33]

As in the biblical sense Ron!!??

Not that there's anything wrong with that, and it's none of my business but I must say you're wife is a very tolerant woman...

[emoji1]

Not in that way. :D

I can't say I am a wife (you're wife above). [bigwhistle]

Bigbjorn
17th October 2017, 03:06 PM
Not in that way. :D

I can't say I am a wife (you're wife above). [bigwhistle]

Perhaps if he moves from Washington to Utah you could marry him and have two wives.

Baggy
23rd October 2017, 05:17 PM
Bigbjorn - Googled Allard 32 replica and I can imagine like the tiger light car .. BIG engine ... skinny wheels is a recipe to scare the S*** out of you.

Ron - They are such a lovely style and even light blue they are a head turner .... BTW your not parked in front of your mates house by any chance :)

Finally - I did some work for a customer (commercial fit outs) and on my 1st meeting with the client I noticed all these pictures of Jaguar cars on the walls
I asked who was the jag enthusiast and a gentleman (distinguished like Ron) happen to walk in the office with overalls - him she replied.

Whats your favorite I asked and he motioned me to follow him through the ware house .... where there was 4 vehicles under covers.

I'm only hazarding a guess on years but ......

Pulled the first off was a 1920s 2 door roadster (immaculate) only 2 in the world.

Pulled of the second was a 1930's XK type roadster (immaculate)

Pulled off the third E Type Jag rated the best in Oz

Pulled off the fourth and a newer 90's Jag coupe.

Do you drive them I asked..... yes he replied often ... funnily enough I've been driving the E Type around and hadn't realized the insurance had lapsed.

Unfortunately we're all getting closer to God ..... with each year

Cheers

Baggy

p38arover
23rd October 2017, 06:28 PM
Ron - They are such a lovely style and even light blue they are a head turner .... BTW your not parked in front of your mates house by any chance :)

[bigsmile] No, it was a country club in Washington state.

Bigbjorn
23rd October 2017, 08:54 PM
Bigbjorn - Googled Allard 32 replica and I can imagine like the tiger light car .. BIG engine ... skinny wheels is a recipe to scare the S*** out of you.

Mine was built by a speedway competitor and car builder in his Spring Hill workshop about 1960. I went there in 1962 to look at a midget he wanted to sell. The midget was a POS but the replica was sitting there and looked pretty good to a 21 y.o. addicted to fast sports cars. So we did a deal and the Allard replica went home with me. It had a 5+ litre much modified GMC truck engine and a Mk. 5 Jaguar gearbox. It could chew up and spit out these boxes in short time I found out. I persevered with it for about two years and decided to sell it before it killed someone and preferably not me. That split beam axle front suspension was a bloody nightmare. Into a fast corner and it produced bad understeer which would change to full on oversteer as the outside wheel tucked under. The builder built it with what he had laying around.

cripesamighty
23rd October 2017, 10:53 PM
Bigbjorn, that car sounds downright, bloody scary!

Bigbjorn
24th October 2017, 10:12 AM
Bigbjorn, that car sounds downright, bloody scary!

Yes, it frightened everyone who drove it other than Len Brock who was bloody mad anyway. I was up at a private practice day at Lowood crewing for a mate and let Brockie take it around the circuit. He did a couple of slow laps then let rip. He drove it like a dirt track car powersliding the corners. He told me "that's the way to drive that beast". I replied "Lenny, it's supposed to be a road car and you can't drive like that on the public roads". He severely scrubbed a near new set of tyres in about seven laps. It did have good brakes, though.