PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for improving the Perentie 110 heater output?

Negative Phil
7th November 2017, 08:32 AM
Hello all. I'm happy to say that I bought a 1989 Perentie 110 FFR this past summer. I love it.

I'm unhappy to say that winter just arrived in Canada, and the stock heater was likely not designed with Canadian winters in mind.

I would appreciate any thoughts on how to make it bearable in the cab. The heater wasn't working when I purchased the truck, and I just spent $1300 to get it operational. I must say, I was disappointed at the amount of heat that a supposedly functioning heating system output. It feels like just one more draft in the cab.

Are there upgrades to the stock heating system?

Would a it be better to purchase a 12v / 25amp heater and wire it into the fuse box? Has anyone done this?

Like I said, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

p38arover
7th November 2017, 11:02 AM
I nearly spat my tea all over my keyboard - expecting a Perentie heater to work! [biggrin]

I'm unhappy to say that winter just arrived in Canada, and the stock heater was likely not designed with Canadian winters in mind.

The heaters aren't designed for Australian winters, either. On my 110 County. the heater worked in summer.

You might need one of these:

Phil B
7th November 2017, 11:59 AM
The 4bd1 in the Perentie runs cold in winter and thus the heater is inefficient
A radiator muff will improve this by increasing temps so that the water is hot

Mick_Marsh
7th November 2017, 12:22 PM
I'm with you, Phil. I reckon a heater element would be the way to go.

I wonder if you could install heated seats?

Oh, and this may help:
Defender Wolf RAD HAZ / Thermal Insulation kit?? (http://remlr.com/forum/index.php?topic=2200.msg52687#new)

SSmith
8th November 2017, 12:07 AM
a 1989 Perentie 110 FFR

In service, the FFRs had a roll down blind between the cab and the radio area (does yours still have it?), these were often used to improve the heater on cold days..... altho still probably not going to cut it in Canadian winter, it is one step closer.

Negative Phil
10th November 2017, 03:44 AM
Thank you, guys. The radiator muffler and the thermal insulation kit are great ideas. I'm also going to be looking into making use of the power distribution box and those extra batteries. If it's all working properly, I will be able to convert that power and plug a heater into it. I just haven't figured out how I'm going to do that yet.

Mick - I do have the roll-down blind between the cab and radio area. And you're right, it does help quite a bit. Thanks.

Phil.

Negative Phil
10th November 2017, 03:45 AM
doh! that was Simon who mentioned the roll-down blind. Thanks, Simon.

cjc_td5
10th November 2017, 08:54 AM
Run a caravan diesel powered heater mounted say in the seat box??

87County
10th November 2017, 09:54 AM
doh! that was Simon who mentioned the roll-down blind. Thanks, Simon.

I find you can leave a sheet of corflute (real estate agent sign) over 3/4 of the front of the radiator all winter. :)

It slots down and is supported in position.

BadCo.
11th November 2017, 09:13 AM
A couple of ideas, some I have been toying with..

Change the engine fan to viscous or electric so the engine actually gets warm in winter.
Put a turbo on too, that will warm the engine up quicker :D
Also as others have said rad muff, insulation, make the drivers compartment smaller.
I believe the heater ducting could probably be improved
Aaand lastly, uprated heater core from Allisport.

101RRS
11th November 2017, 11:25 AM
Run a caravan diesel powered heater mounted say in the seat box??

Yep something like this
4KW 12V Diesel Parking Heater cabin Air Heater 0.5L/H Boats Vans Easy installing | eBay (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4KW-12V-Diesel-Parking-Heater-cabin-Air-Heater-0-5L-H-Boats-Vans-Easy-installing/182842498899?hash=item2a92431f53:g:0Y4AAOSwIFtZ6Vc A)

SSmith
11th November 2017, 11:58 AM
A couple of ideas, some I have been toying with..

Put a turbo on too, that will warm the engine up quicker :D

Aslo comes with a very enjoyable list of side effects [emoji41]

BadCo.
11th November 2017, 03:20 PM
Aslo comes with a very enjoyable list of side effects [emoji41]Indeed it does!

Sand and Gravel
22nd December 2017, 10:55 AM
I'm really curious how a Perentie ended up in Canada. There must be a story there.

Red90
23rd December 2017, 05:11 AM
I'm really curious how a Perentie ended up in Canada. There must be a story there.

It is easy to import trucks to Canada. I have an Australian truck.

Red90
23rd December 2017, 05:14 AM
I use the largest heater that Princess Auto sells in my trucks. It puts out more heat than is ever needed. Warm and cozy at -40.

Land Rover Defender Heater Upgrade (http://red90.ca/rovers/Heater/)

It is a little more work with a LHD but it fits with the 4BD1.

Mick_Marsh
23rd December 2017, 09:56 AM
Doesn't surprise me at all. Many have left our shores for countries such as America, Europe, UK and NZ. What surprises me is that some have remained in Australia.