PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a 2014 model...looking for some tips

VCRRSPORT
26th February 2018, 04:43 PM
Hi - i am new to this forum, and to Land Rover ownership. Actually, this is my first car with any real offroad capability so am looking forward to some adventures. To start I am looking to fit some accessories - roof racks and side steps. The original equipment is horrendously expensive so was curious to know what other people have used as aftermarket options. There seem to be plenty of options for running boards/side steps. Are they any good - are there any to avoid?

Look forward to receiving your tips.

Cheers

Gregz
28th February 2018, 08:54 AM
Hi,
for roof racks, I ended up going with the OEM rails. then bought Thule crossbars. I looked at some of the ones on ebay - some roof racks are the fixed point type which means you cannot move them along the length of the car.... might be ok for you, but did not suit me. Other rail - types do not have the replacement strip that goes the length of the car, meaning that you have to cut the holes in the original strip yourself for the brackets to poke out. (you also have to do this for the fixed point cross bars) . Also means you can't then remove the rails and put the original (no hole) strips back on, without it looking a bit poor. With the Thule cross-bars I also was able to then get matching bike racks. Still not cheap, but cheaper the OEM cross bars and bike racks.
Regarding side steps i am still looking at that area myself - if you come up with a good solution let us know [smilebigeye]

powella
13th March 2018, 07:40 AM
Hi,
I purchased some sides steps off eBay... they fit aok, don’t look quite as nice as the OEM ones, but they also were a lot cheaper... $530 from Aussie auto parts.. I’m happy as they now have a mark or two on them from a rock encounter down in Tasmania(getting out of some dunes was tight and I misjudged it).

They also keep the bottoms of the doors a bit cleaner, and make it easier for the missus to hop in.

The brackets look look OEM in design, it’s just the tread and actual step which isn’t quite as nice.

They are a little challenging to fit, took the best part of a day, and did require a small amount of plastic trim cutting. I did take my time though.

cheers,
AP

Hi - i am new to this forum, and to Land Rover ownership. Actually, this is my first car with any real offroad capability so am looking forward to some adventures. To start I am looking to fit some accessories - roof racks and side steps. The original equipment is horrendously expensive so was curious to know what other people have used as aftermarket options. There seem to be plenty of options for running boards/side steps. Are they any good - are there any to avoid?

Look forward to receiving your tips.

Cheers

Burble
13th March 2018, 07:24 PM
I'd like some rock sliders too. Green Oval Experience said they are coming but hasn't been any activity for a long time.