PDA

View Full Version : What is replacing police Fords, Holdens and Toyotas?

Mick_Marsh
21st May 2018, 11:58 AM
NSW Police confirm BMW 530d and Chrysler SRT Core will replace Commodore and Falcon | Practical Motoring (https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-news/nsw-police-confirm-bmw-530d-and-chrysler-srt-core-will-replace-commodore-and-falcon/)

I'm thinking they should replace the Landcruisers with D5s

nick_e
21st May 2018, 12:35 PM
I have read that WA, QLD and VIC are looking at Kia Stinger GT's to replace the locally made pursuit cars currently in operation.

Homestar
21st May 2018, 01:23 PM
Vic are going with BMW 530D as well.

Victoria Police chooses BMW - motoring.com.au (https://www.motoring.com.au/victoria-police-chooses-bmw-109065/)

nick_e
21st May 2018, 01:39 PM
$120k diesel pursuit cars, what will they think of next! haha

Arch
21st May 2018, 01:50 PM
I saw another report that suggested the BMW 530d Authority Pack was valued at $60k. The police spokesperson expected to be able to sell the BMWs for about that much when it was time to move them on.

Geedublya
21st May 2018, 02:00 PM
I saw a Volvo XC60 in HWP colours at Wyong (NSW) yesterday.

Mick_Marsh
21st May 2018, 02:44 PM
I saw a Volvo XC60 in HWP colours at Wyong (NSW) yesterday.
Probably one of the vehicles being evaluated.

Mick_Marsh
21st May 2018, 02:47 PM
$120k diesel pursuit cars, what will they think of next! haha
"V8 Supercars" being replaced with "Diesel Supercars".
The ethanol fuel being replaced with used fish and chip shop oil.

trout1105
21st May 2018, 03:02 PM
I'm thinking they should replace the Landcruisers with D5s[/QUOTE]

How are they going to put the paddy wagon cage onto the back of a D5?

Mick_Marsh
21st May 2018, 03:12 PM

7 seater with cargo barrier.

Bigbjorn
21st May 2018, 04:42 PM

How are they going to put the paddy wagon cage onto the back of a D5?[/QUOTE]

Some stations here have Hyundai vans.

DeanoH
21st May 2018, 06:22 PM

Won't work. The crooks will riot and refuse to get in. The D5's so FUGLY they wouldn't be seen arrested in one :)

Seriously, I followed one down the highway yesterday for my first decent look and couldn't believe how absolutely ****ing ugly it was. My yardstick for ugly 4WD used to be a toss up between Ssangyong Musso and Suburu Tribeca but the D5 trumps these two, it's got to be a 'lay down misere' for the fugliest 4WD of all time. :(

Deano :)

AK83
21st May 2018, 06:53 PM
..... My yardstick for ugly 4WD used to be a toss up between Ssangyong Musso and Suburu Tribeca but the D5 trumps these two, it's got to be a 'lay down misere' for the fugliest 4WD of all time. :(

Even worse than the old model Ssanyong Korando (~ early 2000's) ?!!??

D5(while not pretty, and not a fan!) is a 'work of art' compared to that old dog.

rangieman
21st May 2018, 07:03 PM
Won't work. The crooks will riot and refuse to get in. The D5's so FUGLY they wouldn't be seen arrested in one :)

Seriously, I followed one down the highway yesterday for my first decent look and couldn't believe how absolutely ****ing ugly it was. My yardstick for ugly 4WD used to be a toss up between Ssangyong Musso and Suburu Tribeca but the D5 trumps these two, it's got to be a 'lay down misere' for the fugliest 4WD of all time. :(

Jeez don`t hold back :Rolling:

Bigbjorn
21st May 2018, 07:05 PM

How are they going to put the paddy wagon cage onto the back of a D5?[/QUOTE]

Some Queensland stations are using Hyundai vans.

scarry
21st May 2018, 07:55 PM
"V8 Supercars" being replaced with "Diesel Supercars".

Super utes,they already have them.

Grumbles
22nd May 2018, 07:16 AM
Gee wiz I don't know what is wrong with you guys. I rate the Ssangyong Musso, Ssangyong Korando, the first of the Mahindra Pik-Ups and even the Hyundai Terracan to be some of the worlds best and most desirable car designs. I haven't seen a D5 yet.

Bigbjorn
22nd May 2018, 07:20 AM
At least with the Cambridge Blue F100's three big fat bun faced NSW coppers could fit across the bench seat. Try that with a Thai or Chinese rice grinder.

DiscoMick
22nd May 2018, 08:00 AM
English police use Discos no problems.
Around here it seems to be Camrys and Hyundais.

Bigbjorn
22nd May 2018, 08:23 AM
Gee wiz I don't know what is wrong with you guys. I rate the Ssangyong Musso, Ssangyong Korando, the first of the Mahindra Pik-Ups and even the Hyundai Terracan to be some of the worlds best and most desirable car designs. I haven't seen a D5 yet.

A mate sunk his Toyota hardtop at the Wellington Point boat ramp. He was cruising the auctions looking for another. He 'phoned me to tell he had bought a Musso. I asked him if it was pink.

Bagoo76
24th May 2018, 10:33 AM
NSW Police confirm BMW 530d and Chrysler SRT Core will replace Commodore and Falcon | Practical Motoring (https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-news/nsw-police-confirm-bmw-530d-and-chrysler-srt-core-will-replace-commodore-and-falcon/)

Confirmed that the 4x4s will be replaced with 4x4 Holden Colorado’s and Div wagons with the Colorado 2x4

Shoogs
24th May 2018, 12:40 PM
On the Brand HWY and Great Northern of late I have seen a few Klugers and Hyundai Sonatas, especially trailing the 1% Bikies...

mrs
24th May 2018, 02:05 PM
One reason apparently that they are using the BMW is that it is used by so many police forces that they can be ordered with mounting and wiring for most of their gear

cuppabillytea
24th May 2018, 07:25 PM
Let's not forget that the cops don't pay tax on their cars so can sell them for as much as they payed if they time it right.

scarry
25th May 2018, 11:25 AM
Let's not forget that the cops don't pay tax on their cars so can sell them for as much as they payed if they time it right.

Not only that,they also get a massive discount on the best prices the general public pay.

So all in all,they do well out of them as do most govt departments.

Bigbjorn
25th May 2018, 11:42 AM
Not only that,they also get a massive discount on the best prices the general public pay.

So all in all,they do well out of them as do most govt departments.

Not so good a deal as some years ago when 27.5% sales tax applied to private purchases. They had to keep them for 2 years or the tax was applicable. Certain pensioners like TPI's and people receiving Mobility Allowance also could buy tax free and had to keep for 2 years.

scarry
25th May 2018, 01:07 PM
Not so good a deal as some years ago when 27.5% sales tax applied to private purchases. They had to keep them for 2 years or the tax was applicable. Certain pensioners like TPI's and people receiving Mobility Allowance also could buy tax free and had to keep for 2 years.

Didn't primary producers also qualify for some kind of sales tax discount?Or maybe that was just Diesel.

Bigbjorn
25th May 2018, 02:45 PM
Didn't primary producers also qualify for some kind of sales tax discount?Or maybe that was just Diesel.

Yes, for 4WD vehicles capacity over 1 tonne. So a 1 ton Land Rover qualified. The catch was that cockies (bless their little grasping hearts) thought they were automatically sales tax exempt because they were primary producers. All applications for exemption had to go to the ATO for determination so a wise dealer did not deliver unless the tax was paid or the exemption had been approved. The ATO looked at sources of income and if "the bulk of the applicant's income was from primary production" then the application would be approved. Of course a lot of cockies had lawyered and acoountanted up and had complex structures of companies and trusts which the ATO needed to unravel. Could take some time.

Pickles2
25th May 2018, 04:37 PM
I remember that.
When I was working in the Bank in the sixties/seventies, there was a car nut (like me!) working with me who took advantage of this.
He first had a VC Valiant, sold to buy an XT GT Falcon, sold to buy a Phase 11 GTHO,...made money on all of them!
Pickles.

scarry
25th May 2018, 05:57 PM
I remember that.
When I was working in the Bank in the sixties/seventies, there was a car nut (like me!) working with me who took advantage of this.
He first had a VC Valiant, sold to buy an XT GT Falcon, sold to buy a Phase 11 GTHO,...made money on all of them!
Pickles.

Now if he had held onto that last one,for that matter any of them,he would be a happy camper today.[biggrin]

ozscott
25th May 2018, 07:03 PM
For paddy wagon type duties police in Qld prefer a Varley Pod. A specifically moulded GRP type unit with certain design and safety features not afforded by a cage.

Cheers

Pickles2
25th May 2018, 07:32 PM
Now if he had held onto that last one,for that matter any of them,he would be a happy camper today.[biggrin]
He definitely would, unfortunately to gain this tax concession, he had a very dramatic medical issue and as a consequence is no longer with us, but while He was on the planet, at the time, He made very good use of this available concession!
Pickles.

Bigbjorn
25th May 2018, 08:16 PM
I remember that.
Pickles.

When I worked at GM-H there were several staff members who received Mobility Allowance and a couple of TPI's who bought new cars at staff price free of sales tax and did this every two years. Made a profit each time. One of the guys getting Mobility Allowance had a stiff knee but managed to play competitive tennis fixtures. And don't get me revved up about TPI's. What a rort. "Totally and Permanently Incapacitated" but worked full time. Mobility allowance was paid to compensate recipients for the extra expense or difficulty or inability in using public transport.

Pickles2
26th May 2018, 06:27 AM
When I worked at GM-H there were several staff members who received Mobility Allowance and a couple of TPI's who bought new cars at staff price free of sales tax and did this every two years. Made a profit each time. One of the guys getting Mobility Allowance had a stiff knee but managed to play competitive tennis fixtures. And don't get me revved up about TPI's. What a rort. "Totally and Permanently Incapacitated" but worked full time. Mobility allowance was paid to compensate recipients for the extra expense or difficulty or inability in using public transport.
Fair comment, for sure there's always plenty of rorts!
However, the guy I knew had very serious mobility issue, (bad limp) & was also subject to seizures, fits etc if He didn't take his medication,...He had a fit in the office one day, sitting next to me, just started shaking etc, tongue went blue, fell out of his chair,.......because he had forgotten to take his medication.
We always wondered what the situation would be if he had this situation whilst driving his XT, or the Phase 11 etc!!
He is no longer around, but I reckon there's a very good possibility that the cars would be.
It was a long time ago!
Pickles.