PDA

View Full Version : Lube Door Handles

PerthDisco
27th July 2018, 09:14 AM
My door handles sounding dry / squeaky when opening them.

Always reluctant to hit the lube spray for the other dust and muck it then attracts but has anyone else made this a regular part of their maintenance?

Presume some silicone spray only.

Tombie
27th July 2018, 09:58 AM
No... no silicone spray!

Dry PTFE spray [emoji41]

crawal
28th July 2018, 10:00 PM
try lanolin spray in pump pack no solvents to corrode the grease
General Purpose (GP)Liquid Lanolin - Lanotec (http://www.lanotec.com.au/product/general-purpose-liquid-lanolin/)

works a treat

disco 300
28th July 2018, 10:09 PM
No... no silicone spray!

Dry PTFE spray [emoji41]

Curious. What's the problem with silicone spray ?

shack
28th July 2018, 11:33 PM
Curious. What's the problem with silicone spray ?I've found most silicone spray leaves a residue, attracts and collects dust,

I think you can work out the end result of that...

Lanolin whilst a decent lube for this job also attracts a lot of dust,I guess it may depend on where you live as well,

most of the door catches I've tried lanolin or silicone spray on now need cleaning with a solvent to get them working properly again

Nicky
29th July 2018, 09:17 AM
I've found most silicone spray leaves a residue, attracts and collects dust,

I think you can work out the end result of that...

Lanolin whilst a decent lube for this job also attracts a lot of dust,I guess it may depend on where you live as well,

most of the door catches I've tried lanolin or silicone spray on now need cleaning with a solvent to get them working properly again

Locksmiths recommend "Inox"

ATH
29th July 2018, 06:20 PM
I'd be wary of any oil based spray as the dust it'll attract will make things very sticky in back road conditions. PTFE would seem to be the answer.
AlanH.

DAMINK
29th July 2018, 06:33 PM
Most of my doors, locks, hinges and other moving parts get a regular dose of mud to lubricate.
Not sure its "the done thing" but it is what it is. Sometimes even get water to "wash it all down" sort of thing.

Gotta love land rovers.

Celtoid
2nd August 2018, 07:57 AM
Locksmiths recommend "Inox"

Inox is a brand so they make several products. Bunning apparently stock their products so shouldn't be too hard to read the can or ask the staff to figure out which product is best suited from the Inox range.

I get a sticky fuel cap cover from time to time. Was friggin scary the first time it happened....in a rush, bingo fuel and can't get the cover to release. I was recommended and use a graphite spray because it doesn't attract dirt. Works a treat.

Funnily enough I've never actually looked at the product as it's always injected via the applicator nozzle but I suspect it may stain upholstery or clothes.

Cheers,

Kev.