PDA

View Full Version : Daughter's PB Challenger motor blew up.

PhilipA
2nd August 2018, 03:01 PM
Does anyone know of a problem with Challenger or Triton motors of recent models.
I cannot find anything of note in Google.
The car has done about 45KK and is 3?years old and still under warranty.
It has been serviced by the book.
It sounds like a piston has blown from the little info I have. Still at the Wollongong dealer awaiting review from Mitsubishi AFAIK.

Regards Philip A

rick130
2nd August 2018, 05:54 PM
Diesel, Philip?

PhilipA
2nd August 2018, 07:49 PM
AFAIK , they are all diesel.
So Yes.
Its the newish 2.5 diesel same as Triton..
Regards Philip A

Grumbles
2nd August 2018, 08:07 PM
The Mitsi 2.5 diesel engine is known to over heat with head gasket issues.

See about half way down on the page below.

AustralianCar.Reviews: #1 for Reviews and Used Car Valuations (http://australiancar.reviews/reviews.php#!content=recalls&make=Mitsubishi&model=Triton&gen=685)

justinc
2nd August 2018, 08:28 PM
The last time a challenger blew up, it took 7 astronauts with it...😢😢😢.

Hopefully warranty covers it Phillip, with these highly strung CRD engines anything is possible...

Sivvy130
2nd August 2018, 11:22 PM
When I worked for Mitsubishi for a period there a lot of the 4D56 engines suffered from overheating/ drama due to a machining issue from factory.

The engines themselves were rather sturdy internally. Can’t say the same about the turbos or injectors though. They don’t like lack of oil changes and are quite a carbon producing monster....

Well priced but you’ll be caught out every third service for major as I’m sure you know [emoji6]

PhilipA
5th August 2018, 12:43 PM
Latest I have from non mechanical SIL is that the dealership claims the timing belt was "shredded".

They apparently sent the head off to be machined but were unhappy with the result and were sourcing a new head.

I would have thought the pistons would be damaged by valve strike if the camshaft stopped.
Regards Philip A

rick130
5th August 2018, 03:24 PM
Latest I have from non mechanical SIL is that the dealership claims the timing belt was "shredded".

They apparently sent the head off to be machined but were unhappy with the result and were sourcing a new head.

I would have thought the pistons would be damaged by valve strike if the camshaft stopped.
Regards Philip ATdi's would only suffer some small marks on the squish band, but they had push rods that would act like a fuse and bend too.
Or rockers that would break.