PDA

View Full Version : Box Trailer

alexcd
1st April 2006, 10:49 AM
Need some advice on buying a box trailer.
I need a 6x4 or 7x4 box trailer with a cage for work, taking small amounts of rubbish to the tip etc, but i also want a trailer thats suitiable for camping trips. I dont plan on using it for hard of road, but mainly dirt roads in Victoria and a little in the high country.
Would a 6x4 standard box trailer with off road tyres be ok or do i need some thing more heavy duty.
I'm on a tight budget ($1000) and don't mind a second hand on that i can slightly mod.

CraigE
1st April 2006, 11:58 AM
Bugger, I sold my 6'6" x 5' off road trailer a couple of months ago to friend for $800. Really heavy duty off road. To replace would cost in excess of $2000. I know I went and priced one when I bought my tandem 8 x 6. Sold it way too cheap.

MickG
1st April 2006, 01:54 PM
I have a 2100 x 1200 (which i believe is a 7x4) for sale but i'm in Qld. It has a 50 litre sealed water tank on each wheel arch (100 litres in total), lockable box at the front, leaf sprung (was going to do a spring over- I think they call it - mount the axles on top of the spring - to give it more height) has removable ladder racks and I have put in a 12mm ply floor for durability.

I was going to turn this into an off road trailer for myself but have ended up modifying my car instead - was looking for $1000. Can take pics if you interested and can get it to you

Mick

JDNSW
1st April 2006, 05:51 PM
1. A conventional on-road box trailer will stand up to moderate offroad use provided it is one of the better made ones and provided it is not overloaded.

2. Unbraked trailers are limited to an all up weight of 750kg, but going from an unbraked to a braked trailer is the big step in both initial and ongoing costs - for example in NSW at least with brakes it needs annual inspection and costs more to register, and with an unbraked trailer tyres last forever if not damaged, whereas wear starts when you fit brakes.

3. Again, if not overloaded, conventional wheels and tyres are perfectly OK off road. In fact the only reason for having offroad tyres or wheels on a trailer is for commonality with the towing vehicle. Without this you really need to carry a spare for the trailer if you are going any distance from home.

4. Decent second hand box trailers seem to sell for almost as much as new ones - not surprising really, since they usually get little use and if looked after will be as good as a new one, even if not quite as pretty.

I have a 6x4 ordinary box trailer that I bought new fifteen years ago. It has seen quite heavy highway use, particularly when I was moving up from Melbourne, and quite a bit of off road use. Only problems I have ever had with it have been tyres and lights (partly from backing into things) and wheelbearings that I attribute to deep wading - until the recent drought you often had to wade to get to my house. A year ago I adapted it to Landrover hubs so I did not need to carry a spare. For the last twelve years it has had a removeable frame that takes a modified Landrover canvas which became available when I fitted a new one to my 2a.

Disco300Tdi
2nd April 2006, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by MickG
I have a 2100 x 1200 (which i believe is a 7x4) for sale but i'm in Qld. It has a 50 litre sealed water tank on each wheel arch (100 litres in total), lockable box at the front, leaf sprung (was going to do a spring over- I think they call it - mount the axles on top of the spring - to give it more height) has removable ladder racks and I have put in a 12mm ply floor for durability.

I was going to turn this into an off road trailer for myself but have ended up modifying my car instead - was looking for $1000. Can take pics if you interested and can get it to you

Mick

You mean mount the axle under the spring for more height https://www.aulro.com/afvb/

MickG
3rd April 2006, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by 84RR+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(84RR)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-MickG

Mick

You mean mount the axle under the spring for more height https://www.aulro.com/afvb/[/b][/quote]

Yes, well spotted :oops: :oops:

George130
3rd April 2006, 09:23 AM
If you are quick enough you can get some of the older box trailers cheap. I got my 7x5 for $100. It was supposed to be a 6x4 but the guy droped his excavator on it so found me another as replacement.

alexcd
3rd April 2006, 09:54 AM
thanks Edd, i think i might try to get a cheep one and do it up a bit.

Is it hard to lift a trailer to fit bigger tyres on?

JDNSW
3rd April 2006, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by alexcd
thanks Edd, i think i might try to get a cheep one and do it up a bit.

Is it hard to lift a trailer to fit bigger tyres on?

Not usually (talking about light single axle trailers). Depending on mudguard clearance you may have to put the axle under the springs rather than on top of them, and hitch height may become a problem.

George130
3rd April 2006, 06:06 PM
Mine hasn't been raised yet but I have been told it's not hard. Mine was changed from dual to single axel which was easy. It has 9 leef caravan suspension so soft and tows easily. I still need to get land hubs befor I raise it.