PDA

View Full Version : Change spare tyre on the D5

DiscoTom
8th October 2018, 10:32 PM
Since my D5 has now done approx 30K, thought it was time to do a wheel rotate, balance & align.

thought I would take out the spare & get them to use this tyre in the rotate.

What a JOB, trying to rotate the buckle holding the wire rope and lowering the spare.

Question + has anyone run up some type of adaptor which can go on a drill so u can lower the tyre a lot easier. ????

Seem to remember here in Perth one of the 4WD shops came up with an adaption, for the D3 & D4, where u could
lower the spare, with a drill, from a fitting behind one of the rear road tyres.

Seems to make sense rather than taking out your camping gear from the back & then lifting the lid to get to the spare buckle.

Any thoughts. ????

Cheers Tom.

IndusD4
9th October 2018, 05:00 AM
I've not used a spare for rotation with the other tyres ever. The D4 was sold after nearly 7 years with an unused spare. I've had punctures but prefer to use a plug kit where possible.

WhiteD3
9th October 2018, 05:34 AM
With 12000k on the D5 I've yet to have the pleasure of a tyre change but if its anything like the D3 & 4 it will be a struggle.

Mac_and_Cheese
11th October 2018, 01:47 PM
Had to change two tyres on a recent trip up the Oodnadatta to Alice Springs. Can confirm its a royal pain in the arse. Not only having to empty the entire boot on the side of a dusty track to access the lowering mechanism, but then having to spend (what feels like) an age lowering the thing under the Central Australian sun. :thumbsdown:

I, for one, would welcome an easier/quicker way.

Tom