PDA

View Full Version : Disco 4 CV joint dead

Hoss
3rd November 2018, 03:49 PM
Howdy, holed up in Mansfield waiting for flat bed back to Torquay. Got a flat bed here from sheepyard flat after being towed back from zeka spur by the guys I was touring with.

Any rough estimates in what it’s going to cost to fix.

Frustrating as was we weren’t doing anything particularly hard when the dreaded bang of the CV joint interrupted a planned 4day adventure in the vic high country...

Any advice appreciated

Hoss
3rd November 2018, 03:51 PM
Can I get stronger cv joints installed for off road for example?

Hoss
3rd November 2018, 03:55 PM

Bugger[emoji35][emoji24][emoji30]

PerthDisco
3rd November 2018, 05:16 PM
Do you work in super extend mode a lot? Do you have Llams?

Hoss
3rd November 2018, 05:37 PM
No never

Graeme
4th November 2018, 05:49 AM
Front or rear? If rear, does your D4 have an e-diff? Rear CVs are bigger when an e-diff is fitted but can still be broken. If front, was it the RH? RH will pull apart at off-road height + full lock + heavy right boot.

discomatt69
4th November 2018, 06:55 AM
What exactly were you doing when it broke?
I have never broken a CV , touch wood NOW, but I never use full lock at full articulation and the skinny pedal at the same time. If at full lock or even close very little accelerator and I never steer left and right like a mad man to try and find traction, if its that slippery I have a winch and recovery gear.
Am very interested in what made it go and if it is a very weak unit or no offense but the nut behind the wheel

Hoss
4th November 2018, 08:04 AM
No offence taken. I drive conservatively. In fact, I was just climbing a reasonably steep, and slightly bumpy dry 4wd road. Not slipping. Going straight ahead. would describe the section as medium grade tops. So definitely not full lock, and not trying to find traction.

Can they wear over time or do they usually require the type of driving you describe to fail?

rick130
4th November 2018, 08:57 AM
It's an overload/fatigue failure, the overload/damage has been done in the past and it's finally let go.

Hoss
4th November 2018, 09:14 AM
Maybe so. I got the car with 40k on it (previous owner used it for city driving. Have done 60k since. Off road some of that time. Only time I can think where I might have over loaded it was a climb out of a river crossing in the vic high country in January this year. Slippery, heavily rutted, and steep, I reckon I might have put too much steering in. I remember thinking that was stupid- brain fade. Thought I’d dodged a bullet at the time. That might have done it I suppose. Paying the price 10 months later?

101RRS
4th November 2018, 09:42 AM
Like Hiluxes - the D3/D4/RRS are well know to have weak front CVs particular so when off road when height is up and steering near lock and a bit of power is needed - caution in the name of the game in those situations. Noting that unlike the Hilux, a D3 cannot be driven unless you go into Rock Crawl locking the transfer case.

Garry

Disco-tastic
4th November 2018, 09:48 AM
Can you fit the HD ediff rear shafts to the front?

ndrew
4th November 2018, 09:56 AM
Howdy, holed up in Mansfield waiting for flat bed back to Torquay. Got a flat bed here from sheepyard flat after being towed back from zeka spur by the guys I was touring with.

Any rough estimates in what it’s going to cost to fix.

Frustrating as was we weren’t doing anything particularly hard when the dreaded bang of the CV joint interrupted a planned 4day adventure in the vic high country...

Earlier in the year, in a DIY (damage it yourself) incident, I managed to bust a CV joint and went through the process of replacing it. I'd disengaged it from the hub to get the LCA out/in, and, in my inexperience, I didn't seat it properly when replacing it. Very proud of my work, I went for a drive and... POP! obliterated the housing. I reckon I'd dislocated the inner joint and tried to drive with it in that position. Anyway, I digress...

I contacted Solitaire parts (the Adelaide LR dealer) for a quote on a new drive shaft: about $900 for the part alone. Ouch! I can't imagine walking away from the dealer less than $1500 lighter if I asked them to do the job.

I jumped onto the Advanced Factors website, bought a GKN drive shaft (the mob who manufactures for Land Rover, apparently) delivered for about $350 in 5 days from the UK. Popped it in myself in about an hour. The only thing to be aware of is that you'll probably need a new hub nut (only a few bucks) to suit the newer-style driveshaft. It's really not a difficult job.

Advanced Factors also offer a small discount to Land Rover forum members: use "ADVLRF" at checkout. Worth a look mate, even if you're not going to do the job yourself – supply the parts to your mechanic and save a packet! Check out the Discovery 4 driveshafts page on their website here (https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/front-drive-shafts-cv-joints-and-boot-kits-1850-c.asp). I don't reckon I'd be bothering rebuilding the CV. Just replace the whole driveshaft and be done with it (and get the benefit of all new everything in the process).

Hope that helps. Good luck!

- Andrew

Hoss
4th November 2018, 10:16 AM
Great advice. Thanks Andrew.

PerthDisco
4th November 2018, 01:25 PM
ADVLRF

Earlier in the year, in a DIY (damage it yourself) incident, I managed to bust a CV joint.

- Andrew

I compliment you on the strength and courage to publicly admit a DIY incident. It’s a great step forward in the healing process.

Russrobe
4th November 2018, 04:02 PM
Like Hiluxes - the D3/D4/RRS are well know to have weak front CVs particular so when off road when height is up and steering near lock and a bit of power is needed - caution in the name of the game in those situations. Noting that unlike the Hilux, a D3 cannot be driven unless you go into Rock Crawl locking the transfer case.

Garry

Are they really weak cv's in D3/D4/RRS? I has watching a 4wd action video yesterday and a guy broke a CV on a 200 series (wasn't the first 200s i've watched snap either).. IMO that should read, all CV's are unpredictable, no matter what you drive and caution should be taken....

230,000 kms and mine are originals... Didn't have any dramas rock crawling during Gordons training at 190,000kms. . .

101RRS
4th November 2018, 05:13 PM
For sure any CV can break in the right conditions - if you do a search back over the years on here you will see it is not uncommon for the D3 etc - Youtube has the adventures of Black Betty the RRS and it had a a failure/s as well.

The common scenario is high lift, high steering angles and a bit of boot.

Russrobe
4th November 2018, 06:31 PM
True, true. I thought wheel bearings would be a part to go first with the type of driving i do (lots of corrugations and water crossings plus high km). So i bought a spare front and rear 2 years ago. Still sitting wrapped up in their boxes in the shed.

It seems impossible to predict life expectancy of either part.

Sven94
9th November 2018, 11:11 AM
hey I saw you being flat towed into Sheepyard on the weekend. Hope it works out.