PDA

View Full Version : Ball Joints - Unable to replace for L494

jtmesa
14th November 2018, 02:47 PM
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share some experience with my 2014 RRS SDV6.

I've just ticked over 260k km's so I'm expecting that a few wear and tear items will need replacing.

Did an oil change mid cycle(6month) and noticed that the lower front arm ball joint boots have opened up.

Being a high mileage vehicle i asked for the ball joints to be replace.... Except LR do not supply OEM ball joints by themselves. You have to buy the complete arm. [bigsad]

Warning - these items cost about 300-400 each so about 1k'ish for everything installed.

Gregz
14th November 2018, 03:38 PM
Hi jtmesa,
thanks for that info. I'm only about 10% of your kms so hopefully will be some time before I have to shell out for those. I am guessing you would have the highest km L494 on the forum. Have you had it since new? Has it been pretty much plain sailing with it up until the ball joints?

regards,
Greg

jtmesa
14th November 2018, 04:15 PM
Car was with father in law who traveled a lot for work.

Looking through car history, there was a minor oil leak(seal) under warranty. Apart from that nothing extraordinary.

Had timing belts, gearbox oil changes, etc as per usual servicing.

Graeme
14th November 2018, 05:46 PM
Is it that LRA doesn't supply the bushes here or has LR changed their mind? I would be checking UK suppliers.

Geedublya
14th November 2018, 06:11 PM
My research shows only arms are available.
Iíve replaced one set ( no. 3 on the diagram) to try and cure a rattle and will do the alloy one next

Homestar
14th November 2018, 06:19 PM
Not this one is it?

Ball Joint - Brookwells Land Rover Parts (http://www.brookwell.co.uk/products/RANGE_ROVER_SPORT_05-09/2009/Td8_3.6_Diesel/Suspension/Front_Lower_Suspension_Arm/Ball_Joint)

Graeme
14th November 2018, 06:26 PM
The 2012 Microcat that includes the MY13 L405 does not show the ball-joint as a replaceable part on either arm, only the bush in the other end.

I recently replaced the equivalent front arm on the RHS of my L322 that had rattled due to a loose ball-joint since I purchased the vehicle with only 19K kms.

loanrangie
14th November 2018, 06:32 PM
I had a look at Advance Factors site earlier and they only show complete arms, not badly priced either.

DazzaTD5
14th November 2018, 07:02 PM
IMHO....

If you buy a decent brand and buy a complete lower control arm, you will save yourself many hours...

as one such example.... U.S Rockauto can supply MOOG complete arms, better quality than allmakes

Graeme
14th November 2018, 07:07 PM
Be careful if buying a replacement upper arm as the replacement needs to be the same length as removed, ie standard length, 5mm shorter or 5mm longer!

jtmesa
14th November 2018, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback/info guys, much appreciated.