PDA

View Full Version : Removing Driver's side power window controller

RRSport101
29th November 2018, 05:37 PM
Hi all,

I recently bought a 2014 SDV8 HSE second hand. It has a little issue with the Start/Stop button going a bit sticky and the colour coming off. I bought a new one and now it looks brand new again. So after doing this the only other part that was a bit worn and sticky is the power window control unit on the drivers side door. So I bought a new controller unit but I am struggling to remove the one that's in the door. I looked on youtube for any footage of somebody doing this but couldn't find any.

I've got the plastic prying tools for this sort of job but the plastic cover is not popping out which makes me doubt whether it comes off this way or do I need to remove the door trim and get it that way. Does anybody have any experience with this?146429

WizudOfOz
29th November 2018, 08:29 PM
Hi there

According to the Workshop Manual I've got for 2014 models, you need to remove the door trim.

It looks like there are two screws and 7 clips to unfasten and the window switch module drops out.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Craig

RRSport101
30th November 2018, 07:27 AM
Hi there

According to the Workshop Manual I've got for 2014 models, you need to remove the door trim.

It looks like there are two screws and 7 clips to unfasten and the window switch module drops out.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Craig

Thanks Craig that helps a lot. I was starting to think the door trim would need to come out. Thanks again.

Bails
30th November 2018, 08:41 AM
Out of interest what Mileage is on your new car? Interested to get and idea on reliability etc.

discojools
30th November 2018, 10:53 AM
One of the window switches on my wife's 2014 Freelander went a bit sticky. They are very similar most likely the same as RRS ones. I sprayed a little isopropyl alcohol in it, all good now. Of course it won't help the cosmetics.

RRSport101
30th November 2018, 01:28 PM
Out of interest what Mileage is on your new car? Interested to get and idea on reliability etc.

2014 with 40,000kms on the clock

RRSport101
30th November 2018, 01:33 PM
One of the window switches on my wife's 2014 Freelander went a bit sticky. They are very similar most likely the same as RRS ones. I sprayed a little isopropyl alcohol in it, all good now. Of course it won't help the cosmetics.

Yeah I had it on a bmw also. What ever the product is it seems to start to go sticky around 3-4 years. That and a little wear. So far I put in a new start/stop button $60, new "P" button on the gear shifter $17 and the new buttons for controlling the power windows was $300. I'm a bit fussy with that so I'm happy just to buy new parts and have the car looking great again.

That's pretty much my only gripes with the car so for under $400 to get it back to looking close to brand new it's worth it in my view.

discojools
30th November 2018, 07:38 PM
They are a great car. I had mine for four years enjoyed every moment of it. Twas very reliable, only a couple of very minor things. Just waiting for new 19 SDV8 been delayed by new fuel consumption test.

Bails
30th November 2018, 10:38 PM
2014 with 40,000kms on the clock

Not even run in. I think the pre Add Blue SDV 8's are the best , bigger fuel tank and no Add blue to bother with.

jtmesa
1st December 2018, 03:41 PM
Yeah I had it on a bmw also. What ever the product is it seems to start to go sticky around 3-4 years. That and a little wear. So far I put in a new start/stop button $60, new "P" button on the gear shifter $17 and the new buttons for controlling the power windows was $300. I'm a bit fussy with that so I'm happy just to buy new parts and have the car looking great again.

That's pretty much my only gripes with the car so for under $400 to get it back to looking close to brand new it's worth it in my view.

Thanks so much for sharing the info.

Ive been looking into getting those bits sorted, especially the P button.
Where did you source those parts?

jtmesa
3rd December 2018, 10:48 PM
Found some ref guides from tech manual.

Hope this helps!