PDA

View Full Version : Next VW Amarok will be based on the Ford Ranger

LRT
18th January 2019, 05:49 PM
Not sure how this will go [emoji51]

I would prefer the Amarok over the Ranger any day. The fit & finish is so much better imo.

Confirmed: next Volkswagen Amarok will be a Ford Ranger (https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news/confirmed-next-volkswagen-amarok-will-be-a-ford-ranger)

loanrangie
18th January 2019, 06:00 PM
Shows how much faith VW have in their design.

pop058
18th January 2019, 06:49 PM
The Benz twincab is based on an ST-X Nissan so why not V-bub & Henry sharing a bunk.

DiscoMick
18th January 2019, 07:28 PM
Strange decision by VW, I think. They will have to work hard to make their Amarok seem different to the Ranger.
On the other hand, it's a compliment to the Ford Australia design team behind the Ranger that it has been so successful.

grey_ghost
18th January 2019, 07:50 PM
Strange in that VW spent all that money on R&D - and yet they only got one generation from it?

Slunnie
18th January 2019, 07:55 PM
Strange in that VW spent all that money on R&D - and yet they only got one generation from it?
Especially considering their goal was to be the best selling Ute, aimed at the hilux.

scarry
18th January 2019, 08:09 PM

I know a guy that sells them,they are struggling to move them,so i suppose they are moving on.

LRJim
18th January 2019, 08:15 PM
My FIL has one and it ****s all over the hilux, dont know why they would change it.
The only things I dont like is the shifter is too short, stiff and bigger than a tennis ball it must be a cable connected to the box. And you really need to ride the clutch to get them moving, you cant just ease off and go. Otherwise they are awsome, diff locks front and back also from the factory which is a bonus[emoji106]

Vern
18th January 2019, 08:23 PM
My FIL has one and it ****s all over the hilux, dont know why they would change it.
The only things I dont like is the shifter is too short, stiff and bigger than a tennis ball it must be a cable connected to the box. And you really need to ride the clutch to get them moving, you cant just ease off and go. Otherwise they are awsome, diff locks front and back also from the factory which is a bonus[emoji106]never experienced any of that when we owned one for 5 years, was a great vehicle. You think the vw shifter is too short, try the ranger, its horrid.
Will say, if i was ever in the market for another dual cab, they would be on the top of my list.

weeds
18th January 2019, 08:26 PM
I know a guy that sells them,they are struggling to move them,so i suppose they are moving on.

I was listening in on a conversation between two VW Australia (didnít sound like dealer or franchise) in the virgin lounge last year.....

They were saying they had the car to beat the rest but they werenít moving enough.

Ford have done well in the muscle against Toyota.

I spent 10hrs driving a ranger today (Buchan - Melbourne rtn), six speed manual towing an empty Ďheavyí tandem trailer with 280k on the clock......I think I still prefer my auto hi-lux.

I recon Nissan are going the right way with coils on the rear.

LRJim
18th January 2019, 08:34 PM
never experienced any of that when we owned one for 5 years, was a great vehicle. You think the vw shifter is too short, try the ranger, its horrid.
Will say, if i was ever in the market for another dual cab, they would be on the top of my list.The hilux is a capable unit and its got a real shifter but thats about it, never been in the newest one but the last sr5 wasnt that flash. Ive only driven the amarok a few times but other than my issues with the clutch everything else was effortless. Even my FIL complains about the clutch maybe hes just getting old and came from driving old nissans.
Cheers Jim

Pedro_The_Swift
18th January 2019, 08:53 PM
its ford underpinnings,, with vw on top.

LRT
18th January 2019, 10:00 PM
Iíve drove a salesmanís top spec 8spd V6 Amarok at my old work and it was miles ahead of the Hilux & Rangers that Iíve driven.

The little 4cyl 4x4 Core model has to work hard to keep up with traffic compared to the V6 though.

Rangers seem to be having a bad run down this part of Victoria. From setting fire to grain crops with DPF issues to blown engines under 100,000kms is very off putting.

DiscoMick
18th January 2019, 10:30 PM
Ford and Volkswagen announce alliance to cut costs in face of tech revolution

Ford and Volkswagen announce alliance to cut costs in face of tech revolution | Business | The Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/15/ford-volkswagen-alliance-detroit-auto-show-technology?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard)

grey_ghost
19th January 2019, 08:01 AM
The good old cost cutting model sharing excuse... Who remembers the Ford Maverick and Nissan Ute? Holden Commodore and Toyota Lexen? Holden Apollo and Toyota Camry? Look how that worked... [emoji16]

pop058
19th January 2019, 08:11 AM
The good old cost cutting model sharing excuse... Who remembers the Ford Maverick and Nissan Ute? Holden Commodore and Toyota Lexen? Holden Apollo and Toyota Camry? Look how that worked... [emoji16]

I thought the Ford Maverick and Nissan Patrol effort worked well for them. Not so much the Nissan Ute and XF ute and definitely not the Crumpledoor/Lexen thing.

DiscoMick
19th January 2019, 08:18 AM
I imagine Ford and VW will share platforms and some engines, but put their own bodies on, so the vehicles will remain apparently different, like the Nissan and Mercedes Utes. I can see the Ford and VW vans doing the same.

pop058
19th January 2019, 10:12 AM
I imagine Ford and VW will share platforms and some engines, but put their own bodies on, so the vehicles will remain apparently different, like the Nissan and Mercedes Utes. I can see the Ford and VW vans doing the same.

I believe MB used the Nissan platform to get a product to market in a reasonable time frame and the next one (or the one after that) will be a lot more MB and less Nissan (Renault ??)

trog
19th January 2019, 03:44 PM
With every manufacturer sharing all there bits and ideas , is Tesla the only stand alone these days ?

DiscoMick
19th January 2019, 04:26 PM
Toyota?

pop058
19th January 2019, 04:44 PM
Toyota?

in bed with Subaru. Where do you think the Toyota 86 motor came from ?

Also with Mazda doing a new Corolla I believe.

Homestar
19th January 2019, 04:55 PM
The hilux is a capable unit and its got a real shifter but thats about it, never been in the newest one but the last sr5 wasnt that flash. Ive only driven the amarok a few times but other than my issues with the clutch everything else was effortless. Even my FIL complains about the clutch maybe hes just getting old and came from driving old nissans.
Cheers Jim

Latest Hilux model is chalk and cheese to the previous one - much better platform. Having said that the Amarok is much better IMO but has a VW badge on it which scares a lot off - I know at work they looked at them and went with Ford as the VW Ďmay not be as reliableí. Thatís just one business - we buy with our heads, not hearts too, so something in it maybe? About 100 vehicles a year - were Hiluxs which I have but now Rangers which is what Iíll get next year. All models were considered and tested. Wonder how many other (much larger) businesses have done the same?

As as for the public, VW is always going to have a smaller appeal and market compared with Toyota and Ford, so probably doesnít matter what they use, theyíll never get close in this country I doubt.

weeds
19th January 2019, 05:08 PM
Latest Hilux model is chalk and cheese to the previous one - much better platform. Having said that the Amarok is much better IMO but has a VW badge on it which scares a lot off - I know at work they looked at them and went with Ford as the VW Ďmay not be as reliableí. Thatís just one business - we buy with our heads, not hearts too, so something in it maybe? About 100 vehicles a year - were Hiluxs which I have but now Rangers which is what Iíll get next year. All models were considered and tested. Wonder how many other (much larger) businesses have done the same?

As as for the public, VW is always going to have a smaller appeal and market compared with Toyota and Ford, so probably doesnít matter what they use, theyíll never get close in this country I doubt.

40k until I get a new lux....

AK83
19th January 2019, 10:18 PM

Yeah, but that was done 'under duress' from Button's plan back in the day.

Other R&D(proper R&D!!)) earlier efforts than those Aussie attempts, include the Type 4 chassis from Fiat/Alfa/Lancia/SAAB. Granted that Fiat, Alfa and Lancia were all owned by the same Italian auto manufacturer, but that they had SAAB in on the deal was interesting.
Those 9000's (at least) were one hell of a solid chassis too.
I had one early model and a later one too.

GM in the US had how many brands of vehicles, all sharing chassis platforms.
Dad used to own Cadillacs back in the day. I think it was the '67 coupe, one day broke some front suspension bush, and had to get towed away.
I was with dad, when he went to get a replacement wishbone and whatever from his Cadillac parts chap in Ballarat, and the best he could do was one from a Buick(maybe), they all used the same parts underneath.

I can't see anything wrong with R&D collaboration.
Major issue is that while the manufacturers save millions, that doesn't tend to translate into cheaper vehicles! .... it usually means higher profit margins for the manufacturers [bighmmm]

grey_ghost
20th January 2019, 06:26 AM
Donít get me wrong - my daily drive is a Skoda, and looking under the bonnet it doesnít take long to find a VW badge. Actually the Skoda has a lot of features compared to itís expensive VW cousins.

I was just trying to say that model sharing doesnít always work.

Maybe it will be like the VW Toureg / Porsche Cayenne - developed together but look quite different...

DiscoMick
20th January 2019, 03:20 PM
EVs will change vehicle design and make platform sharing easier. An EV will have a flat platform with batteries low down driving electric motors to turn the wheels. Almost any body can then be bolted on top,whether a Ranger or Amarok.
If VW is going to adopt Fords platform it may just mean Ford has the best platform already designed.