PDA

View Full Version : Improved results tuning a 6x6 Perentie from the auctions?

GMDMD53
18th February 2019, 05:40 PM
I have read that Perenties were not tuned by the ADF for highway driving. Is that true?
Has anyone achieved noticeable improvement on the highway just by tuning their Perentie post auction?
Seriously thinking of upgrading the turbo on my 6x6 but am curious to try getting a Dyno tune done first. Would that be a waste of time and money?

Any shared experiences would be gratefully received.

Vern
18th February 2019, 08:24 PM
Don't waste your time, replace that turbo.
You can for now however up the fueling, and also remove the fuel rack limiter bolt.

GMDMD53
18th February 2019, 08:38 PM
I have read that Perenties were not tuned by the ADF for highway driving. Is that true?
Has anyone achieved noticeable improvement on the highway just by tuning their Perentie post auction?
Seriously thinking of upgrading the turbo on my 6x6 but am curious to try getting a Dyno tune done first. Would that be a waste of time and money?

Thanks

weeds
18th February 2019, 08:57 PM
Gearing is their biggest issue

Short term (cheap) you can turn the fuel up and remove the muffler, cannot not remember if they upped the size of the exhaust......it made the GMV’s way more drivable during the bushranger trials and were running at GVM.

GMDMD53
18th February 2019, 09:14 PM
Gearing is their biggest issue

Short term (cheap) you can turn the fuel up and remove the muffler, cannot not remember if they upped the size of the exhaust......it made the GMV’s way more drivable during the bushranger trials and were running at GVM.

We run over GVM 90% of the time and hold up traffic on the hills!

yerriyong
6th March 2019, 09:09 AM
I agree with the gearing being an issue on the highway, though I would not change it now when most of my remote area driving is in high. I have tried other turbos td05h, tb2568 and the problem comes back to a compromise between where you prefer the turbo response, I found the others I tried spooled up at low rpm but restricted exhaust flow at higher rpms like on the highway driving up egt's. The current set up I am using now is std TB2518 turbo with pump rack turned up about 1.5 turns, 3" exhaust no muffler and water over air intercooler and I am happy with the performance when driving in desert country. You could go to a variable vane turbo for a better turbo or I have heard people speak of the holset hx30w which also could be a better option, I do have one but on a 4b cummins in a tractor which does perform well. Dave.

Vern
6th March 2019, 09:35 AM
Td05 and hx30w are too big, a td04hl-19t or a hx25w would be better.
I have found removing the rack bolt best then just tune via the fuel screw. My egt's improved and the car was much more responsive in the mid range.

Blknight.aus
6th March 2019, 06:33 PM

They are not geared for highway driving, they are geared to go slow and heavy, they (as far as landrover diesels go) eat fuel like its never going to run out but yota drivers stop being interested in talking when I'm still doing better than them.

yeah its easy to tune, 2 screws for the seat of the pants watch the pipe in the mirrors and fiddle stuff, bit more to edge the injection timing forwards a fraction and then we get to play with add this and that...

not really worth dyno-ing to do the seat of the pantsy stuff but definately if you're replacing the turbo or want to get the peak effeciency out of it.