PDA

View Full Version : 'New' D5 SD5 HSE

Mk1_Oz
8th July 2019, 06:15 PM
I have finally got fed up with my D3 developing problems and have decided it is time to upgrade. I have had the D3 for 10 years of which 8 were hassle free - she is starting to feel her age though.

I am looking at upgrading to a 2017 D5 SD4 HSE. I have read a number of forum articles that might suggest that this first year of the model were absolute dogs that are full of issues and constantly break down. I have also read reports of people being happy. The fuel in oil issue seems to be a worry.

As part of my due diligence, what is the general consensus of current aulro D5 owners? Happy or not?

I am not sure if Europe received the D5 before Australia so maybe some of the issues were addressed before we received it?

When looking at a second hand one, what should I be looking for? Anything specific? Is it worth upgrading my Nanocom (assuming you can) to read the D5 so that I can look at codes whilst test driving it?

IndusD4
9th July 2019, 05:12 AM
I'm happy with my MY18 TD6, no issues in the first year.

I'd say any new model will have teething issues, but I'm not aware of them "constantly breaking down". The "fuel in oil" issue on the TD6 (not SD4!) was referred to by LR as an early service warning issue and fixed with a software update on MY18, but also MY17 seem to have had an update that resolved it. Mine had 2 extra oil changes (at 3 and 6 months) in the first year but I feel that's been a good thing.

I can't comment on a Nanocom but the IIDTool so far only reads and clears fault codes on the D5.

Ron

brumby
9th July 2019, 09:44 AM
Our 2017 D5 HSE has been with us 7 months and no issues at all. I talked to the first owner and she had no problems either. Compared to our much loved Discovery 3 it feels lighter to drive (and is) and has much more power.

The rear seat operation is not as versatile as the D3 and i dislike the one piece tailgate with a passion but overall it is a great vehicle.

greg-g
9th July 2019, 09:58 AM
Generally, very happy with my 2017 SE SD4. It’s reasonably capable, a very comfortable vehicle to drive apart from the turbo lag. Apart from an intermittent glitch with one of the cameras or park sensors which totally disables all the sensors when it occurs, it’s been trouble free for a year.

I find the turbo lag with the SD4 very annoying and even potentially dangerous but there has been very little comment on most forums. There may be a very recent PCM upgrade, but I haven’t inquired locally. The turbo lag is very noticeable when accelerating when the engine is almost at idle, namely:

At a tee junction when pulling out across oncoming traffic. Don’t.
Braking into small roundabouts going up a slight incline and then accelerating. Nothing happens for a few seconds.
Going uphill through hairpin turns, breaking into a corner, put you foot down coming out, nothing happens then suddenly you are away again.

On the open road the throttle response is almost instantaneous.

I’ve never driven any other D5 SD4’s, but I have driven a latter model SD4 Evoque and didn’t notice the problem.

The only recurring problem I’ve read about apart from oil dilution issues with the TD6 is leaky windscreens.

Some have trouble finding good off-road tyres. 20 inch rims appear to give the most options.

Mk1_Oz
9th July 2019, 06:00 PM
Thanks all for the input.

As far as turbo lag goes, my 2.7TDv6 has it in spades so I am very used to using caution when pulling out in front of traffic. I doubt if that will bother me - TBH I don't recall feeling much lag when I drove an SD4 early this year however I drove it slightly harder than my car.

I keep reading about the 10" info screens having issues but nobody here has mentioned that (so hopefully that is a case of the internet being full of people complaining and not being balanced by the good stuff).

WhiteD3
9th July 2019, 07:18 PM
I have an MY18 D5 SD4 HSE which after 36,000 has been faultless to drive (lovely car on the highway) but I have had a long running issue with the infotech. Nothing dramatic but annoying in a $130k car. My advice is to go for a TD6 in an SE. The TD6 is a much better drive (better than what you'd think compared to the SD4 on paper) and the HSE tech is, well, subject to a bit of buyer remorse. Better the better drive than toys me thinks.

Mk1_Oz
9th July 2019, 09:11 PM
...I have had a long running issue with the infotech. Nothing dramatic...

Are you able to elaborate? I have seem many issues with areas of the screen not responding, reverse cameras not showing and alot about something to do with connecting a smartphone.

WhiteD3
10th July 2019, 05:09 AM
Are you able to elaborate? I have seem many issues with areas of the screen not responding, reverse cameras not showing and alot about something to do with connecting a smartphone.

The major issues (reverse camera, etc) were fixed with the phase 4 update.

Since then the main annoyance is partial or whole screen lock ups (both drivers TFT and the centre console). The centre console will freeze, go blank or offer up the LR logo for seconds to minutes and then go blank as the system appears to reset. The driver's TFT will lock up (media, map but never the speedo) and or display the D5 pic for seconds to minutes to the whole journey.

Media randomly "unavailable". Ditto satnav.

BT connection to my IPhone 6 locks up or has no audio every other day.

The drivers seat will often not fully complete its journey to my pre-programmed settings.

AEB often not available but then minutes later is.

Keato
10th July 2019, 02:59 PM
My wife’s leased work vehicle has recently been updated to a 2019 D5 SD4 SE. So far (only 3,000km), the engine is a massive improvement on the Disco Sport SD4 HSE that we had before. That was a piece of junk - weeks on end back at the dealer for EGR valve issues (more than once, and we weren’t the only ones complaining) and a major oil leak.

The Sport SD4 had massive and annoying lag. You’d put your foot down to pull out into traffic and nothing would happen for a few seconds, then it would kick in violently. After 3 years, I had almost learnt to anticipate a break in traffic and start accelerating when the last car was directly in front of me, counting on the lag to not take off until it had passed. Not fun.

The D5 is showing none of that. Quite smooth and quick off the mark. I should add that I always drive with the gearbox in Sport mode.

I agree with the comments above re the TD6. I test drive that and it was much nicer, smoother and with a nice low note, not the high rev of the SD4. Unfortunately it was out of the lease budget.

Also agree re the sensor/camera/audio glitches. Sometimes the rear camera just doesn’t come on and my iPhone 6 won’t play more than 1 song when connected by cable without switching to loud static.

Mk1_Oz
10th July 2019, 08:18 PM
Hmmm. The infotainment system seems great!...........

Cheers

Piddler
11th July 2019, 05:28 AM
My wife’s leased work vehicle has recently been updated to a 2019 D5 SD4 SE. So far (only 3,000km), the engine is a massive improvement on the Disco Sport SD4 HSE that we had before. That was a piece of junk - weeks on end back at the dealer for EGR valve issues (more than once, and we weren’t the only ones complaining) and a major oil leak.

The Sport SD4 had massive and annoying lag. You’d put your foot down to pull out into traffic and nothing would happen for a few seconds, then it would kick in violently. After 3 years, I had almost learnt to anticipate a break in traffic and start accelerating when the last car was directly in front of me, counting on the lag to not take off until it had passed. Not fun.

The D5 is showing none of that. Quite smooth and quick off the mark. I should add that I always drive with the gearbox in Sport mode.

I agree with the comments above re the TD6. I test drive that and it was much nicer, smoother and with a nice low note, not the high rev of the SD4. Unfortunately it was out of the lease budget.

Also agree re the sensor/camera/audio glitches. Sometimes the rear camera just doesn’t come on and my iPhone 6 won’t play more than 1 song when connected by cable without switching to loud static.

Maybe it says more about I phones?
Seems to be a common theme, I junk?

Cheers Piddler

scarry
11th July 2019, 09:01 AM
Maybe it says more about I phones?
Seems to be a common theme, I junk?

Cheers Piddler

I don't think so,no problems like these in our $35K work vans.
Don't know about other brand phones,but with any model iPhone no issues at all,none.

Geedublya
11th July 2019, 09:14 AM
My 2014 RRS has no problems with streaming or calls using the iPhone 8 Plus.

Rear camera works fine as well.

rar110
11th July 2019, 12:02 PM
My 2014 RRS has no problems with streaming or calls using the iPhone 8 Plus.

Rear camera works fine as well.

Thanks. I was wondering about how the D5 compared to a L494 for problems.

Mk1_Oz
11th July 2019, 12:34 PM
Thanks to all the input to my original question. My mind is a little more at ease now.

Have there been any updates to the D5 since the 2017?

Keato
11th July 2019, 01:58 PM
Have there been any updates to the D5 since the 2017?

Yes. Not sure of the details, but the dealer did tell us that from 2019 production the base model S with the TD4 engine has been dropped, and the SD4 engines have had something done to meet new Euro emissions compliance standards.

Mk1_Oz
11th July 2019, 03:23 PM
So no difference between a 2017 and 2018?

Mk1_Oz
13th July 2019, 02:04 PM
Looked at a 2017 HSE today then a brand new D5. As far as I could see the interior looked identical. I see a 2017 in my future........ Now to sell the D3 TDV6 SE

WhiteD3
13th July 2019, 03:35 PM
Looked at a 2017 HSE today then a brand new D5. As far as I could see the interior looked identical. I see a 2017 in my future

I assume they are but the big diff is the engines. TD4 (or is it a detuned SD4?) instead of the SD4 and SD6 instead of the TD6. If you do go looking for a MY17 or 18 make sure its had all the updates done.

Mk1_Oz
13th July 2019, 05:29 PM
...make sure its had all the updates done.

Which updates? Software?

WhiteD3
14th July 2019, 06:43 AM
Which updates? Software?

Yes. I had phase 4 done last year which fixed the reverse camera and other issues and last week had two more done to fix glitches in the infotech and the DEF (not that I knew there's was a problem with it in the first place!).

Mk1_Oz
14th July 2019, 10:42 AM
Cheers Whitey I will ask teh question. Is this a free update or do you have to pay for it?

Chrisnussey
14th July 2019, 04:47 PM
My 2017 TD6 HSE has been excellent. Just clicked over 61000KM since Nov 17. Scheduled services only since the initial oil dilution issue.
I would have no hesitation going again.
Chris

WhiteD3
14th July 2019, 04:55 PM
Cheers Whitey I will ask teh question. Is this a free update or do you have to pay for it?

Free as in covered under warranty but you do have to ask for updates unless they are a recall item.

SBD4
14th July 2019, 05:56 PM
Thanks. I was wondering about how the D5 compared to a L494 for problems.
It's more about the model year rather than L462 Vs L494. MY16.5(I think) L494 onwards has the same infotainment as the D5 so you're likely to see similar issues on that rather than earlier models.

FWIW my wifes 2018 BMW M140 is constantly losing connection with her iPhone, my S8 has no issues.

tony_s
22nd July 2019, 10:50 AM
Our Nov 17 TD6 SE has done 56k km, and towed a van like Chris’s for a fair chunk of it. No hiccups apart from the initial oil dilution issue and the OEM tyres which were not up to Australian gravel roads, and we are about to get our second replacement windscreen.
Tony

My 2017 TD6 HSE has been excellent. Just clicked over 61000KM since Nov 17. Scheduled services only since the initial oil dilution issue.
I would have no hesitation going again.
Chris

Mk1_Oz
29th July 2019, 05:35 PM
Now the proud owner of a black D5 SD4 HSE. What an awesome car.....LOVE IT.

Things that currently annoy me though;

have to turn off the stop/start function every time I start the car
the auto high beams cannot be stopped unless I turn off the normal auto lights (I think)
car holds a low gear too much causing the engine to strain and vibrate a little (yes I could flick it down a gear manually)
at night time the reverse camera is woefully grainy

WhiteD3
30th July 2019, 04:07 PM
Now the proud owner of a black D5 SD4 HSE. What an awesome car.....LOVE IT.

Things that currently annoy me though;

have to turn off the stop/start function every time I start the car
the auto high beams cannot be stopped unless I turn off the normal auto lights (I think)
car holds a low gear too much causing the engine to strain and vibrate a little (yes I could flick it down a gear manually)
at night time the reverse camera is woefully grainy

MK1:

Yes
You can disable this in the menu
What mode are you in? S? I haven't experienced this in mine.
Sadly yes

Graeme
30th July 2019, 04:36 PM
If the vehicle has a battery condition monitor module like the later L405s then unplugging the connector at the module will disable stop/start automatically without any adverse effects, fault codes etc.