PDA

View Full Version : Ssangyong 4x4 ute

Rob2
16th July 2019, 08:28 AM
G'day.
Anyone know anything about these utes ?
For example, are they reasonably well built, robust, reliable, capable of some outback runabouting,
worth the money ?
Ta.
Robert.

PhilipA
16th July 2019, 10:40 AM
From what I have read they have a Borg Warner Albury auto transmission and are orphans so if anything goes wrong it is horrendously expensive to fix.
The motor is an older Mercedes design, and again I understand that they build them for all Mercedes 2 litre vans worldwide. The older ones have a 5cylinder Mercedes diesel.

Regards Philip A

donh54
16th July 2019, 12:33 PM
My older brother has one over the Ditch. He reckons it's the best work vehicle he's ever had - comfy, reliable, all the grunt he needs, and handles really well on dirt roads (he's an ex speedway racer). The biggest caveat, IMO, would be the same as anything with that sort of pedigree, the service history is everything!

incisor
16th July 2019, 12:45 PM
mate has one and reckons it is a comfy series landy :p

Chops
16th July 2019, 01:07 PM
From what I have read they have a Borg Warner Albury auto transmission and are orphans so if anything goes wrong it is horrendously expensive to fix.
The motor is an older Mercedes design, and again I understand that they build them for all Mercedes 2 litre vans worldwide. The older ones have a 5cylinder Mercedes diesel.

Regards Philip A

Depends a a bit on what year it is as to what it’s got. They were very nice to drive and very comfortable, at least the test vehicles we had were. All leather interiors made them good for long hauls etc.
They shouldn’t really be an expensive fix, at least not the old units, but I have no idea on the new ones now.

PhilipA
16th July 2019, 03:46 PM
They shouldn’t really be an expensive fix, at least not the old units, but I have no idea on the new ones now.
I am referring to the new ones which have a six speed trans. I read a report from an owner whose died and he had an horrendous time getting it fixed.
Only one owner of course but a cautionary tale.

Regards Philip A

loanrangie
16th July 2019, 07:18 PM
They might have a zf6hp in them.