PDA

View Full Version : RWC for Series 1 with 186

fourteen8
23rd October 2019, 03:28 PM
Hi,

i am trying to get a RWC for my Series 1 with 186. Went to one shop and they rejected and asking for compliance plate. I spoke with Vicroads and they said they don't need it for a car that old. The car was registered in WA. I did check the PPRS and it shows correct chassis number and engine number.

I called another shop and the guy asked me to get an engineering certificate for that engine. Is this the case? Anyone know any shop that has done RWC for Series with holden engine?

Thanks,
Gus

goingbush
23rd October 2019, 03:45 PM
You DO NOT need an engineering certificate to get an RWC , in fact you need to get an RWC before you get the engineers certificate.

When I converted my Landy to Electric the Engineer asked for me to get a RWC first, then he will do the certificate on the modifications. When I went to VicRoads they said they didn't even need the RWC , just wanted to look at compliance plate for EV conversion.

Homestar
23rd October 2019, 03:58 PM
You shouldn’t need an Engineers report for a roadworthy but Vicroads may want proof it was registered with than engine in WA or they might. Engineer will require a Roadworthy or registered vehicle before they test it if that is required so RWC comes first. The Mechanics doing this aren’t signing off that it is ready to register just that the safety related stuff is all as it should be. Vicroads make the final call - you may need to ring around to find someone who understands this - a lot of places now don’t like looking at older cars so maybe using this as an excuse to move you on.

16PMark
23rd October 2019, 04:31 PM
Hi fourteen8,

If your LR isn't ****ing oil, looks reasonably neat/tidy/respectable, and you live in/near the outer eastern burbs of Melbourne, then send me a pm.
May be able to help....
Cheers.
Mark
[emoji1783]

EDIT, just checked your locale..
Not near me, but may still be able to help.
If you get stuck.
Cheers.

101RRS
23rd October 2019, 05:08 PM
Just remember that back in the 70s and into the 80s and maybe the 90s, Landrovers had "type" approval for the fitment into series landrovers in all jurisdictions.

Meaning that the "standard" modification was approved and as long as the standard modiification was followed no engineering was required with no sign off needed other than changing registration information concerning the engine number - normally a cursory inspection may have been done when the engine was inspected for the new engine number.

Nothing else was required.

The problem most people in the authorities who deal with these issues now were not even born when these "type" approvals existed.

Subaru lift kits also had "type" approvals and I was defected at a motor registry for having the kit and no documentation. The tech who put the defect notice on the car was most unhappy when he had to scrape off the defect notice after I had dragged the supervisor out of his office and demanded remedy - the tech was not a happy chappie.

As others have indicated if the vehicle has previously been registered with the engine you should have no issue other than the lack of knowledge of people involved.

Garry

fourteen8
24th October 2019, 10:43 AM
Call another garage for RWC and have the same answer. I need to get Engineering Certificate [bigsad]

fourteen8
24th October 2019, 10:51 AM
Hi fourteen8,

If your LR isn't ****ing oil, looks reasonably neat/tidy/respectable, and you live in/near the outer eastern burbs of Melbourne, then send me a pm.
May be able to help....
Cheers.
Mark
[emoji1783]

EDIT, just checked your locale..
Not near me, but may still be able to help.
If you get stuck.
Cheers.

PM sent. Thanks Mark.

fourteen8
25th October 2019, 04:49 PM
Called VicRoads again and told my situation. She said I don’t need compliance plate because it pre-1969 and no need for engineering certificate because it has been registered in WA with that engine. Sound good but they can not send their statement to my email. So there is no way for me to show to the garage for rwc.

Anyway I submitted an online enquiry and hoping they will reply soon and to my email hopefully.

goingbush
25th October 2019, 05:18 PM
Called VicRoads again and told my situation. She said I don’t need compliance plate because it pre-1969 and no need for engineering certificate because it has been registered in WA with that engine. Sound good but they can not send their statement to my email. So there is no way for me to show to the garage for rwc.

Anyway I submitted an online enquiry and hoping they will reply soon and to my email hopefully.

Ring VicRoads from the garage and have the conversation on handsfree !!

fourteen8
10th November 2019, 04:40 PM
Anyone can tell me how to open the lense of this light? I need to replace the bulb but can’t figure it out how to open the lens. I couldn’t find any screws

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191110/6543c8c2327ff6c7e280be1f5da2c5be.jpg

gromit
10th November 2019, 05:07 PM
Anyone can tell me how to open the lense of this light? I need to replace the bulb but can’t figure it out how to open the lens. I couldn’t find any screws

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191110/6543c8c2327ff6c7e280be1f5da2c5be.jpg

Prise out the chrome ring and the lens then pulls out.

Colin

goingbush
10th November 2019, 05:15 PM
Thats not a LandRover light, its from a Mini, got same ones on my Dodge!

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/74913817_2534494413299000_6639199143812136960_o.jp g?_nc_cat=102&_nc_eui2=AeGdBJTr3tcvClVeOY4-NK0qoTohucCqoj8earCCwmip17_xtEgSrt6Jacul1VUunTKQG_ 0caERNk3w4I_tuXe339lOtBGV7-erdYkSIbQzO5A&_nc_oc=AQlkqcC3vFf9HCXAWu1MdGOHoUA99v7FM1f7IMMuFTA wovrTIk1Onq-siGEv0mbB5Hg&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=d6585dcf01e50cb150b67bb6aae0226b&oe=5E5BC3AA

fourteen8
10th November 2019, 05:16 PM
So both silver ring and lens pullout?

goingbush
10th November 2019, 05:57 PM
So both silver ring and lens pullout?

yes. pull the ring first, then the lens.

whitehillbilly64
12th November 2019, 07:25 PM
Mine had 3 pins and slots for the chrome ring.
Was a bit rusted, but turn the pull. lens held in by ring and sealing washer.

whitehillbilly

Tins
12th November 2019, 07:44 PM

VicRoads office, 64 Old Geelong Road, Hoppers Crossing.

VicRoads are hopeless online for things out of left field... Mind you, they are often hopeless in person as well, but at least you can request to speak to someone higher up.

JDNSW
12th November 2019, 08:33 PM
Thats not a LandRover light, its from a Mini, got same ones on my Dodge!

I'm pretty certain they were an alternative fitting on Series 2/early 2a - but I could be wrong!

fourteen8
13th November 2019, 02:29 PM
Mine will not stay at high range. It will move neutral after few metre. Any idea what could be the issue?

gromit
13th November 2019, 02:43 PM
Mine will not stay at high range. It will move neutral after few metre. Any idea what could be the issue?

It could be the detent mechanism spring, adjustment of the selector fork, worn gears in the transfer box, selector lever fouling on something limiting it's travel .......

Had the same problem on my Series III, a new spring, detent plunger and a bit of adjustment fixed the problem (mostly).
Unfortunately Photobucket held my pictures to ransom but I could probably find them if you PM your email address Isuzu C240 powered Series 3 (https://www.aulro.com/afvb/other-powered-series-land-rovers/151959-isuzu-c240-powered-series-3-a-post2545402.html#post2545402)

Colin

1950landy
16th November 2019, 01:11 PM
It could be the detent mechanism spring, adjustment of the selector fork, worn gears in the transfer box, selector lever fouling on something limiting it's travel .......

Had the same problem on my Series III, a new spring, detent plunger and a bit of adjustment fixed the problem (mostly).
Unfortunately Photobucket held my pictures to ransom but I could probably find them if you PM your email address Isuzu C240 powered Series 3 (https://www.aulro.com/afvb/other-powered-series-land-rovers/151959-isuzu-c240-powered-series-3-a-post2545402.html#post2545402)

Colin
I had this problem on my 80"after I replaced the rubber boot , I found the new boot was very stiff. Once I unscrewed the boot off the floor I had no more problem so I have just left the boot loose for the moment & have not had a problem since.[bigwhistle]

fourteen8
19th November 2019, 08:00 PM
I cut the rubber boot a. It and it is ok so far. Thanks.

fourteen8
19th November 2019, 08:01 PM
Anyone know the part number for this shock bush? I can’t seem to find similar bush on the net. Thanks.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191119/0acda67412b893c679317ff7e17ad78a.jpg

gromit
20th November 2019, 05:31 AM
Not polyurethane but rubber.

Shock absorber bush - cone type - Paddock Spares (https://au.paddockspares.com/552819-shock-absorber-bush-cone-type.html)

Colin

goingbush
20th November 2019, 04:20 PM
I think the nail holding the bush in is more of a RWC issue than the bush itself, Supposed to be held in with a big split pin.

theelms66
20th November 2019, 04:28 PM
Looks like a split pin to me. Thats looking at it on my phone. Pin is horizontal.

JDNSW
20th November 2019, 07:29 PM
Looks like a split pin to me too - mind youI have seen plenty with nails, and possibly more common, fencing wire!

mick88
21st November 2019, 06:30 AM
Fourteen8,
How did you get on regarding a RWC?

Cheers, Mick.

fourteen8
21st November 2019, 07:48 AM
I think the nail holding the bush in is more of a RWC issue than the bush itself, Supposed to be held in with a big split pin.

The shocks move so need to replace the bushes. I am getting the rubber one from north melbourne. Will fit them tonight if not too hot in garage and see.

fourteen8
21st November 2019, 07:55 AM
Fourteen8,

Cheers, Mick.

I got a mechanic came a couple days ago that can send to garage for rwc. He was quite surprise how good the condition of the car (good sign). But there few things need to clean and bushes to replace.

Showed him the PPSR showing it has been registered before and also VSI21 for seat belts rule in Victoria. But I didn’t mentioned about the holden engine in it [emoji16]

Will send it to him this Sunday for Monday appointment at the garage. I hope the mechanic can talk/persuade the rwc garage better than me.
Will update how does it go on Monday.
I just want to enjoy and drive it every weekends to take children to sports/lessons.

Thanks
Gus

gromit
21st November 2019, 11:56 AM
I got a mechanic came a couple days ago that can send to garage for rwc. He was quite surprise how good the condition of the car (good sign). But there few things need to clean and bushes to replace.

Showed him the PPSR showing it has been registered before and also VSI21 for seat belts rule in Victoria. But I didn’t mentioned about the holden engine in it [emoji16]

Will send it to him this Sunday for Monday appointment at the garage. I hope the mechanic can talk/persuade the rwc garage better than me.
Will update how does it go on Monday.
I just want to enjoy and drive it every weekends to take children to sports/lessons.

Thanks
Gus

Child restraint rules are fully retrospective so depending on their age you might not legally be able to take them in a vehicle without seatbelts or proper attachment bolts.

Colin

101RRS
21st November 2019, 12:14 PM
Child restraint rules are fully retrospective so depending on their age you might not legally be able to take them in a vehicle without seatbelts or proper attachment bolts.

Colin

No - seatbelts are not required as a general roadworthy requirement BUT as you mentioned seatbelts for juniors are retrospective so it means if you dont want to carry juniors then no belts are required but if you do put them in then the vehicle will have to be fitted and engineered etc .

Garry

fourteen8
21st November 2019, 01:45 PM
Ok. Let get it pass RWC first then I will think of seat belts issues. [smilebigeye]

fourteen8
21st November 2019, 05:22 PM
Is the rim with serial number 231601 for series 1 or 3? How about 273309?
Its not rwc related but I am just curious. Thanks

fourteen8
6th December 2019, 03:02 PM
Fourteen8,

Cheers, Mick.

Hi Mick,

It has been nearly 2 weeks in the garage and still no news from him. He seems not sure about it. I don't think he has done old car before. Do you know anyone that can help me?

JDNSW
6th December 2019, 04:35 PM
Is the rim with serial number 231601 for series 1 or 3? How about 273309?
Its not rwc related but I am just curious. Thanks

231601 is the 5" rim wheel fitted to most Series 1, 2, 2a swb. According to my parts books, 273309 is a spacer, not a wheel. Perhaps you mean 272309, which is the 5.5" rim wheel fitted to most Series 2,2a, early 3 lwb and optional on Series 2,2a,3 swb.

fourteen8
10th December 2019, 06:36 PM
Just wondering whether anyone have one of these laying around and closed to western suburb of melbourne (werribee).

I have another appointment tomorrow and the lights playing and can’t replace the bulb.

Thanks
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191210/fd9b49fdc6edbeb7eba1b31a519a7b79.jpg

LRJim
10th December 2019, 07:29 PM
Just wondering whether anyone have one of these laying around and closed to western suburb of melbourne (werribee).

I have another appointment tomorrow and the lights playing and can’t replace the bulb.

Thanks
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191210/fd9b49fdc6edbeb7eba1b31a519a7b79.jpgHey Gus, that front wing you gave me has some lights in it. The lenses have sun damage though, other than that it should work fine.
Let me know if you want it ill leave it in the letterbox and you can grab it whenever you like.
Cheers

fourteen8
11th December 2019, 06:52 PM
Hey Gus, that front wing you gave me has some lights in it. The lenses have sun damage though, other than that it should work fine.
Let me know if you want it ill leave it in the letterbox and you can grab it whenever you like.
Cheers

Thanks for the offer jim. But ended up getting new ones.

Couldn’t get the park light on. Could it be the switch? Fuse? I couldn’t find the fuse for it. So at the end I connect them to headlights [emoji16]

JDNSW
12th December 2019, 05:33 AM
If the wiring is the same as when it left the factory (perhaps doubtful after this time!) the only fuse is for ignition switched accessories, so you are unlikely to find one for the parking lights.

fourteen8
12th March 2020, 11:20 AM
Dropped the car at garage not far from home for rwc. He is going to check if it is ok to have holden engine it it and let me know. Showed him PPSR record it was registered in WA with the same holden engine.

I can only wait now....again. This will be the third garage. The first two didn’t want to do it as they were not sure if it ok with holden engine.

Hoping for a good news by Friday.

fourteen8
4th April 2020, 09:36 AM
Finally I got the rwc [emoji1531][emoji1531][emoji1531]

Now waiting club president to check the docs and signed them off hopefully then will go to vicroads.

fourteen8
8th April 2020, 06:23 PM
Got the club permit today [emoji16]

Now looking for idea where put the number plate on the car (front and rear)

If you can post the photos of where you put the number plate that would be fantastic.

Cheers
Gus

1950landy
8th April 2020, 08:55 PM
This may not be any good to you as I am in Qld . This is what I did with STD club plates , I made up an extention to fit to the side of the tub like the ones on a Defender 159385159386 Sorry about turned on there side but happens when I take photo.s with phone.
I then changed to PPQ Plates with a short rear plate 159387159388 A few years back Qld had Sq plates for club plates they were between 200mm to 250mm Sq.

JDNSW
8th April 2020, 09:05 PM
Most Series Landrovers had the front plate on the RH fron mudguard, occasionally on a bit of angle in the middle on top of the bumper, nearly all had the rear numberplate on a hinged and lighted bracket in the middle of the tailgate, so it could be seen with the tailgate down.

Bigbjorn
9th April 2020, 06:39 AM
This may not be any good to you as I am in Qld . This is what I did with STD club plates , I made up an extention to fit to the side of the tub like the ones on a Defender 159385159386 Sorry about turned on there side but happens when I take photo.s with phone.
I then changed to PPQ Plates with a short rear plate 159387159388 A few years back Qld had Sq plates for club plates they were between 200mm to 250mm Sq.

They were the Veteran, Vintage, and Historic vehicle plates which predated the Special Interest scheme which was introduced in 1999.

mick88
15th April 2020, 09:58 PM
Got the club permit today [emoji16]

Now looking for idea where put the number plate on the car (front and rear)

If you can post the photos of where you put the number plate that would be fantastic.

Cheers
Gus

The previous owner had made this number plate bracket up when he purchased the (green) vehicle new in 1971, so i decided to stick with it when i put the vehicle the CP Scheme.
The red vehicle has a steel fabricated bumper bar that was originally part of a very heavy bull bar, however i cut it down to just a bumper bar. This one does not have a "Stirring Stick" so no need for the little hole in the middle of the bumper bar.
Some ideas for you to ponder over.

Cheers, Mick.

JDNSW
16th April 2020, 06:10 AM
Standard position for rear plate:-159751