PDA

View Full Version : DVD Recorders

Redback
1st June 2006, 08:30 AM
We have just purchased a new LG HDD DVD recorder, and so far we are very happy with it being able to record onto it's 80Gig hard drive then being able to put it on a DVD as well is great.
It will also record or put on a DVD from an outside sourse like a analog or digital camcorder as well from a tape if hooked up to do this through another VHS recorder.

Only thing that we can't do is watch the recorded DVDs on our DVD player as it won't play them, they play fine on our sons DVD player but not ours:mad: :rolleyes:

Guess we'll have to buy another DVD to watch our new DVDs of our trips we record:lol:

So just thought i'd tell you how well they work, i must admit i was a bit sceptical about them, one tip though, record in high quality when recording from the hard drive to DVD, if you decide to buy one.

Baz.

drivesafe
1st June 2006, 11:56 AM
Hi Baz, from most of the articles I’ve read on making your own home grown DVDs, they are all pretty well saying just what you posted.

As long as your not planning to do more than simple editing, they are easy to use and cost heaps less than buying a computer to do it and you are more likely to get more use from one as compered to a computer.

Cheers.

101RRS
1st June 2006, 12:13 PM
Only thing that we can't do is watch the recorded DVDs on our DVD player as it won't play them, they play fine on our sons DVD player but not ours:mad: :rolleyes:

Guess we'll have to buy another DVD to watch our new DVDs of our trips we record:lol:

Baz.

Baz - I don't understand - you can play back your DVDs in the DVD recorder. I appreciate that DVDs burnt on one piece of equipment may have problems playing on other equipment but your new DVD recorder is also a DVD player so you should be able to watch them.

Sorry if I have missed something here.

Gazzz (rhymes with Baz:) )

stevo68
1st June 2006, 12:54 PM
Sorry if I have missed something here.
Ditto, as if I have read correctly, that doesnt make sense ie the recorder then wont play the DVD,s recorded :eek:

Regards

Stevo

Redback
1st June 2006, 01:49 PM
Ditto, as if I have read correctly, that doesnt make sense ie the recorder then wont play the DVD,s recorded :eek:

Regards

Stevo

Well we have a DVD player and the new DVD recorder hooked up to the same TV we expected to be able to play them on both, we don't want 2 hooked up to the same TV, we were going to move the original player to another room and used there, but no point now as it won't play the DVDs we record on the new one.

Baz.

dobbo
1st June 2006, 01:55 PM
have you finalised your burnt DVD's so they can be played on other players? Also your player might be a + or - format whilst your sons a multizone. Not all plastic shiny discs are the same unfortunately

stevo68
1st June 2006, 01:56 PM
Well we have a DVD player and the new DVD recorder hooked up to the same TV we expected to be able to play them on both, we don't want 2 hooked up to the same TV, we were going to move the original player to another room and used there, but no point now as it won't play the DVDs we record on the new one.

Baz. Ahh ok I get ya now, you need to play on one to be able to record onto the other..correct? Then with the copied DVD they will only play on one of the players. It cant play and record at the same time through the one source ie playing the dvd on the recorder and copying at the same time? Im looking to get one soon so am interested as want to copy movies from video camera onto disk etc,

Regards

Stevo

Redback
1st June 2006, 03:31 PM
have you finalised your burnt DVD's so they can be played on other players? Also your player might be a + or - format whilst your sons a multizone. Not all plastic shiny discs are the same unfortunately

Yep done that, we didn't first up but the others we have done we have finalized.

The fact that it works on ours sons DVD leads us to think that it's just this player.

Baz.

Redback
1st June 2006, 03:34 PM
Im looking to get one soon so am interested as want to copy movies from video camera onto disk etc,

Regards

Stevo

It does this well, we paid $460 at the Good Guys cash price, $499 retail

dobbo
1st June 2006, 05:34 PM
go down bilo / kmart / big w somewhere like that and buy a $50.00 - $100.00 unit most of them play everything

Worst case scenerio it doesn't you still have a new dvd player for another room

Have you tried them on your P.C?

Redback
1st June 2006, 06:05 PM
go down bilo / kmart / big w somewhere like that and buy a $50.00 - $100.00 unit most of them play everything

Worst case scenerio it doesn't you still have a new dvd player for another room

Have you tried them on your P.C?

Yep they work in the computer which is good, now how do i get DVD software onto my work computer without IT knowing:lol: :rolleyes:

Bradtot
1st June 2006, 10:53 PM
Guys as I fix these things for a living and represent some of the bigger manufactuers my only advice is to try and keep them cool.
If you are planning to buy see if you can feel how hot they get in the store if they are running
I have just repaired 2 better branded ones (I wont say which on a public forum) that cost a total of $1400 under warranty to fix...that is not a misprint $1400.
Yes it was warranty but if it wasnt?
I am finding that most are running really hot.
It could just be our WA power as has happened in the past but I dont know.
The idea is really good but the reliabilty so far for me has not been as it should.
Most I have seen use a standard hard drive, same as whats in your computer,but the manfact want $480 for something u can buy at a computer shop for less than $200.
I even took a supposedly faulty one from a dvd recorder and have loaded win xp on to it at home, so I know there is no difference or nothing special about the drive.
My advice to you all is whatever you buy GET A Extended warranty on the product as it will normally save you in the long run.

anyway
good luck
Brad:eek:

dobbo
1st June 2006, 11:53 PM
Guys as I fix these things for a living and represent some of the bigger manufactuers my only advice is to try and keep them cool.
If you are planning to buy see if you can feel how hot they get in the store if they are running
I have just repaired 2 better branded ones (I wont say which on a public forum) that cost a total of $1400 under warranty to fix...that is not a misprint $1400.
Yes it was warranty but if it wasnt?
I am finding that most are running really hot.
It could just be our WA power as has happened in the past but I dont know.
The idea is really good but the reliabilty so far for me has not been as it should.
Most I have seen use a standard hard drive, same as whats in your computer,but the manfact want $480 for something u can buy at a computer shop for less than $200.
I even took a supposedly faulty one from a dvd recorder and have loaded win xp on to it at home, so I know there is no difference or nothing special about the drive.
My advice to you all is whatever you buy GET A Extended warranty on the product as it will normally save you in the long run.

anyway
good luck
Brad:eek:

They all run hot thats why the majority of players are just a simple drive board and a big empty box. Any motorized drive generates heat thats why the most popular gaming console on the market removed the powerpak from the casing and reduced the size considerabally. I honestly think a home built media p.c is the way to go

George130
2nd June 2006, 04:46 PM
Yep they work in the computer which is good, now how do i get DVD software onto my work computer without IT knowing:lol: :rolleyes:

Redback with all the testing we have done at home and work. I have to agree the cheaper player the happier it is to play the disks. The more you pay the pickier it is about burn't disks.
Havn't tried one of those units with a HDD yet though.

drivesafe
2nd June 2006, 07:18 PM
Redback with all the testing we have done at home and work. I have to agree the cheaper player the happier it is to play the disks. The more you pay the pickier it is about burn't disks.

Hi george130, there is actually a very legitimate reason for what you posted.

The cheap players have to be able to play as many types of formats that there is because they are sold all over China and China has no standardised format, so anything goes and as most people can only afford the cheap ones, so the only way a player can be sold there, is if it will play anything.

George130
2nd June 2006, 09:04 PM
Yep I did realise that this was an issue. There is also an issue with the quality units lasers and dies. Some lasers don't like certain dies. I think there about 5 different die manufacturers. The best trick there is trial and error with the disk brands coupled with research on the web.

incisor
3rd June 2006, 03:59 AM
the only drawback with the cheap players is the quality of the sound processors. some of them are bloody terrible... but at $50 a throw ....

target are or were last week running a great special on some silver thinline units at $59 a pop and they do raw mp4 and divx.... e bits of kit :P

chunk
12th June 2006, 01:29 AM
hi there, does your dvd play copied discs. because some of the more expensive units dont unless you punch in a code (which you get off the net) the code makes the unit region free and also lets you play copied discs. i currently own 2 dvd recorders one bought at woolies no hdd for $240 and an AWA with 160 gig hdd for $460 both run hot but as long as you keep them well ventilated there's no problem. discs play on everthing.