PDA

View Full Version : switching to Lithium

W&KO
9th May 2020, 12:57 PM
With gas being banned from our touring rig and given its in the shop getting the new rear fitout it seemed the right time to switch

Have committed to the following.

All Enerdrive gear
200amp/hr B-Tech Battery
40amp DC-DC
2000w inverter with RCD and remote on/off
Battery monitor
Low capacity (%) cutout

Re: battery, I initially didn’t want to fit inside the cab due to limited real estate therefore settled on buying 2 AMPS 100amp/hr from a Traxide as they seemed good value for money. Good thing I double check the measurement as I discovered they were too long [emoji20]. The guy doing the fit out is now utilizing some dead space for the 200.

Re: DC-DC 40+, pretty straight forward. Recommend max charge current is 60amps. I’ll leave the DC-DC set at 40 and the roof solar to the battery via the existing Victron 75/15. I’ll have an Anderson plug coming off the DC-DC solar input for when I need to connect a solar blanket.

Re: 2000w inverter. It the max. Size recommended. I’m going with the model with built in RCD. Will have a remote on/off switch and a power point (ext. Lead)in the kitchen.

Re: battery monitor, although not required as I can view the battery from my phone, having a display in the kitchen will be handy. I always in trouble for being on my phone to much.

Re: low capacity cut out, I’m calling it low capacity so not to get confused with the internal low voltage cut out on the battery. If for some reason you get to zero % the BMS is likely to go to sleep and charge from alternator or solar will not wake it up. As I won’t be carry a battery charger the cutout will be set at 15%. I’ve read that running a set of jumper leads from start battery to AUX will wake up the BMS, if that the case why doesn’t the alternator do it.??

Currently have 300w if solar on the roof and a 120 blanket.

I may move away from semi flexible panels as even though this set is performing better than the cheap as chips first set I’m at off the rated output. Will wait for the car to be return and I’ll take measurements and see what options are out there to maximize the allocated roof space.

Load on the system.
- 60L evaKOOL fridge
- 1800w induction cook top
- a couple of LED lights
- a couple of USB outlets
- water pump.
- 12v oven, nearly always used when driving. Maybe the last hour max. on just battery.

The basic redarc battery isolator and 110amp/hr AGM are being retired.

Even when we toured using gas we weren’t big users. On a typical day we only boil water to wash dishes once a day, boil one cup of water in the morning, cook an evening meal.

When available we take advantage of cooking/heating over a fire, camp kitchen or public BBQ.

Oh and if we’re low on power, there is a perfectly good alternator keen to help out with a top up.

Pretty comfortable it’ll all just work.

How’s that grab ya??

W&KO
17th June 2020, 05:23 AM
Collected the defer last night

Get the battery to 100% so I can calibrate the remote monitor display

have the inverter to wire in today....there had been a rush on Enerdrive gear and they had zero stock in AUS. Found a seller with a stash in WA

Camping this weekend to test the setup.....

W&KO
17th June 2020, 07:31 AM
40 from the DC-DC and 2.1 from solar.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200616/d9e73c6c5f36225fb0944f429d81bd79.jpg

Milton477
17th June 2020, 05:14 PM
Good move, you won't be sorry. Running the microwave off our Lithium setup as I type this. No more gas kettle either. Proper toaster too.
Enjoy them,.

W&KO
17th June 2020, 06:12 PM
Good move, you won't be sorry. Running the microwave off our Lithium setup as I type this. No more gas kettle either. Proper toaster too.
Enjoy them,.

No microwave or toaster.

Just one induction cooktop

W&KO
18th July 2020, 12:15 PM
new set up has had a few runs...a few observations

2 two night weekends and just finishing a seven night road trip.

Cabling, when running a 2000w inverter pulling 160amps while boiling water it needs to the right size. Installer needed to do some rework, I followed the instructions so mine was good

DC-DC, more than happy with performance, 40amps and whatever from the roof mounted solar. On driving days we were always back to 100% before lunch, even when running a 12v Oven. The 40 does taper off as it gets closer to 100%, seems to differ from day to day. Enerdrive suggested a change in one setting to have it charging at 40 for as long as possible.

Battery, haven’t been below 62% yet and seems to be enough capacity. We were parked up for three days relying only on solar and were at 92% the night before we left. Low voltage (capacity) cuts in at 18%. Ya don’t get to use 100% of a lithium battery

One thing we miss about our gas cooker (disposable cylinder type) is not being able to set up on a park table for a cook up as we’re confined to cooking at the car.

Changed solar to 2 x 120w semi flex....big improvement on the previous two I had. Will switch to one big house type solar panel before we leave.

Really happy with the switch....

windsock
27th July 2020, 12:26 PM
With gas being banned from our touring rig and ...

One thing we miss about our gas cooker (disposable cylinder type) is not being able to set up on a park table for a cook up as we’re confined to cooking at the car.

Don't quite understand the reference to getting rid of gas. Is this an Australian thing for the fire risk? Am in NZ so some context would assist understanding no doubt. Sorry if I missed this somewhere.

An interesting thread, cheers for the initial info and the feedback/followup.

W&KO
27th July 2020, 07:32 PM
Don't quite understand the reference to getting rid of gas. Is this an Australian thing for the fire risk? Am in NZ so some context would assist understanding no doubt. Sorry if I missed this somewhere.

An interesting thread, cheers for the initial info and the feedback/followup.

The dream is to take the defer abroad.....and wanted to remove chasing a second fuel source.

We only have a 110 and room is already at a premium

Last 2-3 years we’ve been using the disposable gas cylinders. Whilst not a tree hugger I do try and limit waste where I can plus they don’t work super good in altitude or cold weather and the wind.

We’re now planning a two lap of AUS and decide if we will ship O/S.

Didn’t want to revert to standard gas cylinders as you generally need two, one in use and one waiting to be filled. Well this is what we did with outlet camper trailer.

So far lithium is working well for us and seems we’ve made the right call......I doubt we’ll get anywhere near our money back in saving from not buying gas......

To answer your question, not an Aussie thing, not a fire thing, just want to reduce waste and not have to worry about buying gas.

W&KO
27th July 2020, 07:53 PM
Changed solar to 2 x 120w semi flex....big improvement on the previous two I had. Will switch to one big house type solar panel before we leave.

It seems Rule of thumb seems to be you need 2 x usable battery capacity in solar watts.....well that’s what I read on the internet.

Sooo, I have 164 usable amp hours (I still need to understand the built in battery protection) therefore should be aiming for 330w of solar if you use the rule of thumb

The best I got out of the semi flex panels on our recent nine day trip was 181w 75-76%

It been heavily overcast of late and I spotted on a sunny day a few days ago that the solar output peaked at 201w 83% which i thought was pretty good from my reasonably good quality semi flex panels.

Considering something like this for our trip of these semi flex panel don’t perform, but at 19kg....
https://www.springers.com.au/web/content/402019?unique=9f44c7dd6d88b0c25ac1e5525a67340c05e4 20d4&download=true

W&KO
17th August 2020, 07:17 AM
Have the system a good workout over the weekend.

Battery dropped to 68% which is the lowest to date.

I wasn’t convinced the new semi flex solar panels were going to get the tick of approval......

Happy ish with 228w from 240w of panels.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200816/3b0c6b9177d17c9cee1fbb8939f59c21.png

W&KO
7th November 2020, 08:30 AM
Not much to report...it just seems to work

No longer worried about capacity.....still haven’t been below 68%. No more checking volts and checking solar.

Inverter remote on/off is now mounted into the cupboard and the 240v outlet is also mounted, no more dangling on the end of there leads

@ 96% this morning.....cloudy at the moment will see how long it takes to get back to 100%

W&KO
9th November 2020, 11:24 AM
Weekend just gone was the biggest test for the system.

It cloudy and raining at times and other times had full sunshine.

Sunday morning our battery was at it lowest 52% using induction cook top a bit and 12v running flat out for 4hrs in the 12hrs prior.

Saturday I hit a new record for watts out of my semi flexible panel

Sunday they produced more than they are rated for.

I had me doubts about semi flex but having a couple of quality ones I’m more comfortable.

Next big discussion point is charge rate if you only drive short distances.

We left this morning with battery at 68% at 5:30am and had a 1hr10min drive to next location and than it’s been solar only, battery was at at 99% when I checked at 10:45. Replaced 84amp, fridge running and battery is tossed up.

My alternator charging is restricted to 40ah and I only have 240w of solar.

Overall pretty happy and should suit our touring requirements. Sure I didn’t get fully charged yesterday but sat and today we will be at float.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201109/1b470b55bd56b2223dbece68e284a376.png

W&KO
9th November 2020, 11:32 AM
Meant to add, we didn’t chase solar yesterday...panels were facing to the east all day.

Weather on and off bad so we laid in bed watching movies most of the day.

drivesafe
9th November 2020, 04:07 PM
Hi W&KO, I am not seeing your point?

You are achieving nothing more than what you would achieve with lead acid batteries.

What are you trying to point out?

DiscoDB
9th November 2020, 07:58 PM
Well that went down like a lead balloon drivesafe.

Surely there is more to the system than just the selection of lead vs lithium batteries.

Good work W&KO - thanks for sharing the details on your system set up and the results you are getting from it. [emoji106]

Tombie
9th November 2020, 08:04 PM
It’s an interesting thread.

I currently have 115w panel on my camper (the high end semi flex 4x100w all crapped themselves a while back) and 2x105ah AGMs....

I’m seeing those charging figures as above with this set up.
Once my second 115w panel goes up I’ll never have an issue.

W&KO
9th November 2020, 08:25 PM
Well that went down like a lead balloon.
. [emoji106]

Not sure what you mean. It’s sharing my journey as it might help others decide on a solution.

I’ve close enough to tripled my capacity for the same weight as my old set up. And yes I’m tight on weight. My 40ah charger plus a bit of solar has the legs for short drive days. We have two years to do our lap so I’m guessing there will be plenty of short hops and multiple days stationary. I normally try and park facing north, but this weekend views was more important than harvesting solar. I suspect there will be many time I won’t have to option to point the car in the preferred direction.

With my old set up I would have been fussing around watching volt levels,chasing solar, dragging out solar blanket or running the engine instead of enjoying time with the bride and friends. I would probably not have had a roast dinner either. Along with less storage space and would be using precious load capacity.

Old v New......no comparison.

DiscoDB
9th November 2020, 08:37 PM
All good W&KO. My comment was directed at drivesafe. It seems my own comment went down like a lead balloon....heh heh....sorry about that.

I fully get what you are trying to achieve and the point of this thread, and also why you chose lithium batteries.

Keep up the great work and keep sharing. Cheers.

W&KO
9th November 2020, 09:09 PM
All good W&KO. My comment was directed at drivesafe. It seems my own comment went down like a lead balloon....heh heh....sorry about that.

I fully get what you are trying to achieve and the point of this thread, and also why you chose lithium batteries.

Keep up the great work and keep sharing. Cheers.

Cheers....nah all good, just thought you wanted a bit more info.

drivesafe
9th November 2020, 09:12 PM
I currently have 115w panel on my camper (the high end semi flex 4x100w all crapped themselves a while back) and 2x105ah AGMs....

The very reason I enquired about W&KO's power usage and recharging figures.

Regardless of what type of batteries are being used, the same setup would give you the exact same charging capability for lead acid or lithium.

Hence my enquiry, what are you trying to show?

Vern
9th November 2020, 09:16 PM
Its sparked a bit of interest for me too. I've been watching the guys on the patrol pages with lithiums and victron argofet setups, getting over 100amps at idle. Who needs a solar panel at that rate, battery charged in an hour

W&KO
9th November 2020, 09:30 PM
It’s an interesting thread.

Once my second 115w panel goes up I’ll never have an issue.

Hope it’s interesting to someone....just documenting my experience.

I wasn’t keen on giving up space for a second AGM let alone the weight. I did give up a bit of space with the 200ah lithium which utilized some dead space where as a second AGM would have taken valuable space.

It’ll be interesting if the 2 x 120w semi flex panels make the start of the trip..if they continue to perform for the next 18 months than I’ll more than likely fit two mew panels just before we head off. Fall back option is a single ~300w glass panel, although trying to avoid the weight.

When stationary/camped our panels sit at 30+ degree angle, panels sitting flat/horizontal on top of a van would harvest more than what I can.

I have also ditched gas....for induction.

drivesafe
9th November 2020, 09:30 PM
Its sparked a bit of interest for me too. I've been watching the guys on the patrol pages with lithiums and victron argofet setups, getting over 100amps at idle. Who needs a solar panel at that rate, battery charged in an hour
What size alternators are they running?
And what are they using their setups for?

drivesafe
9th November 2020, 10:16 PM
I've been watching the guys on the patrol pages with lithiums and victron argofet setups

BTW Vern, are you aware that these are not suitable for most Euro6 vehicles, like all new Land Rovers, because they can interfere with the vehicle's BMS.

You can use them in new Toyotas, because they are not Euro6 and they can be used in Ford Rangers, because you can turn the Smart alternator function off.

Also note, while these are relatively new to Victron, Sterling Power Products ( UK ) have had similar for quite a few years now, and they go up to 400 amps. But same think, not suitable for most Euro6 Vehicles.

Vern
10th November 2020, 05:14 AM
What size alternators are they running?
And what are they using their setups for?I think the stock alt is 150amps. You can also just unplug the shunt on the new patrols to disconnect the smart alternator function.
Just using as a dual battery system type set up for camping etc..

drivesafe
10th November 2020, 05:37 AM
Thanks Vern, unfortunately no one seems to have come up with a way to get around the Euro6 programming “YET”.

So at this stage, no way to turn off the smart alternator function in any of the European makes at this time.

scarry
10th November 2020, 09:42 AM

There are heaps doing it with under bonnet lithiums.Mainly Jap/Thialand vehicles, although a pic surfaced the other day of a D4 with two lithium 100A under bonnet.

Some use a VSR,that allows both batteries to be used until the main battery voltage drops, similar to the TRAXIDE SC-80 or DT-90 set up.

I have been looking through it for the new car and settled for TRAXIDE set up with DT-90,couldnt justify the extra $1K for Lithium set up.Sure it saves a bit of weight, but in the whole scheme of things its not much at all.

The DT-90 will suit our needs, as the SC-80 did in the D4.

And using lithium under bonnet has not yet been proven.I could have put one in the rear, but wanted it under bonnet.

DiscoMick
10th November 2020, 01:16 PM
It is interesting.
Can I ask how you find the cooktop vs other options? I've looked at them, but don't know the best way to compare them for pros and cons.

Tombie
10th November 2020, 02:42 PM
This is only for reference / comparison.

System currently:
115w Victron panel
75/15 Victron Mppt
2x 105ah AGM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201110/a72271b513c7f225ecb8cb2ebc7f6760.pnghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201110/416c8cbb97e9504bdd22be54b341e1ff.png

W&KO
10th November 2020, 07:40 PM
This is only for reference / comparison.

System currently:
115w Victron panel
75/15 Victron Mppt
2x 105ah AGM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201110/a72271b513c7f225ecb8cb2ebc7f6760.pnghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201110/416c8cbb97e9504bdd22be54b341e1ff.png

Good performance from the panel...and good to see it suit your needs.

Not really a comparison as your system doesn’t suit my specific needs.....i assume you have room and available payload in your van.

My side
No room for 2 x AGM’s (200 lithium probably has less surface area and happen to fit in a deadish space)
Trying to stay away from glass panel amd weight penalty (current semi flex selection are performing better than I expected)
Wanted more storage capacity than my previous 1x105ah AGM with no gain in overall weight (haven’t added it all up but I reckon my new set up would be pretty close to to tie same weight as my old AGM).

Tombie
11th November 2020, 07:56 AM
Absolutely. Your packaging requirements are different.
I would have fitted a Lithium if it had been cost competitive.
I had top end flexible panels initially - 4x 100w and they worked fantastically. I really liked them, and the fact they made no impact to the pop-top weight. Disappointing they failed in under 2 years.

W&KO
21st November 2020, 06:55 PM
Another little test today.......although I wouldn’t normally preheat the oven for 3hrs before throwing dinner in.

Ran the 12v oven from 1:30pm ish to 6:00pm ish which pulls around 10ah and fridge was running as usual, was parked up at cricket.

Battery was at 100% @ 1:30pm

Didn’t take notice when the shadows covered the solar. Either way it performed as it should

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201121/c8ddfe6533814efb30dc743abc897386.pnghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201121/b34e93332f66ed3176a353a088cc56ca.png

At 6pm I was only 22ah down......leaves me 140ah on the bank.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201121/6df87791ed2b03dc147ce8993b086d60.png

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201121/b5938e860f32dd3e5b6dd76a72e421b7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201121/b578df5e8d4773b64c633465d60bde9c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201121/d1910b29b2e81b24db399c65cfc32043.jpg

Hoges
23rd November 2020, 06:46 PM
Received what I thought was a SPAM message from Kogan sales... however curiosity got the better of me[bigwhistle]
An ATEM 200W 12V folding solar panel blanket for $249. 95 and a Volta LiFePO4 100AH battery for $503 or 2 for $958.
The batteries weigh supposedly a shade over 10Kg each. That's a heck of a lot less than an equivalent AGM and at my stage of life is the difference between being portable or needing No 1 son to move it!

Can I have opinions please on whether the solar panel is worth the $ asked and the battery ... a single 100AH would suit all my needs (and my wallet!)
Is Volta a reasonable brand?

DeanoH
23rd November 2020, 07:44 PM
The reason these Voltax batterys are so cheap is because they're garbage. Save your money and buy a decent LiFePO4. The batterys specs are poor from a charge/discharge current viewpoint and any battery that gives a longevity rating of ".. Cycle Life: 2000 times .." should be avoided like the plague. This figure is meaningless without a corresponding depth of discharge figure. A halfway decent LiFePO4 will have specs like this.

Solarking 12V 100ah Lithium Battery- Active Cell Balancing - FREE FREIGHT | eBay (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solarking-12V-100ah-Lithium-Battery-Active-Cell-Balancing-FREE-FREIGHT/324256669456?hash=item4b7f341f10:g:lLgAAOSwl5dfaVO H)

Specs

[*=center]
Dimensions
4x175x219mm

[*=center]
Chemical Lithium Iron LiFePo4

[*=center]
Weight 11.4kgs

[*=center]
Operating Temperature Range:-20°C ~ +60°C

[*=center]
VoltageV :12.8VDC

[*=center]
Amperage :100AH

[*=center]
Max Discharge Rates:1C

[*=center]
Max Continuous Current:100A

[*=center]
Max 10 Second Pulse :150A

[*=center]
Min Charge Current :2A

[*=center]
Nominal Charge Current:30A

[*=center]
Max Charge Current :100A

[*=center]
Max Charge Voltage :14.8V

[*=center]
Cell Balancing :3AH charge & discharge

[*=center]
Cycles @ 100% DOD :2000 Cycles

[*=center]
Cycles@ 80% DOD :3000 Cycles

[*=center]
Cycles@ 50% DOD :3500 Cycles

[*=center]
Cycles@ 30% DOD :8000 Cycles

[*=center]
Low Voltage cut out :10VDC

[*=center]
Maximum In-series voltage :30.4V

[*=center]
Terminal :T8

Note the charge discharge rates and particularly note that depth of discharge % figures are given in relation to cycle life.

Here's the specs for the Voltax 100 ah

Specifications:
Nominal Capacity: 100Ah
Cut-off Voltage: 10V
Usable Capacity: 100Ah
Nominal Voltage: 12.8V
Energy: 1280Wh
Charge Voltage: 14.6V
Discharge cut-off voltage: 10V
Charge Method: CC/CV
Charger: 14.6V20A
Standard Charge Current: 20A
Max. Charge Current: 50A
Standard Discharge Current: 50A
Max. Continues Discharge current: 50A
Max. Discharge Current: 5Seconds 125A
Cycle Life: 2000 times
Internal Impedance: ≤50mΩ
Discharge: -20°C-60°C
Storage Temperature: -10°C-50°C
Working Temperature Range Charge: 0°C-45°C
Size: 329×172×214mm
Weight: 10.1kg

You couldn't give me one of these Voltax batterys for free unless I needed another anchor for the tinny :)

As for the folding solar panel blankets, I've never really been a fan. Bloody fiddly to put up and keep up and very expensive as in $ per watt. I'd be looking at something in a fold-able hard panel for a portable panel.

Here's one I just plucked out of eBay, same 200 watts claimed power as the one you mention, crap reg but a lot better panel value in $ per watt and less than half the price :).

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200W-Folding-Solar-Panel-Kit-12V-Caravan-Camping-Power-Mono-Charging-200Watt/322213581309?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOME SPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200520130048%26meid% 3D9f1e08c20a1645b587cea96ef12b1dcc%26pid%3D100005% 26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D3223443613 55%26itm%3D322213581309%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3 D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithDarwoV3 BBEV2b&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Deano :) (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200W-Folding-Solar-Panel-Kit-12V-Caravan-Camping-Power-Mono-Charging-200Watt/322213581309?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOME SPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200520130048%26meid% 3D9f1e08c20a1645b587cea96ef12b1dcc%26pid%3D100005% 26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D3223443613 55%26itm%3D322213581309%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3 D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithDarwoV3 BBEV2b&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851)

ps. sorry for the crap layout, it's the cut and paste :(

Roverlord off road spares
24th November 2020, 01:31 PM
The reason these Voltax batterys are so cheap is because they're garbage. Save your money and buy a decent LiFePO4. The batterys specs are poor from a charge/discharge current viewpoint and any battery that gives a longevity rating of ".. Cycle Life: 2000 times .." should be avoided like the plague. This figure is meaningless without a corresponding depth of discharge figure. A halfway decent LiFePO4 will have specs like this.

Solarking 12V 100ah Lithium Battery- Active Cell Balancing - FREE FREIGHT | eBay (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solarking-12V-100ah-Lithium-Battery-Active-Cell-Balancing-FREE-FREIGHT/324256669456?hash=item4b7f341f10:g:lLgAAOSwl5dfaVO H)

Specs

[*=center]
Dimensions
4x175x219mm

[*=center]
Chemical Lithium Iron LiFePo4

[*=center]
Weight 11.4kgs

[*=center]
Operating Temperature Range:-20°C ~ +60°C

[*=center]
VoltageV :12.8VDC

[*=center]
Amperage :100AH

[*=center]
Max Discharge Rates:1C

[*=center]
Max Continuous Current:100A

[*=center]
Max 10 Second Pulse :150A

[*=center]
Min Charge Current :2A

[*=center]
Nominal Charge Current:30A

[*=center]
Max Charge Current :100A

[*=center]
Max Charge Voltage :14.8V

[*=center]
Cell Balancing :3AH charge & discharge

[*=center]
Cycles @ 100% DOD :2000 Cycles

[*=center]
Cycles@ 80% DOD :3000 Cycles

[*=center]
Cycles@ 50% DOD :3500 Cycles

[*=center]
Cycles@ 30% DOD :8000 Cycles

[*=center]
Low Voltage cut out :10VDC

[*=center]
Maximum In-series voltage :30.4V

[*=center]
Terminal :T8

Note the charge discharge rates and particularly note that depth of discharge % figures are given in relation to cycle life.

Here's the specs for the Voltax 100 ah

Specifications:
Nominal Capacity: 100Ah
Cut-off Voltage: 10V
Usable Capacity: 100Ah
Nominal Voltage: 12.8V
Energy: 1280Wh
Charge Voltage: 14.6V
Discharge cut-off voltage: 10V
Charge Method: CC/CV
Charger: 14.6V20A
Standard Charge Current: 20A
Max. Charge Current: 50A
Standard Discharge Current: 50A
Max. Continues Discharge current: 50A
Max. Discharge Current: 5Seconds 125A
Cycle Life: 2000 times
Internal Impedance: ≤50mΩ
Discharge: -20°C-60°C
Storage Temperature: -10°C-50°C
Working Temperature Range Charge: 0°C-45°C
Size: 329×172×214mm
Weight: 10.1kg

You couldn't give me one of these Voltax batterys for free unless I needed another anchor for the tinny :)

As for the folding solar panel blankets, I've never really been a fan. Bloody fiddly to put up and keep up and very expensive as in $ per watt. I'd be looking at something in a fold-able hard panel for a portable panel.

Here's one I just plucked out of eBay, same 200 watts claimed power as the one you mention, crap reg but a lot better panel value in $ per watt and less than half the price

Deano :) (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200W-Folding-Solar-Panel-Kit-12V-Caravan-Camping-Power-Mono-Charging-200Watt/322213581309?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOME SPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200520130048%26meid% 3D9f1e08c20a1645b587cea96ef12b1dcc%26pid%3D100005% 26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D3223443613 55%26itm%3D322213581309%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3 D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithDarwoV3 BBEV2b&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851)

ps. sorry for the crap layout, it's the cut and paste :(

oh Deano that's why l effectionately call you Bullwinkel. lol

https://youtu.be/QKeirXHmP4M

W&KO
3rd December 2020, 07:47 AM
Currently on Moreton island for the week......

Haven’t really been watching the performance of the system.

Did gat as low as 48% over night.....104ah, that would have smoked my single 110ah AGM. Lithium has tripled my capacity with no additional weight. I’m now convinced we made the right choice to power our lifestyle on the road. More cooking options, more menus options, don’t need to watch voltages. Cost is a distant memory as it’s all built into our planned 2years on the road.

I notice if we’re fully charged at end of the day and don’t cook we drop to 93% over night. 14ah to run 60L fridge and lights.

Pretty sure we have been at or close to 100% end of each day. We have driven a bit each day sight seeing and the semi flex panels are picking up tie remainder.

Solar harvest last 4 days
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201202/91d9c167dcd7625bff47ca4ea7c76b61.png

Yesterday morning from memory.....it was our turn to cook, was running induction cooktop and 12v oven.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201202/70f564bae18f6375599cb2bc426a5652.png

Bit of induction cook up this morning
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201202/1988858ede817f9def5669488878ffd5.jpg

W&KO
6th December 2020, 07:48 AM
Banana pancakes cost me 11% ~22ah

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201205/2aba3469abfbc8c4b123a3ce7d5fee5a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201205/7547acdbafca768ba764fc5ee6733b7e.jpg

W&KO
6th December 2020, 07:50 AM
Boiling water

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201205/e2c5f6efde052f608c4a80107c013024.pnghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201205/4120eccb106a7a36b768acc277749a3b.jpg

W&KO
4th May 2021, 12:01 PM
The wife went away with a girlfriend over the long weekend.....was a little worried how she’d go about managing onboard power given the forecast was raining and clouds and meals that revolved wrong the induction cooktop.

Must have trained her as she rang and asked about starting the car when the gauge gets to 50%. She was thinking AGM days.

42% on the last morning which is a new low........I see it got a little bit of solar.

Still 80ah up our sleeve 62ah usable.

DiscoMick
17th May 2021, 06:28 PM
Currently on Moreton island for the week......

Haven’t really been watching the performance of the system.

Did gat as low as 48% over night.....104ah, that would have smoked my single 110ah AGM. Lithium has tripled my capacity with no additional weight. I’m now convinced we made the right choice to power our lifestyle on the road. More cooking options, more menus options, don’t need to watch voltages. Cost is a distant memory as it’s all built into our planned 2years on the road.

I notice if we’re fully charged at end of the day and don’t cook we drop to 93% over night. 14ah to run 60L fridge and lights.

Pretty sure we have been at or close to 100% end of each day. We have driven a bit each day sight seeing and the semi flex panels are picking up tie remainder.

Solar harvest last 4 days
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201202/91d9c167dcd7625bff47ca4ea7c76b61.png

Yesterday morning from memory.....it was our turn to cook, was running induction cooktop and 12v oven.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201202/70f564bae18f6375599cb2bc426a5652.png

Bit of induction cook up this morning
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201202/1988858ede817f9def5669488878ffd5.jpgThat's good information thanks. We're looking at 200amps lithium with Enerdrive gear, so your experience is very relevant.

Don 130
17th May 2021, 07:49 PM
I got an email today with this offer. I've got the link from the webpage.

Baintech 12V 50Ah Freedom Power Pack with Victron Blue Smart IP65 Charger (https://www.autoelec.com.au/baintech-12v-50ah-freedom-power-pack-with-victron)

Don.

drivesafe
17th May 2021, 09:15 PM
Hi Don, like most lithium battery ads, there is virtually no reliable specs on the battery.

Specs like can the battery be cycled down to 100% DoD or only down to 80% which would mean the battery is only good for 40Ah of usable power.

Also would be nice to know how many cycles the battery is capable of.

Tombie
17th May 2021, 09:33 PM
Extrapolating from the other units.

2,000 cycles at 80%dod

drivesafe
18th May 2021, 06:05 AM
Extrapolating from the other units.

2,000 cycles at 80%dod
Thanks Tombie, that is the case if they have used the same lithium cells?

It would also mean the battery is only good for 40Ah, making it a rather small battery pack.

Again, the problem is a lack of specs, to be able to know what one is actually buying.

W&KO
18th May 2021, 06:21 AM
I got an email today with this offer. I've got the link from the webpage.

Baintech 12V 50Ah Freedom Power Pack with Victron Blue Smart IP65 Charger (https://www.autoelec.com.au/baintech-12v-50ah-freedom-power-pack-with-victron)

Don.

I’m all sorted and very happy with equipment installed and performance.

Wouldn’t go back to lead acid/AGM and/or for future installs. Currently researching lithium starter [emoji54]

Purpose of thread was to show what I selected and report some real life experiences using the solution daily while touring in the hope it’d help other.

W&KO
3rd October 2021, 06:46 AM
System is in good shape this morning………For our road trip.

Although we are hoping to camp at a pub tonight so good chance the induction cooktop will not be required.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211002/6d7cd1f8933871bfcdae213463dfc730.jpg

ozscott
3rd October 2021, 07:53 AM
I had a very good trip to Big Wei Battery at Moss St the other day. Small family business who build the batteries on site in front of you. Mr Wei worked in one of China's leading lithium battery cell factories in China and buys his cells from there. Impressively they know all the specs and use nice BMS and do not try to suggest they are drop in replacements...they note the battery will never perform and live as long as designed without a proper lithium charger. Best prices anywhere and nicely made batteries with leading cells. Cheers

drivesafe
3rd October 2021, 09:36 AM
Hi Scott and if a lithium battery is a genuine Drop-In, it can offer some interesting advantages over DC/DC setup, if the isolator has lithium friendly charging functions.

Each unto his own, but where the lithium is to be used in a vehicle, my experience has found that a Drop-In would be a better choice.

W&KO
3rd October 2021, 12:53 PM
I had a very good trip to Big Wei Battery at Moss St the other day. Small family business who build the batteries on site in front of you. Mr Wei worked in one of China's leading lithium battery cell factories in China and buys his cells from there. Impressively they know all the specs and use nice BMS and do not try to suggest they are drop in replacements...they note the battery will never perform and live as long as designed without a proper lithium charger. Best prices anywhere and nicely made batteries with leading cells. Cheers

I might pop down…..amd stick my nose in

Drop are only relatively new…….DCS popped a video up the other day of there latest battery

For my starter I’m tempted to install a lithium starter but…….. me thinks I’ll just keep install a new lead acid the week before we leave on our upcoming 2 year trip.

More than happy with the performance of my lithium setup…….would never go back AGM’s for house batteries.

scarry
3rd October 2021, 02:26 PM
I might pop down…..amd stick my nose in

Drop are only relatively new…….DCS popped a video up the other day of there latest battery

For my starter I’m tempted to install a lithium starter but…….. me thinks I’ll just keep install a new lead acid the week before we leave on our upcoming 2 year trip.

More than happy with the performance of my lithium setup…….would never go back AGM’s for house batteries.

DCS now have a 130A/hr,same physical size as the 100A/hr,for use in vehicles.

I know a guy out Bundamba way that fits 100's of them,if you want his details,PM me.

ozscott
3rd October 2021, 08:37 PM
Hi Scott and if a lithium battery is a genuine Drop-In, it can offer some interesting advantages over DC/DC setup, if the isolator has lithium friendly charging functions.

Each unto his own, but where the lithium is to be used in a vehicle, my experience has found that a Drop-In would be a better choice.Thanks Dave. I didn't mention it in my post but the Lithium 100ah i bought is for the bow of my boat. Managed to drop 23kg there which is handy in a 4.5m tinny. It is for my Minn Kota trolling motor. Cheers

drivesafe
3rd October 2021, 08:46 PM
Thanks Dave. I didn't mention it in my post but the Lithium 100ah i bought is for the bow of my boat. Managed to drop 23kg there which is handy in a 4.5m tinny. It is for my Minn Kota trolling motor. Cheers
Thanks Scott and a different situation there.

I take it you charge that battery either at home before and after a trip, or use a DC/DC to charge while on the move.

The reason I bought up the Drop-ins is because they remove the need for slower charging DC/DC setups, but in your case, this is probably irrelevant.

ozscott
3rd October 2021, 09:08 PM
Thanks Scott and a different situation there.

I take it you charge that battery either at home before and after a trip, or use a DC/DC to charge while on the move.

The reason I bought up the Drop-ins is because they remove the need for slower charging DC/DC setups, but in your case, this is probably irrelevant.Yes mate charge at home. The output from the rotor and stator in the flywheel of my 2 stroke doesn't put out enough grunt to bother with and the 100ah on a 54lb MK with its neat power use means I can comfortably use the motor all day and charge at night. Cheers

ozscott
3rd October 2021, 10:04 PM
Just been looking at the DCS site for drop in replacements. Incredibly expensive. The 100ah marine are over twice the cost of the Big Wei jobbie. I still don't know what about the BMS or cells make a drop in battery...if anyone can tell me I would be grateful. Cheers

W&KO
4th October 2021, 07:25 AM
The dishwasher is pulling some amps this morning…..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211003/c87518084da507edf84b9312c5b10d16.png

W&KO
4th October 2021, 07:36 AM
Just like range anxiety in electic cars there is always comments online about induction cooktop being too power hungry, burning capacity, destroying batteries.

Water for 2 cuppa’s and and the dishes cost me 3%…….if we were parked facing East I’d say we’d have the 3% back before we even drive off……

Think we’ve made the right call ditching gas for our lap.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211003/b158973dcb9ff2a0d12717c7db39f590.png

W&KO
4th October 2021, 10:05 AM
And……….back to 100% 50 ish minutes

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211004/1c55e97ef5f6e6e65813f1166694e36e.png

W&KO
29th October 2021, 06:24 PM
Stumbled across this guys reviewing gas and induction cooking…..

Pretty much covers the reasons we switched away from gas..

INDUCTION COOKING & Camping | Is it sustainable | Electric vs Gas | Overland Cooktop | Pots&Pans - YouTube (https://youtu.be/ImNbqgwqjvs)

Homestar
30th October 2021, 06:20 AM
What is your setup like to run induction cooking? Been tossing this around in my head but there’s nothing like real world setups and experience. Battery size, inverter size and type, etc?

TIA [emoji106]

W&KO
30th October 2021, 06:39 AM
What is your setup like to run induction cooking? Been tossing this around in my head but there’s nothing like real world setups and experience. Battery size, inverter size and type, etc?

TIA [emoji106]

It’s mentioned through out the thread….in summary

We’ve been testing the set up for two years on weekend away and a couple of 7 and 14 trips. We are extremely limited on space.

200ah battery
40amp DC-DC
2000w inverter

Wife is gong to cook a lentil curry today over 2hr period to see how the simmer goes for extended time as it cycles on/off between 0 and 1000w

ozscott
30th October 2021, 07:11 AM

TIA [emoji106]Mate St Pierre White has a very recent video testing induction on Lithium with amp hours measured etc. Cheers. PS. Just looked at the vid posted a few posts above and that is a lot more detailed than ASPW 's but his uses more basic equipment. Cheers

W&KO
30th October 2021, 08:12 AM
Mate St Pierre White has a very recent video testing induction on Lithium with amp hours measured etc. Cheers. PS. Just looked at the vid posted a few posts above and that is a lot more detailed than ASPW 's but his uses more basic equipment. Cheers

While I cannot stand ASPW I thought I’d amuse myself and go watch the video…….

Based on 2 years with my set up he is over complicating the setup…..on his simple/back to basics setup…..but just like his failed 79 build he is just throwing stuff at this build that he doesn’t really need.

but I see he has badgered the market and got some sponsorship. I see he has dropped amptron and Renogy, I think that who he used to promote. So I guess while it’s not costing you anything throw it in but he is not really doing a build for his subscribers.

I’m doing everything he wishes to do. We’d easily cook the same meals using less power than that manged to consume…..

And he didn’t really show/share actual power consumption. We didn’t see the end percentage after breakfast and fridge running all night, they also used a microwave (to cook a pie [emoji51] of all things)

Oh he didn’t explain the other 1/2 of his hybrid system……given the size of his electrical build he defiantly doesn’t need gas.

Yep, as you mention, the other video is way more informative using way less equipment…….

I’ve certainly learnt a lot in my journey…….getting a better handle on it now.

Just confirm how useless his video are….considering he is self proclaimed overland expert.

Vern
30th October 2021, 04:07 PM
Safiery do a lot of good stuff these days with lithium, induction cookers, victron gear etc....worth a look.

Homestar
30th October 2021, 04:38 PM
Mate St Pierre White has a very recent video testing induction on Lithium with amp hours measured etc. Cheers. PS. Just looked at the vid posted a few posts above and that is a lot more detailed than ASPW 's but his uses more basic equipment. Cheers

Well that’s a video I’ll never get to see… [emoji56]

Tombie
31st October 2021, 01:39 AM
Are you using electric for HWS?

W&KO
22nd January 2022, 06:02 PM
Kicking back at a campsite…..

Arrived at 11am, now 6pm, been cloudy and raining on and off all afternoon.

Semi flex solar has kept up and ensuring we’re at 100% at the end of the day…..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220122/ff17a131c4e28924deaaae0a12324029.png
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220122/ef515f4e081921b012c18bc91ad78749.png
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220122/a887cf9a0a2b465bc570a0f3a35e3dbc.png

Oh and nice and dry under the new awning……oh and da two solar panels on the roof
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220122/2dfdff80c3cf3f50dfc045ae236fffc3.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220122/bcd939a3a2d703e249dab9c61b441518.jpg

86mud
25th January 2022, 01:39 PM
great set up Weeds.

W&KO
9th February 2022, 05:32 PM
With less than six weeks until departure it’s time to install some new solar panels……

The current flexible panels are doing fine with 3-4 years service and in full sun everyday. If only they were still available.

I have 3 new ones on order, hopefully they arrive in time. 3 x 120’s will certainly keep the lithium battery topped up given we will be demanding a bit more from it.

I was up close and personal with the existing ones today……at first glance they were looking a little tired.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220209/ede16097bf822b76134d736cfe550703.jpg

But the controller suggests differently

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220209/9a81a865f856a961e77a0b5d20f8246c.png

W&KO
8th March 2022, 05:52 PM
New solar panels have arrived……..

3 x 120’s

Just waiting on the 2nd box with some connectors and I assume the core flute and double sided tape.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220308/b981b3047719efefebc1877f81288f42.jpg

Tombie
8th March 2022, 06:58 PM
Those flexible panels [emoji22] best thing I did was
Throw the 4x100w ones away.

Replaced by 2x115w Victron

Far more efficient.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220308/46b26ddd42c302e37326e06881bdff01.jpg

W&KO
9th March 2022, 02:51 AM

Far more efficient.

There’s a reason why I’m sticking with flex panels…which I think I explain prior….

I’m not sure how your screen shot shows your panels are more efficient than mine?

Re: efficiency, my existing seem efficient based on my knowledge

I have posted plenty of screen shots like yours showing performance and I reckon they’re doing pretty good…at times punching out more watts than panel is rated, similar to your screen shot. Based on that the only down fall I see is the the size of the panels for the wattage, watts for square meter if that’s a thing. If the new panels can punch out 300 + watts in ideal conditions than I’ll be happy.

More than happy with my approach for the time being and the upcoming trip.

W&KO
9th March 2022, 03:30 AM

Far more efficient.

Sooo, im scratching my head around ‘efficiencies’ a quick comparison between your panels and my new ones…..keep in mind I’m far from an expert but I don’t see a lot of differences,

price aside as I’m paying nearly double the price and life expectancy, this has been factored into the two year trip, if the fall over the day after we finish than I’m not worried.

I get
More watts per square meter and
saving in weight.
Lower profile

My existing panels produce close enough to what they are spec’d to in relation to watts……we are both using a Victron controller therefore assume everything would be equal in amps produced? Does a glass panel produce more volts compared to a semi flex in the same environment??

My panels are not mounted direct to roof with core flute, they are mounted to a roof rack…..

If these new panels perform as good as spec’d than I don’t see any ‘efficiency’ issues.

Please point out if I have gotten something wrong in my comparison above, I’m learning more and more each time I make a change in my system and/or through using the system.

Way back when i first tried semi flex I brought some cheap panels, sure these didn’t perform or last, but I learnt from real testing…….but I’ve been happy with the existing and hopefully be happy with the new panels.

Not sure that I really needed to upgrade to three panels, we’ll probably be working the battery over more being full time on the road. I am tempted to ditch the solar blanket.

Far more efficient?? I’ll report back when we’re on the road.

Victron

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220308/04918d5f717f06347db91b86ec116a67.png

Allspark
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220308/2e0bf1d8a1952a2f54e542cb0d5ba62b.png

W&KO
9th March 2022, 03:47 AM
I’m thinking screen shot of the graphs showing the amount of solar harvesting along with max. Watts/volts tells part of the picture.

I’ll start taking more screenshots off below as it shows amps going in against watts

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220308/573207fbac3ba405b6373f4db323f074.png

Tombie
9th March 2022, 10:32 AM
Agree I certainly had some weight changes going to 2 framed/glass set ups

I had 4 like you and they started to fade just like yours are - not long after 2 failed to generate at all.

The 2 Victron units seems to just harvest far more effectively - I’m getting significantly more daily with just the 2x115w panels than I ever generated with the 4x100w

When it’s hot, also not seeing the downrating occurring as they heat up.

Tombie
9th March 2022, 10:46 AM
Today (11:15) average cool day.

Panels facing away from the sun (flat mounted, Van face up North) so -10° inclination

Fridge / Freezer running 2°/-10° 24/7

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220309/f7dcf9ba6cc4d014854fe9b3a5afa191.jpg

Tombie
9th March 2022, 01:50 PM
460wh harvested since 8:00am
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220309/395c357a6d4eb0d9cbee4563b8e9c15a.jpg

W&KO
16th March 2022, 08:55 PM
Changed the name of my battery today…..exciting update eh

Apparently the instructions are in the manual.

W&KO
21st March 2022, 08:58 PM
Yesterday I removed the old panels…….I surprised they were producing anything let alone close to the spec on the back

The had a nice thin film off baked on dirt, I had never cleaned them so not surprised

And when I put an pressure on the cells or flexed them slightly there was crunching noises.

An example of the output around a week ago

And some pics of the old panels that were still punching out good numbers
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220321/a434618635e657e415cabef075538120.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220321/b363d778d790ebc980fe945e888e2d8d.png
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220321/32ae28b0351370a4b17706b9779c61f5.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220321/4d19efe87cdc1d04f7cb9673644ee56d.jpg

W&KO
21st March 2022, 09:04 PM
3 x 120’s went on yesterday…..

Had to wait til today to get the final MC4 connector as one wasn’t quite right.

It’ll be interesting to see if they perform……a little hard to tell from today as even though I was at 52% I was doing a lot of driving early in the day.

Based on the screen shot below I was expecting a little better performance.

Time will tell……..it what we are running for road trip for the next 18 months

Topped out at 190w today. One panel is hard up against the storage bag so I guess it won’t be seeing the sun a lot of the time.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220321/efafc66e6ffba6df14a33421df809982.png

Tombie
22nd March 2022, 10:25 AM
Hopefully they’ll do well for you.

My ‘still not sitting at a good angle’ camper is still humming along

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220322/8615114a6aaed79defc4d5d5c2637ece.jpg

W&KO
22nd March 2022, 11:05 AM
Encouraging number on day 2…

Panels Facing East at about 25 degrees

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220322/fb70804adebc8cf4af41d9c66d1f649f.png

Tombie
22nd March 2022, 04:40 PM
That’s looking better [emoji6]

W&KO
22nd March 2022, 05:45 PM
312w from 3 x 120w semi flex panels.

I’m happy enough with that……assuming it’s repeatable.

I did manage to ding one during installation [emoji22]

Managed to get to float and 100%, had MacBook running off inverter most of the day along with modem running off USB, plus the fridge freezer

Plenty in the tank for some induction cooking….
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220322/4b5d7771f47a2223bf116b70c1d295b7.png

W&KO
21st April 2022, 12:22 PM
21 days into our lap…….and

Thought I’d have a looksee at the history as I’ve barely been bothered to check SoC.

The only regular check I do is a quick check to confirm DC-DC is doing its things each we hit the road….

The only history I can look at is the Victron solar controller, which is a fairly basic way of looking at the system.

Either way there has only been 2 days when the solar controller hasn’t gone into float……however battery is generally showing 100% SoC at some stage during absorption like today….

I did spot the SoC at 62% one morning.

Highest Solar output so far has been 290w….but mostly in the low 200’s

So far, the upgrade to lithium seems to be working just fine….ye olde AGM’s are a distance memory.

As we get more into the trip we will be doing more multiple days parked up which will test our storage capacity.

DeanoH
21st April 2022, 09:44 PM
Hi W&KO and good to see you're finally "off" :) I've been following your electrical build with some interest and what I find really interesting is that although our vehicles and electrical requirements are very different our electrical build is very similar.

Oka 413 has a 200 ah LiFePO4 'house battery' (2 X 100 ah) and 2 solar panels with a stated capacity of 220 watts each though like most (all) eBay solar panels grossly overstated. I would suggest 160 watts would be a more realistic 'best case' figure for a theoretical maximum of 320 watts. The most I've ever seen is 260 watts. There's a Votronic 430 watt MPPT controller and a 30 amp Votronic DC DC converter both with Lithium profiles. A Victron 240 volt 30 amp (Lithium) charger and a Victron 500 watt inverter rounds out main hardware. A Victron BMV 702 with Bluetooth dongle provides monitoring of battery SOC and voltages.

As I said, hardware wise very similar to your Landy setup although the only load on the house battery is a very efficient EvaKool 146 litre upright fridge/freezer (50 watts) and the only use for the inverter is the Stihl chainsaw battery charger.

We gave LPG away several years ago as it was just too hard. Bottle filling/change over/dust in jets and regulator issues when on the road was just a PITA :( The best thing we ever did was ditch the LPG and go with a metho yacht style 2 burner stove. We have a butane disposable cartridge stove as backup and inside use but bloody useless when below around 10 degrees C. Not for everyone but simple, well built with cheap and readily available fuel, slower than gas to boil water (flat out) but always works :)
I gave induction cooking a look but the current/power levels required and the dimensioning/build put me off as did the inherent power losses when running 1-2 Kw appliances from 12 volts.

A close look at 'The Cook' will show that she is cooking with a large frying pan, a medium sized pot, a kettle and a small frying pan all at the same time on our 2 burner metho stove. This would be impossible to do on an induction stove as by their very nature all heat is inside the pot so slow cooking/simmering 'on the side' would not work. Kaye's disappointment and frustration at being unable to simultaneously cook three courses at the same time would be most profound and it would be very unfair of me to subject her to this torment :) Seriously though, Kaye enjoys the challenge of cooking complex (to me) meals on our two burner stove so (for us) an induction cook-top would be a major backward step.

Keep up the commentary when you can, a very interesting and informative thread.

Deano :)

W&KO
22nd April 2022, 05:41 AM
Hi W&KO and good to see you're finally "off" :) I've been following your electrical build with some interest and what I find really interesting is that although our vehicles and electrical requirements are very different our electrical build is very similar.

Oka 413 has a 200 ah LiFePO4 'house battery' (2 X 100 ah) and 2 solar panels with a stated capacity of 220 watts each though like most (all) eBay solar panels grossly overstated. I would suggest 160 watts would be a more realistic 'best case' figure for a theoretical maximum of 320 watts. The most I've ever seen is 260 watts. There's a Votronic 430 watt MPPT controller and a 30 amp Votronic DC DC converter both with Lithium profiles. A Victron 240 volt 30 amp (Lithium) charger and a Victron 500 watt inverter rounds out main hardware. A Victron BMV 702 with Bluetooth dongle provides monitoring of battery SOC and voltages.

As I said, hardware wise very similar to your Landy setup although the only load on the house battery is a very efficient EvaKool 146 litre upright fridge/freezer (50 watts) and the only use for the inverter is the Stihl chainsaw battery charger.

We gave LPG away several years ago as it was just too hard. Bottle filling/change over/dust in jets and regulator issues when on the road was just a PITA :( The best thing we ever did was ditch the LPG and go with a metho yacht style 2 burner stove. We have a butane disposable cartridge stove as backup and inside use but bloody useless when below around 10 degrees C. Not for everyone but simple, well built with cheap and readily available fuel, slower than gas to boil water (flat out) but always works :)
I gave induction cooking a look but the current/power levels required and the dimensioning/build put me off as did the inherent power losses when running 1-2 Kw appliances from 12 volts.

A close look at 'The Cook' will show that she is cooking with a large frying pan, a medium sized pot, a kettle and a small frying pan all at the same time on our 2 burner metho stove. This would be impossible to do on an induction stove as by their very nature all heat is inside the pot so slow cooking/simmering 'on the side' would not work. Kaye's disappointment and frustration at being unable to simultaneously cook three courses at the same time would be most profound and it would be very unfair of me to subject her to this torment :) Seriously though, Kaye enjoys the challenge of cooking complex (to me) meals on our two burner stove so (for us) an induction cook-top would be a major backward step.

Keep up the commentary when you can, a very interesting and informative thread.

Deano :)

We are getting very good at one pot meals……we just don’t have the space.

There are times I’d like a second induction cooktop, but it’s not often at all.

Hopefully the info helps others……..I’m far from an expert can post real life testing and use and what I see on instrumentation.

When we are parked up for a few days I’ll get a better idea.

Narangga
4th May 2022, 07:46 PM
Banana pancakes cost me 11% ~22ah

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201205/2aba3469abfbc8c4b123a3ce7d5fee5a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201205/7547acdbafca768ba764fc5ee6733b7e.jpg

First time I've ever seen anybody do as we do :clap2:

Have certainly enjoyed reading the thread and following you exploits with it all.

W&KO
15th May 2022, 05:13 PM
Sooooo………how’s the system actually performing in the top of aus now that we have slowed up a bit and not driving as much.

Well we are getting by…..last two days we didn’t get back to 100% [emoji2369]

First day only got back to 75% and the second back to 85%, this included a small drive to a new camp site that had better access to the sun for harvesting.

The second day we might not have used induction but did you the travel Buddy oven to cook pizzas….not quite as punishing on the battery capacity.

We pretty much only cook one meal a day on the induction cooktop……..which can consume anywhere upto 20%

Things that are different from all the testing I did at home.

We are now running the fridge as a fridge/freezer, previously we only ran it as a fridge….this mean the fridge is cycling more

Day temps are higher, haven’t been below 30 degrees during the day, closer to 40 than 30 therefore fridge is working harder

Night time temps are also higher, again fridge is cycling more often, we know this as we literally sleep right above the compressor.

With the higher night temps we are now running a 12v fan all night…

Charging more devices, camera and laptop mainly.

May need to purchase a solar blanket…time will tell given to gifted our solar blanket to no. 1 son in an effort to save space.

I fitted a 3rd semi flex solar panel but it gets shaded by the bag we have strapped to the roof, maybe normal fixed panels would perform better.

Still happy we ditched gas…

W&KO
29th May 2022, 03:24 PM
A little update…….

When I posted the previous update we had noticed the fridge was cycling on longer…..

Well this continued to get longer and longer and than fridge wasn’t pulling down to -14

Turns out I should read owners manual 4 years ago when I purchased the fridge.

Anyways one should clean the condenser…….as per instructions, always it a mission to remove the fridge.

Big shout out to Flick refrigeration on Kununurra for squeezing us into their fully booked day. They also installed a connection so that pressures can be checked in the future.

Fridge is now back to cycling as it always has…..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220529/774ed6ab185502c1f2acd015e5daf7db.jpg

scarry
30th May 2022, 08:10 AM
A little update…….

They also installed a connection so that pressures can be checked in the future.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220529/774ed6ab185502c1f2acd015e5daf7db.jpg

Got a picture of the connection?
Some types like to leak later on.

W&KO
30th May 2022, 08:20 AM

Hmm, no

It a mission and a 1/2 to remove the fridge, when I give it a clean later this year I’ll take a pic.

After cleaning they turned it on to test, apparantly the amps either dropped or were going up and down, they thought it might have been sort on gas due to a leak. So they installed a connection only to confirm it was full of gas. Amps settle while cycling on for the next four hours under test.

W&KO
5th July 2022, 09:33 AM

Houston we have a problem…..

Will have a pic of the valve soon

W&KO
5th July 2022, 10:29 AM

Didn’t get a pic, will have to wait till the tech pulls it apart…

He is thinking they might have used a piecing valve, think that what he called it……based on the guy in Kununurra telling me the fridge didn’t need any gas. The guy today said you cannot put a proper valve in without dumping the gas.

scarry
5th July 2022, 10:42 AM
Didn’t get a pic, will have to wait till the tech pulls it apart…

He is thinking they might have used a piecing valve, think that what he called it……based on the guy in Kununurra telling me the fridge didn’t need any gas. The guy today said you cannot put a proper valve in without dumping the gas.

Yes,this guy knows what he is on about,the Bullet Piercing Valve is for testing only,should never be left on the system.
They love to leak.
A quality Schroder valve needs to be soldered into the low side of the system.
Anyway,hopefully it’s all sorted this time.

W&KO
5th July 2022, 10:58 AM

Hmm, I’m guessing this is a pinching valve??

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220705/dfb59c3fc0ccc22402853b5991b0d2aa.jpg

scarry
5th July 2022, 11:48 AM
Yes,thats a Bullet Piercing Valve.

Pierces the copper pipe so the pressure can be tested,using the 1/4 flare port which is capped on the pic.

W&KO
19th November 2022, 04:41 PM
After hightailing it from Broome to Perth I’ve notice the solar, semi flex panels, working a whole lot better, they seem to be enjoying the cooler weather.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221119/280804d1e7519007dc99d83a05e52294.png