PDA

View Full Version : Motorola SYNTRX

George130
6th June 2006, 06:13 PM
Anyone have any views on these units?

waynep
12th June 2006, 04:50 PM
Quite old now. They were a commercial radio, not a CB, although they could be programmed to CB freqs. It was one of the first radios to have all the controls on the microphone. The Transmit power was max 25 Watts but must be set to 5 Watts for CB to be legal. Production stopped about 1990 and they can't get parts for em' anymore. Unless you get it for next to zero $ and it is already programmed on all the CB channels I would tend to go for something else.

langy
14th June 2006, 03:25 PM
In addition to the above: If it's already programmed and a freebie ( or close to it) then the syntrex is a good thing - untill you break somthing. Not the radio per se, but connectors, control heads and programs are very hard to find. If you have a mate who's a tech - fine. If you want a commercial rig to use on CB (477mhz)try these : a Philips PRM80 in Uw band, Standard Tx2000, Tait 2015 /2020 in 450 -520 band ( ie 2020-6XX-XXX) and even Kenwood ( which turn up every now and then). Rugged and very easy to program. Plenty of parts and everybody knows how to fix them. Philips FM900 /FM92 are older than the Syntrex, and are even more tempermental. PRM80's occasionally have probs with capacitors, but are easy fixed. Motorola's are OK - if you know somebody to program them. Otherwise can be costly. My pick - Tait 2020's. Only discontinued a couple of years ago, modular design, easy to reprog and easy make your own prog cable, and software on the net. Depending on age (series I /II) the're worth up to $250 for a remote head version.

Langy

George130
14th June 2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks guys. The motolola was on E-bay and has now sold so I will just be keeping my eye out for something else. Was alo watching Tait.

waynep
15th June 2006, 07:01 AM
Personally I wouldn't be buying any second hand communications gear without a full specification check by a reputable shop with the right test equipment. That's probably gonna cost 60-100 smackeroos and narrows the gap to a new one.

As langy said, modified commercial radios are OK if you have access to a friendly tech with programming software and test gear, but otherwise it's probably better to stick with the purpose built CB radios. GME and Uniden are a couple of good brands.