PDA

View Full Version : UHF Radio: GME TX3400 OR Uniden UH015

LRHybrid100
9th June 2006, 02:23 PM
G'day Guys,

The Rangie really needs a vehicle based UHF and currently looking at package details with Presteige Communications http://www.prestigecom.net.au/

Currently looking at either GME TX3400 ($449) OR Uniden UH015 ($405) both are delivered package deals including:

What’s in the pack?

1X GME Electrophone TX3400 or Uniden UH015
1x Microphone & bracket
1X Radio mounting Bracket
1X Control Head mounting bracket
1X 2m Interface Cable
1X User Manual
1X Power Lead
1X 6db Stainless Steel Ground Independant Antenna
1X Coaxial Lead Assembly

With the GME you can program 10 extra channels into the receive only channels - is this needed?

What are you opinions on these Makes / Models from experience?

THX in advance for your advise

LRH

JamesH
9th June 2006, 02:50 PM
I have a TX3400 and it works really well for me. I know more people with GME but I have not heard any bad things about Uniden. Both sell a lot of radios in Oz

The 3400 has a remote head kit which works better for my Defender. The face panel (head) is screwed outside the centre box near the gear stick but the main body is inside the centre storage box. If you don't decide to use that option (ie install it as a complete unit under the dash or in a spare radio cassette hole) then I wonder if you need to get the TX3400 - you might get away with a cheaper model with all other features. Other may know why the TX3400 is a better unit apart from this facility.

If you do have the head piece under the dash or on the tranmission tunne etc and the main unit moved away somewhere less obtrusive - don't move it too far as the speaker is in the main unit. Mine is in the cubby box and you pretty much need to leave box open to hear it properly.

Hope this helps

ciapek
9th June 2006, 03:30 PM
I got the TX from Prestige, about 3 years ago, has been running sweet and with no problems whatsoever with a 6.5dB RFI whip antenna up front.
I did get the 10 extra channels for I think extra $15.00 and yes you do pick up good clean reception, but I must say that the novelty wore off quite quickly....
I also have the remote head at the front of the cubby box, but I have put the base on the back of the cubby.
The only "hassle" that I had with the radio, was that the Defender tends to be a little too loud for the stock speaker(which is now facing rear of the vehicle), so I ran an external speaker(mono 3.5 mm plug is in the base of the unit)and mounted it onto the fuse box cover in front of the gear leaver, and now all is well.....
Good solid radio.........

VladTepes
9th June 2006, 03:31 PM
or get a remote speaker thrown into the deal too.

I have a GME and am very happy with it, and it's Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi !!!

stusgonesailing
9th June 2006, 03:57 PM
I agree with Vlad,

I was once the service manager for a two way comms company. We were agents for both Uniden & GME and unless there have been major changes the Uniden after sales support is woefull. The GME is a great product with exellent support from GME if there is a problem. In saying that i saw about 2-3 GME's in for repair in 2 years but lost count of the Unidens
based on history with both companies I have had a TX3400 for years with no hassles

altech
9th June 2006, 04:36 PM
the UHF radio that I have is a ICOM PRO400 for $400 , which has 40 normal channels plus 80 extra channels RX & TX on ,That you can program yourself or buy a cable for $60 bucks and do it on the PC , and other thing I like this radio is the 3 power outputs 1w ,5w then 25w ,so its good to have power when you need it . :-) , cheers4now alex

Omaroo
9th June 2006, 05:13 PM
I have a spare, new-ish TX3400 that I might be persuaded to part with. I don't necessarily need both of mine.....

one_iota
9th June 2006, 06:10 PM
I have a Uniden...have had it for over five years now without issue.

So the only advice that I can offer is to ensure that the aerial coax cable is 5m long and not 3m.

LRH how and where are you mounting the aerial and does it come with a spring base?

amtravic1
9th June 2006, 07:22 PM
Look at the Icom. You will not find a better radio and it is easily programed to put out up to 25 watts plus transmit and receive on many other channels.
The GME is a good product made or designed in Aussie. I have owned Uniden radios in the past and they are reliable but dont seem to have the same quality transmit and receive as GME.
I bought an Icom package from Prestige a few years ago and found thier service very good.
If you buy an Icom you can buy a programming cable for about $60.00 from ebay etc and download the software for free.

one_iota
9th June 2006, 07:27 PM
Look at the Icom. You will not find a better radio and it is easily programed to put out up to 25 watts plus transmit and receive on many other channels.

For CB radios the maximum legal transmit output without a licence is 5 watts and within the prescribed frequency bands.

DEFENDERZOOK
9th June 2006, 08:57 PM
the UHF radio that I have is a ICOM PRO400 for $400 , which has 40 normal channels plus 80 extra channels RX & TX on ,That you can program yourself or buy a cable for $60 bucks and do it on the PC , and other thing I like this radio is the 3 power outputs 1w ,5w then 25w ,so its good to have power when you need it . :-) , cheers4now alex

is this constant 25w......
i heard a bit of talk that it starts transmitting at 25w to get over everything/everyone to access the repeater.....
then drops the power back to 5w.....
im just curious if this is true or not.....

the icom pro400 is one of the most sought after radios among truckies....
they are on the things every day...so they must know quality and reliabilty better than most....
and the features it has....i have not seen any other radio match them....

RobHay
9th June 2006, 09:14 PM
Get them to throw in the PC cable and a licence.

LRHybrid100
9th June 2006, 10:29 PM
Icom IC-400Pro & 6db GI Antenna Package is also available for $432.50

LRH

amtravic1
10th June 2006, 06:54 AM
I wont say that my Icom is set at 25 watts. The power is selecable at up to 25 watts constant. If you read the bulletin boards some people are pushing up to 35 watts.
I will say that there is no way anyone will know what power you are using. You can talk to someone in the car right in front and all sounds normal however being able to select 25 watts if required is very usefull.
I tend to not use a radio for general chat. Usually go away by myself or with 1 or 2 trusted freinds who know what they are doing and I hate radio chat all the time.
As far as I know in an emergency you are permitted to use any frequency at any power output in able to get help.

By the way, a proper antenna set up will give you better range and reception than a large power output. I use a small quarter wave antenna in the centre of the roof which is almost unnoticeable and get far better reception and distance than anyone I know with bull bar mounted antenna.

Ian

crump
10th June 2006, 07:32 AM
I have a spare, new-ish TX3400 that I might be persuaded to part with. I don't necessarily need both of mine.....

mmmm, do tell ?:question:

Utemad
10th June 2006, 11:00 AM
I used to work in a shop that sold car audio but we also were a GME dealer. We didn't sell Uniden but we would try and repair anything that came our way.
Having said that we had heaps of Unidens in for repair and very few GMEs. The only GME repairs I can remember were for replacement microphones.
I wouldn't pay money for a Uniden car unit although I have some of the cheapy Uniden hand helds.

I had a Tx4400 in my Rodeo. Mainly for the big screen and front mounted speaker. I wanted the extra features initially but didn't use most of them in 5 years to be honest.

landrovermick
10th June 2006, 04:07 PM
I have a 3400 which i got for a bargain price of one of the blokes on this site .... maybe bushie if memory serves me correct - they were from the RFS and near new in condition - it does me for all my needs

Mick

Slunnie
10th June 2006, 04:22 PM
I've had the TX3400 for years now and it has been an excellent unit. With the body mounted under the dash it does have to get turned up a bit though. The best part about this unit is the box doesn't clutter up the dash and make it look untidy. The GME aerials seem good also, the 4700 series are strong, and the AE409L transmits well also.

For work we use the Icom handhelds, which have been going strong for years - a great little 5W handheld, though the aerials can be kiddie vulnerable.

Slunnie
10th June 2006, 04:28 PM
There is a fella up the road from me (or at least he used to be) and is in one of the best high points in the NW of Sydney to broadcast. I don't recall how much power he TX/RX with, but when he talks, all of Sydney and way beyond on that channel listens. He used to make the truckies wild with his John Laws type personality.

PhilipA
10th June 2006, 06:23 PM
I have had a Uniden UH011? for 14 years now in 2 cars.
It has never missed a beat. I guess its like Engel.
Regards Philip A

LRHybrid100
13th September 2006, 09:27 AM
Right I going to get a GME TX3400 from http://www.prestigecom.net.au

Should I pay $15 for the 10 extra receive only channels?

LRH

Reads90
13th September 2006, 09:45 AM
I have the 3400 and find it great . Even more so in the defender as you don;'t have the room for the full kit , so just have the remote on the dash

Scouse
13th September 2006, 10:24 AM
Should I pay $15 for the 10 extra receive only channels?

LRHYou'll have to tell them which frequencies you want programmed.
I was going to have my 3400 programmed for emergency services (police/fire...) but I've been told that they're progressively changing to digital.

VladTepes
13th September 2006, 10:41 AM
Yep, the 10 extra channels are a waste of money.

Law Enforcement and Emergency Services will indeed go to digital, and encrypted digital at that. The media are having a big whinge because they won't be able to 'ambulance chase' any more but it makes these fellas (the law / emerg worlers) jobs a lot easier if their communications aren't compromised.

Save the $15 and buy some fuel.

Xtreme
13th September 2006, 10:55 AM
I have the cheaper, one piece TX3200 mounted in the defender on the side of the centre console and beside the driver's seat. No problems, audio is excellent, unit is handy and out of the way.

Roger

LRHybrid100
13th September 2006, 11:00 AM
Cheers Guys,

Will order without the extra channels - just wanted to check before I placed the order!!!

LRH

discowhite
13th September 2006, 04:04 PM
mark you should have asked sooner, i have the uh015sx in the 90.
best things on it, police scanner and auto squelch apart from that just stick with the uh012, it will do everything you want it to do.
also dont think you need a 6 db whip, the one i use is great for all the stuff we do. gme 4.5db. $90 from dick smiths ect.

cheers phil

discowhite
13th September 2006, 04:06 PM
ive been listening to the police freq for the last 3 weeks! bit of an eye opener:eek:

DannyH
13th September 2006, 04:22 PM
i too just installed a uniden uho15 in my disco - the police band is good to listen in on and was the reason i chose it over the GME. That and i got a good price on the uniden.

I installed the remote face up on the overhead console and the unit under the drivers seat. Nice and tidy!

disconut
13th September 2006, 05:19 PM
i too just installed a uniden uho15 in my disco - the police band is good to listen in on and was the reason i chose it over the GME. That and i got a good price on the uniden.

I installed the remote face up on the overhead console and the unit under the drivers seat. Nice and tidy!

We have 2 GME units, one 60 ch and one 50 ch. Both are able to pick up police frequencies when programmed to do so.

Trev.

DiscoTDI
21st October 2006, 01:47 PM

Have you got a pic?

incisor
21st October 2006, 04:44 PM
i just ordered a gme 3200 from prestige, and intend putting it on the overhead console... or beside the seat.

Bush65
21st October 2006, 07:18 PM
is this constant 25w......
i heard a bit of talk that it starts transmitting at 25w to get over everything/everyone to access the repeater.....
then drops the power back to 5w.....
im just curious if this is true or not.....
....[/COLOR]
The 400 pro can be programmed to 25W, 5W or 1W.

If programmed to 25W, one of the front panel buttons can be programmed to toggle between 25W, 5W and 1W.

If programmed to 5W, you can then use the button to toggle between 5W and 1W.

However, the 1st bank is set to the UHF cb frequencies. You can re-program the power on any of these frequencies to 25W. But if you use a front button to toggle the power to 5W or 1W, it will no longer toggle back to 25W, and will only toggle between 5W and 1W.

The usual way around this is to program another bank to the uhf cb frequencies with 25W.

lokka
22nd October 2006, 12:25 AM
The 400 pro can be programmed to 25W, 5W or 1W.

If programmed to 25W, one of the front panel buttons can be programmed to toggle between 25W, 5W and 1W.

If programmed to 5W, you can then use the button to toggle between 5W and 1W.

However, the 1st bank is set to the UHF cb frequencies. You can re-program the power on any of these frequencies to 25W. But if you use a front button to toggle the power to 5W or 1W, it will no longer toggle back to 25W, and will only toggle between 5W and 1W.

The usual way around this is to program another bank to the uhf cb frequencies with 25W.best thing 2 do is have it set at max power and leave it my old mans 400 is set at 25w my bros is set at 35 w and they both work fine myself i run a phillips fm900 with 120 channels 32w out and have done so 4 the last 7 years would pefer it over any other set cause it is indstructable and water proof its mounted 2 the back of my center console and the kids give it hell ie drinks get spilt on it kids use it as a step and it dosent miss a beat even the mic has gone for a swim i took it apart and blew it dry and it still works i run an ext speaker and a 3dbi rfi mopole antane and it works great i also have a few 4 spares just incase any thing goes a miss and i have 3 other units with remote heads the best uhf by far i also run a 9 dbi laser antane when im stationary and it works unreal the mobile base station can sit on a certain hill and access repeaters up to 300 plus km away with perfect clarity

incisor
24th October 2006, 06:50 PM
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2006/10/59.jpg

my birthday present, a GME TX3200 installed in the overhead console of my disco.

down facing speaker, crystal clear and easy to hear....

took about an hour all up to install along with my new 75ah deep cycle battery under the bonnet.

DannyH
24th October 2006, 07:37 PM
Have you got a pic?

yeah mate, i'll take one for you tomorrow!

DannyH
25th October 2006, 05:16 PM
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/danhooper83/IMGP1401.jpg

here's my setup. like i said, the main unit is under the driver's seat. i'm tossing up whether to install a separate speaker. You can hear fine when its under the seat, but you have to turn it up full volume. dunno if this is bad for it or not?

LoadedDisco
4th November 2006, 03:56 PM
You could move the main unit to under the steering wheel where the fuses are behind the cover. I have a GME 3400 and it is Velcroed in position there and I can here the speaker ok even if driving down the Hwy with the window open.

Or the seprate speraker would be the way to go.

dmdigital
4th November 2006, 05:01 PM
You could move the main unit to under the steering wheel where the fuses are behind the cover. I have a GME 3400 and it is Velcroed in position there and I can here the speaker ok even if driving down the Hwy with the window open.

Or the seprate speraker would be the way to go.

I have the same and the head unit is under the cup holder. I have used black silastic to afix the mic clip to the transmission tunnel and the main unit's bracket is alsostuck this way to the the inside of the fuse panel. On the old Disco I did the same but used double sided tap in the fuse panel.

islandmarty
31st May 2009, 12:08 AM
Did someone mention FM900 yummo I have stacks of those laying around here.

Now just so no one rushes out and gets burnt buying a dinosaur FM900 looking for all the goodies mentioned earlier i will share a tiny bit of wisdom.

ok for starters FM 900's are actualey broken down into specific models and each does different things.

For instance the standard FM92 only has 99 channels and can even reach up and over 40watts but will last a very short time. i think the fastest one i had that died was one week they are designed for 25watt operation.

Now the FM 91 was the pride of the fleet sporting the crazy push button remote head and the 120channels and even came with a very nice amp on the back end. this amp would allow to the 91 to run upto 50watts and even hold it. even today radio techs still pull the amp out for projects and throw out the rest of the radio.

Now this water proof claim is a little bit of active imagination because there was only ever one model of FM900 made water resistant and that i think was the FM93 which was a remote head and custom order for the police motor bikes. they are rare as hens teeth because they were destroyed when taken out of police service which left almost none floating around the markets.

I have serviced and reprogrammed many FM900 specialy cheap ex mines radios and if the bull dust can get in and destroy all the volume and squelch pots then water can definatley get in.

But they are built tough I also use an old FM92 in the pajero for SES and it sits right under the kids feet because it cant fit under the suspension seats. I have scraped the mud and beach sand off it on many occasions and it has run faultless for many years now.