PDA

View Full Version : D240 v P400

Delewis
3rd September 2020, 11:20 AM
G’day all,

First time poster (aside from the introductions thread). I freely admit I’m completely new to Land Rovers and have never owned a 4WD. However, I have been going outback and off road for years on motorbikes. Now I want to be able to take the family on weekenders and multi-week trips around Oz. I don’t need to be able to do rugged off-road driving or rock crawling.

As a one car (and two motorbike) family, the final say is always going to be with my wife – she does most of the urban driving, she is fussy (discerning?) about the way a car looks and drives, and flatly refuses to consider a Japanese or American 4WD. One thing we have always agreed on is that the Discos (especially the later models) look great and appealingly utilitarian. So when the new Defender demos arrived in Melbourne, we went for a test drive. Took about 1 minute for us to decide we loved the whole package. I’m not usually impulsive, but when my wife agrees to open the purse to buy an awesome new toy, I’m not going to stand in her way. I would normally thoroughly research before committing. This time, I just hit the buy button. We chose the D240 with some minor extras. Delivery in Feb 2021.

Having now had the luxury of doing some pretty extensive ‘research’, I’m now wondering if the D240 is the right engine for our use. The issues created by pollution control measures for diesels of many brands seem to outweigh the benefits depending on usage. I opted for the diesel as I had assumed (not having owned a diesel) that it would be simpler, more efficient, possibly more reliable and with a longer lifespan. Reliability and longevity are the most important criteria to me. However, it seems that the diesel engines are hampered by DPF issues (I know this is not isolated to Land Rovers) and require periodic regeneration cycles to keep it clear, etc. This is just not practical for a vehicle which will be overwhelmingly used for short urban trips. Then there are the reports of high metallic contamination in the oil.

I am therefore considering changing the order to a P400 which sounds a lot more exciting performance wise! In doing so, I would be capitulating on my long held commitment to never buy a hybrid (albeit a ‘mild hybrid’) as I regard it as introducing unnecessary complexity and weight to a vehicle. And it is a transitional technology. However, it seems to be the better option for what we’re looking for.

I hope I am not putting anyone’s noses out of joint – and if I’m wrong in any of my assumptions, I would appreciate being corrected. I’m keen to learn as much as possible from a mechanical/technical point of view about the Land Rovers. I prefer to purchase vehicles that offer something distinctive and appealing in style and/or performance and accept some idiosyncrasies. I am also very willing to mod where possible to overcome known flaws – as long as the warranty isn’t voided!

I would be interested in any feedback on the diesel v petrol dilemma.

jon3950
3rd September 2020, 12:54 PM
Firstly welcome to the forum and the world of land Rovers. I hope your surviving the lockdown.

I'm sure the P400 would be the better drive around town, but if you are considering remote touring there are two factors to consider that to me come out in favour of the diesel.

Namely the fuel range when off-road and the tyre/rim packages available. The fact that you can't (at least as yet) fit 18" rims to the P400 would be a deal breaker for me.

Cheers,
Jon

DiscoMick
3rd September 2020, 01:07 PM
Personally, I would stick with the diesel.
DPF issues are easily overcome by going for a drive to get it hot enough for burn off.
Diesel is a lot more economical than petrol for touring and towing.
These are very advanced engines and well-proven now after several years of use.

100inch
3rd September 2020, 03:29 PM
Two of our everyday cars are (recent) diesel models and both perform flawless. However, we are hardly using them for runs under 30min.
If your Defender get primarily/ often used for 10-15 min trips I would definitely consider the P400. Saying that you may use it on a long trip every weekend so that would definitely help. Interesting that the dealer hasn't discussed this with you. Mine (Malvern) definitely advises on petrol engines if primarily used for short journey use. m

101RRS
3rd September 2020, 03:54 PM
So what are the issues with using modern high speed diesels for short trips? My older diesel freelander and my now 13 yo RRS is used mainly for short commutes and I have had no issues other than charging the battery from time to time but that applies equally to a petrol. Likewise wear because of use on cold engines etc are likely equally on both type of engines.

Now my vehicle does not have a DPF but from what little I know of them, the LR versions are pretty trouble free IF IF IF you read the instructions on their maintenance (like other aspects of servicing) and abide by them - doesn't the car tell you it needs a burn off if it has not been able to be done in normal driving conditions?

With over 400,000km in my two diesels I have not had any "commute" specific issues - but then my cars are maintained on time in accordance with the book (modified by common sense) [thumbsupbig]

Cheers

Garry

grey_ghost
3rd September 2020, 04:11 PM
Welcome aboard and a really good question there. In short I believe the answer is "if only doing short trips, but a petrol as you won't have potential DPF issues".

As you say - most brands suffer from DPF issues, and with the diesel you also need to fill up your "adblue". While adblue isn't the end of the world - it's just another thing that you need to remember to do.

I myself have had mixed results with modern diesel vehicles. I had a VW Tiguan that at $150K had DPF issues, and cost $5k to fix because it was an engine out job.

However I have done 185k so far in my diesel Skoda without any issues (boy I hope that I don't jinx myself).

My normal daily commute is 75 minutes each way at a minimum, so in theory 10 times a week I should be driving enough to prevent any DPF issues - but that didn't make a difference with the VW. (And arguably they are most likely either identical engines or very similar).

One other thing that I have heard said is: "If you want to tow heavy loads, definitely go the diesel, otherwise stick with the petrol"

I am considering a new Defender myself and can honestly say - I don't tow, so am seriously considering the petrol.. But that's down to my personal choice.

It's going to be a brilliant car whatever you decide you lucky bugger!

Cheers,
GG.

PS - Living in Melbourne and not being able to drive more than 5 kms at the moment, I do wonder how many diesel vehicles might have issues in 6 months time...

INter674
3rd September 2020, 05:19 PM
Petrol!
..diesels suck in cars...only good for trucks and tractors IMHO.

You will love the power and towing ease too.

It has more power than our SCD4...and lighter too.

A total rocket ship🤤

Spoil yourself like we did and appreciate the power and I suspect the better reliability long term.

Gregz
3rd September 2020, 05:27 PM
I understand (but can't recall where I read it) that the new diesel ingenium engines as built into the defender are a close-coupled design, which means there should be very little dpf issues.
My diesel is the Ford engine, which is the medium coupled design, but pre ad-blue. It has done 46k km now and never had an issue. I always disable the stop/start when I start the car so as to ensure the car gets time to regen if required - not sure it actually helps though. I mainly do shorter trips with occasional (maybe once a month) longer trips. I have noticed a burning smell coming from the car on occasions, which I put down to the DPF burn doing its thing - maybe occurs once every few weeks.
The only thing that I don't like about the diesel is the turbo lag, which is most prominent when coasting to a stop and then trying to accelerate away, e.g. at roundabouts. The mild hybrid engines, I understand, eliminate any lag. If I was buying now I would buy the P400 for that reason alone. However newer diesel engines are on the way with the mild hybrid, and I think that would be my pick.

zilch
3rd September 2020, 06:55 PM
However newer diesel engines are on the way with the mild hybrid, and I think that would be my pick.

Straight six in D250, D300 and potentially D350 MHEV format would have been my first choice if
they had been released within the initial launch period. To impatient to wait, so P400 it is

Delewis
4th September 2020, 09:38 AM
Appreciate the replies and advice!

I spoke with a very helpful dealer in Sydney (as Melbourne is still shut!) and salesperson says she always advises customers to go for the petrol if used for primarily short urban trips. I then emailed the sales guy dealing with my order. He provided a new quote and almost apologetically advised that the premium of the petrol over the diesel is about $20k! That is a pretty hefty difference which could go to touring accessories. Either option is obviously a great option. Will go and consult with Mrs Delewis...

rar110
4th September 2020, 10:48 AM
I hope for $20k extra it’s a much higher spec car with still like rear diff lock and meridian sound etc.

100inch
4th September 2020, 11:32 AM
The P400 pricing has been debated a lot, but to me absolutely justified for an European build 400bhp car....particular as it is available in base specs here in AUS. m

DiscoMick
4th September 2020, 01:57 PM
Personally, I wouldn't pay $20k extra to get a petrol, but its an individual choice.

Vern
4th September 2020, 05:06 PM
Personally, I wouldn't pay $20k extra to get a petrol, but its an individual choice.I'd pay $20k extra to have 400hp.

zilch
4th September 2020, 05:23 PM
The P400 pricing has been debated a lot, but to me absolutely justified for an European build 400bhp car....particular as it is available in base specs here in AUS. m

much to the annoyance of my UK compatriots who can only get the P400 in X form..

andrewm42
5th September 2020, 09:28 AM
As mentioned above, the problem I have with the P400 is the 18" wheels. Its a pity they were unable to find a brake system with the required specifications that would still fit the "smaller" wheels. I wonder if the D250, D300s will have the same issue...

DiscoDB
5th September 2020, 09:56 AM
Personally, I wouldn't pay $20k extra to get a petrol, but its an individual choice.

I would also struggle to justify $6k for what is just a remap going from the D200 to D240 as well with the base model.

The tricks and traps of the up sell.

Graeme
5th September 2020, 11:50 AM
... if you are considering remote touring there are two factors to consider that to me come out in favour of the diesel.

Namely the fuel range when off-road and the tyre/rim packages available. The fact that you can't (at least as yet) fit 18" rims to the P400 would be a deal breaker for me.

With the experience of having used 275/55R20 on my L322 for remote touring I don't consider the lack of 18" wheels an issue although I'd still want a diesel for the fuel range. The tyre range in this size is quite extensive.

Cambo_oldjaguar
6th September 2020, 12:40 PM
I would also struggle to justify $6k for what is just a remap going from the D200 to D240 as well with the base model.

The tricks and traps of the up sell.

The low power version is a single turbo, the high power version is a twin turbo.... same 2.0L long motor, different intake manifold, and exhaust manifold to accommodate the twins.

Arapiles
6th September 2020, 02:08 PM
Appreciate the replies and advice!

I spoke with a very helpful dealer in Sydney (as Melbourne is still shut!) and salesperson says she always advises customers to go for the petrol if used for primarily short urban trips. I then emailed the sales guy dealing with my order. He provided a new quote and almost apologetically advised that the premium of the petrol over the diesel is about $20k! That is a pretty hefty difference which could go to touring accessories. Either option is obviously a great option. Will go and consult with Mrs Delewis...

You don't say which D240 you ordered, but the price difference with a P400 could be waaaay more than $20k - I configured one recently and it came in at over $150k.

I'd go with the diesel.

DiscoDB
6th September 2020, 04:47 PM
The low power version is a single turbo, the high power version is a twin turbo.... same 2.0L long motor, different intake manifold, and exhaust manifold to accommodate the twins.

Interesting given all the car magazines state both are a twin turbo but does seem LR are constantly changing the specs.

If the D200 is a single turbo, then definitely the pick of the bunch given the D240 only gains 30kW with no increase in torque which you would normally expect from a twin turbo over a single turbo.

scarry
6th September 2020, 05:41 PM
does seem LR are constantly changing the specs.

Same with the D240 in the D5,early Aus models had a heap more torque,and if my memory serves me correctly,power.

For some unknown reason it was detuned.

DiscoDB
6th September 2020, 05:53 PM
Same with the D240 in the D5,early Aus models had a heap more torque,and if my memory serves me correctly,power.

For some unknown reason it was detuned.

I believe the detune was to meet changing emission requirements.

zilch
6th September 2020, 06:38 PM
As mentioned above, the problem I have with the P400 is the 18" wheels. Its a pity they were unable to find a brake system with the required specifications that would still fit the "smaller" wheels. I wonder if the D250, D300s will have the same issue...

For prospective owners hopefully they more be more aligned with the P300

DiscoMick
6th September 2020, 07:24 PM
I believe the detune was to meet changing emission requirements.Quite common for imported engines to have to be detuned because they are not designed to run on our poor quality fuels, which clogs filters.

scarry
6th September 2020, 07:59 PM
Quite common for imported engines to have to be detuned because they are not designed to run on our poor quality fuels, which clogs filters.

I think there is a bit more to it than that.
It was detuned quite a few months after arriving.

If it was the fuel, one would think it would have been detuned originally,on arrival in the country.

But then again, Land Rover do work in weird ways,as we all know....[bigsad][biggrin]

INter674
7th September 2020, 06:26 AM
20k..ha we spend over 20k on rip off food prices every year and that's without beef which we source our own. We used to spend over 10k on eating out .......4 kids etc..etc

One 8 week 4wd trip to Vic 2 years ago cost over 10k in food.. . Fuel..repairs. acommodation..the Spirit...oh and grog..just a bit of grog.

Think I'd go for the 400 and adjust my diet and travel a bit for a year☺

scarry
7th September 2020, 07:46 AM
Once the kids have moved on there is definitely a huge difference.

And there is the benefit of only two of you to disagree on things,not six[bighmmm][biggrin]

All fun and games[thumbsupbig]

Discodicky
7th September 2020, 08:09 PM
I understand (but can't recall where I read it) that the new diesel ingenium engines as built into the defender are a close-coupled design, which means there should be very little dpf issues.
My diesel is the Ford engine, which is the medium coupled design, but pre ad-blue. It has done 46k km now and never had an issue. I always disable the stop/start when I start the car so as to ensure the car gets time to regen if required - not sure it actually helps though. I mainly do shorter trips with occasional (maybe once a month) longer trips. I have noticed a burning smell coming from the car on occasions, which I put down to the DPF burn doing its thing - maybe occurs once every few weeks.
The only thing that I don't like about the diesel is the turbo lag, which is most prominent when coasting to a stop and then trying to accelerate away, e.g. at roundabouts. The mild hybrid engines, I understand, eliminate any lag. If I was buying now I would buy the P400 for that reason alone. However newer diesel engines are on the way with the mild hybrid, and I think that would be my pick.

Fit an I-drive throttle controller, adjust it to your liking and your turbo lag will disappear.
Guaranteed!

Delewis
9th September 2020, 12:05 PM
I was contacted today by the dealer and informed that the D240 was no longer available for the Defender and would be now offered with the 2lt 300hp petrol (same as in the Velar, etc), and at some stage the 3lt straight 6 diesel (which will be mild hybrid). Therefore, my February 2021 build will no longer be a D240. Not sure whether this effects all current orders or whether I’m too far down the list and they will have run out of the D240 by then?? Either way, the dealer was not able to provide any price information yet on the new options.

Edit: I think the P400 is still an option too.

DiscoDB
9th September 2020, 08:37 PM
I was contacted today by the dealer and informed that the D240 was no longer available for the Defender and would be now offered with the 2lt 300hp petrol (same as in the Velar, etc), and at some stage the 3lt straight 6 diesel (which will be mild hybrid). Therefore, my February 2021 build will no longer be a D240. Not sure whether this effects all current orders or whether I’m too far down the list and they will have run out of the D240 by then?? Either way, the dealer was not able to provide any price information yet on the new options.

Edit: I think the P400 is still an option too.

I would cancel that order and wait to see all the MY21 options first. The D300 SE is possibly now the pick of the bunch if you want a diesel.

Don’t trust the dealer until you have all the facts.

scarry
9th September 2020, 08:43 PM
Any Aus specs on the Diesels?

DiscoDB
9th September 2020, 08:50 PM
Can’t see any info on the MY21 Defenders on the LRA website. There is something ethically questionable when dealers sign people up for a MY21 vehicle when they don’t even have the details themselves on what they will have.

Phideaux
10th September 2020, 07:44 AM
(I've no advice for Delewis that hasn't been mentioned already)
Apart from: check the status of deposit refund-ability if you can't be supplied with the vehicle you sought.

That said, the off-road-ability showroom-fresh is a huge selling point for something that's reportedly comfy on the tar.

It also looks like there's some functioning/owner-responsibility for ad-blue and ensuring that you do the odd longer run to activate the DPF high-temperature burn-off run exactly as they should.
My Freelander2 diesel - prior to "active" DPF (I believe there's some 'out there' with their own heating element) - it makes me wince driving short distances with it but I'm out of choices. Even so, apparently a 15 minute freeway run is sufficient to 'clear it out'.

I've been daydreaming over an electric- or electric-boosted replacement for the 2011 TD4 - (which has been a great vehicle, suiting my geriatric needs to perfection). (And has done some intimidating off-road, only ever let me down with clearance).
Jaguar i-pace is fast, some surprising off-road cred, but 'tow-bar' was left out (deliberately). And bloody pricey.
The big advantage of pure-electric is that while the 5-year WOL equation is woeful, a 10-year WOL costs actually beats ICE. 15-20 years - gets better and better.
The Disco-Sport (never say Freelander3!) PHEV is going to get my very close scrutiny. 62km pure-electric, 6.6 secs to 100kph, a theoretical (giggle, giggle) 175mpg? But... the complexity...

Mukiwa
10th September 2020, 07:55 AM
G’day all,

First time poster (aside from the introductions thread). I freely admit I’m completely new to Land Rovers and have never owned a 4WD. However, I have been going outback and off road for years on motorbikes. Now I want to be able to take the family on weekenders and multi-week trips around Oz. I don’t need to be able to do rugged off-road driving or rock crawling.

As a one car (and two motorbike) family, the final say is always going to be with my wife – she does most of the urban driving, she is fussy (discerning?) about the way a car looks and drives, and flatly refuses to consider a Japanese or American 4WD. One thing we have always agreed on is that the Discos (especially the later models) look great and appealingly utilitarian. So when the new Defender demos arrived in Melbourne, we went for a test drive. Took about 1 minute for us to decide we loved the whole package. I’m not usually impulsive, but when my wife agrees to open the purse to buy an awesome new toy, I’m not going to stand in her way. I would normally thoroughly research before committing. This time, I just hit the buy button. We chose the D240 with some minor extras. Delivery in Feb 2021.

Having now had the luxury of doing some pretty extensive ‘research’, I’m now wondering if the D240 is the right engine for our use. The issues created by pollution control measures for diesels of many brands seem to outweigh the benefits depending on usage. I opted for the diesel as I had assumed (not having owned a diesel) that it would be simpler, more efficient, possibly more reliable and with a longer lifespan. Reliability and longevity are the most important criteria to me. However, it seems that the diesel engines are hampered by DPF issues (I know this is not isolated to Land Rovers) and require periodic regeneration cycles to keep it clear, etc. This is just not practical for a vehicle which will be overwhelmingly used for short urban trips. Then there are the reports of high metallic contamination in the oil.

I am therefore considering changing the order to a P400 which sounds a lot more exciting performance wise! In doing so, I would be capitulating on my long held commitment to never buy a hybrid (albeit a ‘mild hybrid’) as I regard it as introducing unnecessary complexity and weight to a vehicle. And it is a transitional technology. However, it seems to be the better option for what we’re looking for.

I hope I am not putting anyone’s noses out of joint – and if I’m wrong in any of my assumptions, I would appreciate being corrected. I’m keen to learn as much as possible from a mechanical/technical point of view about the Land Rovers. I prefer to purchase vehicles that offer something distinctive and appealing in style and/or performance and accept some idiosyncrasies. I am also very willing to mod where possible to overcome known flaws – as long as the warranty isn’t voided!

I would be interested in any feedback on the diesel v petrol dilemma.

If possible, I recommend 17” wheel rims because you get a far wider choice of off road tyres from decent AT (city & off road) to hard core off road. I have a Freelander 2 with 18” wheels and can really only get General Grabber AT tyres (which I am very happy with).

BobD
15th September 2020, 03:33 PM
Straight six in D250, D300 and potentially D350 MHEV format would have been my first choice if
they had been released within the initial launch period. To impatient to wait, so P400 it is

I would have got a P400 but I couldn't wait and ended up with a Disco 5 SD6. If buying now I would go for the new 6 cylinder D250 or D300 mild hybrid in either D5 or Defender, depending on final choice. The AdBlue in the D5 is terrible. I use around 1l/100km when towing so I have to fill up every 1500km. Much longer between refills when not towing though but my car is almost exclusively used for towing.

Julzmd
24th September 2020, 01:40 PM
Given my bad experience with my Discovery Sport and it's DPF, I would definitely suggest P400. I always gets anxious when I don't travel long distances for 2 weeks that it might block the DPF again. Already had 3 DPFs replaced. This is only regret when I bought my Disco Sport.

I ordered a P400 HSE last month and exicited to get it on December 2020 [smilebigeye]

scarry
24th September 2020, 02:54 PM
Given my bad experience with my Discovery Sport and it's DPF, I would definitely suggest P400. I always gets anxious when I don't travel long distances for 2 weeks that it might block the DPF again. Already had 3 DPFs replaced. This is only regret when I bought my Disco Sport.

I ordered a P400 HSE last month and exicited to get it on December 2020 [smilebigeye]

I would be excited as well[thumbsupbig]

So the Sport didn't have a DPF gauge,and switch, to initiate a DPF burn if needed?

zilch
24th September 2020, 04:10 PM
. I ordered a P400 HSE last month and exicited to get it on December 2020 [smilebigeye]

that is quick, is that from incoming stock or built to order??

loanrangie
24th September 2020, 04:31 PM

If possible, I recommend 17” wheel rims because you get a far wider choice of off road tyres from decent AT (city & off road) to hard core off road. I have a Freelander 2 with 18” wheels and can really only get General Grabber AT tyres (which I am very happy with).No chance of 17's fitting the defender.

DiscoMick
24th September 2020, 05:50 PM

I ordered a P400 HSE last month and exicited to get it on December 2020 [smilebigeye]Isn't it the same engine?

Julzmd
26th September 2020, 07:54 AM
that is quick, is that from incoming stock or built to order??

Yes it is built to order. Orders that were doene last August will arrive in Aussie shores on 5th of December 2020, unless there will be unexpected delays.

Julzmd
26th September 2020, 07:55 AM
I would be excited as well[thumbsupbig]

So the Sport didn't have a DPF gauge,and switch, to initiate a DPF burn if needed?

That is a good idea actually. I wish there was

Julzmd
26th September 2020, 07:56 AM
Isn't it the same engine?

Nope. The P400 I ordered is Petrol

zilch
26th September 2020, 08:20 AM
Yes it is built to order. Orders that were doene last August will arrive in Aussie shores on 5th of December 2020, unless there will be unexpected delays.

4 months is not bad, I put my deposit down Oct 19th, 🤞 I hope to pick it up next week, so not quite a year
but near enough

scarry
26th September 2020, 10:59 AM
That is a good idea actually. I wish there was

Many other manufacturers vehicles have had them ever since they were fitted with DPF's.

Our work vans have them as well,although we have never had to use them.

rockley12
18th December 2020, 07:44 AM
Hi, well done on your purchase.
Thoughts about the diesel option - if you're going to mostly use the car for short trips i would seriously reconsider the diesel as it really does require longer periods at freeway speeds (>95km/h) occasionally and if it doesn't get these, will basically self destruct as has been shown in the Disco Sport models and others. Our Kia Sportage diesel has the same problem/requirement so it's not unique to brand.
We bought a D240-S (my ninth Land Rover!!!) in August and currently have about 8000km on 'Tazzie' (-it's Tasman Blue) from a trip around - ironically - Tassie in November. The car performed exceptionally well, was extremely comfortable, handled all those Tasmanian corners with ease and comfort and plenty of power. Select 'SPORT' and off you go! Size of the car was perfect (immensely better than my 2011 '90, no surprise there), fitted all our camping gear, two mountain bikes, three adults etc and we haven't even got the roof rack yet.
Our only complaint was that the electronics are too over bearing when camping - you sometimes like to leave the doors open and that 'bong bong bong' alert gets old really fast; we got several alerts from the system that our battery required top-up and to start the vehicle. I will be emailing Land Rover suggesting that they incorporate a 'camping mode' into the software to reduce battery usage. Also, when you plug in a bike carrier (for the tail lights), there is no option in the software to pick a bike rack and it thinks you're towing a trailer which limits the suspension in some situations.
I bought a diesel because we do longer trips and we got around 1000 km out of each tank of fuel in the longer, straighter, highway sections of our holiday and also we don't live in Sydney or Melbourne so it gets that DPF nice and clean.
Happy trails
Matt/ Rockley12
[bigsmile1][bigsmile1][bigsmile1]

WhiteD3
18th December 2020, 01:24 PM
Thanks matt.

How do you find take off with the D240?

My D5 SD4 (with 70nm more torque but the same kWs as the D240) is a bit lazy at take off, waiting for the turbo to kick in.

Cheers.

Hi, well done on your purchase.
Thoughts about the diesel option - if you're going to mostly use the car for short trips i would seriously reconsider the diesel as it really does require longer periods at freeway speeds (>95km/h) occasionally and if it doesn't get these, will basically self destruct as has been shown in the Disco Sport models and others. Our Kia Sportage diesel has the same problem/requirement so it's not unique to brand.
We bought a D240-S (my ninth Land Rover!!!) in August and currently have about 8000km on 'Tazzie' (-it's Tasman Blue) from a trip around - ironically - Tassie in November. The car performed exceptionally well, was extremely comfortable, handled all those Tasmanian corners with ease and comfort and plenty of power. Select 'SPORT' and off you go! Size of the car was perfect (immensely better than my 2011 '90, no surprise there), fitted all our camping gear, two mountain bikes, three adults etc and we haven't even got the roof rack yet.
Our only complaint was that the electronics are too over bearing when camping - you sometimes like to leave the doors open and that 'bong bong bong' alert gets old really fast; we got several alerts from the system that our battery required top-up and to start the vehicle. I will be emailing Land Rover suggesting that they incorporate a 'camping mode' into the software to reduce battery usage. Also, when you plug in a bike carrier (for the tail lights), there is no option in the software to pick a bike rack and it thinks you're towing a trailer which limits the suspension in some situations.
I bought a diesel because we do longer trips and we got around 1000 km out of each tank of fuel in the longer, straighter, highway sections of our holiday and also we don't live in Sydney or Melbourne so it gets that DPF nice and clean.
Happy trails
Matt/ Rockley12
[bigsmile1][bigsmile1][bigsmile1]

rockley12
18th December 2020, 06:16 PM
Hi, there's a little bit of turbo lag, if you plant your foot i usually get a bit of a slap from the Mrs. I find it manageable.
I'd prefer to have a manual non turbo vehicle, but honestly I can't fit anything into my old MX5 and putting fuel into an old V8 discovery isn't practical in any way these days ( i had one 15 years ago).
We really love our new defender. We can live with the turbo lag. I'm not so young any more (53) and so I'd rather keep my license.
If you're into bikes at all, I have an Africa twin which has heaps of power for me but I keep getting ribbed for not getting a KTM as they are pocket rockets.
Did that answer the question? Hope it helps.
Matt