PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 Monthly DVDs

crump
10th July 2006, 04:17 PM
I have got a few of these in subscription promos, mmmm, so what does everyone else think?

rangieman
10th July 2006, 04:20 PM
i watched one of these on the weekend i thought what a pack of *******

it was of the vic high country

hey but funny tho :eek:

chunk
10th July 2006, 04:25 PM
give me camel trophy any day:burnrubber::burnrubber:

seqfisho
10th July 2006, 09:08 PM
I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase them unless they were cheap

Most of mine came when I had my eyepatch on and a parrot on me shoulder

AARRRRHHHH me harties:twisted:

Wortho
11th July 2006, 01:06 PM
I thought they are just promoting a yobbo mentality, it's no wonder you go up Stockton beach and see tons of beer bottles everywhere, are they 4wd trips or drinking trips, having a beer is great but is that what it's all about.Also if you have the space to take the beer in it doesn't take up any more space to take it out again!!!!!!

FenianEel
11th July 2006, 01:17 PM
I got the high country one. Won it actually! Thanks 4x4show:D

I thought it was good - but there's a lot of "Russell Coight" about it:p

I do like the mag and the vids I've seen - but they overdo the "Yobbo/Ocker- got to mention/show beer, blokey thing" too much.

On the other hand, they are more realistic/practical about a lot of things, than other mags though. And they do get OFF road and USE their vehicles, even't if they aren't Landies;)

Wortho
11th July 2006, 01:46 PM
Yeah they are heaps better than most other mags, they also seem to be a little less biased i just think they are in a position to influence a lot of people so why make that influence "quick grab another beer".

boggo
11th July 2006, 02:37 PM
Aaaah its good to hear someone else thinks these guys are tools,not to mention rover hating bastards!:twisted:As mr FenianEel says though,they do have some redeeming features

discowhite
11th July 2006, 03:11 PM
at least you know by watching them, that if a hilux with a locker can do all the tracks, then a Landy would P$ss it in:twisted:

phil

tombraider
11th July 2006, 03:54 PM
Aaaah its good to hear someone else thinks these guys are tools,not to mention rover hating bastards!:twisted:As mr FenianEel says though,they do have some redeeming features

Actually, not ALL of them hate landies....

Ben Wickham assistant editor loves them (has a D1 Tdi)
John Cadogan has an Extreme

And Roothy has asked me to personally write up a tech article for the magazine. Nowhere near finished but its coming :D

Just wait and see :cool:

Tombraider

crump
11th July 2006, 04:19 PM
I think they're ok, make you want to get out there an all, but the blokey stuff is overdone as is most of Roothys cooking.

VladTepes
13th July 2006, 04:23 PM
The best thing about those DVD's is that they don't over plug ARB stuff.

:rolleyes:

Rovercare at work
13th July 2006, 04:48 PM
Pat callinan also has bought a 130 defender and whats wrong with a beer or 10:beer: so long as you take the rubbish out of there, althought they may not be everyones taste, i think someone would whinge no matter what attitude they portrayed

dungarover
27th September 2006, 12:07 PM
I've got a couple of there DVD's with my subscription. They're meant to be light-hearted and not taken seriously, I think Australians are becoming too stiff and losing our easy going nature which is sad. The 'blokey' stuff doesn't bother me, I'm a bit like thet myself at times :D

4WD monthly is probably the least biased mag in Australia. Like some have mentioned, some of the editorial staff own LR's so that has to be a step in the right direction.

Trav

Tusker
27th September 2006, 12:38 PM
Yep so did I

Roothy testing beer at breakfast :huh: for his damper recipe is not a good look...

Regards
Max P

dobbo
27th September 2006, 12:56 PM
Yep so did I

Roothy testing beer at breakfast :huh: for his damper recipe is not a good look...

Regards
Max P

I agree, not a good look. I think they are trying to perform a ressurection of the carefree Australian Yobbo for international sales of the DVD's.

dungarover
27th September 2006, 02:28 PM
I don't think they are protraying a 'yobbo' image and it's not there intensions but with early morning beer session it sure appears that way. I wouldn't want them drinking lemonade for example, you'd would be calling them poofs :D :D :mad: :mad:

I find the DVD amusing and entertaining to say the least, and occasionally find something you don't know (rarity). At least they drive Toyotas and not Landies, then we would have problems :eek: :eek:

Trav

noddy
28th September 2006, 08:34 PM
John Cadogan has an Extreme

Had one, I believe he sold it a while back.

Have seen a couple and they confirm what a ****** that Roothy is:twisted:

If I want to watch an ad, I will watch tele, but paying good money to watch an ARB, Cooper Tyres promo is just too much for me.

The whole Australian 4x4 media is way too close to aftermarket suppliers. Journalistic credibility went out the window years ago.

I stopped buying all mags months ago....and have not missed it one bit. AULRO is all I need.:p

LRHybrid100
29th September 2006, 11:19 AM
Pat callinan also has bought a 130 defender and whats wrong with a beer or 10:beer: so long as you take the rubbish out of there, althought they may not be everyones taste, i think someone would whinge no matter what attitude they portrayed

Yup saw it last week - in for somw work / service at BEMW.

Nice looking truck, esp that cargo area on a D130

LRH

DiscoMick
8th May 2007, 07:11 PM
The ones I've seen have been fine in a blokey muck-about sort of way, I don't take it too seriously. I do get annoyed by the way there are ads for suppliers about every five minutes, but then I've seen the same thing on 4 x 4 Australia vids as well; it seems the mags are a bit too dependant on the suppliers for my liking, but then you get the same thing in British Landy mags. As long as you allow for the incestuous stuff, I'd rather have the vids than not have them.

Loaded
9th May 2007, 12:43 AM
This months DVD is a cracker and great value. I have watched it twice now and it is some serious 4x4 action. They have improved a lot from the last DVD which did have lots of crap adds and was a poor effort.
I do believe that they obviously listened to complaints and have made the necessary changes to put out a great 4x4 DVD. I would consider this months DVD as one of the best made by 4x4 Monthly, right up there with the Coffs Harborer's DVD.
Awesome :D :D :cool:

dungarover
9th May 2007, 02:32 PM
Agree, it was good value and the best part it's free with the mag :D .

I think maybe people take things too seriously and should lighten up. I don't think they're too yobbish, they're enjoying themselves not being a bunch of old stiffs crapping on about procidures and all that garbage. I admit that some of the recovery work was a lot to be desired, but being in that situation myself you do what you can to recover a vehicle within the realm of safety.

I guess you can't please everyone :(

Trav

George130
9th May 2007, 04:21 PM
As a free be with the mag they are something I watch with my boys. Wouldn't go and buy them though.

TerrorFirma
14th May 2007, 08:35 PM
Interesting enough it was the supercheap challenge with the Patrol vs Rangie that convinced me to buy one as they seemed good value and had all the gear needed to have a ball offroad.

Although there safety practices leave alot to be desired in winching and recoveries. Just need to watch the latest one on the Tassie run and they comment that they are making short cuts due to a time constraint. Not good to film but all up a light harted romp in the bush. Not sure on Roothy as he has not even fixed the old willys he bought.

JTO

rumman43
20th May 2007, 07:42 PM
I'm stuck on a rig off Vietnam, bought 4WD monthly on way out of country..I have watched the DVD (twice ) though not a big budget movie ..i thoroughly enjoyed it..

DiscoMick
22nd May 2007, 06:33 PM
I bought the mag in Bangkok but no DVD with it over here:( Anyone like to burn me a copy? (Oh, no, I didn;t say that, really I didn't, it was someone else, you can't prove a thing).

maclad
1st November 2008, 10:41 AM
As long as you don't have high expectations of the vids they're ok/average especially for the beginner. In that High County vid, I was a bit disappointed that they didn't show more of the High Country instead of what they thought was "humour". It was pretty dire really. Nothing wrong with a bit of larking around but... see for yourself. It's hard not to like Roothy but in his Jap-obsessed mind he repeatedly comes over as pretty anti-Land Rover. In a recent vid, whilst showing us an old Toyota, he proclaimed: "and this is where four wheel driving all began in Australia....." he's clearly never heard of Len Beadell and countless others who opened up this country in LRs and you can't make a remark like that without deliberately ignoring the contribution that LR has made here and all over the world. I don't subscribe anymore as it's all getting a bit repetitive and not enough real content. Still, probably ok for newbies.

BMKal
3rd November 2008, 02:49 PM
Well I have to admit that, if given the choice of watching a 4x4 Action DVD or another episode of Top Gear Australia, the 4x4 Action DVD would win hands down every time for me.

I've now got quite a collection of them, and enjoy watching them occasionally. OK - some segments are definitely better than others, and some are not to my taste at all - but who cares. Overall, they're a good bit of entertainment, sometimes educational, and sometimes outright controversial. But I still enjoy watching them.

And I can't see where all the negative comments about Roothy are coming from. He seems like a pretty down to earth decent sort of bloke to me - he'd be welcome at my place any time. So he likes a beer occasionally - big deal. So do I. I suppose that there are always a few "holier than thou" types around who find that idea on the nose - but nobody's compelling them to watch the DVD's. Have you ever seen him actually doing anything wrong - like appearing drunk and loud mouthed on the DVD's, or drink driving.

Anyhow - I'm gonna have another beer and keep looking through the posts .............

long stroke
3rd November 2008, 03:15 PM
I enjoy the dvd most the time, but i can't stand the 4wd action song:twisted:
They seem to be getting better, the last one was pretty good!!
But i still think the best ones made by them would have to be the coffs coast and tasies wild wild west.

CHEERS TIM.

Xavie
3rd November 2008, 03:48 PM
Yeah, next time I feel like watching a dvd of advertisements and nothing else I'll put one on. I doubt it will be any time in the near future though.

GregTD5
6th November 2008, 01:36 PM
Take the DVD for what it is, a good bit of light entertainment that is free.
The quality is getting better with each edition, some of the music is a bit louder so you can't hear the words at times.
The advertising is there to pay for the production costs. I certainly don't mind getting it thrown in with the magazine each month. Do as I do when it comes to the adds, fast forward!!!

Greg

Nera Donna
6th November 2008, 09:56 PM
Been a subscriber since 2003. I personally think that as a whole the mag and DVD's are slowly getting worse. The tests on equipment and accessories is so much better but they pick and choose what they what to test. I waited with great anticipation for their 4x4 of the year test after reading 4x4 Australia test. To see how the new Defenders went.....nothing.....not even a mention! After trouting that theirs was going to the biggest and best test of new 4x4's in Oz! Nope not a Landie in sight. 4x4 Action have not tested a new Landie since the Cape York test acouple of years ago when the Discovery DNF. Water in the electrics I think??? (I doesn't matter I bought a new Fender anyway). Roothy's cooking segments are on the decline and the ol 'Mud Flats Hotel' has lost it's shine. I dont know if I'll be renewing my subscription next time? I may choose something a little more relevant? LROI springs to mind.
Well I've got 20 more issues to make up mind. ;)

dungarover
9th November 2008, 08:46 AM
I recenly renewed and got a couple of gifts (leatherman, lost the last one in the Rangie burnt to the ground) but the DVD's are light entertainment and some months they'res plenty to watch and others maybe one or two segments.

The main reason I keep subscribing is it's the only aussie 4WD mag that has LR featured on a regular basis. I buy LRO and entusiast occasionally for more the tech articles but @$14 a throw I don't get them reguarly.

Trav

waynep
9th November 2008, 09:07 AM
Our local library gets the mag so I used to get it out of there ( came with the videos ). However I don't even bother with that now - there's only so many articles on tyres, winches, modified vehicles you can read. Same really goes for the DVDs.

They are good for beginners in 4WDing - I guess that's where they are banking their market is.

Yorkie
14th November 2008, 10:08 PM
i have been getting the mag for the past 5-6years and still enjoy the read. find the different mods to various vehicles useful for future wishes and they feature a range of different models. also the travel stories although not long give an idea of where to go on the next holiday (just have to decide where!).
the dvds add to the package as you get to hear them and see them on the move, that and the kids love to watch roothy!
comparing to the alternatives (ol/4x4aus) if you add in the freebies for subscription they are onto a good thing.
cheers
yorkie :)

long stroke
9th December 2008, 07:37 PM
Got the dvd today... not to bad, it's got a 4.6 supercharged rangie classic in it:twisted:
And Dranged's rangie is in the mag!!

CHEERS TIM.

86mud
11th December 2008, 05:50 AM
My Rangie Classic was in dvd #127 that was out with the recent 4wdAction mag.

It's a bit disappointing....for 10 hours of filming, there is only 5 minutes of final footage and the final footage is the same few shots repeated.

I spent 4 hours hours winching up a steep hill in the rain and none of that was shown.

But I agree with most, the mag is getting more like a catalogue of suppliers rather than a decent read...

Cheers
Andrew

Reads90
11th December 2008, 05:58 AM

It's a bit disappointing....for 10 hours of filming, there is only 5 minutes of final footage and the final footage is the same few shots repeated.

I spent 4 hours hours winching up a steep hill in the rain and none of that was shown.

But I agree with most, the mag is getting more like a catalogue of suppliers rather than a decent read...

Cheers
Andrew

Ahh you must have been the person who was at Land Curser Park the day before i was. The day before i went there was ****ing down all day and the day i went it was sunny all day. They said to me they had been winching most of the day before , and the weather was crap.

But i was really happy with my bit on vid .apart from the bit where they show my Ugly mug :). The mag which has the car write up in is out next week so be interesting what that is like

Ali

long stroke
11th December 2008, 10:32 AM

Cheers
Andrew

New it had to be someone on here:D
Very nice rig!!!
What do you think of the 3" flexy coils?
I've just put some in my d1.
Did you fit a caster correction kit?
If so where did you get it from?
Sorry about all the question:o

CHEERS TIM.

86mud
13th December 2008, 05:41 AM
G'day Tim

I am really impressed with the 3" coils.

I am running Toyota 80 bilsteins up front with 2" lowered shock towers and 2" bigger bumps stops and the front springs only just dislocate. The factory top sping mount has enough "meat" to allow the spring to relocate by its self without the need for relocation cones.

The rear I am running 29" procomp shocks with standard mounts but with 2" bigger bump stops and spring dislocation cones as the spring drops about 50mm.

As for castor, I have not changed anything there. it is a little vague on road, but I am just use to it.

Shane from 4wdStuff who supplied my springs can supply custom front radius arms which are cranked and castor corrected, but I am just concerned about vibration in the front drive shaft. At the moment I don't have any vibration and I am afraid if I install the modified arms, this will alter drive line angles and cause vibration. Then I will be up for a custom front driveshaft which is not cheap.

Cheers
Andrew