PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Landcruiser 79 Series

chuck
20th February 2022, 02:31 PM
79 series Dual Cab is nearly here.

A few of you have them, so seeking advice.

You can just keep going with accessories with these things.

What would you consider to be essential;

My list to date is;
Window Tint
Reverse Camera
Terrain Tamer Parabolic Suspension upgrade with pro shocks & smart coils

Believe it or not don't seem to be any useful LC 79 Series forums.

shack
20th February 2022, 07:15 PM
From my mates that have them, the extras they have ordered are:

Air conditioning

Cruise control

Bull bar

Side Bars

Side steps

Tow bar

Lift kit

Larger exhaust

Remap (shortly followed by a new clutch)

Sound deadening (I couldn't believe it)

Rear axle widened

Alloys

Extra fuel filter

Long Range tank

And if you like offroading:

Rear coil conversion

(No idea on cost with this, I think if you are doing this and the last item, it's testimony that you bought the wrong vehicle)

Lucky last.

Automatic transmission from a 200 series
($20k!!!)

[emoji15]

Nah I'm just joshing you, they haven't ALL done that.

It's really hard to know what to do on someone else's vehicle, but the ones we've traveled with have been unusually thirsty, I believe the last of them have better gear ratios up top and twin turbos though, do may run cheaper.

chuck
20th February 2022, 07:35 PM
Already comes with

Air conditioning
Cruise control
Side steps
Alloys
130 Litre Tank

Thinking about parabolic rear springs which have great reviews and 1/5 cost of coil conversion.

Yes need tow bar

Would love remap, clutch etc but trying to keep cost down

Changed ratios in 2018 so revs are lower and fuel use is reduced.

rar110
20th February 2022, 09:26 PM
Look at what load you want to carry including people. The DC76 has about 800kg capacity if fitted with a Toyota steel tray. Lots of people spend $10k plus on a alloy tray.

OME BP51s or similar larger bore shock (with or without remote res) are popular.

I personally like the style side trays available out of RSA. I think someone from Perth imports them.

A decent centre console, and upgraded sound system.

I wouldnít bother with alloy wheels unless youíve bought a workmate or want 285s.

oka374
21st February 2022, 07:35 AM
Widen the rear axle, it makes a huge difference to driving comfort, no more constantly correcting the steering through corners and on rough roads.
I fitted an excellent kit from a mob down in Victoria to a mates for him and we couldn't believe the difference it made. He always ran Toyo Muddies which probably contributed to the wandering but widening tha rear axle just transformed the vehicle.

ramblingboy42
21st February 2022, 09:44 AM
I remember driving the interim Landcruiser for the Australian Army , prior to Perentie.... heavily sprung leaf rear, and almost impossible to drive in a straight line off road.

What is the difference between front and rear track and is it easily offset with different rim offsets for the rear and or wheel spacers? I know they are illegal and guess quite a few owners use them anyway.

Personally I just would not own a vehicle that requires modification like that.

trout1105
21st February 2022, 10:16 AM
My 79 series doesn't have the rear axel mod and I have never had any dramas steering on ANY surface.
Many of the expensive mods on the 79 series utes are not vital , Swap over the stock tyres for a set of AT/MT boots, bullbar/winch, towball, a light "chip" and maybe a nice fat stainless exhaust system for "ear candy" is pretty much all you need.

Pretty much the same can be said for every other 4WD on the market, Its just that getting accessories for the Toyota/ford/nissan is Far easier that getting them for your new landrover.

shack
21st February 2022, 11:13 AM
My 79 series doesn't have the rear axel mod and I have never had any dramas steering on ANY surface.
Many of the expensive mods on the 79 series utes are not vital , Swap over the stock tyres for a set of AT/MT boots, bullbar/winch, towball, a light "chip" and maybe a nice fat stainless exhaust system for "ear candy" is pretty much all you need.

Pretty much the same can be said for every other 4WD on the market, Its just that getting accessories for the Toyota/ford/nissan is Far easier that getting them for your new landrover.I agree, nothing is really needed on them to be reliable and do the job.

But let's be honest, they are not very nice to drive.

By the time one mate was $130k in on his 18 twin cab, he asked me if I could please take it for a drive as something was wrong, I did so. I told him I can't feeling anything wrong with it, he is in the passenger seat.
He says "can't you feel it rocking from side to side? And darting all over the road"

I replied "yes" he says "so something is wrong with it!" To which I replied "it drives the same as all the others I've driven.

Don't get me wrong, I don't actually mind them and would probably have one in preference to a ranger or Hilux etc.

But they are not a great driving experience.

They are probably better on dirt than bitumen.

When travelling rural areas, we were using about the same fuel as him, he would have been close to gvm, we were about 5 tonnes gcm, all up both averaging around 15 l/100.

You will definitely get less mechanical issues on average with one compared to a LR.

Cheers
James

Edit: sorry to the O.P. I'm not really trying to run them down, just being honest, and no doubt he is aware of what he has purchased.... Nothing's perfect of course!

101RRS
21st February 2022, 12:20 PM
The best option would be to replace the asthmatic Toyota diesel with a LR 4.4 TDV8 [thumbsupbig] .

chuck
21st February 2022, 02:44 PM
The best option would be to replace the asthmatic Toyota diesel with a LR 4.4 TDV8 [thumbsupbig] .

Give them an ECU upgrade and they are producing big numbers - cheaper then transplanting a LR TDV8 lol

scarry
21st February 2022, 02:59 PM
A mate of mine has one,fully kitted out,been all over the countryside in the last few years,not a single issue.

His has BP-51,ARB setup,and it rides extremely well,weighs 3.3T on the scales at the dump,empty,full of fuel and water,just driver.He has also had it fully sound proofed,doors,floor,everywhere,but its still noisy,more wind noise than anything.I have the BP's on the LC200,and love them as well.

It has a turning circle similar to a Puma,so can be an effort to park and also turn on tracks at times.
He has just recently had the wider axle done,and said there isnt a lot of difference,actually probably not worth the $.

For dual batteries,go lithium if you can afford it,they are so much better.
DCS do under bonnet,have done for quite a few years now.They actually have 130A lithiums for under bonnet use in the 200,but i dont know if they will fit under the 79 bonnet easily.
Once my batteries are shagged,i will go Lithium.

101RRS
21st February 2022, 04:56 PM
Give them an ECU upgrade and they are producing big numbers -

Anything is possible when you start at such a low base.

trout1105
21st February 2022, 04:58 PM

There is Nothing "Asthmatic" about the 4.5l Toyota TDV8 when they have a slight "Chip" and a decent exhaust[thumbsupbig]

shack
21st February 2022, 05:01 PM
And I guess it's only another $3500 for that, and the guys I know that have paid nearly $130k don't even blink at amounts under $5k on the cruiser.... It's called "value adding".

trout1105
21st February 2022, 05:02 PM
Anything is possible when you start at such a low base.

Yes the base tune vastly de rates the engine But it doesnt take much of a tuning upgrade to let the horses loose without flogging the guts out of the engine/transmission.

chuck
21st February 2022, 05:11 PM
And I guess it's only another $3500 for that, and the guys I know that have paid nearly $130k don't even blink at amounts under $5k on the cruiser.... It's called "value adding".

Still cheap compared to new Land Rovers.

New Discovery $150k + now and you cant get anything legal for them.

New Defender conservatively specced with bull bar winch & RAI $140K +.

If Landrover were to build a Defender Tray Body they would be even more expensive.

trout1105
21st February 2022, 05:29 PM
Pretty difficult to put a tray on a monocoque chassis[bigwhistle]

ozscott
21st February 2022, 06:00 PM
Yes the base tune vastly de rates the engine But it doesnt take much of a tuning upgrade to let the horses loose without flogging the guts out of the engine/transmission.Yep people get stonking torque and power from the Cruiser V8s. They seem to be very strong and very able with tuning. They sounds great with the right exhaust too. Cheers

scarry
21st February 2022, 07:24 PM
Pretty difficult to put a tray on a monocoque chassis[bigwhistle]

Or do any type of GVM upgrade....illegal.

The lack of aftermarket accessories for modern LR's for touring is a real issue.
The LR Bullbar for the Defender is overpriced and basically useless,as an example.

i saw a good comment from Rob Pepper,not a bad journo,his comment,with all these LC's having huge GVM upgrades,he is yet to see a bent,broken,or cracket chassis on a LC.,including a 200.They are generally the tow vehicle of choice,and many tow huge weights,not only vans,but work trailers as well.
He also said they dont need drive train ugrades,larger radiators,transmission coolers,gearbox upgrades,intercooler upgrades,etc,etc.
They are over engineered.
He has seen damaged chassis on nearly every brand and model of other dual cab utes,including Hi Lux.

Corgie Carrier
24th February 2022, 10:06 AM
I remember driving the interim Landcruiser for the Australian Army , prior to Perentie.... heavily sprung leaf rear, and almost impossible to drive in a straight line off road.

What is the difference between front and rear track and is it easily offset with different rim offsets for the rear and or wheel spacers? I know they are illegal and guess quite a few owners use them anyway.

Personally I just would not own a vehicle that requires modification like that.

The difference between front and rear track is 98mm. That makes it illegal to use in Australia because if you want to mod a vehicle and get it engineered you can only have 50mm. So they don't comply with Australian standards.

My guess is that Toy people came to some underhand agreement with a shoddy polly. How else would they be allowed in the country??????

scarry
24th February 2022, 10:25 AM
The difference between front and rear track is 98mm. That makes it illegal to use in Australia because if you want to mod a vehicle and get it engineered you can only have 50mm. So they don't comply with Australian standards.

My guess is that Toy people came to some underhand agreement with a shoddy polly. How else would they be allowed in the country??????

Many vehicles have track differences,but usually less than 98 mm.
The track difference you are talking about is a ďMODĒ,a stock track difference is obviously allowed.

FWIW,the states also have different rules on modifying a vehicles track.

Art
24th February 2022, 11:46 AM

My list to date is;
Window Tint
Reverse Camera

Believe it or not don't seem to be any useful LC 79 Series forums.This is for Land Rovers?

Vern
24th February 2022, 04:09 PM
This is for Land Rovers?Huh?

trout1105
24th February 2022, 04:46 PM

My list to date is;
Window Tint
Reverse Camera

Believe it or not don't seem to be any useful LC 79 Series forums.

The 79 Series dual cab has been on the market since 2007 and there are a plethora on LC79 forums[bigwhistle]

trout1105
24th February 2022, 04:51 PM

Have you had a look at tractors lately?
Most have a massive difference in the front/rear track and they are easily licenced to operate on our roads.
Maybe that is also a shoddy/underhand deal with some polly or other[bigwhistle]

ozscott
24th February 2022, 09:02 PM
They are not ripping along at 100kph plus on the highway and 60kph on soft sand...

Cheers

chuck
24th February 2022, 09:21 PM
The 79 Series dual cab has been on the market since 2007 and there are a plethora on LC79 forums[bigwhistle]

Trout - thanks for the response.

Have not found a specific 79 Forum - but then i am not on Facebook.

Anywhere else i should be looking - or is it i have set my standards to the AULRO bar and there is nothing as useful as this forum.

trout1105
24th February 2022, 09:58 PM

Anywhere else i should be looking - or is it i have set my standards to the AULRO bar and there is nothing as useful as this forum.

Just google "landcruiser forum" and you will find plenty of info on the 79's there, I don't "do" facelick either.

I doubt that you will find a specific model/year of vehicle forum despite which brand it is Toyota, Nissan, Ford or even Landrover.

Arch
25th February 2022, 07:32 AM

Lcool is about as good as it gets for crusiers. IMO its a terrible forum being poorly organised, a terrible search engine, a ton of false information (forums in general) and unless you have 10,000+ posts you have no cred (again forums in general) but if you dig deep enough you'll find the information you are after.

Personally, having driven many LC70s across Aus for work (doesnt get much rougher than minerals exploration), the track difference is a non-issue. People "correct" [bigrolf] the track because they know more these cars than the toyo engineers. Toyota did it for a good reason, they want it to understeer due to its high center of gravity.

scarry
25th February 2022, 09:16 AM
Yes,LCool isnít bad but you need to scroll through and dig deep to find info.
Once you get into it,there is a heap of good info.

I canít understand why people donít get on FB,set up privacy settings,or settings in general,and itís fine.
There are a few 79 sites,with good info.
Sure there is rubbish,but just scroll through and ignore or move onto another site that suits you better.
Same as any site.
Easy as.

trout1105
25th February 2022, 10:42 AM
At the end of the day the 79 Series is quite simmilar to what the Series Landrovers were back in the day.
Very agricultural, very reliable, very capable and an all round extremely strong and useful 4WD, The only difference is that the 79 Series is more powerful and more robust than the Series 4WD's were.
Both vehicles were designed to be a workhorse not a show pony that are easily operated and maintained.
Whats not to like about them and I am absolutly certain that IF JLR were to again make a no nonsense single/twin cab 4WD ute that could compete with the Jap offerings it would also be a resounding success.

shack
28th February 2022, 06:26 PM
People "correct" [bigrolf] the track because they know more these cars than the toyo engineers. Toyota did it for a good reason, they want it to understeer due to its high center of gravity.

[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

I held off commenting on this for a number of days, but tonight it got the better of me.

They wanted it to handle poorly because of vehicle dynamics? I'm confused.

The simple facts are this, Toyota had to widen the front track to fit the V8, they didn't have to widen the the rear track for it so it didn't get done, people are still happy to pay over $100k for one so why change it, it's company policy.

"Toyota, the company that offers you less, now with inverted tricycle effect"

So are you trying to tell me that they had the track wrong since 1985 and happened upon the magic fix accidentally with the introduction of the V8, thereby improving handling?

No offence meant for anyone, but the facts were incorrect.

Cheers
James

ramblingboy42
28th February 2022, 09:08 PM
quote.. they want it to understeer due to its high center of gravity.

that doesn't sound right to me....it will oversteer.

BigJon
28th February 2022, 09:46 PM
Worse than oversteering or understeering, they won't even go in a straight line.
I drove a 76 Series with stock skinny wheels on a typical NT dirt road with longitudinal ruts from wet weather and it was close on uncontrollable.
The front wheels would be in a rut and the back ones would forever be climbing in and out of the ruts, making the whole thing sway from side to side.

This is the worst effect of the track difference.

Arch
1st March 2022, 09:10 AM
[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

I held off commenting on this for a number of days, but tonight it got the better of me.

They wanted it to handle poorly because of vehicle dynamics? I'm confused.

The simple facts are this, Toyota had to widen the front track to fit the V8, they didn't have to widen the the rear track for it so it didn't get done, people are still happy to pay over $100k for one so why change it, it's company policy.

"Toyota, the company that offers you less, now with inverted tricycle effect"

So are you trying to tell me that they had the track wrong since 1985 and happened upon the magic fix accidentally with the introduction of the V8, thereby improving handling?

No offence meant for anyone, but the facts were incorrect.

Cheers
James

Being a forum, no offence taken but your tone and words indicate that this was your intent.

Its not uncommon to have a wider front track for the reason I stated, particularly with a high centre of gravity. Understeer is safer than oversteer.

trout1105
1st March 2022, 10:06 AM
Worse than oversteering or understeering, they won't even go in a straight line.
I drove a 76 Series with stock skinny wheels on a typical NT dirt road with longitudinal ruts from wet weather and it was close on uncontrollable.
The front wheels would be in a rut and the back ones would forever be climbing in and out of the ruts, making the whole thing sway from side to side.

This is the worst effect of the track difference.

And yet plenty of people tow boats down these tracks and they don't have dramas with the shorter wheelbase on the trailer axle.
Those dried up rutted tracks are a bastard to navigate in ANY vehicle.

shack
1st March 2022, 10:28 AM
Being a forum, no offence taken but your tone and words indicate that this was your intent.

It really wasn't.

Just a statement of fact.

shack
1st March 2022, 10:35 AM

Indeed they are, particulary with factory skinny tyres.

When we got our first defender 130 it had Michelin xzy tyres on it, 7.50 X 16 , they are a fantastic tyre and last forever, but they are awful for train tracking on poor roads.

This is not a criticism of the vehicle, but the tyre choice.

The cruiser would be no different.

shack
1st March 2022, 10:48 AM
I must apologize to the OP...

He is no doubt excitedly awaiting for the arrival of his new car, which I feel partially responsible for running down.

This was not my intention at all.

The 70 series cruiser is a reasonably strongly built vehicle, but lacking most of the creature comforts many desire.

But I drive defenders so I can't comment on that!

They are more reliable than a defender for sure.

They are quieter in the cab, have more torque, and have a functioning A/C.

But they are not perfect, as evidenced by the amount of mods owners end up installing.

If I had to choose between a cruiser and any of the other single or double cab utes available, I'd pick the cruiser.

I genuinely hope the OP is not perturbed by what has transpired here, I apologize for my part.

You will no doubt enjoy your new vehicle, I hope it provides many years of reliable service.

Cheers
James

chuck
1st March 2022, 06:48 PM
James

No offence taken.

I have read & enjoyed the commentary.

Part of the attraction is the modification and being able to do it.

I used to have a well sorted D2 and enjoyed sourcing & fitting tyres, sliders, bars etc.

For a few more days i will have a my D5 which BTW is a fantastic vehicle.

But i miss the high country, snow trips & trips to SA.

D5 would have done all those but my nerve would not have - i like to have a winch for back up which you can not legally fit on a D5.

Now the Defender is out it is not likely that anyone will invest in accessories for a D5.

Much is said about the cost of the cruisers but if i was to spend the same sort of dollars as a new D300 SE 110 Defender the cruiser would be cheaper.

The other advantage is no LCT on a 79 series cruiser.

Great forum this

BigJon
1st March 2022, 10:16 PM
And yet plenty of people tow boats down these tracks and they don't have dramas with the shorter wheelbase on the trailer axle.

I had been down the same road in an older 79 Series Troopy (without the ridiculous track difference) and it was absolutely fine.

trout1105
1st March 2022, 10:36 PM
I had been down the same road in an older 79 Series Troopy (without the ridiculous track difference) and it was absolutely fine.

Was it fitted with the orrible skinny factory tyres or was it fitted with decent rubber /wheels?

BigJon
4th March 2022, 10:00 AM
Was it fitted with the orrible skinny factory tyres or was it fitted with decent rubber /wheels?

Both the 76 and the 79 were on skinny tyres.

chuck
29th April 2022, 09:32 PM
Well the Cruiser turned up today.

Very happy with ride quality which has surpassed my expectations.

Terrain Tamer parabolic leaf springs & smart coils with remote res adjustable coil overs.

Ended up fitting;
Suspension as above
ARB Bar with Warn 12000lb winch
Side steps & rails
ARMAX snorkel
Road Vision 9" stealth led lights
Tow bar
Reverse camera & parking sensors
Speaker pods
4 x focal speakers
Insulation in doors
Clearview compact electric mirrors
ROH Vapours
285 75 16 Maxxis AT 811's
Gearshift extension (great mod)
Colour coded steel tray
Rear rack

Am getting used to the manual transmission

Definitely needs;
Globes for headlights - recommendations welcomed
Centre console upgrade to rest elbow & for cup holders.

I am quite impressed so far as is my son and grandchildren.

Looks like this will end up being significantly cheaper than Grenadier by the time you selection an option pack, accessories and apply on road costs.

shack
29th April 2022, 10:52 PM
Hope you enjoy your new ride!!

scarry
30th April 2022, 02:19 PM
Congratulations on the new beast.I bet the mods dont stop now[wink11]

And this for the guys that work on the 1DV.

Toyota Landcruiser 1VD V8 diesel engine failure simple mistake very expensive OWNERS NEED TO WATCH - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNJEKE394E0&t=66s)

And for those that dont think they are reliable,a comment from a guy who runs either the biggest or one of the biggest workshops around here that specialises only in LC200's,also does a few 79's,and starting on 300.So almost all work is done on the V8 engined vehicles.

Out of around 290 000 that are running around we have changed 4 engines in the last 18 months or so.
Two were the result of the oil filter issue,done at other workshops.Same as above vid.
One was dusted,with huge mileage,and other lack of servicing issues.
The other high mileage,no service records,over 400 000K's,oil pump inefficient.

I wonder how many of those 290 000,are tuned,and many pull huge vans or work trailers all day,every day,so dont get an easy life.

trout1105
30th April 2022, 03:59 PM
There are over 400,000 70 series on the road in Australia alone ,That wouldn't happen if they were a POS[bigwhistle]

rar110
30th April 2022, 04:05 PM
Well the Cruiser turned up today.

Very happy with ride quality which has surpassed my expectations.

Terrain Tamer parabolic leaf springs & smart coils with remote res adjustable coil overs.

Ended up fitting;
Suspension as above
ARB Bar with Warn 12000lb winch
Side steps & rails
ARMAX snorkel
Road Vision 9" stealth led lights
Tow bar
Reverse camera & parking sensors
Speaker pods
4 x focal speakers
Insulation in doors
Clearview compact electric mirrors
ROH Vapours
285 75 16 Maxxis AT 811's
Gearshift extension (great mod)
Colour coded steel tray
Rear rack

Am getting used to the manual transmission

Definitely needs;
Globes for headlights - recommendations welcomed
Centre console upgrade to rest elbow & for cup holders.

I am quite impressed so far as is my son and grandchildren.

Looks like this will end up being significantly cheaper than Grenadier by the time you selection an option pack, accessories and apply on road costs.

Congrats. Did you do the rear track correction?

trout1105
30th April 2022, 04:11 PM
353,000 K's and still as tough as nails[bigrolf]

chuck
1st May 2022, 07:58 AM
Congrats. Did you do the rear track correction?

Yes I did correct the rear track.

scarry
1st May 2022, 08:07 AM

Going to go without a canopy?

Vern
1st May 2022, 10:23 AM
There are over 400,000 70 series on the road in Australia alone ,That wouldn't happen if they were a POS[bigwhistle]How many of those are 1vd's? How many are on their 2nd motor?

trout1105
1st May 2022, 10:48 AM
How many of those are 1vd's? How many are on their 2nd motor?

I honestly have NO idea on both counts But the majority of the 70 series utes in my area are V8's.
The property across the road from me runs a D4 and 4x 70 series utes 3 of which are V8's.

I live in a farming community and EVERYONE here has a ute of some sort and the vast majority of the utes in this area are Toyota's.
Back in the day there was quite a few Landrover Series utes plying the paddocks and the roads in this area ( myself included) But I havent seen one around here in decades, Maybe thats because Landrover stopped making no frills no nonsense work utes decades ago.

scarry
1st May 2022, 11:46 AM
How many of those are 1vd's? How many are on their 2nd motor?

Probably less than the number of D3/4,RRS,diesels, that are on their second engines.

And there would be 10 times more 1VD's around at least.

chuck
1st May 2022, 11:47 AM
Going to go without a canopy?

At this stage yes

If do go for a canopy it will be a canvas one just to put gear in.

We are not into camping that much so it more about where to put stuff when we go away.

Can get a good canvas canopy that utilises Toyota bars for about $1600.00

trout1105
1st May 2022, 12:58 PM
At this stage yes

If do go for a canopy it will be a canvas one just to put gear in.

We are not into camping that much so it more about where to put stuff when we go away.

Can get a good canvas canopy that utilises Toyota bars for about $1600.00

I have had a couple of canvas canopies in the past and I found them to be dust magnets and if anyone wants to help themselves to your gear they can do it with ease.
Also if it is ****ing down with rain no matter how well a canvas canopy is made your gear Will get wet.

Personally I much prefer the hard canopies as they are dust free, secure, waterproof and the big gullwing doors give you decent shade and a bit of cover during a downpour.[thumbsupbig]
Another advantage with a ridged canopy is that you can add a roof rack, solar panels, shovel, lights, Arial or whatever else you want, This isnt possible with a canvas canopy.

rar110
1st May 2022, 05:52 PM

People reckon it makes a big difference, which one did you go with?

trout1105
1st May 2022, 06:42 PM
People reckon it makes a big difference, which one did you go with?

I haven't done the track correct mod on my 79 and I don't have any dramas even in deep soft sand[thumbsupbig]

chuck
1st May 2022, 06:57 PM
Initially i have gone with track correction rims.

Made in South Australia 1500kg WLL.

I needed wider rims to fit the 285's

There is a some one locally that converts your own diff which i need to follow up on.

scarry
11th May 2022, 05:31 PM
This is interesting for those contemplating a 70.

Seems the 1VD is going to soldier on as well.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2023-toyota-landcruiser-70-series-sidesteps-new-safety-rules-by-switching-vehicle-categories/?fbclid=IwAR0ZSi35jeiD_AuJKhE-wZ0lDhdUuDitYbpkc1SVcxmpCnNOVwkFkAni4YM

rar110
12th May 2022, 06:34 PM
The 3500kg GVM across the 70 series range sounds like the 76 series wagon will have a load carrying capacity of over 1 tonne.

ozscott
12th May 2022, 07:43 PM
Yep. It makes a nice change for the usual Toyota appliances very low legal factory load carrying ability. I see some of the new rangers are 1000kg or so and over load capacity (whether I would touch a ranger with a barge pole...well that might be a different question). A Triton is 900kg for most models with a full tank of fuel before the load capacity is calculated (some makes say quater tank). Cheers

rar110
12th May 2022, 07:52 PM
I wonder if there are flow on changes to rate the 76 to 3500, such as bigger brakes, in addition to autonomous braking.

The several after market brake upgrade options indicate an upgrade is wanted.

Vern
12th May 2022, 08:19 PM
I wonder if there are flow on changes to rate the 76 to 3500, such as bigger brakes, in addition to autonomous braking.

The several after market brake upgrade options indicate an upgrade is wanted.In my experience, the brakes are very undesirable, they really need an upgrade. If you try to stop in a hurry, you won't.

rar110
13th May 2022, 05:56 AM
If they do an rotor upgrade the 17Ē wheels might be needed. But nothing in the article about that so prob not.

scarry
13th May 2022, 06:39 AM
Being Toyota they will do the bare minimum but sales will no doubt out strip supply,apparently itís a two year wait for a 79.

No mention of fixing the track difference either,no surprise.

trout1105
13th May 2022, 09:20 AM
Being Toyota they will do the bare minimum but sales will no doubt out strip supply,apparently itís a two year wait for a 79.

No mention of fixing the track difference either,no surprise.

When traversing blacksoil country and salt lakes that track differance is actually an advantage[thumbsupbig]

scarry
13th May 2022, 12:10 PM
When traversing blacksoil country and salt lakes that track differance is actually an advantage[thumbsupbig]

If it was that much of an advantage other vehicles would be the same.[bigrolf]

I will be surprised if the 76 has the GVM increase,but it will need to,or be ADR85 compliant.

So in actual fact the vehicles wonít be any safer,they will just be modified to get around the new safety rules,it seems.

ramblingboy42
13th May 2022, 12:46 PM
Ozscott, why wouldn't you touch a Ranger with a barge pole?

I stepped out of 8 yrs of nightmare Land Rover ownership and into 8yrs (in July) of Ford Ranger ownership ....almost a Defender 130 without the nvh, physical discomforts and reliability problems which undeniably, whether you like it or not , keep appearing on this forum.

The Ranger has not had one maintenance issue yet.

My brother in law is a highly experienced multi dealership service manager and will not have a Land Rover product in his dealership , based on previous experience and Land Rover support.

Don't want to sound like a bitch , but this is cold hard facts.....you started.

scarry
13th May 2022, 12:59 PM
We bought a work Ranger recently with, at extra cost,Heavy Duty suspension.
The HD spring models were the only ones available,unless we wanted to wait six months.
Mine spec they said,which I donít believe,just salesmanís hype.

Once loaded it didnít appear to be HD.Took it to the spring guy and he laughed.He has seen heaps of them the same.Same number of leaves,same thickness as standard springs.

We then queried Ford on the issue and they were very quick to give us a credit,or have HD springs fitted by a local spring shop.

So seems they are still up to their tricks,I wouldnít trust them with anything.

Anyway,the vehicle isnít too bad,time will tell if it is as good as the Tojoís we have had for years that have been rediculously reliable.

ozscott
13th May 2022, 10:28 PM
Ozscott, why wouldn't you touch a Ranger with a barge pole?

I stepped out of 8 yrs of nightmare Land Rover ownership and into 8yrs (in July) of Ford Ranger ownership ....almost a Defender 130 without the nvh, physical discomforts and reliability problems which undeniably, whether you like it or not , keep appearing on this forum.

The Ranger has not had one maintenance issue yet.

My brother in law is a highly experienced multi dealership service manager and will not have a Land Rover product in his dealership , based on previous experience and Land Rover support.

Don't want to sound like a bitch , but this is cold hard facts.....you started.I was comparing the Ranger with other Thai utes...now compared to the LR...well no argument from me as much as I love older Land Rovers. Cheers

spudfan
14th May 2022, 01:21 AM
In Europe there are reports of car manufacturers lobbying the politicians to have the weight limit on the standard car licence increased. Seems cars are getting heavier due to the amount of battaries needed for the EV revolution. So to have a decent carrying capacity on top of the original weight the car could exceed the current weight limit on the standard car licence.

TonyC
14th May 2022, 11:04 AM
In Europe there are reports of car manufacturers lobbying the politicians to have the weight limit on the standard car licence increased. Seems cars are getting heavier due to the amount of battaries needed for the EV revolution. So to have a decent carrying capacity on top of the original weight the car could exceed the current weight limit on the standard car licence.Spud,
What is the the weight limit for a car licence in Europe?
It's 4,500kg in Australia, plus whatever your towing.

Tony

trout1105
14th May 2022, 12:54 PM
I think k in tbe UK is is the weight of a mini minor with allowances for 2 bags of shopping from Tesco [bigwhistle]

3toes
15th May 2022, 06:02 AM
For a light commercial vehicle it is Gross Vehicle Weight 3.5 t

At this point you are then subject to the strange rule where an LGV speed limit which except on a freeway are lower than for a car

Your vehicle speed limit here varies depending on the vehicle class and has further limits for towing. All using the same road but at different speeds

Pushing a vehicle into the LGV category would hurt sales for this reason

3toes
15th May 2022, 06:10 AM
Forgot to say if you passed your driving test before 1997 it was 8t

spudfan
17th May 2022, 04:37 AM
Spud,
What is the the weight limit for a car licence in Europe?
It's 4,500kg in Australia, plus whatever your towing.

Tony
The standard car licence entitles you to drive 3500kg gvm and up to eight passengers.

Driving licence in the Republic of Ireland - Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland)