PDA

View Full Version : BMW to charge a monthly fee to activate certain features?

p38arover
14th July 2022, 12:37 PM
'Tis a good thing my BMW-based L322 has these as standard.

BMW introduces new heated seat subscription in UK - BBC News (https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-62142208)

How soon before the idea propogates to other manufacturers or until the hackers find a way around it?

BradC
14th July 2022, 01:40 PM
How soon before the idea propogates to other manufacturers

Depends on what the market does. If people buy and subscribe it'll spread like wildfire. If people buy other makes and the sales figures drop it'll be shelved.

tc_s1
14th July 2022, 10:07 PM
It's nonsense like this and other silicone based failures against good mechanical sense that keep me driving 110's made before this century.....

spudfan
15th July 2022, 12:07 AM
Some more info on the BMW thing.
I suppose it makes vehicle assembly easier, quicker and cheaper if all vehicles are the same. If you want the function just pay and they will switch it on.
MSN (https://www.msn.com/en-ie/money/technology/bmw-is-now-apparently-selling-heated-seat-subscriptions-in-its-cars/ar-AAZxXuB?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=41edaa25d3a04d5b9b0bd47ee8be6996)

spudfan
15th July 2022, 12:09 AM
It's nonsense like this and other silicone based failures against good mechanical sense that keep me driving 110's made before this century.....

My wife does not have any "silicon features" either and she is definately of the last century[bigsmile]

3toes
16th July 2022, 05:28 AM
BMW has now announced this subscription based service is going live in Australia too. Interesting that even safety features are included in subscription costs

Tesla has done similar for years so it is not new. With a used Tesla you have to pay again to activate the option features even if the previous own had already paid for them

Ferret
16th July 2022, 10:30 AM
How long before we get '2 free starts each day' with our new purchase?

sarcasm.

3toes
16th July 2022, 06:59 PM
Two free starts you are aiming high or is that a limited promotional offer ??

Homestar
16th July 2022, 07:11 PM
Iíd just find the wiring under the seat and connect up a new switch on the dash - butI wouldnít buy anything like that in the first place and Iím guessing the numptys that do wouldnít know how to bypass it.

prelude
18th July 2022, 04:49 PM
I worked for BMW 4 years ago and I can tell you; they don't want you to own a car anymore soon anyway or at least, they are preparing for it.

They are gearing up (with self driving of course) to become a sort of uber, you don't own a BMW you call for one.

The monthly subscription fee thingy is indeed because of manufacturing costs/ease. This has been going on for quite some time and it will only get worse.

-P

p38arover
18th July 2022, 06:58 PM
John Cadogen just did a video on this.

ChookD2
18th July 2022, 07:06 PM
John Cadogen just did a video on this.

There's a man who should have his Youtube licence revoked. [bigwhistle]

p38arover
19th July 2022, 11:12 AM
Why?

ChookD2
19th July 2022, 12:23 PM
Dude has a some sort of superiority fantasy/complex, comes across like.......

"If you don't agree with me then you are wrong and should be eradicated from the gene pool."
"Let me give you your opinion."

Hence I don't watch his tripe.

p38arover
19th July 2022, 12:40 PM
I disagree with you.

loanrangie
19th July 2022, 04:22 PM
I'm really surprised BMW are allowed to get away with it, surely a law suit or two coming soon.

towe0609
19th July 2022, 05:01 PM
The BMW 'user pays' model seems OK to me ... if only the users really do pay their fair share.

ie. There are a group who paid up front for the extra thing (in this case heated seats), and there are a group who didn't.

There is a total cost to BMW - every car actually has the hardware - same total cost of production if you like.

Rather than all BMW purchasers paying a share of that total cost, regardless of use, those that want the extra thing pay their share of the additional cost of the extra thing in all the cars (including the marginal extra cost of putting the same hardware in the cars that never use it assuming there is one).

Those that want to 'buy in' later, also become part of the group sharing the additional cost.

Those that didn't want it, are hopefully not sharing the cost. They might have the capable hardware, but they hopefully didn't pay anything for it ie. they only pay what the cost would have been to put non-heated seats in every car.

If this is the case, then it's the 'heated seats crowd' who should be mad about it, as they not only paid for their own heated seats, but for additional costs of heated seats going unused in base models.

However the pricing of heated seats is unlikely to be based on a fair distribution of the overall costs of production. I'm no economist, but pricing is probably based on price elasticity of demand. Only BMW would have any idea of who's paying a fair share relative to the cost of production.

I would never pay for heated seats if it could be avoided. I did however use them in my partners Subaru Forrester a few days back, and for 2 mins it was nice. I hope they were not too expensive.

akovach
21st July 2022, 07:39 AM
When the news first came out, it was intimated that BMW took the feature away and then tried to get people to pay to get it back. I don't think that's true. So if it's based on getting a feature that you don't have, I don't think it's unreasonable.

LoveMyV8County
21st July 2022, 10:03 AM
When the news first came out, it was intimated that BMW took the feature away and then tried to get people to pay to get it back. I don't think that's true. So if it's based on getting a feature that you don't have, I don't think it's unreasonable.

Yes, this is how I understand it too (my wife has a BMW, lucky she already has the feature, it's probably her absolute most favourite thing about the car)

jh972
21st July 2022, 01:37 PM
It's not "getting the feature" that's the problem, it's the ongoing monthly cost.

Slunnie
21st July 2022, 01:37 PM
People will quickly hack the system and gain access to the options. I mean, they do own the car.

Ferret
21st July 2022, 06:03 PM
People will quickly hack the system and gain access to the options...

That will eventually be made illegal (maybe current laws already cover it) as it has been done in the software / hardware industry - bypassing DRM etc.

Who's going to know? Your vehicle will report it. You will not be allowed access to the bonnet etc. That's already being done.

I mean, they do own the car.

That will eventually be fixed to.

Homestar
22nd July 2022, 07:04 AM
That will eventually be made illegal (maybe current laws already cover it) as it has been done in the software / hardware industry - bypassing DRM etc.

Who's going to know? Your vehicle will report it. You will not be allowed access to the bonnet etc. That's already being done.

That will eventually be fixed to.

It's actually slowly starting to move the other way - right to repair is staring to gain a lot of momentum and OEM's are already starting to back off in certain areas. In the USA now the RTR is pushing (and paying senators like the OEM's do) that things aren't going the way the OEM's want. RTR has some big money behind it and that's all that's been missing on making a dent in the way things will happen. A long way to go but I think we'll see changes. I also wouldn't buy any car that has any features like that - I'll keep the old Camry if needed - it will outlive all this new crap anyway.

After the nuclear war that's coming, all you'll see is cockroaches driving Camry's - they will be the only survivors. [biggrin]

Arch
22nd July 2022, 09:08 AM
There's a man who should have his Youtube licence revoked. [bigwhistle]

Have you listened to him lately? I is actually very good at sifting through BS - particularly BS from the auto industry.

I was very anti him myself, I couldn't sit through the first 10mins of his videos... but then I scrolled past that and now I'm a fan.

This podcast is particularly good:

FAT CHAT! Podcast with deadset legends Michael West & David McBride | Auto Expert John Cadogan - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUD73S7-liU)

p38arover
22nd July 2022, 09:24 AM
Itís happening already! BMW have turned off the heated seats in my L322 (BMW electronics). They used to work, now the heated seat lights donít even turn on. :(

ChookD2
22nd July 2022, 07:31 PM
Have you listened to him lately? I is actually very good at sifting through BS - particularly BS from the auto industry.

I was very anti him myself, I couldn't sit through the first 10mins of his videos... but then I scrolled past that and now I'm a fan.

This podcast is particularly good:

FAT CHAT! Podcast with deadset legends Michael West & David McBride | Auto Expert John Cadogan - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUD73S7-liU)

Honestly..... I think I'd rather have my nose and ears waxed.

RANDLOVER
7th August 2022, 07:23 AM
I wonder if the manufacturers will let you turn off the trailer assist, sway control, etc, functions and send a refund during the times you're not towing?