PDA

View Full Version : Gps For Dummeys

Rob Bruce
28th July 2006, 06:59 PM
I am looking for a GPS, the more I read the moor confused I get,
Basicaly just need something user frendly for the not so computor literate,
I need towns, cities, and to be able to use it in the bush.
Can anyone help?
What to look for and what you think is good.
Do all come with all maping.
:confused:
Rob

one_iota
28th July 2006, 08:46 PM
There are basicalliy two types:

Those that tell where you are...and those that tell where you want to go to.

what sort of navigation do you want?:D

Rob Bruce
29th July 2006, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the info. I would like to know where I am as well as guide me to where I want to go.
I would like to use it for roads as well as in the bush.
From what I can see the hand held tipe with a in car mount seems what most others find most usefull as it can be used for exploring on foot as well.
Any ideas what brand and programs maps they have in them or do you have to get them seperatly.

Rob

Bush65
30th July 2006, 08:41 AM
As one_iota said, 2 types. AFAIK not 1 which does a good job at both.

For the gps recievers with best mapping for 4wd tracks, choose from those which can upload maps (preferably to data cards).

Then for magellans, use the Discover Aus maps.

For garmins, the Oztopo maps from GPSOz (need garmin mapsource software to upload to the gps reciever).

I use oziexplorer on a laptop with a great gps mouse from here http://cgi.ebay.com.au/USB-Mini-Mouse-GPS-Receiver-FREE-Shipping-Software_W0QQitemZ9711297968QQcategoryZ34290QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

I also have a magellan and garmin mapping gps recievers (and a furuno in a boat).

If you have paper maps of the 4wd track/areas you wish to visit, normal garden variety gps recievers will give you map coordinates of your location, so you can reference the paper maps.

Oziexplorer is good for planning trips, creating waypoints and routes that you upload to the gps reciever. And many other uses, such as saving tracks that are not shown on maps.

On a recent trip to Sydney, I rode with someone who had installed one of the new garmin nuvi gps recievers. This was my 1st experience with the type that guide you to a destination. It worked very well. But IMHO you need the other type for 4wd trips.