PDA

View Full Version : SRS dash light. Discovery S11

charlito
12th September 2006, 09:33 PM
Trouble with SRS light staying on? Have you moved your seats recently? If so,slide them back and foward,pull seat belts in and out, make sure back seats are located properly as there are sensors in the seat belt tensioners. Now turn on ignition and see if the light stays off. May not work for you but it certainly did for me and saved a trip to a Landrover dealer plus of course the cost. :) :)

LandyAndy
12th September 2006, 09:44 PM
Hi Charlito
I have my SRS light more on than off,I will try your method,in my case Im pretty sure its a low voltage problem,its a 1200m round trip to work.Do anysort of long trip it goes away,BUT hit a big bump it comes on.I need a Rovacom probe to confirm either way.
Andrew

Slunnie
12th September 2006, 10:01 PM
I've had this also. Make sure all of the plugs under the seat are pressed in properly. The front seat belts have a pyrotechnic pretensioning device and the BCU constantly monitors its operation amongst other things. If the plugs under the seat get a bit gritty, loose, dirty etc, then the test voltage to the pretentioners comes up faulty and the SRS light comes on.

Pedro_The_Swift
13th September 2006, 09:22 AM
a constant concern as Mrs Pedro and I like the steering at different heights,,

we just have to remember to change heights BEFORE starting the car and it usually is not a problem,,

the REAL question is,,
if the SRS light is on---
do the airbags deploy when needed?

BigJon
13th September 2006, 10:15 AM
the REAL question is,,

Maybe... That sort of warning light will come to tell you of a potential fault and to alert you to the fact that the system might not work correctly.

LandyAndy
14th September 2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks Charlito
My SRS light was on yesterday morn,I did the wriggle the plugs under the seat tip and re-started no SRS light,and it hasnt returned after an overnite trip to the city.
OVER THE MOON:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
It adds up to why the light would come on after a large bump.
Andrew

charlito
14th September 2006, 08:51 PM
Hi Landyandy. So pleased it worked for you. No what you mean over the moon! I was too......... but it took a long time to work it out and my light is still off. YES! :) :) :)

DEFENDERZOOK
14th September 2006, 11:19 PM
gotta love this site.....free advice.....

try and get that sort of service from a stealer.....:wasntme:

Pedro_The_Swift
15th September 2006, 06:50 PM
I dunno,, we NEVER move the seat---
but move the column and bingo--.

Wil2k
21st April 2009, 08:30 PM
Hey thanks everyone..

My 2001 disco II TD5's SRS light came on today while I was picking up the kids.. naturally I freaked out light any calm person would, and resigned myself to a trip to a landy tech.

After reading several threads on the forum, turns out the ol' clean the contacts under the seat trick worked for me. It was the plug under the passenger seat this time, but I cleaned both while I was messing with my CD Changer.

:)

Wil

sniegy
21st April 2009, 09:34 PM
I dunno,, we NEVER move the seat---
but move the column and bingo--.
Pedro,
That will most likely be a clock spring (the connection behind the s/wheel that connects all the wiring/airbag etc to make the steering wheel turn & not jam the wiring) or a connector that sits under the s/wheel panel. This can come loose & get dirty from all the dust.

Try cleaning all these first & see how you go.

Cheers;)

zulu Delta 534
22nd April 2009, 11:08 AM
So perhaps there is hope for me yet. My SRS light has been on for about 5 years now, simply came on and stayed on.
About 12 months after this occurrence the missus was shopping at Woollies or somewhere, was putting some groceries in the back and heard a minor explosion and saw a puff of smoke in the passenger seat area. Most alarmed, she rang home and we sorted out that the car started normally, there was no fire, no electrical problem obvious, so she drove it home.
The Passenger seat belt pre-tensioner had gone off, probably because it was Wednesday or some other obscure reason.
Visited S.......e Landrover in Brisbane and was told I was a liar and had obviously had an accident as these things don't go off.
So now I don't have airbags (which is irrelevant as the use by lifespan of these articles has expired!) and the passenger has to search 2" lower for the seatbelt receptor, and I can live with both these facts quite easily.
Regards
Glen

stony
19th May 2010, 04:47 PM
I had some auxilliary fuel tanks fitted today and the power was picked up from the White ignition wire inside at the fuse box. Since then the SRS light has stayed on. :( The Nanocom shows no faults & I've disconnected the battery for 10 mins but no luck. The installer reckons the White wire is the ignition wire on LR and he has always picked up power from this point.......any ideas???

yours in anticipation

Daryl

LandyAndy
19th May 2010, 09:50 PM
TRY the yellow connectors under both front seats,the other work may be a coincidence.

EDIT,also check the yellow connector behind the glovebox!!!
GOODLUCK
Andrew

stony
19th May 2010, 10:11 PM
TRY the yellow connectors under both front seats,the other work may be a coincidence.

EDIT,also check the yellow connector behind the glovebox!!!
GOODLUCK
Andrew

Thanks Andrew. I'll look tomorrow (didn't know of the one behind the glovebox)

cheers

Daryl

DiscoMick
20th May 2010, 06:39 AM
I also have this fault. Guess what I'll be doing on Sat. morning?

Yorkie
20th May 2010, 09:39 AM
yep, came up again for me recently, behind the glove box is the culprit.
suggest use the glove box for not much more than that and should not affect the wires behind....:D

adonuff
20th May 2010, 03:49 PM
gotta love this site.....free advice.....

try and get that sort of service from a stealer.....:wasntme:

X 2. The knowledge base on here is invaluable!

DiscoMick
20th May 2010, 08:42 PM
Think I'll go looking on Saturday. So that's one under each front seat - where exactly? Is the glovebox one in the glovebox or behind it? Is it easy to get at?
With these plugs, do you just pull them apart, clean them and push them back together or is there another trick? What stops them coming apart again? Would it help to tape over the joints to hold them together?

Razzy
1st March 2011, 07:14 PM
Fantastic!!!! Simply unplugging and reconnecting the yellow sensor plug under the drivers seat did the trick:):) Cheers

DiscoMick
3rd March 2011, 01:19 PM
Where - under the driver's seat? I'll look for it tonight.

ramblingboy42
3rd March 2011, 05:15 PM
hmmm If I follow the advice here I'll lose that little reassuring red glow I've had for so long.....its like a friend

Mudsloth
8th March 2011, 07:41 PM
a constant concern as Mrs Pedro and I like the steering at different heights,,

we just have to remember to change heights BEFORE starting the car and it usually is not a problem,,

the REAL question is,,

I'd be more worried about them deploying when not needed.......

Mines a series 1 but I would imagine the sensor is in the same place, under the storage compartment of the center arm rest/console thingy. I unplugged the chip, blew the dust out of the connectors and it's been fine ever since. The other method is a piece of black electrical tape over the light. Works a treat.

DiscoMick
9th March 2011, 04:08 PM
I've been out looking in my D1 and I can't find it. There doesn't seem to be anything under either front seat. I lifted up the centre console and found the wiring for the electric windows and a lead running to the light in the transmission tunnel, but can't find anything else. All i did was scratch my arm and make it bleed. Any more description of what I'm looking for and where to find it would be appreciated.

Mudsloth
9th March 2011, 08:00 PM
I've been out looking in my D1 and I can't find it. There doesn't seem to be anything under either front seat. I lifted up the centre console and found the wiring for the electric windows and a lead running to the light in the transmission tunnel, but can't find anything else. All i did was scratch my arm and make it bleed. Any more description of what I'm looking for and where to find it would be appreciated.

Like i said mines a series 1 and yours is prob different. I have a manual and this is how i accessed the in cab module. I unscrewed and removed both gear sticks. I undid 2 screws that secure console to dash. I removed 4 screws inside storage box that secured console to floor. I adjusted handbrake so it was loose enough to get maximum height from the handle and then removed center console altogether. If you are careful you can place it on the passenger seat without breaking your electric window switches. remember to unplug cigarette lighter plug at rear. With center console removed I can see a big module with SRS clearly marked on it and a thick yellow harness that runs besides the drivers seat to to the fuse box. I can't imagine how you got your arm in there without at least lifting the rear of the console.

Follow this link mudsloths4x4 (http://mudsloths4x4.webs.com/) , click on the link that says manual, it is the workshop manual for a few landrovers including the disco. Although it doesn't reference the module i'm talking about it will show you the locations of the other sensors. The steering wheel module itself may be shagged.

Redback
10th March 2011, 07:41 AM
I have this also, it is something to do with the weight sensor switch under the seat, we've tried all sorts of things to fix it, with no success, pretty much given up.

Baz.

DiscoMick
10th March 2011, 07:44 AM
Thanks for both replies. Today I'm gunna pull the centre console off properly as suggested above and have a look around.

roverv8
10th March 2011, 08:13 AM
I can see a big module with SRS clearly marked on it and a thick yellow harness

I had a 96 Disco, it also had no yellow plugs to the seats, but it did have that yellow SRS module under the console.

this module failed on me also, SRS light on all the time.
it has a number on the top of it which i was able to match from someone wrecking a RR-P38.

I disconnected the battery & plugged the replacment one in.
reconnected the battery and started the vehicle and bingo, no SRS light or faults to be cleared.

Yorkie
10th March 2011, 10:35 AM
I have this also, it is something to do with the weight sensor switch under the seat, we've tried all sorts of things to fix it, with no success, pretty much given up.

Baz.

for the d2 try the yellow connector behind the pax glove box, you can see it without taking the glovebox out. gave mine a wriggle and spray with contact cleaner and light is off.

cheers

Redback
10th March 2011, 01:04 PM
for the d2 try the yellow connector behind the pax glove box, you can see it without taking the glovebox out. gave mine a wriggle and spray with contact cleaner and light is off.

cheers

Thanks Liam, I'll try that, let you know on the weekend how it went:D

Scouse
11th March 2011, 10:05 AM
I've been out looking in my D1 and I can't find it. There doesn't seem to be anything under either front seat. I lifted up the centre console and found the wiring for the electric windows and a lead running to the light in the transmission tunnel, but can't find anything else. All i did was scratch my arm and make it bleed. Any more description of what I'm looking for and where to find it would be appreciated.D1's don't have seat belt pre-tensioners like D2's have so there's nothing under the seats.

If you have an 'MA' D1, the harness will also run to sensors in the engine bay - it's a yellow harness.

DiscoMick
11th March 2011, 04:07 PM
Thanks. Its a 1995 D1 Tdi. Where in the engine bay would I find the harness?

Mudsloth
11th March 2011, 05:15 PM
Thanks. Its a 1995 D1 Tdi. Where in the engine bay would I find the harness?

Look at the link I put up, it;s the owners manual just type in srs in the search box, and they are roughly behind the headlights. oops I though you were looking for the sensors, apologies, but i guess they will be attached to he harness....

DiscoMick
11th March 2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks, Ill have a look tomorrow. Would prefer to figure this out without having to pay someone, if possible.

Meanderthal
17th August 2012, 03:58 PM
Hi guys,

I have a '99 Disco 2 and drove to work today with the SRS light on all the way in. Pulled the plug out under both front seats and one behind the glove box and then reconnected them and... no more SRS light on start up.

Brilliant information!

Fingers crossed for the ride home.

Disco Driver
9th September 2014, 08:09 AM
Well my lights came permanently on and I was concerned when my Nanocom said "Permanent Ground and Live Short". With-in 15 minutes, I'd found this thread and disconnected the said connections, re-tensioned female electrical pins and re-connected.

NO MORE LIGHTS!!!! ....(and no more faults coming up!)

Gotta love this Forum and our great L.R. Community! THANK YOU!!

Rohan79
11th July 2015, 03:12 PM
I sprayed both air bag connector wires with contact cleaner, restarted the car and bingo light has gone. Thanks for the tip guys. This site is a life saver. I've only owned my 2001 Discovery 2 TD5 for less than a week and you have saved me big bucks. Big thanks to you all.

Kandy
14th December 2018, 03:56 PM
Great information from everyone as it actually worked .Shouldnt be such a cynic. SRS light stayed on in the driveway I was on the way to golf, not game to drive further, out with all the gear and into Pearl D4 and on my way. Looked AULRO up later, off to the shed to Kandy, pulled both seats backward and forward, checked those yellow connectors, solid, moved seat belts in and out, banged the air bag on the wheel and above the glove box, opened the glove box and slammed it shut, on with the ignition, bloody SRS light went off and stayed off! Very"Irish"mechanics but it worked and still off after driving around,\. Thanks all, Merry Xmas.