PDA

View Full Version : HF Radio

Bushie
15th September 2006, 09:30 AM
Guys, Ive just secured myself a Codan 8528, that I now have to mount in the defender somewhere. It doesn't have a remote head so it needs to be visible/accessible.

Any ideas pic would be appreciated

Martyn

George130
15th September 2006, 12:20 PM
They are big buggers arn't they? Maybe in the centre console.

Dinty
15th September 2006, 12:31 PM
G'day All, Bushie is it a Marine radio, my 8528 has a remote head and yes it was difficult to mount in my 110 (cables etc) the control unit (for the want of a better word) is mounted in the back on the lhs, I dont know how to post pix so I can't show you anyway hope you get it sorted cheers Dennis:wasntme:
PS very reliable unit I have owned it now for almost 17 years:D

Xtreme
15th September 2006, 01:25 PM
The LROC (Sydney Bch) is having an HF radio familiarisation/training weekend this Sat/Sun in lower Blue Mtns. Might be a good place to see a few different installations - not sure though whether there will be any of your model there.

Roger

Bushie
15th September 2006, 05:54 PM
Roger,

Am aware to the weekend at Kurrajong unfortunately work has me tied up this weekend (or at least Sat morning & Sun afternoon) by the time I could get up to Kurrajong it probably wouldn't be worth it. :(

Martyn

numpty
15th September 2006, 07:03 PM
Guys, Ive just secured myself a Codan 8528, that I now have to mount in the defender somewhere. It doesn't have a remote head so it needs to be visible/accessible.

Any ideas pic would be appreciated

Martyn

G'day Mar Tyn.

If it's the one I think it is, yes they're a big bugger.

The only conceivable place I think is to redesign the centre console and incorporate it there. Would cut down on storage, but would be operable from there.

Bushie
15th September 2006, 07:10 PM
G'day Mar Tyn.

If it's the one I think it is, yes they're a big bugger.

The only conceivable place I think is to redesign the centre console and incorporate it there. Would cut down on storage, but would be operable from there.
Hadn't thought about that. Might be the go, console just gets filled with stuff that doesn't get used that often and buried under everyting else.

Martyn

disconut
15th September 2006, 08:15 PM
Could you lay it on the sloping face of the console with the controls or screen etc facing up toward the lid. Modify the cup holder section or cut it to suit for the wiring etc. Build two new dummy side panels and cover the top of the radio with a ply panel. That way you storage is untouched. Then re vinyl the unit. Should look neat and tidy.

Trev.

Xtreme
15th September 2006, 08:34 PM
Roger,

Am aware to the weekend at Kurrajong unfortunately work has me tied up this weekend (or at least Sat morning & Sun afternoon) by the time I could get up to Kurrajong it probably wouldn't be worth it. :(

Martyn

I'm not familiar with the 8528 but if there are any up at Kurrajong on the weekend, I'll get some pics and post them here. I think our Driver Training Officer has an 8528 mounted in a Defender but is'nt going this W/E, however he lives close by so if none turn up at Kurrajong I'll call into him on Sunday arvo and get some pics then.

Roger